Author Topic: keyboard test software for Linux  (Read 18707 times)

Offline cchan

keyboard test software for Linux
« on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 13:31:20 »
I have seen Aqua's Key Test http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=6643 and PassMark Keyboard Test http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm but they're both for Windows. My Ubuntu netbook isn't muscley enough to run a Windows VM, but I'd like to connect keyboards to it to test them. I know xev prints keyboard events, but I'd really like to have a graphical keyboard on screen instead of having to grep xev output. If anyone knows of such a program Id really like to hear about it. Thanks.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline (X "_____")

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 13:36:50 »
Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but give xkeycaps a try if you haven't already.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 18:31:38 »
There's also gok, the Gnome On-screen Keyboard.
And I do believe that gnome-keyboard-properties shows a layout as well.

But indeed, kind of hard to understand what you're actually after.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline cchan

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 19:18:29 »
xkeycaps is a cool program, but I'm looking for something where the keys stay highlighted until the program exits, so I can press every key, and which ever keys aren't highlighted, the key isn't responding. I hope this clears things up.

Oh, and I can't just wine Aqua's Key Test, because my poor little 4GB SSD doesn't have enough space to install Wine.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 20:55:54 »
I don't know of any graphical utilities in Linux for this (I'd just write one, but I don't really have a need).

There is an alternative that should already be installed on your system.
I wrote some info in my Backspace Mod for the Model F.

Code: [Select]

sudo showkey -a

For best results you shouldn't run this under X. Though it still should work under X.
This will display the ASCII character along with the scan code and such.

I usually just use the -s though, as I only want to see the scan code.

I just did a browse of the Arch Linux repos and AUR and didn't really find anything close to what you want.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 02:45:46 »
Quote from: cchan;182795
xkeycaps is a cool program, but I'm looking for something where the keys stay highlighted until the program exits, so I can press every key, and which ever keys aren't highlighted, the key isn't responding. I hope this clears things up.

That's a really specific need, and it seems to me that modifying xkeycaps to do what you want would not take long.

Time for you to learn programming!

Quote from: cchan;182795
Oh, and I can't just wine Aqua's Key Test, because my poor little 4GB SSD doesn't have enough space to install Wine.

Wine is like what, 20mb? You're saying you can't get 20mb free and that you have no second disk to put it on instead?

I don't believe you.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!