Author Topic: WASD CODE 60% (Vortex & WASD Collab.)  (Read 7093 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
WASD CODE 60% (Vortex & WASD Collab.)
« on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 15:10:15 »
I just received an email alert from WASDkeyboards.com about the CODE 60%. Any you have thoughts about this? The keycaps aren't the best but it is a collaboration with Vortex.

One little excerpt that caught my attention
Multimedia Shortcuts
- Play, Stop, Next, Prev, Vol Up, Vol Down, and Mute shortcuts
Looks like WASD brought full media control functionality to the Pok3r 60%.
+ Metal Case  :eek:

Edit - Pic
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 15:13:06 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: WASD CODE 60% (Vortex & WASD Collab.)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 15:57:48 »
Eh, nothing really new tbh. There's already boards that look exactly like that are fully programmable anyway.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 16:00:24 »
I wish the caps the CODE came with weren't such garbage. If they are working with Vortex they should do something about that. Good, stock backlight compatible caps would be nice. This is not something I would buy, but that would at least makes it somewhat unique. Media keys are good thing, too.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 16:18:11 »
Got the email as well

And like most
I don't think it's anything special

Just reminds me of a poker.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 16:36:58 »
I wish the caps the CODE came with weren't such garbage. If they are working with Vortex they should do something about that. Good, stock backlight compatible caps would be nice. This is not something I would buy, but that would at least makes it somewhat unique. Media keys are good thing, too.
Full media key functionality out of the box is the only detail that really caught my eye. Same CODE caps  :(
Chris Schammert

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 16:41:42 »
1+ years ago WASD told me they would roll out a new product in ~1 year, I hoped for an aluminium TKL with internal padding pads etc.

Certainly didn't expect a re-branded lousy poker with a white plate, I mean, go with a black plate at least ...

IMO, they should make their own keyboards, if they are going to re-brand another keyboard, I would buy a Varmilo VA68M, with no tramp stamps, and costar stabs instead of cherry stabs
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:09:01 »
1+ years ago WASD told me they would roll out a new product in ~1 year, I hoped for an aluminium TKL with internal padding pads etc.

Certainly didn't expect a re-branded lousy poker with a white plate, I mean, go with a black plate at least ...

IMO, they should make their own keyboards, if they are going to re-brand another keyboard, I would buy a Varmilo VA68M, with no tramp stamps, and costar stabs instead of cherry stabs

I have no comment about the rest of this thread but you prefer costar? I mean no hate, to each their own. I have some wacky-shack keyboards. I've always been firmly on cherry > costar, though.

Offline pastapinata

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:09:48 »
well im a n00b. so i bought one  :p :p :p. my 2nd mech keyboard coming from a k70. dont laugh at me.

Offline NiceAndCreamy

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:24:56 »
So you pay more for less? I don't get it.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:26:06 »

I have no comment about the rest of this thread but you prefer costar? I mean no hate, to each their own. I have some wacky-shack keyboards. I've always been firmly on cherry > costar, though.

Costar seems so tedius. This is why I was looking at the QFR-i a while ago. I thought it was weird how everyone in the QFR-I review Youtube videos poked fun at the 'I', and completely missed the fact that the board has Cherry stabilizers installed.

well im a n00b. so i bought one  :p :p :p. my 2nd mech keyboard coming from a k70. dont laugh at me.
Let me know how you like it. I'm definitely curious about the keyboard  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:30:45 by csmertx »
Chris Schammert

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:27:33 »
Another Poker X clone, there is nothing special here.

Offline pastapinata

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:31:01 »
So you pay more for less? I don't get it.

im just testing the waters man. ive been typing on these reds for so long. have to start somewhere, right? i was looking at the pok3r on massdrop but they ran out of the best color/switch options pretty quickly. the email i got @ 4pm from WASD advertising the 61 key code was screaming my name at that point.

Let me know how you like it. I'm definitely curious about the keyboard  :thumb:

oh for sure. i am too lol. :thumb: its hard for me to imagine using a 60% after being on this monstrous k70 for so long
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 17:48:36 by pastapinata »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:22:42 »
Oh, this is cute.  Could set a new standard for the quality of a 60%
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline robscomputer

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 18:26:35 »
I had a Code TKL and the keyboard didn't feel as solid as the WASD keyboards. At the time, they only sold the TKL as the Code, so my reference was the V1 104. Maybe it's the caps, which were thin and IIRC painted.

The pluses I see here is the painted plate and the media controls, which are a plus. But the pricing for ABS keycaps with LED's compared to the PBT version, not sure if I would go for it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 04:04:01 »

I find them to be quite servicable for a work environment - not overstated, white backlighting is not gaudy.

What didn't you like about them?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 08:57:56 »

I find them to be quite servicable for a work environment - not overstated, white backlighting is not gaudy.

I have not one, but two CODE keyboards. I had one at work which I used every day for a week and the black coating on the "a" and "s" key was largely removed by the end of that week. Now - I have long nails, so I know that made it worse, but a week? Terrible. I swapped the caps out on the other one almost immediately.

Really any of those black coated caps are terribad. They just don't last. Vortex makes the doubleshot POM/PBT caps, if they are partnering with them, that would have been a wise upgrade to include. It would make it stand out from a heavily saturated 60% market.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 10:35:40 »
I absolutely love my CODE boards (as well as my V2). However, the caps are straight garbage.

I'll probably get one of these for work (Jeff Atwood cofounded my company after all). I might get it in Browns, which I haven't had in a looooonng time. I'll be sure to post a review, too.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 11:05:30 »
From someone at Massdrop that messaged WASD:

"I emailed WASD asking about any differences and this was their response (which was very prompt I might add): "These are manufactured by Vortex (they make the Pok3r). We have rebranded them in our CODE line, so only real difference is ours say “CODE” on the bottom, and theirs says “Pok3r”""

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-pok3r-backlit-compact-keyboard/talk/374716

Offline garage_logician

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 13:12:42 »
How can that be?  I thought the Poker did not have media keys, and the CODE does?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 13:52:31 »
How can that be?  I thought the Poker did not have media keys, and the CODE does?
Oh wait a sec.. I guess Vortex released a firmware update for media controls when I wasn't looking. http://theniunai.com/pok3r-firmware-update-v1-1-5-new-media-keys/

hmmm..  :-[

But to be fair, people had to wait a bit for full native media functionality.
Chris Schammert

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 07:47:57 »

You can mod costars so they rattle less than non-stabilised 1u keys, so much that, you start realising how much non-stabilised keys rattle :)

With cherry tho, you are doomed with the stiffness and rattling, however, some manufacturers have some pretty decent cherry stabs too, tho I haven't found one that reaches 0 rattling like costars can reach

There is also the serviceability aspect, you can service costar's easily, even replace every component on the fly

So all in all, if you are going all the way, and have effort to spend, costar's outperform cherry's by a high margin
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:11:03 »
Always have preferred Costar > Cherry. Even clipped. Just never liked the way they feel.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:14:26 »
Sigh, I guess I should keep my mind open to costar. Maybe I'll try both and see which I like best.
Chris Schammert

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:29:56 »
Costar sucks, unless you never change your key caps.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:38:38 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:45:37 »
Yea that pretty much sums it up
Chris Schammert

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:46:21 »

I change my caps all the time :)

Costar still better :-P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:48:26 »

Show Image

I cannot fight that Alien.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 17:01:32 »

Show Image

I cannot fight that Alien.
Believe in yourself
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 16:24:03 »

I have not one, but two CODE keyboards. I had one at work which I used every day for a week and the black coating on the "a" and "s" key was largely removed by the end of that week. Now - I have long nails, so I know that made it worse, but a week? Terrible. I swapped the caps out on the other one almost immediately.

Really any of those black coated caps are terribad. They just don't last. Vortex makes the doubleshot POM/PBT caps, if they are partnering with them, that would have been a wise upgrade to include. It would make it stand out from a heavily saturated 60% market.

I must admit that is pretty bad.

Do your nails scrape the keycaps much?  I rarely have nails of any length to speak of, but I don't recall them scratching the keys last time I did.

My CODE I have used daily for maybe six months with no signs of wear anywhere on it.

In fact the only criticism I have is that the corners of the case are not rounded, and dig into my hands when I rest them against the corners.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 15:03:01 »

Do your nails scrape the keycaps much?  I rarely have nails of any length to speak of, but I don't recall them scratching the keys last time I did.

My CODE I have used daily for maybe six months with no signs of wear anywhere on it.

In fact the only criticism I have is that the corners of the case are not rounded, and dig into my hands when I rest them against the corners.

Yeah, they do, in fact, on my left and I'm more likely to hit the key with my nail then with my actual fingertip.

Even the keys that didn't scratch up tho, the shine was crazy apparent in no time. And I actually like shiny caps, give me a set of shiny GMK and I'm in heaven. But this is not a good shiny. It's just blah. The board itself I have no real issues with (both mine do ping a bit). One of them I painted a kick ass purple and it looks great, I put white and pink caps on it and now it is being used every day by my daughter. 

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 15:15:42 »

I've recently discovered that rounded corners make cherry/oem keycaps look bad :D

TEX cases are pretty rounded for example, while Vortex 60% cases have sharp corners, GMK keycaps look waaay better on the Vortex case, If only Vortex had a black/gray case

Rounded corners ~ DSA - maybe rounded OEM's
Sharp corners ~ Cherry, OEM

So, it might hurt, but at least it probably looks good :)

Also, in general, sharp cornered keyboards look better imo, probably a 2mm border radius would be ideal

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 17:17:29 »
The only major case i can see for buying one of these over a Pok3r is if you live in the US and have an issue under warranty it would be WAY easier to get this served than an actual Pok3r.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 17:42:20 »
The only major case i can see for buying one of these over a Pok3r is if you live in the US and have an issue under warranty it would be WAY easier to get this served than an actual Pok3r.
Huh, why didn't I think of that?

Warranty Page

We offer a 1 year replacement warranty on all our UV printed keycaps.

Welp.. that's interesting.
Chris Schammert

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 04:09:24 »
Double Post  :cool:

I thought it was worth mentioning that the default layer multimedia functions are limited to volume up, volume down, and mute.
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/vp3-user-guide.pdf

Multimedia Shortcuts
- Play, Stop, Next, Prev, Vol Up, Vol Down, and Mute shortcuts
PDF:
FN +
S - Volume -
D - Volume +
F  - Mute
I'm not sure what is going on with that. Does it really have all of those media functions? For those that bought the VP3 I would really like to know  :thumb:
Chris Schammert