Author Topic: Das Keyboard III PS/2 Adapter  (Read 2538 times)

Offline outofideas

Das Keyboard III PS/2 Adapter
« on: Mon, 21 July 2008, 16:21:04 »
I just received a Das Keyboard III.  I like the feel and construction and such so far.  The feel is a little lighter than my model M, but still there's a definite click.  The sound is different enough that it'll take some getting used to, but so far so good.

But, unfortunately, I can't connect it to my old PS/2 based KVM switch, which is the nerve center of my current computer setup.  I'm currently using synergy to let me test it out, but having to switch both the KVM and synergy is a pain.

I've tried one of the little passive adapters, i.e. the ones that have come with most mice for the past 8+ years.  And it doesn't work.  I asked the Das Keyboard people about it and they said that the Das Keyboard III is not PS/2 compatible.

Does anyone know of an active adapter that would let me plug the Das Keyboard III into a PS/2 port?  Thanks.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 July 2008, 16:48:28 »
how many ports is your KVM?  Might be a good time for an upgrade.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 July 2008, 16:49:35 »
I've tried one of the little passive adapters, i.e. the ones that have come with most mice for the past 8+ years. And it doesn't work. I asked the Das Keyboard people about it and they said that the Das Keyboard III is not PS/2 compatible.

Thats just great. I have a 4 port KVM with PS/2 connections. Let me know what you find, as I will need one too.

Found this at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817402023
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline outofideas

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 July 2008, 17:10:49 »
It's an 8 port(though I only have 6 cable sets), so it's not easy/cheap to replace unfortunately.   I've got 3 computers I use constantly, a 4th that's used often and the 5th and 6th get swapped around to various older machines, and laptops and such.

I plan to get a new desk and change my config to have more monitors, which may conceivably let me drop down to a 4 port DVI switch+synergy or something like that.  But that may not happen for a year or more.

I have spent some quality time with google trying to find a non passive adapter, with no results so far.  So if it exists it's not easy to find, or else I don't know what I should be looking for.

Another option would be to find/make a software controllable video switch and somehow integrate control of it into synergy.  That would be a very slick solution, but it'd take a lot of effort.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 July 2008, 17:25:45 »
Check out Monoprice.com.  They have USB KVM Switches (and some with DVI) at a great price.  I have a couple of them, one with removable cables, one without; and they both work great.