Author Topic: [A.M.K.] All Metal KeyCap! A weapon of keyboard mass destruction.  (Read 5513 times)

Offline greedseed

Hi everyone, my name is Pieter. I am a maker, self tought CNC machinist and a newly formed mechanical keyboard enthusiast.
In a recent move, some of my keycaps were destroyed, and I started thinking as to what I could do to prevent this from ever happening.

Since then, I’ve spent a lot of time prototyping and designing an all metal keycap.

After many attempts, redesigns, sleepless nights and more coffee than I’m willing to admit to,
the All Metal Keycap was born.

The caps are designed to fit all cherry style switches, and have my own take on the OEM profile.
SA and DSA caps are in the works as I type this. The caps are available in aluminium (raw or anodised),
copper and brass, with a variety of customisation options.

If you’re interested, check out the Kickstarter that I’m holding:
Kickstarter

I really appreciate all the support I can get and if you’re not interested, it would be great if you could share it to someone who is.
Any feedback is also greatly apriciated! Hope you guys enjoy the finished product just as much as i enjoyed making it!

-Pieter

UPDATE!

We nuw support all 4 Rows of "Cherry profile" and "OEM Profile" More is to come!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 July 2017, 13:47:53 by greedseed »

Offline Tiramisuu

Re: [A.M.K.] All Metal KeyCap! A weapon of keyboard mass destruction.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 17:38:09 »
The only problem with these is I want a full set.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline greedseed

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 01:07:35 »
Had a few guys suggest a full AMK keyboard  :p

But no one has hard the crazy to actually go for it!

Offline Gouty

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 10:06:55 »
Oooh, copper keycaps.  Which finish do you think would be best to develop a patina?

Offline TennisShoeNinja

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 11:01:16 »
that case is very nice!

Offline _65535_

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 18:32:14 »
How heavy are they? Would they be too heavy to use on gat clears? Just curious.
I'm a Korean guy living in the U.S. I can't proxy things, but I can translate Korean to English or vice versa :)

미국 유학생입니다. 번역이 필요하시다면 맡겨주세욥!

Using: Leopold FC980C, Massdrop x OLKB Planck (78g Zealios + Zealencios), Infinity Ergodox (w/ palm rest, Alps Orange), Geek PPS keycaps

Offline greedseed

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 03:09:19 »
that case is very nice!

Thanks! Here is the first prototype anodized. Making more this weekend!
(sorry for link, phone is a ***** for uploading pictures)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWdX63nFm6I/

How heavy are they? Would they be too heavy to use on gat clears? Just curious.

It depends a little. The keys in the pictures are OEM row 3 and are a proof of concept. The aluminum is 3gram and copper/brass are 7.5 gram per key.

I got all 4 rows of cherry worked out and will make them this weekend. And I will way them in, but will be a bit lighter with the lower size.

Oooh, copper keycaps.  Which finish do you think would be best to develop a patina?

To be fair, i don't know  :)) i don't patina myself, as this takes away even more time of the little amount that i got left! I do give the option to everyone to get a uncoated version of there brass/copper AMK. So they can patina them totally in your own preferred style if you want. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 July 2017, 03:15:42 by greedseed »

Offline keynoob

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 12:54:37 »
FULL SET NEEDED!!

In reality, if i back for copper on kickstarter, how much "customization' could be done? I'm looking for a dark copper...

Offline greedseed

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 13:44:45 »
FULL SET NEEDED!!

In reality, if i back for copper on kickstarter, how much "customization' could be done? I'm looking for a dark copper...

Basicly, you select the profile (OEM, Cherry, and more in the near future) you pick the finish (Polished, flat top or textured top) \
And then i send it to you coated or uncoated. So you can chose to patina it or not.

Oh yeah, we support full Cherry and OEM now :P

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 July 2017, 13:47:11 by greedseed »