Author Topic: AT Model F from my trip to the local recycler  (Read 3157 times)

Offline phoenix

AT Model F from my trip to the local recycler
« on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 22:22:23 »
I bought a Model F AT in excellent condition today at the store of the local recycler :)

Imagine my excitement when I saw this as I entered the store:

Here's what I bought:

It looks unbelievably clean:

No board chow or dust bunnies between the keys (well, the pic doesn't really show...):

They tried finding an AT->PS2 adapter for me but couldn't. Can someone recommend a good source?

Made in United Kingdom on April 1st, 1987 (No Joke!):

The backside is fairly clean, too:

I told the owner Dave about Geekhack. He was very helpful. I mentioned wanting to find a dead vintage Mac to mod into an iPad dock and he immediately found a few in the basement and started dismantling one :D

Their website: http://www.compureboot.com/
Their ebay id: midwestpcresale (unfortunately none of the keyboards and vintage computers are listed. He said he mostly sells them to local collectors. At the price he's demanding it's probably not really worth the hassle to ebay them.)

Offline phoenix

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 22:37:43 »
Quote from: ripster;171332
Well, the owner sounds like a nice guy so you could tell him that if he straight auctioned it on Ebay he could get over $100 for Model F ATs.

Congrats -awesome find.

Yes, I told him it would be impossible for me to find an AT Model F on ebay for $30. The Model Ms he has are not likely to get more than $30 on ebay unless he cleans them and fix the missing key caps. (Some are terminal Ms, btw.) But the Model F AT even uncleaned should sell much more than $30.

Where did you get your converter?
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 April 2010, 22:41:10 by phoenix »

Offline phoenix

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 April 2010, 23:16:04 »
OK I found them.

Metal one from Clickykbd: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/146730

Cheaper plastic one from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/AT-5-Pin-DIN-to-PS2-PS-2-Mini-DIN-Keyboard-Adapter-NEW_W0QQitemZ370355115267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563ae29503

On second thought maybe I don't want to do it this way. Perhaps it's possible for me to simply remove and save the cable, take apart a blue cube, solder the converting circuits into the AT F and add a USB type B port where the cable comes out.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 01:18:56 »
Quote from: phoenix;171345
OK I found them.

Metal one from Clickykbd: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/146730

Cheaper plastic one from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/AT-5-Pin-DIN-to-PS2-PS-2-Mini-DIN-Keyboard-Adapter-NEW_W0QQitemZ370355115267QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563ae29503

On second thought maybe I don't want to do it this way. Perhaps it's possible for me to simply remove and save the cable, take apart a blue cube, solder the converting circuits into the AT F and add a USB type B port where the cable comes out.

Very nice find!  The only way an 84-key PC AT Model F  in good condition would sell for $30 on e-bay is if the seller is clueless.

I was not aware that production continued through 1987.  I believe US production ended in 1986.

I like the pic showing your HHKB Pro 2 above your "new" 84-key PC AT keyboard.  The HHKB looks so small in comparison.  Those two particular keyboards are personal favourites of mine.

If you need a passive 5 pin AT to ps/2 adapter, PM me and I'll drop one in the mail on Monday at no charge (and blue cube ps/2 to USB converter if you need one of those also).
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 April 2010, 01:32:25 by maxlugar »
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 03:10:18 »
Wait. Is that a 2nd Model F AT in the first pic? Tell me you at least checked!

The more I see these the more I want one. The layout seems absolutely fine to me. It only seems odd because it's different to what we are used to now. So Esc is on the right instead of the left. Big deal!

The only fly in the ointment is lack of right hand alt, mainly for people outside the U.S. (to act as Alt Gr.) But in all honesty I don't think I've ever *needed* it. In fact it only became remotely useful when I started using Colemak.

Offline trievalot

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 05:12:37 »
lucky bastard
[SIGPIC]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 05:16:32 »
Quote from: Rajagra;171357

The more I see these the more I want one. The layout seems absolutely fine to me. It only seems odd because it's different to what we are used to now. So Esc is on the right instead of the left. Big deal!

The only fly in the ointment is lack of right hand alt, mainly for people outside the U.S. (to act as Alt Gr.) But in all honesty I don't think I've ever *needed* it. In fact it only became remotely useful when I started using Colemak.

If you're using Windows, CTRL + ALT doubles as Alt-Gr

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 05:52:20 »
Too bad we haven't got any recycler stores around here. Living in a small country sucks :)
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline phoenix

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 15:14:51 »
Quote from: maxlugar;171352
I was not aware that production continued through 1987.  I believe US production ended in 1986.

I like the pic showing your HHKB Pro 2 above your "new" 84-key PC AT keyboard.  The HHKB looks so small in comparison.  Those two particular keyboards are personal favourites of mine.

If you need a passive 5 pin AT to ps/2 adapter, PM me and I'll drop one in the mail on Monday at no charge (and blue cube ps/2 to USB converter if you need one of those also).

That answers my question about why it was made in the UK in a different thread! I really like the HHKB, too, though I wish its fn layer has inverse T arrows. It's awfully nice of you to offer the adapters! I guess this is my lucky weekend :)

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 21:24:12 »
Quote from: Rajagra;171357

I just remap the CapsLock to AltGr for my Model F with Colemak. The CapsLock to Backspace doesn't make as much sense on the Model F.
I also really like having the Esc close to the Backspace as you can press it on the way to the numpad or mouse.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 21:31:40 »
I'd be going insane if I went into that store! $8 for a Model F AT, wow. I ponder how many Model F ATs were thrown away in good working condition.

They have a yucky HP there.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline phoenix

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 22:17:00 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;171526
I'd be going insane if I went into that store! $8 for a Model F AT, wow. I ponder how many Model F ATs were thrown away in good working condition.

They have a yucky HP there.

Actually all the mechanical boards have a $30 yellow tag if you look closely. Dave knows they are good stuff. But $30 plus tax is still an excellent price for a Model F AT. If they are really $8 I probably wouldn't have been able to contain my urge to grab them all regardless of their condition...

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 07:10:26 »
You wouldn't mind going back there and picking up the 2nd one for a fellow geekhacker, would you? :)
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 01:58:06 »
Quote from: phoenix;171528
Actually all the mechanical boards have a $30 yellow tag if you look closely. Dave knows they are good stuff. But $30 plus tax is still an excellent price for a Model F AT. If they are really $8 I probably wouldn't have been able to contain my urge to grab them all regardless of their condition...

Ohhh... so it was just the HP that was $8 with tax, gotcha! Dave's going to have a hard time selling that thing.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline JBert

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 13:53:52 »
$30 is a good deal... I found one once on Ebay for $49, and that one was mislisted as an XT.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]