Author Topic: [GB] GMK Matcha Mocha | GB indefinitely delayed  (Read 16073 times)

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
[GB] GMK Matcha Mocha | GB indefinitely delayed
« on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 01:02:49 »
GMK Matcha Mocha:
a semi-minimalistic take on what could arguably be one of the most delicious and energizing desserts known to human mankind

Now in GroupBuy - from January the 19th to February the 28th!

Kitting:

The Dessert (Base Kit)

The Weeb Add-On (Hiragana Sublegends)

The Toppings (Extensions)

RAMA Artisan

Render:

AKI-S by Senryo

TGR-Jane v2 by Yuktsi

TGR-Alice by Yuktsi

For the colours this set will be using Signature Plastics stock colour TGH and Pantones 7487C:

Please note that although this picture was taken with a professional camera and colour corrected with a grey card afterwards, depending on the lightning, especially the green sometimes looks a tiny little bit darker/creamier IRL.

Vendors:

UK: ProtoTypist
NA: Kono
EU: MyKeyboard
Oceanic: DailyClack
Asia: iLumkb
CA: Ashkeebs
China: zFrontier
International: RAMA WORKS (just as an additional proxy for the Rama-Artisan)

Pricing:

This set is currently expected to start shipping out in Q4 of 2021.

Collaborations:

Keyforge (Artisan)
Artkey (Artisan)

Sodie Caps (Artisan)
Bad Habit Caps (Artisan)

For faster updates, looks behind the scenes, and possible peaks at future projects - or even if you just want a more convenient way to chat - feel free to join my Discord-Server, using the following link:
https://discord.gg/EtjGpWTpb7

Also feel free to check out my Instagram-Account in case you are interested:
https://www.instagram.com/akihabaramechs/

IC-Form:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107782.0

Please consider using this signature in order to support this set, it'd mean a lot to me!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107782.0][img width=90 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/nCs3Ihe.png[/img][/url][/font]
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2021, 01:51:57 by fabijolo »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] GMK Matcha Mocha | Jan 19th - Feb 28th
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 08:18:46 »
Approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 08:21:58 »
$155

Jesus
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 11:28:31 »
Yikes, where does that pricing come from?

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 12:27:37 »
I am all for unique colors, and was thinking about getting this set, but can't justify $155. I will go for just the Rama cap.

Offline bubbletea

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 14:10:49 »
Isn't that a bit expensive.

Offline firewrath9

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 14:11:10 »
money printer go brrrrrrr

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 00:05:44 »
Hey guys, please let me start of by saying that I completely get all of what you are saying, and fully agree with it.
We are currently in talks with some of the vendors, about a possible price reduction, but there is nothing set into stone atm, so please don't get your hopes up just yet.
I'll update you as soon as I got some more news :thumb:

For those new to the hobby, wondering about the relatively high prices:
Hi, the pricing is set at a MOQ of 250.
The reason why the cost is relatively high, compared to some other sets nowadays, is because both of the colours have yet to be matched by GMK, which increases the work on their site and due to that, also raises the price up quite a bit.
I hope I could somehow help you out, please feel free to let me know if you got any more questions :thumb:
Just wondering, what is the MOQ? For a set with 2 colors and a smaller base kit than GMK Storm (with 7 custom colors), why is the pricing the same?
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2021, 00:59:07 by fabijolo »

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 02:30:00 »
We just went live on MyKeyboard for the EU Region, go check it out over at:
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/group-buys/gmk-matcha-mocha_397/
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2021, 02:57:24 by fabijolo »

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 02:50:50 »
On a, a bit more positive note, we got some great news:

zFrontier just got added as an additional, specific Vendor for the Chinese-Region, and we actually just went live over there:

https://www.zfrontier.com/app/mch/1jmzJ4OymggB

Matcha Mocha just went live for the UK-Region over at ProtoTypist, with some updated (reduced) pricing + the first three orders will get their shipping refunded:

Base: £120,00
Extensions: £35,00
Hiragana: £64,00
Rama: £35,00

https://prototypist.net/collections/gmk-matcha-mocha
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2021, 03:11:54 by fabijolo »

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 10:55:41 »
The set just went live, over on iLumkb, for the general Asian-Region:
https://ilumkb.com/products/gb-gmk-matcha-mocha

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 13:53:01 »
After some more talks about the pricing, we were actually able to reduce it a little bit.
I just updated the OP with the new prices.

Matcha Mocha also just went live for both, the US (Kono) and CA (Ashkeebs) region:

Kono:
https://kono.store/products/gmk-matcha-mocha

Ashkeebs:
https://www.ashkeebs.com/product/gmk-matcha-mocha/

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 23:43:54 »
Matcha Mocha is now live on DailyClack, for the Oceanic-Region:
https://dailyclack.com/products/gmk-matcha-mocha

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 04:05:59 »
The RAMA X GMK Matcha Mocha Artisan is now also live, on RAMA WORKS, as an additional proxy!
Check it out via the link below:
https://ramaworks.store/products/rw-x-gmk-matcha-mocha

Offline ttot

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 09:44:09 »
Great! I'm in! Good luck with GB.
RAMA M60-A(LAKE) | RAMA KOYU(HAZE) | RAMA M60-A SEQ2(MILK) | RAMA M6-C(MILK) | RAMA M65-B(ICED) | RAMA M6-C(ICED)
SA Pulse(R3) + Mitolet | GMK Jamón | GMK Calm Depths | GMK Chocolatier | GMK Minimal | GMK Striker | GMK Pulse(Mitolet) | GMK Phosphorous | GMK Peach Blossom | GMK Nautilus 2 | GMK Bleached | GMK Pono | GMK Pixel | GMK Metropolis R2 | GMK DUALSHOT 2 | SA Polyclear

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 13:36:14 »
What's up with Rama not having their caps on Kono? I've noticed this for a few different keysets.

Offline Paputcher

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 15:18:48 »
What's up with Rama not having their caps on Kono? I've noticed this for a few different keysets.
Rama are no longer working with Kono(

Offline shortdog6

• Casper Keys
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 19:46:49 »
Ooof, that price for two colors...

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 00:21:14 »

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 06:51:38 »
Huge thanks to Mr Dvorcol for always doing these amazing graphs. :thumb:
Your contribution to the community really is invaluable, and to often almost taken for granted!
Again, thanks a lot for the graph, you definitely deserve more credit!
Show Image

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 12:42:43 »
Huge thanks to Mr Dvorcol for always doing these amazing graphs. :thumb:
Your contribution to the community really is invaluable, and to often almost taken for granted!
Again, thanks a lot for the graph, you definitely deserve more credit!
Show Image

Thanks, I really enjoy graphing!

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 00:06:35 »
Hello everyone,
Today, I woke up to some deeply disturbing news:

Because of its current extremely low sale numbers, the Vendors have decided, that it would be the best for us to cancel the GB.
That's why, starting from now on, every amazing one of you guys, who actually ordered a set, will be receiving a full refund from their respective Vendor.
As of right now, I would like to mark GMK Matcha Mochas GB as simply "indefinitely delayed", since I'm definitely planning on bringing this set back one day, once I'm in a better financial situation myself, aswell as more people show interest in the set.
Although I'm absolutely devastated right now, seeing this dream of mine, that has now been worked on for a little bit over a year, crash, after only a few days into the GB (this hurts even more, when looking at a lot of other, newer, relatively relevant sets in the community, that are currently just being completely rushed, without much work put into it), I fully understand their decisions, especially with a lot of strong competing sets coming up next month, and am still incredibly thankful to every single one of them for even giving me this chance in the first place.

That being said, I will probably be taking a short break from the community, for a least couple of days, but will definitely return fully fueled, and read to start working on some of my other projects again.
Again, huge thanks to everyone who was a part of this ride :)

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 00:46:48 »
Hello everyone,

Because of its current extremely low sale numbers, the Vendors have decided, that it would be the best for us to cancel the GB.
That's why, starting from now on, every amazing one of you guys, who actually ordered a set, will be receiving a full refund from their respective Vendor.
As of right now, I would like to mark GMK Matcha Mochas GB as simply "indefinitely delayed", since I'm definitely planning on bringing this set back one day, once I'm in a better financial situation myself, aswell as more people show interest in the set.
Although I'm absolutely devastated right now, seeing this dream of mine, that has now been worked on for a little bit over a year, crash, after only a few days into the GB (this hurts even more, when looking at a lot of other, newer, relatively relevant sets in the community, that are currently just being completely rushed, without much work put into it), I fully understand their decisions, especially with a lot of strong competing sets coming up next month, and am still incredibly thankful to every single one of them for even giving me this chance in the first place.

That being said, I will probably be taking a short break from the community, for a least couple of days, but will definitely return fully fueled, and read to start working on some of my other projects again.

I'm sorry to hear this man, I think the set looks super cool and I'm bummed out it's not going to run now. If you do decide to do this, will you be updating this existing thread in the future?
ID80, Rama M65-A, Black Inks V2

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 04:24:58 »
Sad to hear this happen

Although to be fair, there were a few people that mentioned in the IC thread that another shade of brown would have helped the set.

I hope this can be a good lesson for all of us to be aware of IC feedback, even if it's sometimes harsh or not what we want to hear.

I did notice you have another set in IC. Perhaps that could be a good place to use that feedback.

GL with future projects!

Offline ttot

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 14:56:37 »
Eh, it's sad to hear that it all ended before it started properly. Hopefully the new GB will launch in the near future.
RAMA M60-A(LAKE) | RAMA KOYU(HAZE) | RAMA M60-A SEQ2(MILK) | RAMA M6-C(MILK) | RAMA M65-B(ICED) | RAMA M6-C(ICED)
SA Pulse(R3) + Mitolet | GMK Jamón | GMK Calm Depths | GMK Chocolatier | GMK Minimal | GMK Striker | GMK Pulse(Mitolet) | GMK Phosphorous | GMK Peach Blossom | GMK Nautilus 2 | GMK Bleached | GMK Pono | GMK Pixel | GMK Metropolis R2 | GMK DUALSHOT 2 | SA Polyclear

Offline moss+oak

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 13:15:36 »
Really saddening to see a personal project fail, it must feels terrible. But why are you shading other sets for not having "much work put into it"...especially when this set does not have a novelties set, nor any deskmats, elements that are almost a given in any successful keyset gb nowdays.

A couple of observations/suggestions from a consumer standpoint:
1. listen to feedback and make changes
- I read your replies to feedback in ur other IC. It seems like you're again not considering altering the colours because you wanted to stay true to your inspiration. Having an idea you want to stick with is fine, but not catering your ideas to your consumers and wanting your GB to succeed seems unintuitive. If you can't find a happy medium between your design vision and consumer feedback, maybe running a GB is not for you.

2. understand your market
- what kind of audience are you hoping to attract with your set? is there a particular colour case that your set goes especially well with, more so than other sets? would you want to pay this price for just a 2 toned set? its really not about people not understanding MOQ and GB process. consumers just want to pay a fair price for a product compared to similar products on the market.

3. think about novelties/deskmats
- these 2 things really help bring a whole set together and complete the vision.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 14:24:41 »

Although I'm absolutely devastated right now, seeing this dream of mine, that has now been worked on for a little bit over a year, crash, after only a few days into the GB (this hurts even more, when looking at a lot of other, newer, relatively relevant sets in the community, that are currently just being completely rushed, without much work put into it)

I am sorry that your set didn't meet the expectations you had.
But I don't really understand why you would undermine other sets/creators.

Personally when I look at this set I have a hard time understanding how this could be over a year of work.
From an exterior's perspective it just looks like picking 2 colors. When I see most sets coming with 3+ colors, light/dark variations, novelties packed with different designs, several deskmats etc

But I wish you good luck on your future projects  :thumb:

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 00:56:59 »
Yes, I will definitely be updating this and/or the OG IC-Thread in the future, once I start working on this project again, but it most likely, unfortunately, won't be anytime soon.
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to hear this man, I think the set looks super cool and I'm bummed out it's not going to run now. If you do decide to do this, will you be updating this existing thread in the future?

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 01:43:28 »
First of all, thank you very much for your in-depth message :thumb:

To your first point:
The feedback for Matcha Mocha, in regards to the colours, was actually on the majority positive + the colours were set in to place/not subject to change, right from the start, since this wasn't a set with colours based on a theme, but rather a theme based on the colours.
Every other feedback, regarding kits, inconsistencies etc. was taken into account, which you'll be able to see, when reading through multiple of the updates in the IC-Thread.

I'm always considering feedback, as long as it's constructive.
The only reason why I haven't responded to a lot of the feedback for GMK The Child, is because I was focusing primarily on Matcha Mocha at that time.
And while I haven't been updated its IC in a while, there has actually already been a lot of talk behind the scenes, about various aspects.
Also, as a little heads up, there currently already is a comparison render in the works, which will show of darker legends for more/easier visibility, which, once it's done, will be used, for the people to decide on, which option they'll actually prefer.

About the lack of Deskmats/Novelties:
We actually had a Deskmat done at a point, but, even though most people who saw it really loved it, I decided not to run it, since, imo, it didn't fit the whole vibe for the set, which I was going for, anymore.
For the same reason, I also purposely didn't want to offer any novelties with it, because I wanted this set to be very clean and minimalist at its very core.
(I believe sets like this, or with a similar type of vibe, like GMK Sandstorm for example, don't need, or in a way, would actually be worse, with novelties.)

About the pricing:
I fully agree; please check the previous messages.

Lastly, I just wanted to clear things up, because my messages definitely want meant mean-spiritedness in any way, and I really don't want people to thank bad of me, since I try my best to be a positive force, as much as possible, but it is a clear fact, that the market is currently being overfloded by a lot of clearly lackluster ICs without much though/research put into it, which, and I originally didn't want to name drop any sets, with GMK Storm for example, sometimes somehow even manage to go into GB.

Again thank you for your thoughtful message, and already sorry for the long response... I hope I could somehow clear things up a little bit, please let me know if there are still any open questions/criticism.

Really saddening to see a personal project fail, it must feels terrible. But why are you shading other sets for not having "much work put into it"...especially when this set does not have a novelties set, nor any deskmats, elements that are almost a given in any successful keyset gb nowdays.

A couple of observations/suggestions from a consumer standpoint:
1. listen to feedback and make changes
- I read your replies to feedback in ur other IC. It seems like you're again not considering altering the colours because you wanted to stay true to your inspiration. Having an idea you want to stick with is fine, but not catering your ideas to your consumers and wanting your GB to succeed seems unintuitive. If you can't find a happy medium between your design vision and consumer feedback, maybe running a GB is not for you.

2. understand your market
- what kind of audience are you hoping to attract with your set? is there a particular colour case that your set goes especially well with, more so than other sets? would you want to pay this price for just a 2 toned set? its really not about people not understanding MOQ and GB process. consumers just want to pay a fair price for a product compared to similar products on the market.

3. think about novelties/deskmats
- these 2 things really help bring a whole set together and complete the vision.

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 01:45:46 »
On a more positive note for all of you guys, the Artisan sale for the BadHabbitCaps collab, will actually still go live, during the next few days.
I'll update you, once I've got some more news to share abt it :thumb:

Offline washwashtree

Re: [GB] GMK Matcha Mocha | GB indefinitely delayed
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 10:35:24 »
NGL this set and your other set do not have seem to have a lot of positive interest. I'm shocked this one made it to GB, the only one commenting on the IC page was you to push out updates on it. You might want to reconsider running Brown and Green sets, the colors don't really work on keycaps and I'm not too sure if there is enough people out there willing to pay money for these sets. Even if you lowered the price to $120 I don't think enough people would have wanted to buy Matcha Mocha. The fact you keep trying to **** on rushed sets shows that you are trying to place the blame on other factors when that's really not the case. Best of luck on your future endeavors

- washwashtree

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 11:23:22 »
NGL this set and your other set do not have seem to have a lot of positive interest. I'm shocked this one made it to GB, the only one commenting on the IC page was you to push out updates on it. You might want to reconsider running Brown and Green sets, the colors don't really work on keycaps and I'm not too sure if there is enough people out there willing to pay money for these sets. Even if you lowered the price to $120 I don't think enough people would have wanted to buy Matcha Mocha. The fact you keep trying to **** on rushed sets shows that you are trying to place the blame on other factors when that's really not the case. Best of luck on your future endeavors

- washwashtree

Agreed

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 15:33:09 »
I don't mean to pile on when it seems others have already made this point, but reading your response/reaction to the cancellation of your GB is... not a good take

Although I'm absolutely devastated right now, seeing this dream of mine, that has now been worked on for a little bit over a year, crash, after only a few days into the GB (this hurts even more, when looking at a lot of other, newer, relatively relevant sets in the community, that are currently just being completely rushed, without much work put into it),

There's a few things to break down here -

1a. "This dream of mine" - while I understand that this set in particular is something that you were and probably still are passionate about, for a group buy to work out there has to be a pretty significant group of interested individuals. While this set is (in my opinion) honestly kind of nice looking, I can also understand why it wouldn't have broad appeal and why interest might not be high enough for a successful meeting of MOQ.

1b. Building off the fact that is doesn't particularly have a broad appeal, this is something you need to learn to recognize as a designer from the start, and if you recognize this, it is something that can be changed without destroying your personal vision. At the end of the day you are marketing a product that needs to appeal to more people than just yourself or a handful of people, and if making changes that might not make you as happy personally is what's needed to bring the idea to life, even if it's not exactly what you hope for, that might be a necessary sacrifice.

2. "That has now been worked on for a little bit over a year" - Again, I am not trying to be mean here. But I don't know why this would take you a year to create unless you were working on it very passively in the background while life was busy. On top of this, the time it takes to create a set has little to no relevance to the quality of the set, otherwise you would not be in this situation. There's not any one reason a set succeeds or fails, but in this case I can assure you it had very little to do with the time invested.

3. "Looking at a lot of other, newer, relatively relevant sets in the community, that are currently just being completely rushed, without much work put into it" - There's a lot to unpack here. Firstly, it doesn't matter if a set is rushed if it has broader appeal and a better design than another. It will sell more if more people like it, regardless of the time put in. Are there sets that are absolutely rushed and low quality and sell more than they probably should because they contain buzzwords and hot topics and memes? Sure! Does that have anything to do with what happened here? Not at all. I would also be interested to know what sets in particular you feel are rushed, so we could break down for you what they did well and explain how you could follow similar patterns to have a better chance at success.

The attitude behind you saying this is disheartening because I feel like you are letting yourself feel defeated by external factors rather than realizing that your set didn't come to fruition because of choices you made (or didn't make) in your year long journey of creating. It's extremely easy to place the blame on others and outside projects, the hard thing to do is to sit down and realize that you are responsible for your own success at the end of the day. Some people get lucky, but most are successful through hard work, lots of research, long hours, and lots of passion.

It's incredibly unfair to say other sets are rushed yet successful while yours was unsuccessful for completely different reasons. You wouldn't like it if someone said that about your work, so you probably shouldn't say it about others especially as a blanket statement. In the future, I hope you take more time to do the following so your projects will have a better chance at success:

- Consider your audience and tailor your concepts to them (This does NOT mean you have to abandon your personal ideas and preferences - it means making compromises where you can to bring in more interest from a broader range of people)
- Have thick skin when facing criticism. It's hard to hear negative feedback or even neutral feedback, but you have to learn to take it on the chin and consider it from their perspective.
- Promote your set! I had barely even heard of this set until I heard that it was cancelled. Post on social media, share it on discord servers, release promotional renders, do teasers, progress updates, something more. If nobody has heard of your work, nobody will be interested. While your vendors will do their best to help with marketing, this only helps once you reach Group Buy stage which is way too late to be gathering interest for your project. People need time to decide they're interested and start saving up when your projects require so much capital on their end.
- Be professional - this means not taking others down with you when you get knocked down. Chin up, brush off the dust, and get back to the drawing board, fix up your idea, take feedback to heart, and make something that people will love (not just you and not just 20 people), market it well, and blast the group buy out of the water. Don't place blame on someone else or give up because "luck" wasn't on your side this time.

I don't even know if you plan on reading this, if you still plan to update this set, or any of that. But if you do, I hope some of this advice helps you in some way and that you take what everyone here has said to heart. Nobody wants you to fail, but if you stick with the attitude you had there, you'll be doomed to it.

Best of luck. Feel free to reach out if you ever need some one on one help with anything.

edited for typo :c
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 January 2021, 15:48:44 by Lizcuits »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 15:39:58 »
I don't mean to pile on when it seems others have already made this point, but reading your response/reaction to the cancellation of your GB is... not a good take

Although I'm absolutely devastated right now, seeing this dream of mine, that has now been worked on for a little bit over a year, crash, after only a few days into the GB (this hurts even more, when looking at a lot of other, newer, relatively relevant sets in the community, that are currently just being completely rushed, without much work put into it),

1a. "This dream of mine" - while I understand that this set in particular is something that you were and probably still are passionate about, for a group buy to work out there has to be a pretty significant group of interested individuals. While this set is (in my opinion) honestly kind of nice looking, I can also understand why it wouldn't have broad appeal and why interest might not be high enough for a successful meeting of MOQ.

1b. Building off the fact that is doesn't particularly have a broad appeal, this is something you need to learn to recognize as a designer from the start, and if you recognize this, it is something that can be changed without destroying your personal vision. At the end of the day you are marketing a product that needs to appeal to more people than just yourself or a handful of people, and if making changes that might not make you as happy personally is what's needed to bring the idea to life even if it's not exactly what you hopes for, that might be a necessary sacrifice.

2. "That has now been worked on for a little bit over a year" - Again, I am not trying to be mean here. But I don't know why this would take you a year to create unless you were working on it very passively in the background while life was busy. On top of this, the time it takes to create a set has little to no relevance to the quality of the set, otherwise you would not be in this situation. There's not any one reason a set succeeds or fails, but in this case I can assure you it had very little to do with the time invested.

3. "Looking at a lot of other, newer, relatively relevant sets in the community, that are currently just being completely rushed, without much work put into it" - There's a lot to unpack here. Firstly, it doesn't matter if a set is rushed if it has broader appeal and a better design than another. It will sell more if more people like it, regardless of the time put in. Are there sets that are absolutely rushed and low quality and sell more than they probably should because they contain buzzwords and hot topics and memes? Sure! Does that have anything to do with what happened here? Not at all. I would also be interested to know what sets in particular you feel are rushed, so we could break down for you what they did well and explain how you could follow similar patterns to have a better chance at success.

The attitude behind you saying this is disheartening because I feel like you are letting yourself feel defeated by external factors rather than realizing that your set didn't come to fruition because of choices you made (or didn't make) in your year long journey of creating. It's extremely easy to place the blame on others and outside projects, the hard thing to do is to sit down and realize that you are responsible for your own success at the end of the day. Some people get lucky, but most are successful through hard work, lots of research, long hours, and lots of passion.

It's incredibly unfair to say other sets are rushed yet successful while yours was unsuccessful for completely different reasons. You wouldn't like it if someone said that about your work, so you probably shouldn't say it about others especially as a blanket statement. In the future, I hope you take more time to do the following so your projects will have a better chance at success:

- Consider your audience and tailor your concepts to them (This does NOT mean you have to abandon your personal ideas and preferences - it means making compromises where you can to bring in more interest from a broader range of people)
- Have thick skin when facing criticism. It's hard to hear negative feedback or even neutral feedback, but you have to learn to take it on the chin and consider it from their perspective.
- Promote your set! I had barely even heard of this set until I heard that it was cancelled. Post on social media, share it on discord servers, release promotional renders, do teasers, progress updates, something more. If nobody has heard of your work, nobody will be interested. While your vendors will do their best to help with marketing, this only helps once you reach Group Buy stage which is way too late to be gathering interest for your project. People need time to decide they're interested and start saving up when your projects require so much capital on their end.
- Be professional - this means not taking others down with you when you get knocked down. Chin up, brush off the dust, and get back to the drawing board, fix up your idea, take feedback to heart, and make something that people will love (not just you and not just 20 people), market it well, and blast the group buy out of the water. Don't place blame on someone else or give up because "luck" wasn't on your side this time.

I don't even know if you plan on reading this, if you still plan to update this set, or any of that. But if you do, I hope some of this advice helps you in some way and that you take what everyone here has said to heart. Nobody wants you to fail, but if you stick with the attitude you had there, you'll be doomed to it.

Best of luck. Feel free to reach out if you ever need some one on one help with anything.
Couldn't have said it better myself especially the blame part on other sets.

Offline fabijolo

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 23:49:03 »
Hey, thank you so much for your message, I really appreciate the time you put into it.
I read through it, and honestly must say, that I agree with pretty much most of the points you made.
I now realize that I shouldn't have written the original message, right when I got the news/was at a very emotional point, and also agree that my behaviour was very unprofessional.
Although I really didn't mean to hurt anyone, I'm deeply sorry to anyone that might have been offended my my remarkes.

PS. I won't be actively working on this set for probably a couple of weeks, but, as previously stated, definitely plan to bring this back, at some point in the (not very near) future. :thumb:

1b. Building off the fact that is doesn't particularly have a broad appeal, this is something you need to learn to recognize as a designer from the start, and if you recognize this, it is something that can be changed without destroying your personal vision. At the end of the day you are marketing a product that needs to appeal to more people than just yourself or a handful of people, and if making changes that might not make you as happy personally is what's needed to bring the idea to life, even if it's not exactly what you hope for, that might be a necessary sacrifice.

edited for typo :c