Author Topic: Feature Requests  (Read 454152 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Feature Requests
« Reply #700 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 15:52:07 »
Would like an easy way to view top posts
What is a top post??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

maybe he means a "back to top" button?

I just use the home button for that when on a pc.

Or tapatalk has navigation buttons for that.

i alway just middle mouse

I think he is talking about popular posts?
Oh, you mean like reddit??

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #701 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:52:00 »
Would like an easy way to view top posts
What is a top post??

maybe he means a "back to top" button?

I just use the home button for that when on a pc.

Or tapatalk has navigation buttons for that.

i alway just middle mouse

I think he is talking about popular posts?
Oh, you mean like reddit??

Ohhh, the rarepuppers website

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #702 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 08:22:34 »
When a post is reported the link should be removed, can be reversed later by mods if report is false. Makes spambots much less effective.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #703 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 08:31:49 »
When a post is reported the link should be removed, can be reversed later by mods if report is false. Makes spambots much less effective.
Might be more effective on a "more than one report" or something. I am obviously not aware of how many times these spam threads get reported, but that would make it harder for someone to abuse this system to temporarily have legitimate threads removed.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #704 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 08:34:04 »
Might be more effective on a "more than one report" or something. I am obviously not aware of how many times these spam threads get reported, but that would make it harder for someone to abuse this system to temporarily have legitimate threads removed.
True! Could also be a restricted feature for the non 25 posts + 2 months forums / users. I doubt that if a link was down in the keyboard forums for 6~ hours it would be that big of a deal, but could be do or die for some GBs

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #705 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 06:16:18 »
Can we get the option to collapse individual replies in a thread?
This very thread has 15 pages of responses. Good forum behaviour is to read through all replies before submitting my own, to avoid duplication or repetition. So a feature to make it easier to recap a longer threads, to quickly hide tangents or diversions (or trolling) might be useful.

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
« Reply #706 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 13:07:00 »
EDIT: Damn, I think it's not in the good thread.

Sorry if it has been already suggested.

Is it possible to split the IC and GB into two others sections?

I mean, it would be 4 sections at the end; Keyboards IC/GB and Keysets IC/GB.

They are so much of both that it could be easier to navigate (at least for me...) if there are dedicated sections for Keyboard and keyset.

I don't see any argument against that beside to time it would take. Feel free to let me know why it would not be a good idea!
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2020, 10:17:30 by scatology »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #707 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 10:13:43 »
EDIT: Damn, I think it's not in the good thread.

Sorry if it has been already suggested.

Is it possible to split the IC and GB into two others sections?

I mean, it would be 4 sections at the end; Keyboards IC/GB and Keysets IC/GB.

They are so much of both that it could be easier to navigate (at least for me...) if there are dedicated sections for Keyboard and keyset.

I don't see any argument against that beside to time it would take. Feel free to let me know why it would not be a good idea!

Huh, that seems like a good idea.  I'll admit I'm not personally browsing those areas myself anymore, so I don't know how much of a problem it is - but I can certainly imagine things are pretty hectic and difficult to keep up with.  I'll run this by the mod team and see what everyone else thinks.  :thumb:

Can we get the option to collapse individual replies in a thread?
This very thread has 15 pages of responses. Good forum behaviour is to read through all replies before submitting my own, to avoid duplication or repetition. So a feature to make it easier to recap a longer threads, to quickly hide tangents or diversions (or trolling) might be useful.

I don't think that's a feature of SMF (the platform the forum runs on - we're reliant on the features they offer, either by default or with mods).  It seems more akin to a site like reddit, where there's a "post" and then responses to it, rather than the standard forum format we have here where the entire thread is intended to be read through in order.  Both have their benefits, and I think it's good to have both formats available.

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #708 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:40:51 »
Any chance of updating Geekhack to be more mobile friendly? Tapatalk is meh.

If you are but nobody has time, I’m a web developer. Allow me access to your source code and I could work on it  ;D

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #709 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:10:27 »
Can we get someone to fix the issue where emotes break when you quote them with embedded pics.

Hey guys, I figured out a fix for this.

When you quote someone just botch the quote and the emotes will work again in your post :cool:

If you quote a post with two images the emote seems to work without botching the quote :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #710 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:39:06 »
how come I can still see threads started by people I've blocked I'm tryna social distance here

Also free moose
I love Elzy

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #711 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 18:48:34 »

A nice request for it would be an option similar to Notifications where you can check a box to determine whether or not you want threads that you've posted to become Watched topics.

Another would be checkboxes in the Watched tab to quickly UNWATCH threads that you don't want there instead of having to click through each one and clicking that button.

+1

and don't forget the locked topics even in topic-view the unwatch-button is missing

Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline KMPLSV

« Reply #712 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 08:20:15 »
my suggestion is that there should be two separate group buy categories. one category for GBs that have ended and have moved into the manufacturing/qc/shipping phases and one category for GBs that are still going or haven't started yet.

it's very frustrating when you are looking for GBs that haven't run yet or are still open, only to find ones that you really like and see that they ended a year ago.

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #713 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 08:53:50 »
my suggestion is that there should be two separate group buy categories. one category for GBs that have ended and have moved into the manufacturing/qc/shipping phases and one category for GBs that are still going or haven't started yet.

it's very frustrating when you are looking for GBs that haven't run yet or are still open, only to find ones that you really like and see that they ended a year ago.
I second this

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #714 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 16:21:32 »

I second this

This would certainly be a nice quality-of-life feature. I don't know that there's a nice way of doing this other than requiring each thread to be manually moved, which probably won't be sustainable -- will look into it.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #715 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 12:23:56 »
I would like if the 'Logout' button was on the right side of the red bar, ie, not next to the spy button. I've hit the logout button so many dang times  when I've meant to hit the spy button, especially when I am on my phone. Anyway, Thanks mods for all your hard work!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #716 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 14:42:13 »
Would it be possible to rename the interest checks subforum to something more appropriate? I was thinking along the lines of "vendor advertisements" and then forcing everyone who actually wants to get feedback on their projects merge to "building stuff together" area of the site.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #717 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 11:26:12 »
Add "post count spamming" to be against the TOS. We have new members that just go into every thread in a subforum and post 2 or 3 words (like "Looks great!") and offer nothing more. It clogs up the recent posts page and adds literally nothing to the conversation. Perhaps new users can be post limited even more (4 minute cool down or something reasonably oppressive) as you likely shouldn't be posting on 12 threads within 15 minutes.

Examples:
https://i.imgur.com/yIpjWRE.png
https://i.imgur.com/R3Td6KO.png
F Keys belong on the left.

« Reply #718 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 11:59:42 »

+1

What gets me the most is when you see a thread and it has "GB IS LIVE" or whatever in its name. You open it up and it was like 2 years ago and some dude just bumped it for no reason. If its too much hassle to move threads around, can we make it mandatory to reflect actual status in the name?

Offline Dr-lipschitz

« Reply #719 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 23:53:06 »
The interest check / group buy forum needs to be split into 3 sub forums:
1. keyboards
2. keycaps
3. everything else

all these keycap sets drown out everything else and make it a chore to find things

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #720 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 15:32:28 »
li#button_logout {
    float: right;
}

Please and thanks.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #721 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 15:34:47 »
I would like if the 'Logout' button was on the right side of the red bar, ie, not next to the spy button. I've hit the logout button so many dang times  when I've meant to hit the spy button, especially when I am on my phone. Anyway, Thanks mods for all your hard work!
HA.  I just posted a request to fix this without even seeing your comment from all this time ago.  I've done it so many times too.  Simple CSS declaration will fix it up.  Just need someone with access to the code :)

li#button_logout {
}

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #722 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 12:54:45 »
HA.  I just posted a request to fix this without even seeing your comment from all this time ago.  I've done it so many times too.  Simple CSS declaration will fix it up.  Just need someone with access to the code :)

li#button_logout {
}

Will look into this. I believe the fix will need to be applied to each theme separately, since they have their own stylesheets, but that shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #723 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 19:30:46 »

li#button_logout {
}
While we are waiting for someone with the code you can make your own tampermonkey script which automates it for you at site load. Just copy this code into tampermonkey and it should work :)

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Logout-button-mover
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  LogOut-button mover
// @author       Signature
// @match        https://geekhack.org/*
// @icon         https://www.google.com/s2/favicons?domain=geekhack.org
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';
    document.getElementById("button_logout").setAttribute("style", "float: right;");
})();

Offline diegoandres

« Reply #724 on: Mon, 21 March 2022, 19:42:05 »
will the forum be updated to smf 2.1?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #725 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 13:16:56 »
Only Drop has access to the back end at this point, so we'd need to get their attention to fix this.
Russ

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #726 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 20:17:39 »
Only Drop has access to the back end at this point, so we'd need to get their attention to fix this.

Call it a "SMF 2.XX" update.
Drop x Geekhack collaboration. 
Premium stuff.  Curated.
All of the cool kids want it.

Pre-Order ends this month.  Ships in 2 years from China.

Free shipping, but don't get excited b/c the shipping will take at least 2 weeks to move across 3 states.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 March 2022, 20:46:18 by pixelpusher »

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #727 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 16:11:19 »
Choosing to be notified only when the Thread Starter posts in the thread ? That would be a very nice feature.
As it stands we receive notifications when someone posts "I'm in" or "I like it" or worse in GB threads "I'm waiting for my product, can't it go faster?" Certainly not posts that deserve a notification when we are just waiting for an update from the person in charge.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #728 on: Mon, 28 March 2022, 16:44:46 »
Choosing to be notified only when the Thread Starter posts in the thread ? That would be a very nice feature.
As it stands we receive notifications when someone posts "I'm in" or "I like it" or worse in GB threads "I'm waiting for my product, can't it go faster?" Certainly not posts that deserve a notification when we are just waiting for an update from the person in charge.

I've thought about that too.  That would be huge, but I'm fairly certain there is no way you can implement that on SMF.  But a boy can dream, right?
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 March 2022, 16:54:47 by pixelpusher »

« Reply #729 on: Thu, 25 August 2022, 02:37:03 »
Would be nice if posts could be sorted by the date of the first post (instead of date of last post). Would be useful for ICs as then I'd be able to see ICs in a chronological order instead of scrolling through new replies trying to remember if I've seen this IC already.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #730 on: Thu, 25 August 2022, 09:13:54 »
Would be nice if posts could be sorted by the date of the first post (instead of date of last post). Would be useful for ICs as then I'd be able to see ICs in a chronological order instead of scrolling through new replies trying to remember if I've seen this IC already.

Strange, that is the default behavior when I click on a topic.  Maybe you have "show most recent posts a the top" selected.  Check setting in Profile> Account Settings > Look and Layout (on the left menu)

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #731 on: Thu, 25 August 2022, 11:27:33 »

You can but there's no shortcut for it on the UI :

IC : https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=132.0;sort=first_post;desc

GB : https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=70.0;sort=first_post;desc
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #732 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 21:53:32 »
For the ultimate profile, I think a section to a list of your keyboards cool be a good, I know people usually put in their signature but I think having it on my profile would also be good.

Offline blondie

« Reply #733 on: Thu, 14 March 2024, 07:12:15 »
It used to be when viewing unread topics since my last visit, I would see multiple pages' worth of them. Now it is just one page. This makes it too easy to miss topics if I don't constantly check every hour or two (day and night!). Please allow for multiple pages' worth of unread topics again.

Update:
I might be mistaken. Maybe I need to be clicking on the button to show all unread posts. I will confirm later when enough unread posts arrive which would warrant a second page.

Confirmed, I left all the message unread and it eventually spilled over onto multiple pages. No issue here thanks!
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2024, 09:01:03 by blondie »