Author Topic: [IC] GMK Taegeukgi | GROUPBUY IS LIVE  (Read 105017 times)

Offline myseriousdark14

Re: [IC] GMK Taegeukgi | LAST MINUTE CHANGES
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 10:12:20 »

This thread and other discussions about the set have made me realize how very unrmpathetic some keyset designers can be, and it's extremely disheartening. If you can't spend an hour watching a critique video and reading how people are affected by it, should you really be in charge of what people are able to buy, especially if it's made to represent them a certain group of them?

Such a good point. Designers should be humble and empathetic, without ego. That's how you become a great designer. Not hiding behind their filmsy "good intentions"

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #201 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:11:26 »

This thread and other discussions about the set have made me realize how very unrmpathetic some keyset designers can be, and it's extremely disheartening. If you can't spend an hour watching a critique video and reading how people are affected by it, should you really be in charge of what people are able to buy, especially if it's made to represent them a certain group of them?

Such a good point. Designers should be humble and empathetic, without ego. That's how you become a great designer. Not hiding behind their filmsy "good intentions"

says the guy with an alt with 4 posts on this forum...

I think Smokey has been more than empathetic on this IC and he implemented a ton of changes on request from other people and when someone came up with some constructive and valid criticism it usually didn't take long for those changes to be made to the set.

What does it matter that someone decided to make that video 2 weeks before the GB?

It matters because this IC is up for over four months now and a lot of other people have made valid requests and brought up constructive criticism for things that should get changed on the set.
And pretty much all those requested changes were made.
If someone makes a literal hate video (yes that's what it was. it was far from constructive criticism) two weeks before the set is going into groupbuy he can't expect that everything that he doesn't like gets immediately changed.
He had more than enough time to fill out the IC form and request changes based on real constructive criticism instead of making a 40 minute video crying about "why I hate this set".

And quite a few of the points that this dude made in his video are total utter garbage claims.
For example: "imagine someone making a canadian set with maple syrup, hockey and maple leafs. This would be against canadian culture as well"
How else would someone make a set about canada?
And you wanna know whats even funnier? Deskhero who is from canada thought that this would actually be a nice idea for a keycap set.

Another example:
Someone is making a set themed to the Oktoberfest rn. Do I have to be mad at him now because I'm german and the Oktoberfest doesn't represent german culture at all?

I think you are overexaggerating the importance of a stupid KEYCAP SET quite a bit.
It's plastic that you put on a keyboard. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But please stop crying and complaining so much.

I think quite a few other people really like this set and the designer of this is far from unempathatic.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:42:02 by elmo »

Offline aslanxdeft

Re: [IC] GMK Hanguk | LAST MINUTE CHANGES
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:28:53 »
What does it matter that someone decided to make that video 2 weeks before the GB? Some people won't see this set until the last day of the GB. Are you going to turn them away if they want to buy it? The timing is out of your hands, as well as theirs for that matter, regardless of how long the IC has been up.

Also, stop hiding behind your intentions. Impact matters (especially in a communal society like Korea) and the fact is you made a cringey AF set that is a poor representative of the subject matter (Japanese tableware, scallions sprinkled over cables--WTF).

You dismiss criticism you don't like as "subjective" and refer to them as "allegations" while avoiding addressing them (sounds like a certain orange-toned world leader we all know). Sorry, but there is no conspiracy against you. You made a bad set and people are calling you for it. No one is making "allegations," just simply voicing their opinions which you claim to respect. Well, respect them by listening--actually listening--and not writing them off as being non-objective.

You also continue to emphasize that many native Koreans have continued to voice their support for the set. That's great, but it doesn't negate the criticism from other parts of the Korean diaspora, none of which you have responded to in any meaningful manner. I hope you can understand that.

Good luck with the GB.
Why even make an alt account. Just post it on your main if you stand behind your message.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #203 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:34:27 »
I think you are overexaggerating the importance of a stupid KEYCAP SET quite a bit.
It's plastic that you put on a keyboard. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But please stop crying and complaining so much.

This is the exact method of thinking that hits home the point of the video. The more you simplify cultural appropriation to "well just don't buy it" and "it's just plastic why are you getting so mad" the faster it becomes integrated into the entire system. There is CLEARLY still an opportunity to see change and get somewhere with these points, proven by the runner making changes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:39:37 by Kokaloo »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:41:53 »
Smokey, I think you did a wonderful job addressing these concerns, many of which were valid even if the way they were delivered was unnecessarily hostile and undermined the important point they were trying to make. In the end, the set will be better than it was without these changes. I really appreciate the way most people in the community have responded head-on, in an adult way, here on the IC and thread.

I appreciate similarly those who brought up issues they had with my own designs in a thoughtful way, even when I could tell they were clearly upset about certain choices I made. It was a great opportunity to have an important conversation, and to get the visual language right for what is essentially a love letter to another culture. Some things I changed, some things I didn't, and thanks to them, the product turned out far better for it, and in the true spirit of an interest check, it was a great chance to have a collaborative effort with the whole community. What I did not do was run out and make any changes that were demanded of me by people who were not going to be happy unless I made the exact choices they would have made, and delivered these demands in a way I wouldn't talk to a stray dog. What I did do was talk through issues with a lot of friends and acquaintances, learn a lot from them, and make the work better.

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 12:01:57 »
Like I said.

I appreciate every response. The ones liking what I did, complimenting it and the ones giving me criticism. I can only learn from them. And one can only learn from making certain mistakes. I can‘t do more than saying that I apologize if someone felt or feels offended.

In fact, in the video were some good points, absolutely no doubt about that. But when it comes to a point when people talk about how maschine f‘ed up when he rendered my set on Geist with the wrong porcellaine or chopsticks, bashing Salvun because he depicted our artisan collab on a tray, the GSK artisan in front of a SK flag or keebstuff sprinkling scallions on a cable product picture, this is just ridiculous and hateful.

But I think now would be the time to move on. Everything that needs to be said was said, I think.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 12:36:06 »
Like I said.

I appreciate every response. The ones liking what I did, complimenting it and the ones giving me criticism. I can only learn from them. And one can only learn from making certain mistakes. I can‘t do more than saying that I apologize if someone felt or feels offended.

In fact, in the video were some good points, absolutely no doubt about that. But when it comes to a point when people talk about how maschine f‘ed up when he rendered my set on Geist with the wrong porcellaine or chopsticks, bashing Salvun because he depicted our artisan collab on a tray, the GSK artisan in front of a SK flag or keebstuff sprinkling scallions on a cable product picture, this is just ridiculous and hateful.

But I think now would be the time to move on. Everything that needs to be said was said, I think.

not sure what you were expecting when you labeled a keyset to represent an entire country or the country's flag. why are people getting offended at my good intentions??!

and why aren't you genuinely apologetic for being ignorant? we all have to start somewhere, and no one wants your apology for "if someone felt or feels offended".

besides the gratuitous aggro behind this post, i think you handled this v well.

anyong, back to the woodwork i go (anyong is like aloha in that it could mean either hello or goodbye)
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline myseriousdark14

Re: [IC] GMK Hanguk | LAST MINUTE CHANGES
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 12:37:40 »
Why even make an alt account. Just post it on your main if you stand behind your message.

Like I said, there's no conspiracy going on. This is my only account, which I was inspired to make when I saw the video. And like Smokey just said, I think everything that needs to be said has been. I stand by my message and wish the runner luck.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 14:02:26 »
I didn't watch the video but I heard there was drama. Who gives a **** what the inspiration or back story to a set is. If it's good looking and appeals to you then consider buying it. If not, just look at a different set. I can't imagine people unironically being offended.

This is exactly why I just scroll past any 1500 word essays about how their grandmas refrigerator door had a loose rusted hinge which forced them to go to a store to look for a replacement where they happened to stumble across a highschool knitting club knitting an arabian carpet with a pattern that ended up inspiring them to grab a bite to eat and they happened to have kimchi at the asian restaurant they went to there so the set is now based on apricots. come on people, what the ****

edit; we have bigger problems in the world to make 40 min videos about, like what modifier legends people are using. wake up

I would implore someone like who you has had many successful group buys (6 right?) to watch the video because it brings up points of consumerist choice. People should be spending more time thinking how they should be spending their money and what the set represents. "ooooooo kbbq!!!!" is what a lot of people got from glancing at this set but internally there was a lot more going on. This thread and other discussions about the set have made me realize how very unempathetic some keyset designers can be, and it's extremely disheartening. If you can't spend an hour watching a critique video and reading how people are affected by it, should you really be in charge of what people are able to buy, especially if it's made to represent a certain group of them?

People are getting away with virtually scamming their customers by for example mismatching, changing keys at their whim without repercussions. You're still standing there, happy to buy their next set as if nothing happened.
I wish you'd show this level of devotion to paying attention to that and holding those people accountable.

Consumerist choice? I know this very well. Here is some legit critique I faced, and I wish I was making this up:
"IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A REAL LIFE FIREFLY!!!!!"
"IT'S NOT EVEN RED"
Not one word about if the colorway itself is good or not, but they choose to nitpick the (imo) most meaningless thing, the name of the set.

Oh I know consumerist choice very well. Do you know how many people actually like the things I put out, but refuse to buy it because of my name? I do.  :thumb:

Now stop crying about things that have already been adressed, and let's devote our attention to the one thing that matter - exterminating sacrilegous dixie mods off of the face of the planet. This is a cause worth devoting your life to.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 14:04:58 »
I didn't watch the video but I heard there was drama. Who gives a **** what the inspiration or back story to a set is. If it's good looking and appeals to you then consider buying it. If not, just look at a different set. I can't imagine people unironically being offended.

This is exactly why I just scroll past any 1500 word essays about how their grandmas refrigerator door had a loose rusted hinge which forced them to go to a store to look for a replacement where they happened to stumble across a highschool knitting club knitting an arabian carpet with a pattern that ended up inspiring them to grab a bite to eat and they happened to have kimchi at the asian restaurant they went to there so the set is now based on apricots. come on people, what the ****

edit; we have bigger problems in the world to make 40 min videos about, like what modifier legends people are using. wake up

I would implore someone like who you has had many successful group buys (6 right?) to watch the video because it brings up points of consumerist choice. People should be spending more time thinking how they should be spending their money and what the set represents. "ooooooo kbbq!!!!" is what a lot of people got from glancing at this set but internally there was a lot more going on. This thread and other discussions about the set have made me realize how very unempathetic some keyset designers can be, and it's extremely disheartening. If you can't spend an hour watching a critique video and reading how people are affected by it, should you really be in charge of what people are able to buy, especially if it's made to represent a certain group of them?
People are getting away with virtually scamming their customers by for example mismatching, changing keys at their whim without repercussions. You're still standing there, happy to buy their next set as if nothing happened.
I wish you'd show this level of devotion to paying attention to that and holding those people accountable.

You should ask Dixie about how much trouble I give him. I wish the second half of my post didn't go over your head, but I suppose I can only do so much.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 14:06:49 by Kokaloo »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 14:17:21 »

You should ask Dixie about how much trouble I give him. I wish the second half of my post didn't go over your head, but I suppose I can only do so much.

You mean that I ignored the part where you answered yourself?

Yes, a lot of designers are unemphatic. Why? Because they don't need to be emphatic, people will buy their stuff anyway. We have people out here laughing all the way to their bank with your money while rerunning the same colorway in 5 profiles and 3 rounds while also having 8 other sets in IC and a simultaneous side GB active while not caring about you at all and not taking responsibility when they **** up in a GB.

Now, what is the solution to that? I think we both know, and we both know we can't do anything about it.

Have a great evening and best of luck with the gb smokey! :thumb:

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #211 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 15:25:10 »

Why is it that whenever you insert yourself into drama, you always feel the need to point out how little you've actually absorbed it, and instead just use it as a platform for saying that we should have less artistic integrity and more sets of all stripes pumped out and clogging the queue? Or barring that, how every set simply must be designed to your standards and that anything less is proof that everyone else is a talentless hack?

You have a lot of opinions on sets, that much is painfully clear. But they're just opinions, and they're no more valid than any others in this thread.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 17:56:32 »
Smokey, I think you did a wonderful job addressing these concerns, many of which were valid even if the way they were delivered was unnecessarily hostile and undermined the important point they were trying to make. In the end, the set will be better than it was without these changes. I really appreciate the way most people in the community have responded head-on, in an adult way, here on the IC and thread.

I agree.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 21:02:35 »
Like I said.

not sure what you were expecting when you labeled a keyset to represent an entire country or the country's flag. why are people getting offended at my good intentions??!

and why aren't you genuinely apologetic for being ignorant? we all have to start somewhere, and no one wants your apology for "if someone felt or feels offended".

besides the gratuitous aggro behind this post, i think you handled this v well.

anyong, back to the woodwork i go (anyong is like aloha in that it could mean either hello or goodbye)

anyong!

Just add some yellow accents, and change it to JP.  Then it'll be an allmight set.  EZPZ.  Thank you
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 October 2020, 21:20:40 by slickmamba »
Hi :)

Offline Philbeey

« Reply #214 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 22:05:30 »

anyong!

Just add some yellow accents, and change it to JP.  Then it'll be an allmight set.  EZPZ.  Thank you

Unironically would have flown without heakseeking from random last minute outcry if so.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 01:29:21 »
Hello everyone,

new Box Art:

New Hahoe Tal (Mask) Novelty, more specifically a "Bune" Tal (부네):

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 01:40:05 by SMOKEY »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 01:55:50 »
Someone is making a set themed to the Oktoberfest rn. Do I have to be mad at him now because I'm german and the Oktoberfest doesn't represent german culture at all?

It would be like someone making GMK Germany which is just black, red, yellow and has nothing but saucage and beer references. It's saying Germany is nothing else but Oktoberfest.

This is such a dishonest argument. If it's not important, then why are you all up in arms about it?

Offline low_key_keyboards

• I like to make custom keyboard cases.
    • Low Key Keyboards
Re: [IC] GMK Taegeukgi | New Novelty, new Box Art
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 02:10:14 »
I'm so late to the party.

What a super duper amazing list of collaborators!

Big hype for this!

Offline Tyler

• hhkb >
« Reply #218 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 02:28:26 »
Thread reminds me of this.

If I didn't like someone, I would avoid them. If you don't agree with the set, you can decide not to buy it. It sounds insensitive, but it's probably the most reasonable compromise at this stage of the ic.

I wish you could, but you can't make everyone happy.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 02:34:17 »
It would be like someone making GMK Germany which is just black, red, yellow and has nothing but saucage and beer references. It's saying Germany is nothing else but Oktoberfest.
And I couldn't care less if someone actually did this. I just wouldn't buy it.

This is such a dishonest argument. If it's not important, then why are you all up in arms about it?
Because people personally attacking the designer of this set and calling him "unempathetic" or spreading outright lies about him (mostly in the comments on the video on youtube) is a **** thing to do over some plastic keycaps that have absolutely no importance outside of this hobby whatsoever.

Offline wukong_bot

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 09:49:38 »

Because people personally attacking the designer of this set and calling him "unempathetic" or spreading outright lies about him (mostly in the comments on the video on youtube) is a **** thing to do over some plastic keycaps that have absolutely no importance outside of this hobby whatsoever.
Lol so whenever someone makes an insensitive product we should ignore it? Just let it perpetuate stereotypes, exoticism, and insensitive behavior?

And are you korean? If not you shouldn't be speaking on behalf of koreans who find this set offensive.

Not to mention smokey never gave anything close to a genuine apology for the atrocity he first created lmfao

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:01:51 »

I'm gonna be honest, I was actually thinking of making this.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:11:31 »

I'm gonna be honest, I was actually thinking of making this.

there are people on the german mech discord that would probably even like that...

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:15:19 »

Last I checked, that is literally all you do here. Your double standards are really getting a little ridiculous here. And "crying" is not an effective comeback for legitimate, well-developed criticism, that just makes you look even more petty beyond your childish projection.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:24:40 »
Last I checked, that is literally all you do here. Your double standards are really getting a little ridiculous here. And "crying" is not an effective comeback for legitimate, well-developed criticism, that just makes you look even more petty beyond your childish projection.

Please tell me more
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:29:13 by elmo »

Offline wukong_bot

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:29:15 »

Show Image

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #226 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:36:51 »

But they do have importance if you think for a second about how misrepresentation can affect people. I didn't see anybody calling this runner unempathetic, if you're referring to my statement is was totally about the aftermath of Smokey making changes, and seeing some designers feel it wasn't an appropriate decision, even giving the same weak smokescreen reasoning that you are.

Smokey is going MILES to change and make right, while you're still camping this thread thinking that anything but ignorance is on your side.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:39:34 by Kokaloo »

Offline Philbeey

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:38:54 »

Looks better when you're quoted.

--------

And aside from the same weak arguments being made which are seemingly blind to plenty of input from Koreans who have viewed and supported and given constructive feedback.

But hey my simple check list a few days back is still unanswered and the concensus seems to be if different people relay the baton around a circle no valid points need be answered.

You can't loop answers back around constantly to avoid giving actual feedback or rebuttals.

We all know you all read the thread so if things are already questioned and answered. Perhaps try to address those instead of feigning ignorance and trying to reset the entire ordeal.

You're angsty passion for a topic doesn't immediately make you an infallible resistance fighter. Especially when there are plenty of us who in fact do support the kit, in fact finding it without fault.

We're not "shutting other opinions down" as ironically is the constant argument. We're just voicing our opposing opinion and as stated, "you don't speak for all Koreans" let alone those of you who are American Korean
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 10:50:45 by Philbeey »

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:14:58 »

Damn. Is that an attack on Zambumon?

Offline wukong_bot

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:18:31 »

Looks better when you're quoted.

--------

And aside from the same weak arguments being made which are seemingly blind to plenty of input from Koreans who have viewed and supported and given constructive feedback.

But hey my simple check list a few days back is still unanswered and the concensus seems to be if different people relay the baton around a circle no valid points need be answered.

You can't loop answers back around constantly to avoid giving actual feedback or rebuttals.

We all know you all read the thread so if things are already questioned and answered. Perhaps try to address those instead of feigning ignorance and trying to reset the entire ordeal.

You're angsty passion for a topic doesn't immediately make you an infallible resistance fighter. Especially when there are plenty of us who in fact do support the kit, in fact finding it without fault.

We're not "shutting other opinions down" as ironically is the constant argument. We're just voicing our opposing opinion and as stated, "you don't speak for all Koreans" let alone those of you who are American Korean
I didn't read the whole thread I just found out about this set last night lmao

Please enlighten me tho as to how the original set and the creators attitude are acceptable in your eyes tho

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:44:42 »

Please enlighten me tho as to how the original set and the creators attitude are acceptable in your eyes tho

Maybe you should read the entire thread then before throwing in your dumb comments...

Offline wukong_bot

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:48:41 »

Maybe you should read the entire thread then before throwing in your dumb comments...
Lmao what'd I say that's dumb. I skimmed through smokey's replies

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:50:43 »
Not to mention smokey never gave anything close to a genuine apology for the atrocity he first created lmfao

All this aside, I do, under no circumstances, want to be known as a designer  / creator / human being that disrespects a whole country and its culture.
I am not a person like that, but I understand some people feel that way. For that, I want to deeply apologize. This was not my intent.

I deeply regret that some people felt their culture disrespected. By this change, I want to take the focus off of the "culture". And I think it makes sense, since the complete set has the original, specified colors of the Korean Flag anyways, as well as I have all of this in my novelties, too (Taegeuk, Trigrams i.e.).

Doesn't get any better than that, sorry...
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:53:39 by SMOKEY »

Offline wukong_bot

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:51:31 »

Wasn't even gonna bother typing in this thread till I saw u saying if something offends u just don't buy it hilarious attitude

Offline wukong_bot

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 13:53:37 »

All this aside, I do, under no circumstances, want to be known as a designer  / creator / human being that disrespects a whole country and its culture.
I am not a person like that, but I understand some people feel that way. For that, I want to deeply apologize. This was not my intent.

I deeply regret that some people felt their culture disrespected. By this change, I want to take the focus off of the "culture". And I think it makes sense, since the complete set has the original, specified colors of the Korean Flag anyways, as well as I have all of this in my novelties, too (Taegeuk, Trigrams i.e.).

Doens't get any better than that, sorry...

Lol bruh u don't even acknowledge what specifically u did wrong. And ur change is saying ur gonna focus off the culture yet ur set is based on the korean flag which has a ton of cultural significance????

Offline Philbeey

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 14:24:48 »

lolwut why is it on us if you haven't read through an entire thread. This is a forum not a twitter thread, it's basic etiquette in order to stay up to date.

lolwutx2 why on earth is the onus of proof on me? It's not my job to prove the teapot doesn't reside behind Mars. That's your job since you're the one here late in groupbuy spouting problems with no actual reasoning to back it up. Instead relying on poor attempts at snarkiness pandered as wit to get by

What on earth is your thought process here? You don't go into a Pizzeria and say they're making pizzas wrong and then ask them, "Well tell me what you're even doing right! I haven't even seen your menu lel"

Lol bruh u don't even acknowledge what specifically u did wrong. And ur change is saying ur gonna focus off the culture yet ur set is based on the korean flag which has a ton of cultural significance????

It's not all or nothing you realise. You can reduce the focus on something by changing the scope and well... focus.. on it.
Like everyone else you're end goal solution is basically "scrap or nothing", to better let me understand where you're coming from, what exactly would the adjustments be for example.

You've been thus far hesitant to say the least of providing any actual information so here's your platform and opportunity to truly enlighten us since you're hiding behind the bush and beating around it simultaneously claiming profound knowledge of the clear path to the solution. Yet you're entirely avoidant of actually providing anything with a morsel of actual usefulness.

Go on, we can dispense with the cheap personal attacks and theatre and really get to it right now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 14:30:17 by Philbeey »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:09:36 »
Hey Smokey. Just got time to read your revisions. I think you did an incredible job responding to the critique, staying humble, and accepting the feedback. That's an admirable attitude. GLWIC and GB!

Offline myseriousdark14

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:23:38 »
But when it comes to a point when people talk about how maschine f‘ed up when he rendered my set on Geist with the wrong porcellaine or chopsticks, bashing Salvun because he depicted our artisan collab on a tray, the GSK artisan in front of a SK flag or keebstuff sprinkling scallions on a cable product picture, this is just ridiculous and hateful.

Sorry, but you can't just dismiss some of this stuff as ridiculous just because it comes as a shock to you that Japanese tableware =/= Korean tableware.

The fact is that the people you tapped to render/photograph your product presented a set that "revolves around all things Korea" (your words) on a Japanese sushi board with Korean side dishes in Japanese lacquerware, topped off with Chinese/Japanese chopsticks. As the runner, it's your responsibility to catch these things.

At best, this suggests ignorance. At worst, it perpetuates the erroneous notion that all East Asians are the same. Do you think all Western Europeans are the same? Do you think the English are the same as the French, or the Germans the same as the Italians? The number of wars that that continent has seen over the centuries proves otherwise.

So no, the criticism is not ridiculous and hateful. It comes from a genuine place of hurt and disappointment at the continued perpetuation of a monolithic Asian identity, and the inability of foreigners to see us as individuals and not a group. That's disrespect.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 16:35:35 by myseriousdark14 »

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 21:10:07 »
Good luck & best wishes for your GB!
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2020, 21:16:29 by HungHingDaiLo »

Offline sirm1ster

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 05:49:34 »
I can't just leave this thread without a comment.

I just have to say i LOVE this set! It might not breathe "all things korean", but at least it is very representative of one of the BEST things about Korea: KOREAN FOOD!

There might be some things people have said in previous comments that are true and constructive feedback, just worded in a very VERY bad way. I'm a seasoned traveller with much of my time spent in China and South Korea, married to a Korean, and i just LOVE everything about South Korea.
For sure I will be supporting this set by at least buying something of this set. Maybe not the entire set, but at least the parts i DO like about this set.

Opinions are, and will always be, relative to their author, but facts are there to be understood. Let that be known to one and all here in this thread.

I've only read about half of the new posts since I last stopped by, but it seemed to have run WAY out of proportions and became even up to a certain toxic level or ranting, rather than criticism and constructive feedback.

I am by no means a Korean expert or a native English speaker, so my understandings aren't 100% accurate or my writings 100% to the point. I am just trying to express my emotion on reading this here and supporting the creator of this set, of which I am sure he put as much effort and energy into as he could possible muster.
By creating this kind of (extensive) set there must surely be some oversight in creating and finetuning the details, but I think SMOKEY has done an excellent job so far creating a set as a tribute to South Korea and its culture.

I truly hope this GB meets its successful completion and I am looking forward to purchasing a, or some, parts of the set for my own enjoyment.

Make peace, not war.
Or at least make Korean Food!

Offline SMOKEY

Re: [IC] GMK Taegeukgi | PRICES are here!
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 02:05:18 »
PRICES are here!

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2020, 02:23:03 by SMOKEY »

Offline sirm1ster

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 02:48:59 »
All I can say right now... AWESOME prices.

Not at all as expensive as I feared they would be. I'm definitely in!

EDIT:
Ok, one more thing to say. Any estimate on when you get pricing on the Golden Star keycaps and coiled cables?
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2020, 03:08:31 by sirm1ster »

Offline Jm_123

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 06:40:58 »
Cool!
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2020, 06:59:06 by Jm_123 »

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 07:11:09 »
All I can say right now... AWESOME prices.

Not at all as expensive as I feared they would be. I'm definitely in!

EDIT:
Ok, one more thing to say. Any estimate on when you get pricing on the Golden Star keycaps and coiled cables?

Hey! I have more intel on all that in the GB thread, which is waiting to get approved by the mods right now.

Offline Bepis

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 17:56:31 »
Interesting thread... Cool desk mat though

Offline Philbeey

[IC] GMK Taegeukgi | PRICES are here!
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 10:00:19 »
I know right? Odd how the apparently extremely passionate have disappeared after the bandwagon ran out of outrage.
Lots of smoke but no fuel to the fire it seems

Oddly all stopped at the same time hmm
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 October 2020, 16:03:22 by Philbeey »

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 02:55:48 »

For GeekHack GroupBuy Thread click  HERE

For EU (Mykeyboard.eu) click HERE

For USA (TX Keyboards) click HERE

For CANADA (DeskHero.ca) click HERE

For AUSTRALIA (DailyClack) click HERE

For ASIA (ILUMKB) click HERE

For KOREA (letsgetit.io INTERNATIONAL and DOMESTIC) click HERE

For KOREA (cafe.naver.com DOMESTIC) click HERE
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 05:30:03 by SMOKEY »

Offline wukong_bot

Re: [IC] GMK Taegeukgi | GB is LIVE!
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 11:48:07 »
I know right? Odd how the apparently extremely passionate have disappeared after the bandwagon ran out of outrage.
Lots of smoke but no fuel to the fire it seems

Oddly all stopped at the same time hmm
Lmao bc there's no point. This set gonna run regardless of what we say or do. And smokey doesn't gaf lul

Offline Philbeey

Re: [IC] GMK Taegeukgi | GB is LIVE!
« Reply #248 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 11:51:35 »
Lmao bc there's no point. This set gonna run regardless of what we say or do. And smokey doesn't gaf lul

Damn you mean this whole set didn't stop for guys?  :eek:

Offline Leon_TheKing

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 06:47:17 »

Sorry, I don't even know what to use to sterotype your country. But let's imagine you are someone from the states, and I as an Asian never setting foot in the states come up with a set with Coke, Burger and Donuts and call it GMK USA or as the author now changed "Star and Stripes". What would you think? I think you are the one who should seriously wake up and be more sensative about other people's culture.