geekhack Community > Keyboards

G80-1000 Circuitboard fits in G80-3000 case?

(1/4) > >>

Bollwerk:
Hi@all.

I've found some old Keyboards with MX-Switches, but they're not from Cherry.
While one of them uses an own circuitboard, the other seems to have a Cherry G80-1000 circuit board.

Unlike the newer Versions of the G80-3000, this thing seems to have n-key rollover, which is awesome for gaming. It has the black linear-switches.

My Question:
The old case looks... um... just horrible. Extreme yellowed.
So my Idea was buying a black G80-3000 or G81-3000 and just switch the circuitboards.

What do you think?
I'd be glad to get some help. This forum looks very capable to me. :smile:

lowpoly:
Welcome to geekhack!

Who's the manufacturer? Are you sure it's not Cherry? Any more info? Pics of the case?

These will not fit a modern 3000 case. Even older and newer 3000s are not interchangeable. That's because of the three cylinders used to center the switch pcb.

The 3000 case is big so with some changes it might work.

The wiki contains links on de-yellowing.

That looks like the current leveling mechanism btw.

huha:
Looks like the old-style case. You might find some decent-looking older G80s or G81s on ebay to swap internals.

-huha

Bollwerk:
Thanks for the answers. Hm. As mentioned, it doesn't really look like it'll fit properly.

I've added some pictures of the identification plates and in one of the pictures you can see the huge differences between the yellowing.
The white areas on the AEG-one should be the original color. It had some stickers for Lotus-aplications.
The Keypad is pretty new. The other ones are very old, but the casing of the upper one ist in better condition. It features the "click" but i can't see the color and the caps won't loose.

The AEG-case isn't really well crafted though. The cable outlet and its overall stability is somewhat awkward.

I even thought of building a case myself out of steelplates or something like that, to make a real sturdy one for LAN-Parties or so.^^
If I only had the damn tools for this. T.T

Maybe I leave it as it is. My G80-8308 has been called "Amiga" on a LAN xD
Definetly more outstanding than all this rubberdome-crap being called "gamergrade" with thousand lights on it.^^

EDIT: I'm sorry for the bad photoquality. They've been made with a mobile phone.

huha:
I can take some photos of an old-style G80-3000; I suspect the holes will fit and finding a decent old-style G80-3000 on ebay shouldn't be that much of a problem.
As far as I'm concerned, even G81s should work (at least the new cases are compatible, so it's logical to assume the old ones to also be compatible).

I can take some pictures and measurements later.
As for yellowing, there's always the option to apply paint to the case if all else fails.

-huha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version