Author Topic: What Keyboard is that?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline knightjp

What Keyboard is that?
« on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 08:48:26 »
I was watching the old Unix video just for the heck of it. Does anyone know what keyboard Brian Kernighan is using in this video?

Offline Findecanor

Re: What Keyboard is that?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 09:36:07 »
My guess is a ICL DRS-20 terminal.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 09:38:36 by Findecanor »

Offline knightjp

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 16:33:39 »
My guess is a ICL DRS-20 terminal.
Thinking along your idea and chain of thought, I also think that it could be HP 2622A terminal as well.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 18:12:51 »
That's a good call on the HP 2622, you can almost make out the silver badge too. Specifically I think the board is the 2622D STD. Take a look from a similar camera angle

The other option is the HP 125 product no. 45500A which was functionally equivalent to the 262x series anyway.

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 18:14:23 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 18:17:33 »
That original video ("The UNIX System: Making Computers More Productive") was shot in 1982, so the years make sense too. The 2622 was released in 78 and the 125 45500a in 81

Source video for those interested -- a super fun watch

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 18:20:17 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline knightjp

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 01:22:25 »
Yeah the UNIX video is very interesting. I think I've watched quite a few times and it still fascinates me. The view of all those people using those tall keyboards.. I guess it is no wonder that carpal tunnel suddenly became a popular issue among users.
I wonder if there are any HP 2622 keyboards out there for sale. I would like to know what are specs and stuff on those.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 17:33:19 »
Didn't have fancy syntax-highlighting text editors back in those days.  All monochrome with a tiny screen and a huge keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 17:40:15 »
Didn't have fancy syntax-highlighting text editors back in those days.  All monochrome with a tiny screen and a huge keyboard.

If it were up to me, we'd still be writing developer tools that are still 100% terminal compatible (and not just terminal emulator compat).

<insert rant about needing a mouse/>

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 15:20:17 »

If it were up to me, we'd still be writing developer tools that are still 100% terminal compatible (and not just terminal emulator compat).

Half my working day is spent in a terminal (the other half in a Java IDE).  If I could I'd just use one of my terminals, an HP 700/96 or an old Link (like a Wyse).  I wouldn't object to using an HP 2622 again, although they don't do 132 columns, which is a useful feature.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 15:24:08 »

Half my working day is spent in a terminal (the other half in a Java IDE).  If I could I'd just use one of my terminals, an HP 700/96 or an old Link (like a Wyse).  I wouldn't object to using an HP 2622 again, although they don't do 132 columns, which is a useful feature.

I've pushed most of my workflow into emacs (make jokes if you must), but unfortunately Slack took way their XMPP gateway and modern browsers are a necessity (for my work, at least). For a while I thought about getting a VT520 terminal for ****s and giggles (still do, actually) but pushing data over those old serial ports is easier said than done.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 September 2021, 15:24:06 »

I've pushed most of my workflow into emacs (make jokes if you must), but unfortunately Slack took way their XMPP gateway and modern browsers are a necessity (for my work, at least). For a while I thought about getting a VT520 terminal for ****s and giggles (still do, actually) but pushing data over those old serial ports is easier said than done.

I had a VT220 and a VT420, but the VT220 didn't work at all, and the VT420 screen was dim to the point of being unreadable.  Apparently it is possible to throw a huge voltage across the tube or something to rejuvenate it for a little while, but probably not worth it.

I've tried lots of USB to serial adaptors, some of them actually worked out of the box, and some weren't recognised by the OS.  A couple of my servers actually still have serial ports onboard, which is great.

However dumping huge amounts of text over a serial connection is as slow as.  I've gotten use to the blindingly fast GPU-accelerated terminal emulator I use on the Mac, unfortunately.