Author Topic: [GB] CYGNUS – See below.  (Read 28363 times)

Offline PheonixStarr

[GB] CYGNUS – See below.
« on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 04:34:54 »

Interest Check
Discord Server
Instagram
Keylace Co.

For the time being, I've closed the buy in response to all the drama surrounding it. I'll have a proper public statement soon, this is just preemptive damage control.
Cygnus is canceled; all orders will be properly refunded in full. Stay posted for more information.

Previously...

More

/) hi geekhack

I'll spare the fluff for this GB post. Full image album here.

Gasket, seamless, TKL without the f-row, and sports an RGB LED indicator.

Aluminum case. Brass weight, sandblasted.

Tsangan WKL unibody upper assembly is available in addition to the standard WK. Please note that production units will have a much lighter shade of green closer to mint green (Pantone 351 C). Incidentally, this render also shows an older variant that does not use a daughterboard.

Multiple plate options available, though it will ship BY DEFAULT with one brass plate

A typing test, as requested! Features SA/T1s on brass & GMK/Creams on POM.

Yikes, there was noise and people disliked it. I'll do a better one later this week.

SPECIFICATIONS

Aluminum 6063-T6 upper & lower assembly + beadblasted & anodized or electrophoretic coating finish
      Flex-cut plate suspended in a full isolation mount, supported by custom-cut shock absorbent PORON strips.
             CYGNUS ships with a brass plate by default. Additional plates are available (see below)
      Customizable RGB LED indicator, tied to caps lock by default. User can change the color.
             The LED is not soldered on out of the box, since it is a long light-pipe design; however, it is quite easy to do so yourself.
      Custom "Arcturus" QMK PCB; ARM STM32 chip, ESD & overcurrent protection, and the HERA-C daughterboard.
      Two adhesive-backed silicone rubber feet, custom-cut
      5.5° typing angle

SALES

Available exclusively on Keylace Co.

Starts at $400 before add-ons and shipping. Minimum 50, unlimited order quantity. Ignore what I said about 200 as a tentative limit (I gathered some help to package and distribute since then). Additional plates are available for $40: brass, aluminum (anodized black), carbon fiber; POM available for $30.

TIMELINE

This group-buy is running from December 8th, 2019, from 10:00:00 AM PST to January 7th, 2020, closing at 10:00:00 PM PST. This is the deadline to withdraw your orders and receive a full refund. Within 24 hours, the money gathered will be submitted to Cormorant and we will enter the Production phase. This is expected to last until the end of March, and possibly go into April (this is due to the possibly high volume & the Lunar New Year's holiday). Distribution will commence after the products arrive from the factory and are confirmed to be excellent quality. It is expected to take no longer than 21 days to fulfill all orders. Arrival on your doorstep is expected Summer 2020; either late May or early June, barring delays.

OPTIONS

UPPER ASSY.

WK
      WKL

COLORS
Note: You are in fact allowed to mix & match assembly colors!

Nightingale Blue
      Titanium Gray
      Rose Gold
      Cygnus Teal
      Pristine White (E-Coat)
      Jet Black (E-Coat)

The blue chip here is more muted in real life. Reference Pantone 533 C.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?

Upper Assembly
      Lower Assembly
      Brass Plate
          Extra Plate I, if ordered
          Extra Plate II, if ordered
      "Arcturus" PCB
          Extra PCB I, if ordered
          Extra PCB II, if ordered
      HERA-C Daughterboard
          JST-SR 4-pin 1mm-pitch daughterboard cable
      8Χ PORON gasket strips
      6Χ M3x12mm case screws
      6Χ M2x5mm weight screws
      2Χ M2x3mm daughterboard screws
      2Χ Custom silicone rubber feet, adhesive-backed
      Stickers
      Some goodies

No tools. You should have your own by now. All screws are metric hex.

See you on the flip side :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2019, 19:42:13 by PheonixStarr »

Offline PheonixStarr

Re: [GB] CYGNUS – the Gasket FTKL
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 15:12:03 »
Reserved for updates...

Offline consumer

Re: [GB] CYGNUS – the Gasket FTKL | Opens Sunday Morning
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 16:17:56 »
So glad ISO is supported. Does the PCB run QMK?

Offline gamerman

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 17:23:01 »
will we get a typing test on the protos soon? or do the protos not have the gaskets and all the bells n' whistles?

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 21:07:23 »
will we get a typing test on the protos soon? or do the protos not have the gaskets and all the bells n' whistles?

They do! I'll do a typing test shortly.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 00:34:23 »

They do! I'll do a typing test shortly.

Ooooo

Offline vi0till

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 01:08:26 »
I wanted to know as well, cause the original Cygnus run QMK, before the daughterboard.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 04:31:16 »
I wanted to know as well, cause the original Cygnus run QMK, before the daughterboard.

It does indeed run QMK!

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 06:06:37 »
finally  :cool:

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
Re: [GB] CYGNUS – [GB LIVE]
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 12:04:05 »
I'm in  :D

stoked and can't wait to get that beautiful piece!

Offline breckstar

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 16:12:46 »
Oof, no PayPal.

Offline Quinella

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 23:34:13 »
hey theres something wrong with ur cygnus sound test video, it sounds really sht and idk how to fix the issue.

Offline geistmate

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 23:35:15 »
If you can promise that the teal will actually turn out the shade in the render, I'm seriously considering picking this up instantly.. That's such a great color!!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 06:34:32 »
$67 for shipping to Norway, what? I pay less for furniture shipping from Denmark directly to my doorstep. Well it doesn't really matter because no PayPal. :shrug:
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2019, 06:37:32 by noorejji »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 09:44:33 »
$67 for shipping to Norway, what? I pay less for furniture shipping from Denmark directly to my doorstep. Well it doesn't really matter because no PayPal. :shrug:
$67 isn't much for international shipping of such a heavy item. it's a pretty common price for boards like this. it's aluminium and brass after all and therefore not light.

Offline gamerman

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 14:32:59 »

The mic makes everything sound rattle-y but looking past that the board sounds amazing! looking forward to it :-)

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 15:37:44 »
hey theres something wrong with ur cygnus sound test video, it sounds really sht and idk how to fix the issue.

lmao that sound test would hurt sales if anything
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline megaforce

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 16:16:27 »

absolutely savage
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline MyManMart

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 16:16:47 »

The mic makes everything sound rattle-y but looking past that the board sounds amazing! looking forward to it :-)

That is not a mic thing. The board is rattley and hollow. I would suggest you listening again.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 16:22:03 »

That is not a mic thing. The board is rattley and hollow. I would suggest you listening again.
it probably sounds like that because it has no pcb.
you could clearly see in the prototype shots that even on the pics with the switches on the boards, the pcb was still missing.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 16:25:17 »
Big Yikes on the sound test, I would be too embarrassed to post that.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 16:56:54 »
why would you type test with clicky switches and sa caps

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 17:12:54 »
If you guys don't have any input on the board, why don't you just message pheonixstarr directly about your concerns? I would have expected a little bit better from people who are well known in the community.

Offline MyManMart

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 17:46:17 »
If you guys don't have any input on the board, why don't you just message pheonixstarr directly about your concerns? I would have expected a little bit better from people who are well known in the community.

The sound of the board is directly caused by the design of the board and the first sound test comes out after the gb is live. I would want all concerns voiced in a visible place if I was a buyer. That way I can weigh pros and cons before sending someone a handful of money.

Offline belgium_waffles

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 17:47:10 »

have the same problem, ne fix avail?

also nice intro, kinda reminded me of another video i watched earlier
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2019, 17:52:33 by belgium_waffles »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 17:53:29 »

have the same problem, ne fix avail?

also nice intro, kinda reminded me of another video i watched earlier
kinda resembles the intros of ramas promo videos imho

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 18:01:18 »

Well known people aren't allowed to voice their opinions?
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 18:24:29 »

Did you read what I said? Or are you coming to troll as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 18:28:25 »

Did you read what I said? Or are you coming to troll as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone saying they don't like how the board sounds isn't input/feedback?  Clearly it was or the video wouldn't have been removed.

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 18:52:19 »

LOL you're right omg
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:01:31 »
There are a few things that draw people to high end keyboards:

1) Quality
2) Atypical Materials (compared to "gaming" keyboards with hollow plastic housings)
3) Sound

Cygnus seems to have 1&2 covered based on the photos and information provided both here and in the IC, but it failed catastrophically at 3 with the typing test that has since been removed. People are expressing these opinions because sound matters to them. People lube their switches and stabilizers because the sound matters to them. If it didn't we'd all still be using OEM boards and clacking away without a second thought.

None of this means the board will always sound bad, it's just that these particular build/config sounded bad. It's pretty confusing for some (and myself) as to why the GB runner wouldn't do everything possible make their board sound as good as possible. Posting those typing tests was just kinda counter-intuitive for someone trying to sell something.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:04:16 »

1) Quality
2) Atypical Materials (compared to "gaming" keyboards with hollow plastic housings)
3) Sound

Cygnus seems to have 1&2 covered based on the photos and information provided both here and in the IC, but it failed catastrophically at 3 with the typing test that has since been removed. People are expressing these opinions because sound matters to them. People lube their switches and stabilizers because the sound matters to them. If it didn't we'd all still be using OEM boards and clacking away without a second thought.

None of this means the board will always sound bad, it's just that these particular build/config sounded bad. It's pretty confusing for some (and myself) as to why the GB runner wouldn't do everything possible make their board sound as good as possible. Posting those typing tests was just kinda counter-intuitive for someone trying to sell something.

I agree. It makes no sense to post a noisy sound test. I messaged the runner privately to take it down because it was doing more harm than good. I believe she will post a better one once she has a proper setup.

Offline Quinella

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:08:14 »

my comment is clear input
why would u put a sht as fk sound test video in hopes of promoting 'your' board
dont need to pm pheonixstarr when the thread is there for that purpose

and as for pheonixstarr
At least do ur part and make effort since the other designers did all the work for you seeing as the cygnus is a 'stolen' design.
some advice for the sound test, maybe once you get ur paypal account or whatever to be unfrozen you can use the money to get a better mic.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:08:55 »

1) Quality
3) Sound

I agree. It makes no sense to post a noisy sound test. I messaged the runner privately to take it down because it was doing more harm than good. I believe she will post a better one once she has a proper setup.

Quietly remove any evidence of faults of a board, only allow input that is positive. What a great forum that'll be. :thumb:

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:10:55 »

1) Quality
3) Sound

Quietly remove any evidence of faults of a board, only allow input that is positive. What a great forum that'll be. :thumb:

Seems better than the olivia++ IC thread amirite?

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:14:29 »

and as for pheonixstarr
At least do ur part and make effort since the other designers did all the work for you seeing as the cygnus is a 'stolen' design.
some advice for the sound test, maybe once you get ur paypal account or whatever to be unfrozen you can use the money to get a better mic.

JUSTICE FOR BISO
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline trg1234

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:14:58 »

1) Quality
3) Sound

Seems better than the olivia++ IC thread amirite?

amazing red herring won't bite that one

Offline Midori

• Formerly loktrevor
  • c:
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:18:33 »

and as for pheonixstarr

this is what i live for

TGR Jane v2 | Vulcan Pro | Matrix 8X v2.0 | Bean | hbcp | froge | hype hen

Offline Quinella

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:24:00 »

and as for pheonixstarr

this is what i live for

giving ur life a more pleasant meaning hope you enjoy ur day  :)

Offline Midori

• Formerly loktrevor
  • c:
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:31:07 »

and as for pheonixstarr

this is what i live for

i appreciate it my friend, more days will be enjoyed if you keep laying down the roasts

TGR Jane v2 | Vulcan Pro | Matrix 8X v2.0 | Bean | hbcp | froge | hype hen

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 19:31:37 »

and as for pheonixstarr

this is what i live for

i appreciate it my friend, more days will be enjoyed if you keep laying down the roasts
Quinella is now my best friend
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline Quinella

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 20:44:25 »
remember all! if u missed out on the type test video make sure you visit keylace.co

also obligatory screenshot https://imgur.com/a/LCEPwO8

Offline duckboi

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 20:53:18 »
remember all! if u missed out on the type test video make sure you visit keylace.co

Quinella is my new best friend
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline gamerman

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 20:59:03 »

niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, officially better at stealing than sprit :thumb:
Still super confused what was possibly making the weird rattling noise in that, is the plate too loose and the switches are moving around because there isn't a pcb? or is there a hidden outemu blue that all the keys lead to?

Offline Quinella

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 21:00:52 »

Still super confused what was possibly making the weird rattling noise in that, is the plate too loose and the switches are moving around because there isn't a pcb? or is there a hidden outemu blue that all the keys lead to?

unfortunately i dont know who stole the domain but my hats off to the person who did it

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 21:36:13 »

Sounds like the springs, makes the T1's sound clickly. Reverb of SA doesn't help.
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 21:46:56 »

Holy crap THOSE were T1 on that board?
What have you done to my favorite switch babies?

Sound tests do play a huge part in many people's purchase decision.
Which seems rather fair for a $400 board.
Who's to say other switch-plate configs wouldn't sound just as bad as what we have now?
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2019, 21:54:11 by nguyenhimself »

Offline megaforce

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 21:59:58 »
imagine having 14k USD in limbo and then trying to run another GB that doesn't take paypal

:kekw:

#justice4biso
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 22:09:33 »

Who's to say other switch-plate configs wouldn't sound just as bad as what we have now?

There seems to be a lot of glazing over what I typed even though I've been quoted 4 or 5 different times now. Nowhere did I say if you had input about the board (sound included) should you not post anything. I said that IF you don't have any input, then message pheonix directly. Things that would fall under that category would be #justiceforbiso, things being awkward, stolen domains, etc, etc. What I'm trying to avoid is 4-5 people repeatedly posting in this thread to derail the GB instead of actually asking questions because they are interested in buying the board (which is part of the rules to the GB forum)

231463-0

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 22:31:23 »

There seems to be a lot of glazing over what I typed even though I've been quoted 4 or 5 different times now. Nowhere did I say if you had input about the board (sound included) should you not post anything. I said that IF you don't have any input, then message pheonix directly. Things that would fall under that category would be #justiceforbiso, things being awkward, stolen domains, etc, etc. What I'm trying to avoid is 4-5 people repeatedly posting in this thread to derail the GB instead of actually asking questions because they are interested in buying the board (which is part of the rules to the GB forum)

(Attachment Link)

See here's the problem:

People like you are blindly white knighting the OP when they very clearly have a bit of a shady history.  First time GB runner, unlimited GB, many blatant lies, money already frozen, questionable design choices, etc.  I personally feel like people should at least have some knowledge of the situation before blindly tossing their $4-500 away and ending up with another Tesletron2.0 situation.  This goes beyond just the "justiceforbiso" situation and if you want to sit here with blinders on, that's fine but I am not going to.