Author Topic: Can't decide! Filco Cherry Brown/Black, Realforce 103UB Weighted/55  (Read 3793 times)

Offline justin2net

I am searching for my first mechanical keyboard and would like some help from this wonderful community of experts :D My choices so far are:

Filco Majestouch Tactile Click NKRO with Cherry brown switches
^ with Cherry black switches
Realforce 103UB with variably weighted keys
^ with 55g keys

I am currently using a Logitech G15 and I find it feels very "dead", especially when I am playing FPS. The keys seem to bottom out with no resistance and return back to position very slowly. Very noticeable with W A S D (worn out?) and space bar.
Slow keyboard action. No tactile feeling.

40% of the time I'm gaming, playing FPS mostly
20-30% I am surfing (sporadic typing)
20% I am programming
10-20% I am typing documents for extended periods of time (over 2 hours)

Price is NOT a factor (I figure I will use this keyboard for at least two years, it's worth it)

1) Generally, I'm looking for a keyboard that is good for gaming yet comfortable to type on for 1 or 2 hours. On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5  being the loudness of a Model M, I'm aiming for a 2, 3 at most. Tactileness...not super springy and stuff like a typewriter, but responsive and must activate quickly, with a medium inertia (if anybody knows pianos, perhaps like a well played Steinway or Yamaha C ebony key action). Gah, picky about pianos, and now about keyboards :(

2) I find the Cherry blue switches sound too high pitched. It's a little irritating.
Cherry brown sounds about right, and sounds very similar to Topre. Am I correct?

3) Is the variable weighted Realforce a bad idea for gaming? Then, I might ask, is the 55g Realforce too heavy and tiring for regular (and sporadic) typing?
I never get tired typing on my G15, if that's any measure.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 May 2010, 05:48:23 by justin2net »

Offline XiNAVRO

Can't decide! Filco Cherry Brown/Black, Realforce 87u Weighted/55
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 05:52:41 »
With almost the same usage in mind (minus the gaming part - I play all sorts), I have made my final decision to get a variable weighted Realforce 87U. I'm from Canada as well, and got mine from EliteKeyboards; took about 8-9 days to arrive and paid a bit extra for tax.

Had been using it for slightly longer than two weeks now, and I have to say that I am extremely satisfied. Typing feels just plain awesome, actually I've been trying to make excuses so that I can type more. Yes, it's that good.

Slight issue with gaming though. I have a tendency of leaving my fingertips on the WASD (usually W, A and D) and the A gets pressed accidentally when I'm not focusing on my fingers. Same goes for leaning / throwing grenades with the Q button - I need to stay focused or my fingers sometimes give too much pressure on it. This is because 1, Q and A are weighted 30g each when other keys are 45g. Not a big problem though. Given time I'm sure I'll get used to it (after two weeks of getting used to it I am not making the same "accidents" again).

Only the ESC key is 55g on the variable weighted version, and from what I feel when I'm pressing the ESC key, I do think that it might be a bit too stiff for typing few hours straight. (Personal taste, really, but I am glad that I went for the variable weighted version)

Not to mention that it's SMEXY. Mmmmm.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Topre Realforce 87U Black + Red ESC

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 06:34:57 »
Go with the Filco.  You'll pay half the price.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 08:02:38 »
Yeah, try the Filco since it's less investment, if it does it for you you've saved some money.

When I had a Realforce 87u all 55g model, the only time it felt too heavy was when I was going through lots of photos using my pinky on arrow keys for an extended period of time.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 13:27:59 »
On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the loudness of a Model M, I'm aiming for a 2, 3 at most.

Price is NOT a factor

Realforce 55g would be my choice without question. It's probably a 2 on that scale, at most. Maybe a 1. I find Cherry blacks a bit heavy for prolonged typing. 55g is lighter without being super light like Browns, which no, don't sound anything like Topre, especially if you bottom out.

If anything, get the Realforce because it's 2x as much. You won't wind up wondering if you shorted yourself by not paying more, and if you decide the Filco would be better, the Realforce has excellent resale value and can be sold real easy, especially if it's hardly used. I mean really easy; people here leap on them like a pack of wild animals for modest reductions in price.

40% of the time I'm gaming, playing FPS mostly
20-30% I am surfing (sporadic typing)
20% I am programming
10-20% I am typing documents for extended periods of time (over 2 hours)

Realforce 55g, hands down.

(imo)
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 May 2010, 13:42:45 by Otterclock »
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline Shirukii

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 13:33:31 »
I have pretty much the same predicament as you, I made a topic here a while back debating cherry brown, black and red. I made up my mind to go for browns and will be working on getting a Ducky DK9008 imported soon.
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid | Ducky DK9008 | IBM Model M

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 14:26:35 »
If money isn't the issue, then topre.  Topre's quieter and gonna last far longer than those 10 years, unless you like to bathe your boards.  It'll introduce a tactility you won't get with the blacks.   For gaming, 55g, but is that the highest priority?  You've already taken care of the gaming with switch choice and NKRO. The next step in this process is to really concentrate on your typing needs.  
You didn't mention if you were a board flexin' key pounder (heavy typist), or not.  You should factor that in to your decision.

Quote from: Shirukii;182373
I have pretty much the same predicament as you, I made a topic here a while back debating cherry brown, black and red. I made up my mind to go for browns and will be working on getting a Ducky DK9008 imported soon.
That's interesting that you went with browns.  I went with browns, because I like the lighter touch and I put typing before gaming.  Gaming before typing, I'd go red or clear (can't decide if I'd miss the bump).  Although mechanical boards haven't made me hate my roll up, so one could think I could live without the bump.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 May 2010, 14:36:43 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Shirukii

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 18:40:35 »
Quote from: washuai;182385
That's interesting that you went with browns.  I went with browns, because I like the lighter touch and I put typing before gaming.  Gaming before typing, I'd go red or clear (can't decide if I'd miss the bump).  Although mechanical boards haven't made me hate my roll up, so one could think I could live without the bump.

Before deciding, I tried out a Model M for comparison, it feels great for typing, but it's too heavy for gaming, my pinky got tired on the ctrl key. Blacks have a similar, even a bit heavier, weight, so I decided to go for browns.
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid | Ducky DK9008 | IBM Model M

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 21:22:38 »
Cherry browns FTW.

Offline trievalot

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 21:30:38 »
Cherry reds FTW.
:P
[SIGPIC]

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 04:43:07 »
To the op-

Based on everything in your list including the "price is not a factor" part,  I honestly think you would enjoy and be happy with a Topre Realforce 55g.

Outside of that I might suggest a cherry black or a cherry brown. The cherry black would not have a tactile bump but it is generally a little bit more quiet than a brown and is a bit stiffer so accidental key presses are a bit more rare. And it is pretty easy to learn not to bottom out on the black cherry boards.
Good luck on whichever you choose to purchase and enjoy =)

And welcome to geekhack btw =)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Xede

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 05:13:17 »
Topre
Realforce 87U 55g, HHKB Pro 2, Filco MX Black 104 Key, Unicomp Customizer 104 Key.