Author Topic: black double shot keys for Model M?  (Read 7154 times)

Offline bigpook

black double shot keys for Model M?
« on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 09:11:11 »
Maybe I didn't search this site well enough, but was wondering if such a thing is available.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 09:21:18 »
You might want to talk to Ms. Keyboard from Fentek.  She might be able to help.  While I know they don't do full Cherry and ALPS sets due to all the different configurations out there, they will do Model M caps since they are unique and there is primarily one configuration for those.  I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one interested in something like that.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 09:27:14 »
Good point.  I certainly don't think the single-piece caps could be made as a double-shot.  The two-piece might, though.  It certainly does shed some light into why IBM chose to do dye sub.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 09:28:24 »
As if dye-sub wasn't good enough... I suppose the advantage is that someone may be able to make black and white ones.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 09:32:41 »
You can't dye sub a black key with great results, unfortunately. The IBMs are black where the Topres are dark grey, so at least there's a little contrast.  What would be 1337 would be to dye sub black caps with a UV-reactive dye so you could use a black light for some psychedelic typing action.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 09:39:01 »
thanks for the response, doesn't sound likely unless I spend $$$.

I suppose the next step is to harvest keys off a black M13.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 09:41:51 »
I would still check with Fentek.  They might have a solution for you.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 10:38:06 »
Quote from: bigpook;177248
thanks for the response, doesn't sound likely unless I spend $$$.

I suppose the next step is to harvest keys off a black M13.

I had the black M13 keys on my Space Saving Mini and I took them off after only a few minutes.  The keys are pretty crappy and the cut outs for the trackpoint bothered me.  And the print sucks.  And they don't feel especially nice to type on.   Imho of course and I'm sure others might disagree.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 10:50:00 »
Bigpook,
Everyone is correct, we don't do double shot for Model M keys, one or two piece.   Also, you can't do white sublimation on black keys, so that leaves pad printing or etching.
We recently had this same request from a buyer, and I searched high and low for new stock, old stock, just about anything and there just isn't much out there....sorry.
We are constantly working on new jobs, so let me know your specifics and I will do what I can to try and help..........Later

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 10:54:53 »
Oooh.  Laser-etched keys like Cherry (etch and fill).  It's not always the prettiest looking, but at least it's durable.  Maybe if there are enough people that want something like this, a group-buy could be in order.  Thanks, Ms. Keyboard.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 11:00:16 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;177284
Bigpook,
Everyone is correct, we don't do double shot for Model M keys, one or two piece.   Also, you can't do white sublimation on black keys, so that leaves pad printing or etching.
We recently had this same request from a buyer, and I searched high and low for new stock, old stock, just about anything and there just isn't much out there....sorry.
We are constantly working on new jobs, so let me know your specifics and I will do what I can to try and help..........Later

So can you provide laser etching on black Model M keys??  I would order at least 4 sets myself.  And I'm sure others here would also want some.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 11:06:31 »
Let me figure out just how few sets we could do to be feasible and get back with the group.  Could be a few days, heading down south to Cozumel, might hop over to Cuba if I can find an adventurous soul to guide me ;)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 11:12:16 »
Cuba.  That ought to be pretty cool.  I guess they don't have too much of a problem with people from the US, then.  They just need the tourist dollars, though.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 11:44:37 »
We were told Chichen Itza too crowded, so planning a trip in to Tulum for exploring and snorkeling.  Can't wait to swim off those white beaches and look at the ruins :)
As far as Cuba goes, their Immigration laws aren't as tough as Arizona's anymore, so I will just need to develop a Canadian accent and talk about how great it would be for Fidel and his brother to take up hockey.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 11:48:10 »
Also, since this has totally gone off track, can't get that close to Cuba without trying a good cigar, any recommendations?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 11:55:33 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;177306
As far as Cuba goes, their Immigration laws aren't as tough as Arizona's anymore, so I will just need to develop a Canadian accent and talk about how great it would be for Fidel and his brother to take up hockey.

Brilliant.  Don't get too tan down there.  You might just get a surprise visit from the police when you get back.

Sorry about the Coyotes this year.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 12:04:42 »
Ya, tough loss for the Coyotes, but maybe the Suns will pull it out tonight, and the Diamondbacks are starting off pretty good.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 29 April 2010, 12:22:30 »
I'm not sure if that's a troll or just a social disorder at its finest, but whatever it is, it's hilarious.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:53:25 »
Quote from: ripster;177238
Because of the way double shots are made I'm not even sure if that is possible.

It would indeed be difficult to do but every process is a bit different. I was finally able to design a process for it, but I am having problems getting consistent legends (because they are so small). However I can indeed do other larger designs and styles now in the dual shot manner with the M keys.

Quote from: itlnstln;177241
Good point.  I certainly don't think the single-piece caps could be made as a double-shot.  The two-piece might, though.  It certainly does shed some light into why IBM chose to do dye sub.

Depending on the tooling process I think It would be easier to do the single piece ones as opposed to the two piece. Although I am kinda speaking out of both sides of my mouth. Since I can do more with the single pieces keys interms of dual molded config the one piece dual molded is faster and easier with some things. I hope I can solve this consistency problem with the legends, but at the same time there is just too many of them!  (insert star wars pilot picture)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 10:18:55 »
There's something that occurred to me that I'm not really sure has been discussed here -

Whilst making double-shot single piece caps would be difficult, what about just making double shot uppers for two piece caps? Surely it would be far cheaper and easier to make than even something like a Cherry or Alps cap, as there's nothing on the underside save two tabs at either side.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 10:35:14 »
Even the wonderful Beam Spring keycaps suffer from problem... Just a thought anyway.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 11:36:02 »
I would be very interested in black keys for a Model M with white printing. Although as I really only seek a partial set, harvesting from an M13 would do, were I to run across such a thing.

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 21:31:45 »

is late better than never?
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:02:55 »
Quote from: ripster;182651
Whatever happened in Mayaville?  

I hear Arizona is now requiring that you UnLearn any foreign type experiences you may have had while traveling.  

Cozumel was OK :|   Never made it to Cuba, but had a great time scuba diving and snorkeling, drinking rum and chasing iguanas.  Also, the group opted for Tulum, which was "interesting", and probably should have done Chichen Itza instead, but most likely would have said the same thing if we had gone there.

There was a little friction with the locals, but they had no problem taking my money.  Seemed to upset the Canadians the most, which was interesting.  It was also interesting that of all the borders we crossed, Mexico was by far the most prohibitive, entering AND leaving.  Also, something about kids standing around with automatic weapons while digging through your possessions is also a little hypocritical when taken into consideration.  Heck, even Houston was friendly in comparison :)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:05:17 »
Houston is not part of Texas.  They are a different country altogether.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:11:06 »
Don't know how you guys live with that humidity.  Even Phoenix at 91 degrees felt good.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:14:24 »
Ripster..........you sure get around alot ;)  If it wasn't for the legos, I'd have to wonder what kind of double life you are leading

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:16:30 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;183152
Don't know how you guys live with that humidity.  Even Phoenix at 91 degrees felt good.

We sweat like a McDonald's fountain drink.  It was horrible this weekend.  I was out playing disc golf, and I my shirt was soaked after about 30 minutes.  It was only about 83 that day after a cool front blew in some rain a couple of days before.  If I wasn't such an active person, I would be in a bar crushing Margaritas all day.  That's probably why we're the fattest city in the US.  Nobody wants to go outside.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:30:07 »
And here I was, blaming the increase in beer and tequila consumption on exotic locals and vacationing :)

Even though the humidity is supposed to be great for your skin, I'll take our "dry heat" any day!

Offline kriminal

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 11:43:58 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;183152

he you guys gotta come spend time in the caribbean. we dont have 4 seasons only a wet and dry season.

just lotsa hot sun and humidity. 22 degrees C from the A\C unit is considered freezing...
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 18:49:52 »
Quote from: Oqsy;182980
Show Image

is late better than never?

Haahaa, you rock!

Quote from: MsKeyboard;183166
...Even though the humidity is supposed to be great for your skin, I'll take our "dry heat" any day!

Amen to that!!!!
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 18:56:42 »
In Ireland, we have rain. It suits our melancholic temperament.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 19:07:10 »
Quote from: ch_123;183312
In Ireland, we have rain. It suits our melancholic temperament.

It's raining here right now.

I'll take rain over oppressive summer heat any day.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 19:30:28 »
Quote from: kishy;183314
It's raining here right now.

I'll take rain over oppressive summer heat any day.

It's much easier to warm up than cool down.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 20:51:39 »
I feel SO sorry for the Brazilians.

I just got back from a chilly wet weekend at the beach, although I'm a lot farther south than Rio.

I have a new dig lined up that will be taking me to northeaster Brazil near Natal, probably by the end of the month. I'm looking forward to the tropical heat actually.

My plan to jolt home in August is probably off now, so I can't pick up any of the keyboard gems waiting for me there. On the plus side, I'll be able to afford more :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 05:19:04 »
Here's another one - how about silver on black? Their numpad keys on their metallic grey key'd model have silver/grey markings on them to indicate alternate function. If you tweaked that colour a bit, you'd get something that gives good contrast and yet isn't light enough that it becomes problematic to dye-sub.