geekhack Community > Keyboards

Before buying an Apple Extended Keyboard... what to look out for.

(1/6) > >>

Astra Diesel:
Im trying to find a m0115, and from what I've read on lowendmac.com, these m0115's make a "click clock" sound when you type on them.

What I'm confused about is that the m0115's are either pink or orange alps switches/sliders (depending on when it was produced). So won't that make them inaudible, but still tactile? :confused:

Where can I find a white or blue alps slider keyboard. I'm trying to find a very loud, audible alps keyboard.

BTW, CVT tech support rep. Bob e-mailed me back saying that the Stellars and Primes do have BLACK alps with white plungers. (these aren't strongmans in disguise, are they?)

The IBM PC AT 84-key 's look nice. Do they have buckling spring or mechanical switch? clickykeyboards.com says that these have mechanical switches, so it makes the keys even MORE clickier than the Model M?

xsphat:
I have old school Apple keyboards with pink and orange sliders, and new black Alps in my SMK85. They are all tactile, but the pinks don't click. The old orange and the new blacks click and you can hear the springs.

The most balls-out loud keyboard I have is the SMK85. (check out my review of it in the wiki, it's the first review. I even have a recording of it) My kid is ten weeks old, sleeps through the night, the vacuum, doing the dishes, etc., but the second I pull out the SMK85, he wakes up screaming. If you're into the sound, go black.

iMav:

--- Quote from: Astra Diesel;2716 ---The IBM PC AT 84-key 's look nice. Do they have buckling spring or mechanical switch? clickykeyboards.com says that these have mechanical switches, so it makes the keys even MORE clickier than the Model M?
--- End quote ---

Buckling spring.

fkeidjn:
The M0115 that I have has orange Alps, and the M3501 that I have has bright yellow Alps.  The Orange Alps doesn't have the rubber damper, thus making the keyboard louder when "floored."

xsphat:

--- Quote from: fkeidjn;2740 ---The Orange Alps doesn't have the rubber damper, thus making the keyboard louder when "floored."
--- End quote ---

So what are the yellow sliders like? What5 are the old blacks like?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version