Author Topic: [IC] Doppelgänger - 65ish% Split + Macro Pad  (Read 67212 times)

Offline beekey

Re: [IC] Doppelgänger - 65ish% Split + Macro Pad
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 09:55:01 »
Rotary encoder for the top right? Nice for custom looks and functionality.

Offline noahf

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 30 November 2019, 12:00:16 »
Quick Update: things havnt been idle, but a lot of "behind the scenes" have been happening. I am working close with mykeyboard.eu and trying to get some things going. The board is currently on its way to me and should be here before LA meetup. Its looking like the GB will be delayed a little bit because of this, but we will see. Also, theres a possibility of another manu that may try and do the top and keep the angles of the top true to its design. im quite excited about that and am working closely to see if its possible.

Saw this on stream and loved it. Watching this project with interest and will likely try to get one!

thanks! Jae did a great job.

Looks great! Very imposing look. Layout also works well for me and I like the idea of the C-C connection between the halves. Personally not a fan of the blocker vents since I really like the look and retro throwback of a full 2x5 macro column. I also spy Alps mount in the PCB, my interest is definitely checked.
theres design choices and practical choices, and those are a design choice. I do hope to offer alps...

Is this gonna be shipped from any proxy in EU ? (asking because taxes)
I am interested.

yes this will be shipped from mykeyboard.eu to help the euro's

Just when my European wallet thought it was safe for a change...  :))

no rest for the wicked

Inject this into my veins!  This is very exciting.

injection coming soon!
I am on this like flies on manure

ill take that as a compliment!

This is great, but I have to say I'm not completely convinced by the vents, something about them seems a little off (besides the previously highlighted spacing issues), like they were taken from another board.

I understand the appeal of symmetry but I think that it would be better to have the left columns be "complete" too.

design. these were not copied from another board. originally the spaces were just blockers, but I added them to create a little depth and symmetry between the 2 sides.

I also think it would be better without the top left blocker for a more complete looking macro pad, although the double blockers are also nice for the symmetrical aspect.

100% trying to get in on this regardless. Board looked amazing on stream!

with this much feedback, maybe ill see if I can get a render of a "functional" left macro pad vs mine, but no promises.

Rotary encoder for the top right? Nice for custom looks and functionality.

rotary encoders have their place, just not on these board.

Offline noahf

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 17:25:37 »
A new Proto is happening with Salvun to try and keep the top angle true to design. Materials have been ordered and should hopefully be done soonish. Ill update when I know more.

Offline holysht_itschris

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 18:20:36 »
A new Proto is happening with Salvun to try and keep the top angle true to design. Materials have been ordered and should hopefully be done soonish. Ill update when I know more.
Great news!  So excited for this board!

Offline VXQN

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 06:00:28 »

I don't quite understand this, what's wrong with the top angle? (do you mean the general angle of the board?)

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 06:30:03 »

I don't quite understand this, what's wrong with the top angle? (do you mean the general angle of the board?)

Not sure you followed this but the proto Jae built had the top a little bit lower - the more you go up, the deeper the plate sits. That was hell to manufacture and the prototype took a really long time to be made. Noah is looking into options to not drop that feature :)

Jae talking about that on his build stream:
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 December 2019, 06:31:34 by JSaintS »

Offline VXQN

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 10:07:38 »

Not sure you followed this but the proto Jae built had the top a little bit lower - the more you go up, the deeper the plate sits. That was hell to manufacture and the prototype took a really long time to be made. Noah is looking into options to not drop that feature :)

Jae talking about that on his build stream:

I get it now, Thanks for the link. I hadn't watched the stream until now. The board looks NICE. I'm even coming around to the "incomplete" macro columns on the left.

Offline mochiu

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 08:57:16 »
Looking really good, glad to hear about the new proto.

Will rose gold be a colour option like in the renders?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 12:01:23 »
Will rose gold be a colour option like in the renders?

I hope so too!

Offline VXQN

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 06:38:30 »
Eagerly awaiting news of the new proto!

I also wondered: Where is this shipping from? I've seen mention of the UK and the US, and I know that Salvun is in the EU...

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 00:18:58 »
This looks pretty cool!

Offline noahf

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 21:04:53 »
Eagerly awaiting news of the new proto!

I also wondered: Where is this shipping from? I've seen mention of the UK and the US, and I know that Salvun is in the EU...

New proto has been in development for quite some time, trying to get everything right for Manu. If you are in EU, it will ship from EU (mykeyboard.eu) but ROW will ship from USA.

This looks pretty cool!
thanks rmendis! I will dm you when gb is going to go live so you don't miss out.

Update: We have been working on a new Proto and its just taking time. There have been a lot of changes to the CAD files to help Manu be a bit easier, nothing that changes the aesthetic/function of the board though. A lot of internal stuff. Once its good and Salvun runs it, photos/build will be posted.

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 21:17:27 »
We’re all still interested! Glad to hear it’s coming along.

Offline oscdawg

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 23:31:44 »
This looks fantastic! Going to be following this one closely

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Danteh

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 00:13:47 »
I'd love to get in on this, been looking for something similar to the VE.A for a while and I'm glad I found this.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 00:55:50 »
Hello!

This boards awesome, great work. I do have 1 suggestion however. I've been using a pseudo split board like this for a few months now and what i've found is that people who use their left hand for spacebar press the spacebar with their thumb approximately under where the f key meets the g key. To that end, I'd recommend you add options for the bottom row that allow more flexibility to users because right now i think the layout would be annoying with the thumb hitting the 1u key.

Check out what VIA 2nd did for example in the image below.

TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 22:39:10 »
Salvuns proto work looks tight. Def excited for this. What purpose does the grill in the upper left/right serve?

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 12:20:47 »
Good concept!
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2020, 13:57:40 by dom »

Offline jjoejimmy

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 01:13:18 »
Any chance of PCB only sale?

Offline ISOxSwap

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 13:59:06 »
Did I miss this? I want a board like this but I'm to inpatient for the Quefrency Rev.2. =)

Offline DonaldPShimoda

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 19:18:03 »
This is super cool. Is there any update about when the GB will take place?

Offline kriscables

• kriscables.com
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 04:38:31 »
I really like this project. Will keep an eye  ;)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 07:36:46 »
This boards awesome, great work. I do have 1 suggestion however. I've been using a pseudo split board like this for a few months now and what i've found is that people who use their left hand for spacebar press the spacebar with their thumb approximately under where the f key meets the g key. To that end, I'd recommend you add options for the bottom row that allow more flexibility to users because right now i think the layout would be annoying with the thumb hitting the 1u key.

As a left thumb spacebar user, I can confirm that this is true and very important to take into account.

Offline holysht_itschris

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 17:55:08 »
Curious if there are any updates on this going to GB. My excitement for this board just keeps growing and growing!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 18:25:29 »
Curious if there are any updates on this going to GB. My excitement for this board just keeps growing and growing!
Think on Instagram salvun showed he was still working on the proto.

Offline jeffsui

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 14:48:23 »
Love the layout - hope I can get into the GB :)

Offline hejog

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 17:43:01 »
love this layout. in!

Offline noahf

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:26:35 »

As a left thumb spacebar user, I can confirm that this is true and very important to take into account.

ill look into offering that bottom row on the right side as an option. It should be possible.

oh you are too nice. the proto is being worked on, new material has been ordered for the bottom piece. Both top and bot have been ran in the cnc, just waiting on material for a new bottom run and then hopefully finishing process? ive been bugging Salvun more and more

love this layout. in!

thanks! soonish, hopefully. its been almost a year in the making  :-X

Offline utdconsq

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 03:21:39 »
So glad I tuned in before this has gone to GB. Any movement on the 40 units? After some love on reddit lately, maybe you guys could do a few more for those of us who aren't so fast to order...

Offline geewiz

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:13:15 »
So glad I tuned in before this has gone to GB. Any movement on the 40 units? After some love on reddit lately, maybe you guys could do a few more for those of us who aren't so fast to order...

This. A split custom of this quality with a staggered layout is my white whale. But I'm afraid of the disappointment not to be quick enough to score a specimen this rare.

Offline noahf

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 11:23:30 »

This. A split custom of this quality with a staggered layout is my white whale. But I'm afraid of the disappointment not to be quick enough to score a specimen this rare.

currently the plan is 20 for euro and 40 for ROW. Its going to be a QC nightmare. Its a fine line between this: supplying enough so everyone may have one and keeping price "normal", and keeping quantity low enough that I am actually able to QC and ship them in a reasonable time. I dont want to be in a spot where it takes me 8 months to ship boards because it takes me forever to get through QC. Once new proto is in and things are closer, I will see what kind of demand there is and see what I can do about numbers.

Offline jeffsui

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 13:37:56 »

- My sentiments exactly!!

Honestly I'll take any board with a split backspace and an arrow cluster - but then make it a split board on top of that and I'm super psyched!

Offline JDMFanatic

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 22:41:45 »
very interested... would definitely buy this

Offline gummybur

• Keep calm and curry on
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 05:52:49 »

ill look into offering that bottom row on the right side as an option. It should be possible.

oh you are too nice. the proto is being worked on, new material has been ordered for the bottom piece. Both top and bot have been ran in the cnc, just waiting on material for a new bottom run and then hopefully finishing process? ive been bugging Salvun more and more

love this layout. in!

thanks! soonish, hopefully. its been almost a year in the making  :-X

For what its worth with regards to the bottom row layout, I’ve been using an entry lvl split board, the ymdk sp64, but i mainly use the spacebar on the right thumb. I actually use the 1u key next to the left spacebar with my thumb to access the second layer on the left side easily! So if you fidn a way to accomplish both layouts I think id be really good !! :) anyways wanted to say highly interested in this too! Saw it on reddit but havent heard about it so I  thought itd been shelved, but really happy its still in progress!!! Keep up the good work noahf!!

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:29:03 by gummybur »

Offline Danteh

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:04:26 »
Any updates on this?

Offline J_Noes

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 21:53:44 »
Any updates on this?

I'm really hoping the project's fine, I'd love to get one.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 08:30:54 »

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm glad to hear this and I'm eager to see what you come up with for a left space configuration. I think 1.5–1–1.5–2.75 (left) and 2.25–1.5–1–1.5 (right) is a pretty good contender.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 17:32:19 »
I’m not a left thumb spacer but agree the left space should go the outside and swap positions with the FN key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 08:29:28 »
Is Doppelganger dead?  Even if not, the way that FCFS sales go now, with only 40 units available there is basically 0 chance of landing one of these. :(  Guaranteed this would sell out in less than 30 seconds.

Offline noahf

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 19:52:08 »
Update:

Doppelganger is not dead. Ive actually been using it exclusively for the last 4 months when in lockdown. I really enjoy the split feature and find my self adjusting my board throughout the day to stay comfortable.

Regarding proto: TL;DR there were some issues with the original files/design that made it very tricky to machine. Salvun was trying to solve these with tooling but finally ran into a roadblock where that was no longer possible. I worked with Max to get these issues resolved (really he did all the work and I just asked him to do it and bribed him with coffee) and now have files that should allow Salvun to run the proto asap. Basically: the inside wall (the part that joins the split) was too deep/tall for the radius we were using (really sharp) and so the tool couldnt get in and cut it correctly. so now its a bit more "rounded" but should allow for easier manufacturing. We also changed how the bottom meets the top on this inside seem to get rid of some tricky areas. Overall, nothing huge to the design or feature of the board, just some of the minor details.

As for the left space bar/fn issue: Ive decided to offer this as the solution:

And I am trying to get this version ran for the proto:

I think I will run non blocker for the GB.

Salvun said he would get this in the queue asap and the files have been delivered to him. Once this is actually made, Ill announce GB. Things have changed ALOT in the scene from when I first started this project and its been over a year. Back then, 40 units (and then +20 for euro) seemed like a lot of units. Nowadays, 40 or 60 units are sold in under 10 seconds. So I will revisit quantity and all that stuff. But remember, I am just a single human that has a lot of life projects going on. Ill see what can be done about getting more units produced/qc'd.

very interested... would definitely buy this

thank you.

For what its worth with regards to the bottom row layout, I’ve been using an entry lvl split board, the ymdk sp64, but i mainly use the spacebar on the right thumb. I actually use the 1u key next to the left spacebar with my thumb to access the second layer on the left side easily! So if you fidn a way to accomplish both layouts I think id be really good !! :) anyways wanted to say highly interested in this too! Saw it on reddit but havent heard about it so I  thought itd been shelved, but really happy its still in progress!!! Keep up the good work noahf!!

see update. i listen. i made some changes.

Any updates on this?

yes!

I'm really hoping the project's fine, I'd love to get one.
its been slowly truckin.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm glad to hear this and I'm eager to see what you come up with for a left space configuration. I think 1.5–1–1.5–2.75 (left) and 2.25–1.5–1–1.5 (right) is a pretty good contender.
I made a change that allows the FN key to swap.

I’m not a left thumb spacer but agree the left space should go the outside and swap positions with the FN key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fine poesjuh!

Is Doppelganger dead?  Even if not, the way that FCFS sales go now, with only 40 units available there is basically 0 chance of landing one of these. :(  Guaranteed this would sell out in less than 30 seconds.

nope! not dead. please see update above with regards to unit and FCFS. as the GB actually gets closer, ill do a poll and see how many interested parties there actually are and what kinda of system allows for the fairest opportunity to own. these boards are for typing, not flipping.

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 20:43:13 »
I'm glad the board isn't dead, those macros on the left look juicy. Would love to grab one, especially without the corner blockers.

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 20:53:08 »
This left thumb spacer appreciates the continued life in this board and your changes

Offline FireLock

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 04:33:08 »
This is probably my way into split keyboards. I am looking forward to this.

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline VXQN

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 05:46:06 »
Glad to hear things are still moving. The design is too cool to let it die!

Offline ISOxSwap

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 08:05:12 »
It will be a race between this and quefrency rev.2 to get my money! 😋
(but probably a tie😜)

Offline NathanCVII

• Weeb I am
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 20:21:16 »
Any updates on this board? Been sitting on the money for it. Also really keen for that custom cable. Its impossible finding cables for split keebs
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 August 2020, 20:57:36 by NathanCVII »

Offline jack47

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 02:59:08 »
:o i'm in for this

Offline noahf

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 12:18:26 »
Any updates on this board? Been sitting on the money for it. Also really keen for that custom cable. Its impossible finding cables for split keebs

hoping to have big/good news anyday, ill post when things are official.

:o i'm in for this

its an awesome board. been my daily since Feb.

Offline utdconsq

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 05:10:42 »
Adding a 1+ to interest and also asking for that poll regarding availability. If you want to keep numbers low still, a raffle would be awesome, man.

Offline UberPlatypus

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 12:58:09 »
Absolutely interested. +1 I have been dying for a metal split board 😖