Previous Events Archive > KEYCON 2013 CHICAGO

the_beast's wood

<< < (15/15)

tjcaustin:

--- Quote from: mkawa on Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:25:17 ---
--- Quote from: The_Beast on Mon, 19 August 2013, 13:02:25 ---
--- Quote from: mkawa on Mon, 19 August 2013, 10:53:11 ---it would be too hard to keep it within the thickness specification due to changes in dimensions with humidity and temperature. it would basically just crack unless it was a wood composite (polymer with wood fibers dispersed)

--- End quote ---

If you can get larger sheets of stabilized wood, it would work. Stabilized wood is basically wood that has been put into a vacuum with a resin type material. The vacuum pulls the resin into the wood and turns it almost into plastic or it gains the properties of plastic (ie no movements due to humidity and temperature) but still looks like wood.

--- End quote ---
that's a wood composite. a composite is just a polymer in a dissimilar non-polymer matrix. so glass fiber reinforced polymers like G10-11, GPO-x, PPx + gfx0, and other variants that use woven or other kinds of silicate matrices are polymers in the same way that plasticized wood or leather is a composite (most "leather" car seats are plasticized leather, which is just low quality leather impregnated with a polymer. the composites getting the most attention are things like carbon fiber, graphene based composites, etc. etc. but that's only because they use an elemental aligned bulk material to make something ridiculously strong in some ways and reinforce with really high energy processed polymers to make it ridiculously strong in all ways, but composites are actually seeping into every part of our life if you consider only the definition.

fun fact: a number of glass fiber reinforced polymers were approved for underhood use recently, and manufacturers have been using them to great success in very common, inexpensive cars. i pulled a bypass valve out of my car recently that was ppo + gf30 on the outside and pp + gf20 on the inside (turbos are subject to exhaust gas heat so a bypass valve is put under HUGE thermal stress. honda's new K series engines (which marketing dubs "earth dreams" or something equally stupid") uses ppx + gfx0 composite for their intake manifolds now (and my intake manifold has at least some kind of composite heat shield if it isn't fully composite, come to think of it...)

what was i talking about? oh right, wood. here's some cool stuff printed with a wood fiber reinforced PLA (the PLA is starch-based and pulped wood fiber is in there somewhere and mixed in.

http://www.thingiverse.com/Fused3D/collections/print-in-wood-with-laywoo-d3-pla-filament

it may be wood-based PLA, but for a PLA you do need to get starch from somewhere to form the polymer so i dunno

anyway one thing you do have to be careful of is that although a wood composite may not warp at room temp, molded in stressed (because it's made with an injection molding process afaik) could cause it to warp at temp.

--- End quote ---

After keycon, I'm not at all surprised by this response.

YoungMichael88:
Recently the beast gave me wood. I'll always remember my first. And I didn't even have to pay for it this time! (Giveaway winnings)

Thanks Beast!

The_Beast:

--- Quote from: YoungMichael88 on Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:22:07 ---Recently the beast gave me wood. I'll always remember my first. And I didn't even have to pay for it this time! (Giveaway winnings)
Show Image
Thanks Beast!

--- End quote ---

Man that tiger birch looks good.

Glad I made a case out of it!

goobus:

--- Quote from: The_Beast on Mon, 19 August 2013, 13:02:25 ---
--- Quote from: mkawa on Mon, 19 August 2013, 10:53:11 ---it would be too hard to keep it within the thickness specification due to changes in dimensions with humidity and temperature. it would basically just crack unless it was a wood composite (polymer with wood fibers dispersed)

--- End quote ---

If you can get larger sheets of stabilized wood, it would work. Stabilized wood is basically wood that has been put into a vacuum with a resin type material. The vacuum pulls the resin into the wood and turns it almost into plastic or it gains the properties of plastic (ie no movements due to humidity and temperature) but still looks like wood.

--- End quote ---

Just put some epoxy/fiberglass mixture on that wood baby

EDIT: you guys beat me to it :(

mkawa:
vacuum means it's a cast wood composite. pressure is an injected wood composite. the former would use a thermoset. the latter uses a thermoplastic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version