Author Topic: which keyboard to choose  (Read 3852 times)

Offline sam113101

which keyboard to choose
« on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 22:53:03 »
As a 16-year-old kid, I don't have much money to spend on keyboards, so I need to make the good choice.

I can't choose between three keyboards, and those keyboards are the endurapro, the filco majestouch with cherry mx blue switches and the das keyboard.

I can't really know which type of switch would fit me the best, I can only watch videos and listen to the sound they produce, I have no idea how they feel to type on.

I like the sound of the cherry mx blue, they seem fun to type on, the sound is very addictive. The buckling spring sounds normal to me, I mean nothing so special, the reason I want to try it, it's because I read it had the best feeling.

Also, the endurapro got a pointing stick, I've never used one, but I'm might like the fact that you don't need to move your hands as much as with a mouse. Is that thing accurate*? Would it work nice even if I have to monitors*? Is it slow*?

I know the das and the filco have the same switches (I'm interested in the cherry mx blue), but some say they don't like the glossy finish of the das, some say the usb hub is handy, etc. What do you think, which one should I buy*?

I'm not sure if I should take an ANSI keyboard or ISO, here we got ISO keyboards because it's french speaking, but I think I prefer ANSI. Should I keep using ISO keyboard because that are the ones that most have, where I live*? Don't know, at the same time, not every keyboard is available in the ISO version (the filco ones for example).

So, if the pointing stick on the endurapro is not that good, I see no reason to choose it instead of one that uses cherry mx blue (unless you tell me buckling spring is nicer than cherry mx blue).

So, what should my first mechanical keyboard be*? Note that I'm canadian, so they must be shipping here.

PS*: I use a french dvorak keyboard layout, no one ever heard of it I'm sure, it's called bépo. I want blank keys because it kind of suck having the bad lettering (and you won't find a keyboard available with the bépo keyboard layout, french is always forgotten ;'()

Sorry for my bad english - french speaking usually
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline sam113101

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 22:57:08 »
* are supposed to be non-breaking spaces actually

Offline Nonmouse

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 23:10:42 »
One possibility is to look at used boards, either here or on fleaBay- for the same cash you can get two or three or more boards, letting you compare different switches and manufacturers.  My "daily driver" is a Cherry MX-8100 (AKA G80-8113), that costs about $250 new- but I was able to get two of them for ~$40, used, in good shape.  Similarly, I've picked up ALPS, Model Ms and various other boards that I'd never shell out the new price for, giving me a much broader exposure to different switches and manufacturers.

Being able to compare boards side-by-side is awfully nice, even if the boards aren't "NIB".

Offline zeph

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 23:55:20 »
Pointing sticks are absolutely awful; I can't imagine why you'd want one of these integrated into your keyboard. My work laptop has a pointing stick in the middle of the keyboard and the only purpose it serves is to make g, h, and b very difficult to hit without sending my mouse pointer flying all over the screen.

I'm typing this on the exact Das Keyboard Ripster just posted a picture on and it's great. From what I've read the Filco Majestouch is nearly identical other than the non-glossy finish and supposedly marginally better build quality. I think either would be a great choice and, given your financial situation, I'd choose whichever you can grab cheaper because the differences are so slight. That is, if there is a price difference then I can't imagine that you'll ever regret not buying the more expensive one rather than the cheaper one.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
which keyboard to choose
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 00:01:40 »
I knew we'd find one eventually. Knew it.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline InSanCen

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 01:27:54 »
Quote from: zeph;182507
Pointing sticks are absolutely awful; I can't imagine why you'd want one of these integrated into your keyboard. My work laptop has a pointing stick in the middle of the keyboard and the only purpose it serves is to make g, h, and b very difficult to hit without sending my mouse pointer flying all over the screen.

Heathen... BURN HIM!!!

I've never had a problem typing on a board equipped with a Trackpoint, scissor switch or Buckling spring. I can only imagine you type with some very flat hands if you hit it a lot.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
which keyboard to choose
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 02:16:43 »
Quote from: InSanCen;182528
I can only imagine you type with some very flat hands.

Not me. I prefer round hands, and those who keep them rounded.

I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ksd5

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 15:44:08 »
You could custom-order an Endurapro with the bépo layout. (Generally, Unicomp charges 10 USD extra for customization)

The Endurapro line's newer pointing sticks use an inferior technology to what they had before. (I forgot all the exacts; I read it somewhere on these forums.)

Worst case, you could order an uncustomized Filco or a blank Das and use keymapping software with custom-ordered keycaps.

Offline sam113101

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 00:11:19 »
have someone tried both the das keyboard and the unicomp spacesaver*?
which one is the best*?

Offline In Stereo!

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 03:58:14 »
The trackpoint is nice on smaller display resolutions, if you have two bigass LCDs, it will proove to be completly useless.

As for the ISO/ANSI layouts, there are no real advantages in using one or the other, it is just a matter of getting used to and personal taste, so I'd recomend you the use the one you personally like.

Offline erricrice

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 08:35:46 »
Quote from: sam113101;182836
which one is the best*?

It's totally a matter of taste.

The Unicomp is going to be heavier key weighting, while the DAS will be lighter.  The click on the unicomp is lower pitched, and most find it to be more pleasing than the high-pitch click of the DAS.  The unicomp gives stronger tactile feedback as well.

I like buckling spring better(unicomp), but that's just me.  Many will tell you blues(DAS) are better.
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mańana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
which keyboard to choose
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 09:10:13 »
Quote from: sam113101;182836
which one is the best*?

I have both.  Totally different.  I like both, but if I could only have one, I'd keep the Das S that I'm writing up a review for right now.  

And even though I love Chucky and Unicomp, I would just as soon use one of my many Model Ms rather the Unicomp Spacesaver.   But many here on Geekhack use and like the Unicomp.   And if you need Windows keys, then your out of luck with the Model M.  

There's also a cost difference.  The Das is more money.   I've paid as little as $10 for a Model M.  I've also paid in excess of $200 for a NIB Space Saving Model.   The best price going for a Das S is $99 over at Sidewindercomputers.com    It's well worth the money.   Quite a nice board actually.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
which keyboard to choose
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 09:31:16 »
Quote from: ripster;182923
Oh yeah, I forgot about the French thing.  If Unicomp can't scrounge up the parts for a French Space Saver you can do the International Mini mod.

Boy that French layout is strange.
Show Image

And then there's the Lexmark French Mini that I have in my collection:

Offline sam113101

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 21:31:45 »
I've never used the azerty keyboard layout guys, I use qwerty keyboard, the same layout as you

but I decided to go for a french dvorak keyboard layout because I speak french, there are places in Canada where it's french speaking still

I don't really care of the lettering, I'm a touch typist, but I would like to have blank keys, if it's not possible, I'll go for a qwerty layout, I just don't care

someone knows some canadian resellers for the das keyboard*? there are only one on the das keyboard website, and it's bull**** (they sell the ultimate version 999$, that must be a glitch or something)

also, a canadian reseller where there is the iso version, that would be VERY nice

Offline sam113101

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 22:25:48 »
will I be able to find colorful keycaps for the spacesaver

Offline TexasFlood

which keyboard to choose
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 23:40:43 »

BLASPHEMOUS HERESY!!!

Ahem.  I mean, uh, I kinda disagree.

I'm typing this on the exact Das Keyboard Ripster just posted a picture on and it's great. From what I've read the Filco Majestouch is nearly identical other than the non-glossy finish and supposedly marginally better build quality. I think either would be a great choice and, given your financial situation, I'd choose whichever you can grab cheaper because the differences are so slight. That is, if there is a price difference then I can't imagine that you'll ever regret not buying the more expensive one rather than the cheaper one.

Don't have either, but from what I've read, a Filco sounds like a darn good choice.  I'm just too cheap to get one right now.  I almost bit on a Das Keyboard when they were on sale a while back and am sure I would have liked it.  Cherry browns seems like the best ticket for me, decent feel without quite as much noise.  Unfortunately there is almost always folks around me to get offended by excess clicking, what a shame.