Author Topic: Das Keyboard II  (Read 4096 times)

Offline niplfsh

Das Keyboard II
« on: Sat, 17 July 2010, 19:44:25 »
I'm looking for opinions on this keyboard... I like the design better than the newer Das's.  I've also had my eye on the Majestouch... it's very attractive but also pretty expensive.   I like blank keycaps, because I don't look at the keyboard anyway and the idea of flustering anyone who tries to use my computer is appealing.  If you could get a Das II on the cheap, would you do it? Are there any major annoyances that I should know about?
"No, Mr. Gold Bond, I expect you to dry."

Offline Henry

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 00:46:43 »
It is basically a Cherry G80-3000 with blue switches and blank keys. In my opinion there aren't major annoyances, but keep in mind that:
  • Its construction feels a bit cheap compared to higher quality and plate-mounted keyboards such as Filcos. On the other hand some people prefer the key feel of PCB-mounted cherry switches.
  • Its footprint is foolishly big for a full layout keyboard.
  • There is a green (i.e. stronger) switch under the spacebar, which some people don't like.
  • It is 2-key rollover and the IBM style matrix can make your favorite FPS game unplayable.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2010, 00:49:27 by Henry »

Offline porgo

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 03:11:19 »
Quote from: Henry;203789
  • It is 2-key rollover and the IBM style matrix can make your favorite FPS game unplayable.

What does this mean? I mean, I did have some tough time with some games because with Das I had to take an entirely different approach to it. In FPSes, haven't had trouble.
There are no ESC keys in prison (poor vim users)

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
Das Keyboard II
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 03:25:05 »
@Henry : Thanx for the tip about the green cherry spacebar. I updated my DAS K2 review with a new picture of it.... :-)
No NKRO? Didn't know that -> also updated the review because of this.

Regards
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline In Stereo!

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 04:48:56 »
It is a good typing clicky keyboard. If cheap, I'd take it anytime. Still prefer the the platemounted switches, though.

Offline Henry

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 08:44:42 »
Quote from: porgo;203803
What does this mean? I mean, I did have some tough time with some games because with Das I had to take an entirely different approach to it. In FPSes, haven't had trouble.

I'm not much of a gamer, I said FPSes because such games become really unplayable if a key combo you use happens to block, while you might be able to find a workaround in a RTS, for instance.

Offline niplfsh

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 09:06:35 »
Thanks for the responses... I'm not really worried about the rollover, I have an old N52 laying around for the rare occasion that I play an FPS.  I do mostly turn-based strategy nowadays (gettin' old... :biggrin: ).

I think I'll just go for it. This being my first mechanical keyboard I'm a bit paranoid about spending $150 for a Filco right away.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 21:19:15 »
Quote from: SirClickAlot;203805
@Henry : Thanx for the tip about the green cherry spacebar. I updated my DAS K2 review with a new picture of it.... :-)
No NKRO? Didn't know that -> also updated the review because of this.

Regards

Did you really pay €150 for this keyboard? Don't get me wrong, I love my G80-3000 a lot.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 July 2010, 21:22:06 »
Quote from: niplfsh;203827
Thanks for the responses... I'm not really worried about the rollover, I have an old N52 laying around for the rare occasion that I play an FPS.  I do mostly turn-based strategy nowadays (gettin' old... :biggrin: ).

I think I'll just go for it. This being my first mechanical keyboard I'm a bit paranoid about spending $150 for a Filco right away.

How much are you paying if I may ask? I have the same model but with Chinese characters on the keys beside the Western Alphabet. It's not a fancy keyboad, and it may feel cheap like some have said, but make no mistake, it's a great keyboard. I love mine so much that I have a spare. This is the only keyboard for which I bought a spare.

Offline SirClickAlot

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 02:29:44 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;203988
Did you really pay €150 for this keyboard? Don't get me wrong, I love my G80-3000 a lot.

Yes, it amounted to that sum. ( Board , postal , taxes ) It was a long time ago though so this sum is an estimate.

Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):

Offline British

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 03:59:08 »
Quote from: Henry;203826
I'm not much of a gamer, I said FPSes because such games become really unplayable if a key combo you use happens to block, while you might be able to find a workaround in a RTS, for instance.

Mileages do vary, it seems.
I've played mostly FPS for the last decade on a Dell QuietKey (I doubt it's full NKRO), and never really had any problem with it besides the very occasional key not registering while I was crouching AND zooming AND moving forward AND straffing AND firing AND... well, you get the idea.

Also, from what I gathered around forums, it seems like quite a few people have problems with 2-KRO because they are using arrows keys or numpad for their movements.
If I'm not mistaken, the matrix at/around WASD is made in such a way that 95% of the time you won't be bothered (yep, that's a highly scientific statement).
Maybe that was your problem, Henry... or you may want to elaborate a bit more on "unplayable"... though it might not be the best place to do that :smile:

Offline patrickgeekhack

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 09:06:53 »
Quote from: SirClickAlot;204022
Yes, it amounted to that sum. ( Board , postal , taxes ) It was a long time ago though so this sum is an estimate.

I see. Taxes and shipping can add up pretty quickly.

Offline Thaxll'ssillyia

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 July 2010, 09:53:58 »
In the area qwerasdfyxcv the G80-3000 has a NKRO of 4, i play numerous FPS games and never had problems with keys not registering.

Offline niplfsh

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 11:29:11 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;203989
How much are you paying if I may ask? I have the same model but with Chinese characters on the keys beside the Western Alphabet. It's not a fancy keyboad, and it may feel cheap like some have said, but make no mistake, it's a great keyboard. I love mine so much that I have a spare. This is the only keyboard for which I bought a spare.

I paid $65 for it... I thought that seemed like a decent price. I hope I'm right :P

Offline SirClickAlot

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 13:00:20 »
Quote from: niplfsh;205278
I paid $65 for it... I thought that seemed like a decent price. I hope I'm right :P

That's a very decent price! :-)

Offline niplfsh

Das Keyboard II
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 July 2010, 20:31:43 »
Yeah, and the keyboard just arrived today. I'm typing this out on it.  Man, I like this thing... already feels way better than my G11.