Author Topic: AT-F Power Cord Swap???  (Read 1756 times)

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
AT-F Power Cord Swap???
« on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 10:15:03 »
I have two IBM PC AT keyboards with cut off power cords.   So I intend to re-wire some other cord in order to restore the keyboard.   I have several XT Model F boards, but the connector is very different.    I emailed the pics to Chucky and he doesn't have anything that even remotely resembles this cord.  

Here are pics of the connector on the AT-F:

Note he 5 wires and the 6-pin connector that locks into the PC AT board.  

Now here are pics of the connectore on the XT:

Only 4 wires??

Will one of my older style SDL to AT plug cables work for this swap??   Or is there any other option of restoring the power cable on my boards.  

Thanks in advance for any help here.  

skc

Offline JBert

AT-F Power Cord Swap???
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 10:55:36 »
I was going to post they are pretty much the same until it hit me that only the external connector (i.e. the large din plug) is the same. Sadly I didn't take pics of my AT's innards when it was still completely connected. Don't know by heart where the 5th wire leads.

What you need most of all is a complete F AT cable, a multi-tester (preferably with crocodile clips), a needle, pen and paper to make a pin-out diagram of the cable (i.e. a diagram that describes which pin on the round DIN connector maps to a hole in the rectangular Berg connector).
In the end, you will still need to solder a cable to the short strips of wires stuck in the connector or fill a new Berg connector.

I would actually recommend to use an XT cord instead of a model M SDL cable, this way you can reuse its rubber "cable foot" which juts out of the keyboard. If not, you will have to improvise.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline JohnElliott

AT-F Power Cord Swap???
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 11:09:24 »
My AT model F page has the pinout for the plug, which gives the colours used by the cable:

Brown=data
Red=clock
White=+5v
Black=ground
Green=reset

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
AT-F Power Cord Swap???
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 11:13:11 »
Quote from: JBert;182953
I was going to post they are pretty much the same until it hit me that only the external connector (i.e. the large din plug) is the same. Sadly I didn't take pics of my AT's innards when it was still completely connected. Don't know by heart where the 5th wire leads.

What you need most of all is a complete F AT cable, a multi-tester (preferably with crocodile clips), a needle, pen and paper to make a pin-out diagram of the cable (i.e. a diagram that describes which pin on the round DIN connector maps to a hole in the rectangular Berg connector).
In the end, you will still need to solder a cable to the short strips of wires stuck in the connector or fill a new Berg connector.

I would actually recommend to use an XT cord instead of a model M SDL cable, this way you can reuse its rubber "cable foot" which juts out of the keyboard. If not, you will have to improvise.

Okay, I read all of the above 2x and you might as well have written that up in some foreign language.   My only comment is "huh"????   Solder what, where??   The XT only has 4 wires and the AT has 5.    You lost me after Berg connector??  

If you can do this for me, I'll gladly ship you both an AT-F connector and an XT cable and provide shipping both ways and whatever colored keycaps you might fancy  :))

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
AT-F Power Cord Swap???
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 11:14:33 »
Quote from: JohnElliott;182957
My AT model F page has the pinout for the plug, which gives the colours used by the cable:

Brown=data
Red=clock
White=+5v
Black=ground
Green=reset

Okay.  John E to the rescue.  So what cable can I use to replace the cut cord on my AT-F??    Or worded another way, what other cord has the exact same 5 leads??

Pictures don't all load on your webpage??  Or is that an issue with my browser??

Offline JohnElliott

AT-F Power Cord Swap???
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 13:36:07 »
Quote from: skcheng;182959
Okay.  John E to the rescue.  So what cable can I use to replace the cut cord on my AT-F??    Or worded another way, what other cord has the exact same 5 leads??

Anything with a 5-pin DIN plug or 6-pin PS/2 plug at the other end. You could cut the socket off a PS/2 extension cable, for example. The colours won't match, so you'd need to use a continuity tester to work out which pin on the plug corresponds to which colour.

(eg: Say one of the leads is yellow. Connect one wire of the tester to the yellow wire, and with the other test each pin of the plug in turn. Then use these diagrams to work out which signal that is. Suppose, for example, it's the clock. Then connect the yellow wire on the new lead to the red one on the old lead.)

Pictures don't all load on your webpage??  Or is that an issue with my browser??

The SVGs may not load in Internet Explorer (they need a plugin). Should be fine in Firefox or Chrome.