Author Topic: [IC] Epbt Dreamer  (Read 6439 times)

Offline vndytran

[IC] Epbt Dreamer
« on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:04:04 »
This playful set captures the vibrant colors that illustrate the concept "dreamer"

Kits

Deskmats + more coming soon

Renders

Collaborations
???

Vendors
???

Make sure to follow us on socials

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Epbt Dreamer
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:07:57 »
cute novelties but the colors feel a little uninspired to me, glwic

Offline dandruff

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:09:03 »
really cute set, I'm not sure how I feel about the icon mods, but overall the novelties are quite cute!
GLWIC

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:09:37 »
really cute set, I'm not sure how I feel about the icon mods, but overall the novelties are quite cute!
GLWIC

Oh I didn't notice at first, I agree, the icon mods are completely awful actually.

Offline vndytran

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:12:30 »
GLWIC

Oh I didn't notice at first, I agree, the icon mods are completely awful actually.

ha, understandable, putting out an IC to gather some info :)

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:16:34 »
you missed num lock

Offline kidpid

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:25:58 »
I actually like most of the icons, but the shift and caps lock icons feel off to me. Like they're a bit too small and there's too much open space on the keys.

It also looks like you're missing an R3 1.75u Ctrl key for the HHKB layout.

Please consider 40s support 🙏

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:28:09 »
GLWIC

sorry it was blunt, let me be more constructive.. the biggest issue with it is that it seems to lack consistency, there are lines and dots of significantly varying thickness - makes it look very sloppy and doesn't look like something that should be put on a product that will be selling at a mass scale. i'd revisit the size of your dots and thickness of your lines, and even that you have some sort of consistency in the spacing between them as well. signifiers 90% of those icons fail to somehow indicate their function (take a look at KAT milkshake for some really high-quality and abstract icons imo).

1. inconsistent spacing looks messy

2. apparent dot sizing.. these all look different for some reason

3. poor signifiers... this is supposed to be one of your custom icon mods, but it looks no different from a dash and looks like a misprint if anything. again, even if you fix all the inconsistencies in weight and spacing, I don't think the icon designs from the start have much applicable meaning to match them to the actual function. i.e. the shift key... I can't imagine any abstract way that the icon represents shift.

4. these two caps alone are enough to show that the icon mods don't blend well at all with the set imo. you'd have to modify the icon mods or modify the legends for your alphas

here are some good examples of custom icon mods imo: milkshake by biip, 2048 by biip, ramenstop by plop, micons from mito, etc.

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:30:12 by Ustinj »

Offline vndytran

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 19:33:56 »
GLWIC

sorry it was blunt, let me be more constructive.. the biggest issue with it is that it seems to lack consistency, there are lines and dots of significantly varying thickness - makes it look very sloppy and doesn't look like something that should be put on a product that will be selling at a mass scale. i'd revisit the size of your dots and thickness of your lines, and even that you have some sort of consistency in the spacing between them as well. signifiers 90% of those icons fail to somehow indicate their function (take a look at KAT milkshake for some really high-quality and abstract icons imo).

1. inconsistent spacing looks messy

Show Image

2. apparent dot sizing.. these all look different for some reason

Show Image

3. poor signifiers... this is supposed to be one of your custom icon mods, but it looks no different from a dash and looks like a misprint if anything. again, even if you fix all the inconsistencies in weight and spacing, I don't think the icon designs from the start have much applicable meaning to match them to the actual function. i.e. the shift key... I can't imagine any abstract way that the icon represents shift.

Show Image

4. these two caps alone are enough to show that the icon mods don't blend well at all with the set imo. you'd have to modify the icon mods or modify the legends for your alphas

Show Image

here are some good examples of custom icon mods imo: milkshake by biip, 2048 by biip, ramenstop by plop, micons from mito, etc.

thank you so much for the feedback!! I do agree with your crtiques and will definitely work on the mods.

Offline Reindeer

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 20:09:51 »
Like the novs. Good luck with IC!

Offline floweryi

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 02:31:12 »
novelties are a hard yes but the colours are a bit iffy. they look nice separately, but together they just don't match at imo. also the dull and desaturated purple especially doesn't strike me as vibrant or capturing that playfulness of 'dreamer', and i think the darker blue also doesn't match the other colours.

also just wondering, is the white gonna be ebpt's bright white or the more yellowish white?
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 May 2021, 02:42:17 by floweryi »

Offline AstralYT

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 02:56:23 »
Looks something like novelkeys would put up as an instock set.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 03:03:46 »
Totally adorable set! Not sure how I feel about the purple on the novelties specifically, but really digging the look as a whole.  :thumb:

Offline R4YN3

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 12:16:42 »
What is the color of the novelties? WS2? WS1? Also, will there be a rama?

Offline chung

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 15:15:30 »
cute novs

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 15:45:12 »
I agree with Ustinj on the icon designs, but I'd be remiss if I didn't also point out that this kitting is made with GMK in mind, not ePBT. You're losing out on the potential for child kits and extra keys that are affordable in both price and MOQ for ePBT but not GMK. I highly recommend you look at other ePBT sets that have run recently for inspiration.

There are also some really weird choices being made here, like:
* extra set of bottom right accent keys. Was one set meant to be unaccented?
* you have an ASDF row 1.5u enter key, which is specific to 40%, but there are no other 40/ortho keys including the ubiquitous home row 1.25u tab so I'm not sure what the intent was.

I hope there are a lot of changes made before GB, this is a neat concept but needs a lot of work.

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 15:47:05 »
inconsistent spacing looks messy
I’ll add to that that having those ‘slash’ symbols in the icon mods at an ever-so-slightly different angle to the slashes in the alphas is another inconsistency that just doesn’t look right.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 21:07:18 »
Just looks, kinda sloppy