geekhack Community > Keyboards

When people ask about the typing height of a keyboard where do you messure from?

(1/2) > >>

Blitzschnitzel:
Since keycaps are also different hetghts and at an angle, what is the standard fix point here?

Blitzschnitzel:
Still interested in the answer. ;)

_rubik:
I've always thought the most important measurements are 1) typing angle 2) height of the front bezel (desk to "lip) 3) board depth

From that we can figure out 1) the back height 2) typing height (cap + bezel height)

I suppose you could also figure out home row height if you make the assumption that 0.5 * depth == home row

Leslieann:
Front height is from desk to top of keycap, this and angle are for ergonomic reasons, not aesthetics.

ISO standard are:
0-15 degrees tilt, preferably 5-12
Keyboard height from desk to top of keycap, MIDDLE ROW should not be more than 30mm.
I believe Japan states the front caps need to be 30mm from desk to top of cap.

This actually means many, if not most high end keyboards are at the limits or out of spec while taller boards like the Keychron K2 (and those like it) way out of spec.

_rubik:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Tue, 21 September 2021, 20:18:15 ---Front height is from desk to top of keycap, this and angle are for ergonomic reasons, not aesthetics.

ISO standard are:
0-15 degrees tilt, preferably 5-12
Keyboard height from desk to top of keycap, MIDDLE ROW should not be more than 30mm.
I believe Japan states the front caps need to be 30mm from desk to top of cap.

This actually means many, if not most high end keyboards are at the limits or out of spec while taller boards like the Keychron K2 (and those like it) way out of spec.

--- End quote ---

Isn't that measurement variable depending on the caps you choose? Sure, if you're manufacturing a keyboard that's sold as a complete unit, adhering to standards is useful. But the difference between, say, SA and LP could be statistically significant.

I guess it also matters from which perspective Blitz is asking the question: a keyboard designer or a consumer sharing the specs of their latest build

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version