Author Topic: Realforce 87u - Thought it would be louder  (Read 3317 times)

Offline salcan

Realforce 87u - Thought it would be louder
« on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 12:08:07 »
Based on all the videos I've watched (more than a few) I thought the Realforce 87u would be louder than it is.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJsws3hGG2w&feature=related

Not to complain--it's a great keyboard. I like the feel of it, and I like the sound a lot... I just thought there would be more of it. I guess I expected the entire keyboard to sound a bit more like like the backspace key does--that has that real thock sound I was expecting. Same with the number keys.

I guess this is one reason why people go with the 55g variant?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 12:20:33 »
No, 45g. keys are just as quiet (so is my HHKB, but it does sound a little different).  It sort of makes you wonder why they have a "low noise" model.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 12:52:53 »
I think there are a number of reasons why these demos are misleading. Putting the keyboard directly on a wooden desk with the feet extended is a great way to encourage resonance, making the sound louder and boosting some sound frequencies more than others. If the microphone is also placed on that desk, then you are recording sound transmitted through wood, not just through the air, which is how you normally hear the sound! Gives a completely different result.

Most recordings are either normalised (boosted as much as possible without distorting) or left at a random level, making comparisons impossible.

And with the best will in the world, if you make a recording to demonstrate the sound, you are going to type abnormally, no matter how hard you try not to.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 12:55:20 »
I think my HHKB is relatively loud. I think it's a good balance between noticable noise and being too noisy for busy environments.

Offline salcan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 12:56:45 »
Quote from: itlnstln;170924
No, 45g. keys are just as quiet (so is my HHKB, but it does sound a little different).  It sort of makes you wonder why they have a "low noise" model.

Exactly my thoughts on the low noise model. Good to know about the others- don't have a HHKB do to a direct comparison.

Ripster- thanks I totally forgot about that post. I think the tone of the topre switches makes it seem even more muted while being used though.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 12:59:14 »
Also, I think they become louder as you 'break them in'

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 13:05:00 »
I think my HHKB might be a little quieter, too, as I have it on some shelf liner.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 13:27:18 »
I now use shelf liner under whatever keyboard I'm using. Makes any board sound quieter and better IMO. And makes sure it doesn't slide around!

The HHKB is noticably louder than my Realforce. I'm using them together in my current setup, and the difference is obvious.

Offline salcan

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 13:33:33 »
Quote from: Rajagra;170956
I now use shelf liner under whatever keyboard I'm using. Makes any board sound quieter and better IMO. And makes sure it doesn't slide around!

The HHKB is noticably louder than my Realforce. I'm using them together in my current setup, and the difference is obvious.

Yea, I'm on shelf liner as well. It was sliding around like crazy. It's just about mandatory with the Realforce.

Interesting on the HHKB. I need to get my hands on one.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 13:57:48 »
I hear what you guys are hearing.  My RF numpad is noticeably quieter, but it's not a huge difference.  IMO, it's more like the HHKB is lower-pitched than the RF.  Must be the metal plate.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 23:35:58 »
I finally had a chance to check out the Realforce thanks to salcan who was nice enough to let me play around with his.   The keyboard is just about the sexiest looking keyboard out there.   For some reason, I thought it would be heavier??  

The keys feel really different.   Super soft and comfy!!   I imagine it must take a little getting used to with the weighted keys heavier in the middle and lighter on the ends.   Really cool though!!

I'll have to bite the bullet and purchase one in the near future.

Offline trievalot

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 05:44:06 »
go on....go onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
you only live once (especially if you buy a topre board without your wife knowing)
[SIGPIC]

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 10:44:13 »
Good comparison of the HHKB **Lite2** and Realforce here:

Edit> Corrected - HHKB in video is the Lite model.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2010, 10:59:02 by Rajagra »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 10:47:15 »
That's the rubber dome one...

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 10:56:43 »
Oops, should have read the title. Thought it was the Japanese HHKB Pro.

If I had ever typed on my Lite for more than a few seconds I'd have probably realised what it was!

Offline salcan

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 12:56:11 »
Just a quick update...

1) If you want volume definitely don't have a mat under the keyboard. The sound isn't just from typing, it also some from the keyboard being up against against your desk. Any sort of mat definitely dampens this. This seems obvious now, but I guess I was expecting more noise from they switch itself (like you get with the backspace key).

Quote from: ch_123;170945
Also, I think they become louder as you 'break them in'

2) Confirmed. I've been typing on this pretty consistently and it's probably starting to break in a bit. The keys are starting to feel that much better and I'm definitely getting some more volume out of them. Starting to enjoy the Realforce that much more.

Side point- I think my feelings on a switch are greatly affected by what I was last typing on. I was using the browns for weeks before the Realforce, and it wasn't the best transition. Then I went to a Model M for a bit, and now I'm back on the realforce, liking it a lot more than I did a week ago.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 12:58:34 »
Personally, I think transitioning from browns to Topres make the Topres feel a little disappointing.  I think if I would have gone from BS or ALPS to Topres, I would have liked them more.  Oh well.

Offline salcan

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 13:30:06 »
Quote from: itlnstln;172744
Personally, I think transitioning from browns to Topres make the Topres feel a little disappointing.  I think if I would have gone from BS or ALPS to Topres, I would have liked them more.  Oh well.

Yes, exactly my feelings. Spend a week on BS for a sort of palette cleanser.