Author Topic: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB LIVE!  (Read 33260 times)

Offline Leviathan

[IC] DSS White on Black | GB LIVE!
« on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 12:27:41 »
DSS White on Black

Introducing DSS White on Black, a classic colorway now available on the best keycap profile, DSS. This set is perfect for those who prefer a clean and minimalist look, comfy typing feel, and ABS plastic under your fingers. For this newest iteration of this set I’ve strived to get as much 40% coverage in the base kit as possible, and a new CMYK mod kit!

Group buy live! Thread here!

Group Buy Dates: February 24th, 2024 to March 31st, 2024
Estimated delivery: Q3 2024
Vendor: Keyboard Arcade

Render by Olivia

Kits

Base $130

CMYK $25

Render by mike.40

Layouts Covered
Layouts this set covers:
Most 30% and lower keyboards (they keep making new ones dammit!)
4-row ortholinear (Planck-like)
5-row ortholinear (Preonic-like)
Numrowless Columnar Staggered Boards (Orbit-x, Reviung39/41, Corne, Kyria, Atreus42)
Numrow Col. Staggered Boards (Iris, Atreus62)
10u staggered (QAZ-like)
12u staggered
12.25u staggered (Delilah)
12.5u staggered (Whimsy single-spacebar, UT47.2, Humble40, and Dimple)
12.75u staggered (Minivan-like/V4NAG0N)
13u staggered
14u staggered (Neko split space, TMO50, Adelie)
More probably?!

Render by Olivia

Render by Olivia

Render by Olivia

Colors
SP ABS NN
SP ABS WFK
SP ABS BHG
SP ABS RFP
SP ABS YY

DSS Overview
DSS is a keycap profile created by Signature Plastics, a well-known manufacturer of custom keycaps.
The DSS profile features a spherical shape with a slightly concave top, providing a comfortable and ergonomic typing experience. The keycaps are sculpted, meaning that they have different shapes and sizes depending on their position on the keyboard. This allows for a more natural and efficient typing experience.
Overall, the DSS keycap profile offers a high-quality, visually appealing, and comfortable option for those looking to customize their mechanical keyboard.
Signature Plastics does not currently have convex DSS spacebar molds, so the small bars will all be produced in the DSA profile.

Stay Up To Date
Me: Website, Instagram
Keyboard Arcade: Website, Instagram
40s Discord: Discord (?rank DSS White on Black)

Thank you
Mike for vendoring and kit renders
Olivia for board renders
Everyone in the 40s server for all the help and hype throughout the process of putting this together.

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2024, 09:27:48 by Triticus »

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 12:30:19 »
Reserved

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 12:36:29 »
Looks good, not much to say standard wob

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 12:45:58 »
Sign me up.

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 15:16:46 »
What material is the DSS caps? I really  would love these in ABS material
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline AshF

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 15:56:50 »
Love the set, wish it had decent international support though (please add UK ISO kit )

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Offline moh18one

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 15:57:55 »

DSS are still new in comparison to DSA, so they are only made in ABS.

Offline Damage

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 20:25:41 »
Yes.

Offline zionsped

• Simbusped
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 22:53:07 »
Love this one!

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 03:24:56 »

DSS are still new in comparison to DSA, so they are only made in ABS.

Cool, cannot wait to try this profile
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline rondg

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 04:18:01 »
Please consider adding R1 Delete key

Oops. Never mind 😅

Offline mvkb

• Designer
    • MVKB
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 04:48:39 »
What’s the texture of these caps?

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 07:36:21 »
What’s the texture of these caps?
Smooth sides but textured top. Like DSA.

Offline P103

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 07:45:19 »
Nice to see more DSS offerings.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 11:23:37 »
Love the set, wish it had decent international support though (please add UK ISO kit )

UK ISO either in the base kit or as a separate kit is definitely something I'm considering.

Another suggestion from Discord is an rgb mod kit. Added that and a question specific to Icon vs Text mods to the IC form.

Offline saintnoodle

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 15:42:44 »
Filled out the form but I'll post my suggestion here too. Add the actual UK ISO keys and put them in a separate kit. The only thing in the base kit is the ISO enter, but it's entirely missing the rest of the keys to complete the ISO layout like the pound key (#~) and the quote legend on 2 rather than on '. Also backslash is where # should be on the base kit... for some reason. I hope there's a layout out there that has the backslash key there but I personally haven't seen it on any ISO keyboard...

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 19:04:15 »
Filled out the form but I'll post my suggestion here too. Add the actual UK ISO keys and put them in a separate kit. The only thing in the base kit is the ISO enter, but it's entirely missing the rest of the keys to complete the ISO layout like the pound key (#~) and the quote legend on 2 rather than on '. Also backslash is where # should be on the base kit... for some reason. I hope there's a layout out there that has the backslash key there but I personally haven't seen it on any ISO keyboard...

A real UK ISO kit is probably going to happen. Only reason for exclusion in the base kit was simply to start with a good simple kitting and see what would be requested. I'll probably do a re-kitting after about a week or so of feedback to reflect the current state. Thanks.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 13:59:33 »
I'm considering pulling out the alphas and going a full 40% and separate full ortho kit. Keeping the 60% more or less as-is, maybe dropping the F row in there. Numpad would also become its own kit. I like the flexibility that that provides. But if you were hoping to cover multiple boards you're going to end up paying more potentially. Something to consider there, hit me with any feedback on that. I'll put together a KLE on what I'm thinking and share it after any feedback comes in.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 18:12:36 »
I'm considering pulling out the alphas and going a full 40% and separate full ortho kit. Keeping the 60% more or less as-is, maybe dropping the F row in there. Numpad would also become its own kit. I like the flexibility that that provides. But if you were hoping to cover multiple boards you're going to end up paying more potentially. Something to consider there, hit me with any feedback on that. I'll put together a KLE on what I'm thinking and share it after any feedback comes in.

As far as I understood from the DCS Wyse GB attempt, SP just prices sets per-key (at a given MOQ), with no discounts or adjustments for combining them into bigger kits (at least for DCS). So I'm not sure splitting it this way makes sense. That's why SP sets run in all these weird small combinations, instead of in bigger "bundles" like GMK.

You could do something like: alphas, 60% mods, TKL nav + F row, numpad, 40% mods, and ISO-UK. Then (using example numbers only for illustration) price alphas, 60%, and TKL at 150 MOQ, price the numpad at 75 MOQ, price the 40s kit at 25 MOQ, and price the ISO-UK kit at 25 MOQ. Everyone gets to buy only what they need, without inflating the prices of the main kits.

Then again, I've never gotten a DSS quote so maybe SP has a totally different pricing structure.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 March 2021, 18:14:53 by tex_live_utility »
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline joedinkle

• Eye Oh Designs
    • Eye Oh Designs
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 20:23:12 »
I think it would be great to have the alphas separate from the mods. 40s and ortho would do well together, as their is a decent amount of overlap there.

I can't tell the exact sizes on the mods for 40s, but it looks like some things are missing. You should have a 1.75u and 1.5u backspace. Shifts should be 1.75u, 1.5u, and 1u.

If you want to be great, add a 1.25u backspace and an extra 1.75u shift.

There are some folks much smarter than me in the 40s discord that can offer done suggestions as well.

Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Vixen

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 11:56:36 »

I do want to be great. I'm hoping to be able provide solid coverage all around. It's such a basic set, that exclusion seems silly. Plus because it's monotone I figure I don't have a few keys, like accents, so I can include a few obscure keys and it won't be overboard price wise.

You could do something like: alphas, 60% mods, TKL nav + F row, numpad, 40% mods, and ISO-UK. Then (using example numbers only for illustration) price alphas, 60%, and TKL at 150 MOQ, price the numpad at 75 MOQ, price the 40s kit at 25 MOQ, and price the ISO-UK kit at 25 MOQ. Everyone gets to buy only what they need, without inflating the prices of the main kits.

Yeah, the kits you've laid out here is kinda what I'm thinking. There is an odd trade off (at least with SP pricing) where you can do a all-in-one kit and everybody pays somewhere around $135 for everything (minus accents in DSS WOB's case) or some people get away with $90 to cover one board, and others have to pay more like $150 to cover one bigger board. Then tack on something like a UK ISO or Accent kit on top of that. A la carte works better the cheaper the plastic. I have three options: All-in-one kit, A-la-carte kits, or a GMK style 60% focused base kit with child kits. For DSS I'm thinking one of the first two is best. Around $135 for one main big kit, or more smaller kits that end up being more expensive if you want to cover a lot of boards. Right this second I'm leaning toward one big kit.

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black - Kitting Overhaul
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 21:18:07 »
4/15/21 Update

Kitting has been overhauled and some additional kits have been added per requests from the first Google form. There's a new Google form for this version of the kitting. Please hit me with any feedback, suggestions, or questions you have.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 21:28:33 »
Yes, please WoB me.

That's a hell of a 40s kit! I see you've been working on some revisions. As much as I love to see maximum compatibility, I am personally of the attitude that getting the row profile and size correct is a lot more important than making everyone happy with exactly the right legends. GMK is tough because you can't re-use standard modifiers keys for R3, but with DSS you can do it easily. You can probably get the cost of the 40s kit down significantly by focusing only on having enough keys in the right shapes and sizes, rather than focusing on covering all possible combinations of modifiers.

That said, it looks like you're going for a setup where a 40s-oriented buyer only needs the 40s keys and doesn't need any of the TKL keys. That's a valid approach, if you are definitely going to be combining the 60s + TKL into one kit. But as others mentioned, the SP pricing structure lets you get really aggressive with "a-la-carte" kit design.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 22:03:06 »
Yes, please WoB me.
:thumb:

That's a hell of a 40s kit! I see you've been working on some revisions. As much as I love to see maximum compatibility, I am personally of the attitude that getting the row profile and size correct is a lot more important than making everyone happy with exactly the right legends. GMK is tough because you can't re-use standard modifiers keys for R3, but with DSS you can do it easily. You can probably get the cost of the 40s kit down significantly by focusing only on having enough keys in the right shapes and sizes, rather than focusing on covering all possible combinations of modifiers.
Yes, definitely don't disagree with anything here. The kitting as it stands now is probably as big as it will be. Definitely a couple keys in there that are potential cuts like the 2u Backspace and the extra 1.75u Shift (for dimple layout). And there might be more that could be culled because there's a row and size equivalent that covers the need. But cost wise right now with an alpha kit I think it's looking pretty good. So, it might be a little indulgent, but will probably try to keep it close to where it is unless there a few keys I could pull really drop the cost.

That said, it looks like you're going for a setup where a 40s-oriented buyer only needs the 40s keys and doesn't need any of the TKL keys. That's a valid approach, if you are definitely going to be combining the 60s + TKL into one kit. But as others mentioned, the SP pricing structure lets you get really aggressive with "a-la-carte" kit design.

Yes, 40s is meant to pair with Alphas and be good to go. And yea the TKL incorporated into the 60% kit was an attempt to reduce the overall number of kits. Definitely aware of the SP pricing and maybe a TKL kit could make sense. At the higher MOQ of the 60% kit though it might not actually make that much of a difference to a 60% user, but TKL, especially TKL and Numpad people will probably pay more.

Thanks for the feedback and the interest!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 23:09:53 »
VAG definitely looks more green than teal.  If that's the color you want, I think it's fine.  And I like the look of it.  I just wouldn't call it teal.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 06:19:11 »
VAG definitely looks more green than teal.  If that's the color you want, I think it's fine.  And I like the look of it.  I just wouldn't call it teal.

That's fair. Teal is more blue. Maybe Jade is a better name.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 09:01:36 »
From the IC Form:

Missing R2 Tab, 2nd 1u R3 Shift for ortho kit

The R2 1u "OUT" is meant to be a generic legend that can cover Tab or Delete. But I think the need is for another R2 key, like just having a Tab and a Del looks like what some sets do.

For the Shift, I assume they meant a 2nd R4 Shift. Yeah this also makes sense because without it forces an R4 Enter on ortho.

I could add another R2 1u, possibly splitting Tab and Del back "Out" lol. And adding another R4 key makes sense, possibly Shift or a generic legend.

Ortho layouts are what I'm least familiar with so hit me with any suggestions.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 09:54:28 »

That's fair. Teal is more blue. Maybe Jade is a better name.

Yeah, I was thinking Jade as well.  I really like that color with black, too.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 12:37:04 »
I think it would be great to have the alphas separate from the mods. 40s and ortho would do well together, as their is a decent amount of overlap there.

I can't tell the exact sizes on the mods for 40s, but it looks like some things are missing. You should have a 1.75u and 1.5u backspace. Shifts should be 1.75u, 1.5u, and 1u.

There are some folks much smarter than me in the 40s discord that can offer done suggestions as well.

Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I think with the new kitting changes I covered a lot of your feedback here. Let me know if there is anything else!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 12:43:10 »

Check it out now, UK alphas in the alpha kit. UK ISO in 60% kit and a NorDe kit!

Offline AshF

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 18:04:40 »

Check it out now, UK alphas in the alpha kit. UK ISO in 60% kit and a NorDe kit!
Awesome thank you
Does this mean I will have to pick up a 60% kit to get the enter key and a separate accent kit to get the rest of the UK ISO?
Would be nice if the enter key was moved over to the accent kit which would be slicker (unless I'm missing something that is).

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 18:20:02 »

Awesome thank you
Does this mean I will have to pick up a 60% kit to get the enter key and a separate accent kit to get the rest of the UK ISO?
Would be nice if the enter key was moved over to the accent kit which would be slicker (unless I'm missing something that is).

When you say "rest of the UK ISO" do you mean the alpha keys? UK alphas are in the base alpha kit. Accent ISO Enters are in the accent kits.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 14:38:40 »
Considering adding back in accent bars. Moved numpad accents to the numpad kit, because those are only relevant there. And I adjusted the color of the VAG accent kit, now called "Jade".

Might condense the R3 1u to an agnostic legend.

Offline AshF

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 18:03:43 »

Awesome thank you

When you say "rest of the UK ISO" do you mean the alpha keys? UK alphas are in the base alpha kit. Accent ISO Enters are in the accent kits.
I don't understand why the ISO enter key is separate to the UK ISO kitting - it would make more sense to move the ISO enter key to the accent kit so it is all together. Only my thoughts.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 19:24:53 »

Awesome thank you

I don't understand why the ISO enter key is separate to the UK ISO kitting - it would make more sense to move the ISO enter key to the accent kit so it is all together. Only my thoughts.

The idea was to keep alphas with alphas, maybe there's a 40% UK board out there that needs WOB. And the ISO enter I think only makes sense in the 60% mod kit. But, I've also been weighing what to do with ISO Enter accents and I think pulling UK ISO including Accent enters into a separate kit might make the most sense.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 09:20:02 »
This is my new idea for the UK ISO support. Pull it back into a child kit but include the accent ISO keys and R1 ESC keys. Hopefully this is exciting because you get your ISO support, you get the accent keys that are most relevant to ISO. NorDe ISO also gets a bunch of value out of only 1 additional kit that they'd be buying anyway.

Also for you ISO Enter people, middle aligned legend or top aligned legend? Top aligned is nice because it will line up the legend with other R2 legends, vs middle which is doing it's own thing but centered on the key. Check out DSS Late Harvest for an example of a top aligned legend. https://nopunin10did.com/dss-late-harvest/

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 10:34:35 »
Oh, look, exactly what I’ve been looking for, just the thing I need with the Norde for my office use board. Will absolutely jump in for this one.

Oh, and prefer top aligned enter!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 13:08:05 »
Oh, look, exactly what I’ve been looking for, just the thing I need with the Norde for my office use board. Will absolutely jump in for this one.

Oh, and prefer top aligned enter!

Great to hear! And thanks for the enter feedback, I'm leaning toward top aligned right now.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 09:37:56 »
I'm looking for some in put from you alternate layout people.

Currently I have a combined Colevrak kit, based on SPs Colevrak kit. I don't currently include a Colevrak Pro kit or support. I'm curious what alternate layouts you'd actually be interested in purchasing with this set. If for example it's mostly or entirely Colemak I'll just include a Colemak kit vs a combined kit.

Google Form for alternate layouts

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 12:24:47 »

Currently I have a combined Colevrak kit, based on SPs Colevrak kit. I don't currently include a Colevrak Pro kit or support. I'm curious what alternate layouts you'd actually be interested in purchasing with this set. If for example it's mostly or entirely Colemak I'll just include a Colemak kit vs a combined kit.

First off, thanks so much for thinking about including alternate layout child kits. I went ahead filled out the google form (Colemak DHm user here). I don't want to speak for everyone, but I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to throw in the dvorak keycaps, even if they are of no use to me. An all encompassing Colevrak+ (also referred to as Typist) kit would be my recommendation. I think that ttom did a great job of taking feedback from the community in the GMK Colvevrak+ IC/GB.

Here's a link for reference: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105239.0
GMK render of Colevrak+ kit: https://imgur.com/WaPCzTt

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black - Dvorak or Colemak?
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 12:38:10 »

First off, thanks so much for thinking about including alternate layout child kits. I went ahead filled out the google form (Colemak DHm user here). I don't want to speak for everyone, but I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to throw in the dvorak keycaps, even if they are of no use to me. An all encompassing Colevrak+ (also referred to as Typist) kit would be my recommendation. I think that ttom did a great job of taking feedback from the community in the GMK Colvevrak+ IC/GB.

Here's a link for reference: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105239.0
GMK render of Colevrak+ kit: https://imgur.com/WaPCzTt

Thanks for the great input and direction on the typist kit. I've dropped it into my KLE for reference.

Probably the most economical way to get the full support is to combine them. Each can support the other and one won't get canceled entirely.

The one thing I'd leave out is two homing key options. What do you think about that? Is dish only acceptable?
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 April 2021, 12:48:55 by Triticus »

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 13:02:23 »
The one thing I'd leave out is two homing key options. What do you think about that? Is dish only acceptable?

Yeah, since you are only going with deep dish F & J in the Aphlas kit, that totally makes sense to align the strategy for the Colevrak+ kit. Thanks again!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 16:08:18 »

Yeah, since you are only going with deep dish F & J in the Aphlas kit, that totally makes sense to align the strategy for the Colevrak+ kit. Thanks again!

I actually have no non-homing F & J, I have both bars and deep dish. I know the "correct" answer is to include both in the Typist kit. But being able to shave 5 keys off would be nice...

Offline Puncus

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 16:30:23 »
i have never tried DSS but might just be getting this to try since its WoB, GLWIC

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB Date and Vendors Announced
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 23:17:13 »
GB Date is July 13th!

Vendors
USA: Leviathan Mech
Canada: AlphaKeys
Mexico: Rheset
Latin America: Fancy Customs
Europe: MyKeyboard
UK: Proto[Typist]
China/Asia: Zfrontier
South Korea: monstargears
SEA: iLumKB
Oceania: Daily Clack

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 23:19:56 »
i have never tried DSS but might just be getting this to try since its WoB, GLWIC

Thanks! Hopefully an easy set to try DSS out.

Offline Timception

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 23:24:04 »
Please add ilumkb as a vendor pleeeeeease.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 11:32:11 »
possible first dss kit for me. i appreciate wob, and already have gmk and mt3 (and i really, really do not like mt3 due to height and scoops) with kat refined on the way.

i appreciate the option for macos kit however i just realized that windows could be a kit, also. then people get what they want without paying for keys that they will *never* use. alternatively, maybe add two 1.5u system keys and another 1u alt key to base? only respond if you want, this is just my standard complaint about having windows format as the only choice in base kit for tsangan/hhkb bottom row.

glwic  :thumb:

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 11:49:26 »
GB Date is July 13th!

Vendors
USA: Leviathan Mech
Canada: AlphaKeys
Mexico: Rheset
Latin America: Fancy Customs
Europe: MyKeyboard
UK: Proto[Typist]
China/Asia: Zfrontier
South Korea: monstargears
SEA: iLumKB
Oceania: Daily Clack

Please add ilumkb as a vendor pleeeeeease.

Got it covered!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 13:41:47 »
possible first dss kit for me. i appreciate wob, and already have gmk and mt3 (and i really, really do not like mt3 due to height and scoops) with kat refined on the way.

i appreciate the option for macos kit however i just realized that windows could be a kit, also. then people get what they want without paying for keys that they will *never* use. alternatively, maybe add two 1.5u system keys and another 1u alt key to base? only respond if you want, this is just my standard complaint about having windows format as the only choice in base kit for tsangan/hhkb bottom row.

Hey thank you for the interest and the feedback. I think if MT3 felt too high DSS is definitely more similar to GMK (Cherry) height wise, just sculpted. Hope you enjoy it if you pick it up.

For the 1.5u System keys and that extra alt, these are keys I keep adding to the base kit and someone inevitably tells me to pull them. Definitely makes sense from a "MacOS support in the base  60% mod kit" but I think this is a "there has to be a cut line somewhere" situation. I have the MacOS child kit to add full Mac legend support and I don't know if Windows users would miss 1.5u System keys as I think in 1.5u instances the Win key is 1u, or non-existent (WKL). So, as I try adding keys back in in my non-public iterations these keys always stick out as a relatively easy cut.

I don't see 1.5u System or equivalent legends in some recent GMK kits, but if these are missed from this set I'll definitely consider them.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 13:44:01 »

Yo, been a while since you posted, but thank you for the interest. Kitting update coming soon too...

Offline azzipa

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 15:46:05 »
More

Hey thank you for the interest and the feedback. I think if MT3 felt too high DSS is definitely more similar to GMK (Cherry) height wise, just sculpted. Hope you enjoy it if you pick it up.

For the 1.5u System keys and that extra alt, these are keys I keep adding to the base kit and someone inevitably tells me to pull them. Definitely makes sense from a "MacOS support in the base  60% mod kit" but I think this is a "there has to be a cut line somewhere" situation. I have the MacOS child kit to add full Mac legend support and I don't know if Windows users would miss 1.5u System keys as I think in 1.5u instances the Win key is 1u, or non-existent (WKL). So, as I try adding keys back in in my non-public iterations these keys always stick out as a relatively easy cut.

I don't see 1.5u System or equivalent legends in some recent GMK kits, but if these are missed from this set I'll definitely consider them.

i really appreciate your direct response so i'll do my best not to pollute this thread. 1.5u system keys are rarely missed by anyone except mac users interested in tsangan/hhkb. your macos child kit is a decent way to satisfy this niche - and a lot more than what's in most kits. and fwiw, i don't buy gmk kits that force me into a windows-keyed tsangan bottom row. recent kits that support my niche view include stealth (in base), seafarer (in base), hunt (in base), taiga (with extension kit), monochrome (with commando kit), modern ink (with novelties), retro runic (with extension), dualshot 2 (with addition), and currently-abandoned ada (with extension kit). epbt 6085, wapuro, solaria, dreamscape, bow cyrillic, scandi, and space camp (code, not super) also have my desired kitting in base. thanks for reading!

edit: add gmk monochrome, modern ink, retro runic, dualshot 2; epbt dreamscape, bow cyrillic, and scandi
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2021, 11:54:09 by azzipa »

Offline Tomn

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 19:16:23 »

I'm a fan of the minimalistic WOB aesthetic!
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:21:27 by Tomn »

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | Kitting Update - Pricing Soon
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 10:50:43 »
I've updated the kitting once more. Decided to pull apart the 40% and Ortho kits into separate kits to let an alpha kit + a mod kit for each be priced lower yet offer solid compatibility for each. Also, decided to include a full Colemak alpha kit vs just the compatibility kit. Also, pulled accent bars from the accent kits for cost/the bars are mostly just DSA anyway, which can be found on pimpmykeyboard.com regularly. I will absolutely produce a DSS bars kit in these colors once those molds are available. I also did pull all the accents back to accent kits.

The kitting here is feeling really good to me. The design goals with this set are good coverage with a reasonable entry price. I think I've kit that mark, as you will be able to pickup an alpha kit and a mod kit for a reasonable price and expand into coverage, accents, language compatibility, bars as needed.

The google feedback form has been updated with this kitting, so drop any additional feedback there or reply here or jump into my discord.

I got a quote on this kitting and am working on pricing, there should be an update soon on that.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 11:22:16 »
nice work, and glwgb  :thumb:

it looks like you've put a LOT of thought into kitting and i'm looking forward to trying dss profile, however i'm a bit sad looking at 60/65/75/TKL kit and realizing i only need 14 of 65 keys (and it's down to 10 with macos kit).

edit: DSS spec sheet found here
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 June 2021, 11:59:23 by azzipa »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 14:29:32 »
nice work, and glwgb  :thumb:

it looks like you've put a LOT of thought into kitting and i'm looking forward to trying dss profile, however i'm a bit sad looking at 60/65/75/TKL kit and realizing i only need 14 of 65 keys (and it's down to 10 with macos kit).

edit: DSS spec sheet found here

Thanks! Yes a lot of focus on kitting. The question is how will this more a-la-carte kitting perform vs a more standard larger base kit.

Are you a 60% user? Yeah I think I was able to improve having to buy extra keys for other sizes, and left the 60%+ crowd with a setup like a non-numpad GMK set. Which, I was relying on that being fairly "normal" and expected. If I didn't have the other compatibility kits I probably would have pulled out the function row and TKL keys into an expansion pack.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 14:48:42 »
Thanks! Yes a lot of focus on kitting. The question is how will this more a-la-carte kitting perform vs a more standard larger base kit.

Are you a 60% user? Yeah I think I was able to improve having to buy extra keys for other sizes, and left the 60%+ crowd with a setup like a non-numpad GMK set. Which, I was relying on that being fairly "normal" and expected. If I didn't have the other compatibility kits I probably would have pulled out the function row and TKL keys into an expansion pack.

i think the a la carte will work well, but just my opinion. dss dolch and tecla both had many kits, and kat refined used a similar approach last fall (in case you haven't looked at that set). either way, i'm getting a bit excited to try out dss. and i might just grab the red accents for dss dolch still offered by SP at pimpmykeyboard since the kit is only $8.

EDIT: maybe take a look at your numpad keys? it looks like you have "+" in place of "÷" (and awesome that you didn't choose "/"). also, your minus sign is barely a dash and looks to be a bit small compared to the other symbols, but it could be the multiplication sign is very large. or maybe your renders use a different font? (even your alphas look very different.) your kit is shown with dss dolch and dss carpenteria which both have symbols that look more proportional.

2d EDIT: dss lightcycle was put into ic yesterday. the numpad legends look much more consistent and also use the smaller SP font.

edit: numpad comments and images added
2d edit: found out SP uses two different fonts; added link to dss lightcycle
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 June 2021, 18:28:26 by azzipa »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 08:28:24 »

i think the a la carte will work well, but just my opinion. dss dolch and tecla both had many kits, and kat refined used a similar approach last fall (in case you haven't looked at that set). either way, i'm getting a bit excited to try out dss. and i might just grab the red accents for dss dolch still offered by SP at pimpmykeyboard since the kit is only $8.

EDIT: maybe take a look at your numpad keys? it looks like you have "+" in place of "÷" (and awesome that you didn't choose "/"). also, your minus sign is barely a dash and looks to be a bit small compared to the other symbols, but it could be the multiplication sign is very large. or maybe your renders use a different font? (even your alphas look very different.) your kit is shown with dss dolch and dss carpenteria which both have symbols that look more proportional.

2d EDIT: dss lightcycle was put into ic yesterday. the numpad legends look much more consistent and also use the smaller SP font.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

edit: numpad comments and images added
2d edit: found out SP uses two different fonts; added link to dss lightcycle

Yooo, all great points. I'll fix the division symbol and update the minus to a larger dash. The intention is definitely to match those existing DSS examples. Any variation in the legends in my renders is the fact that I'm not using the same font as SP uses, because I don't think there is a complete webfont version of that specific font. I'm using the font Comfortaa because it's pretty close, but it has full symbol support. It's closer I think than the default font for DSA that KLE pulls in. I'm going to try and have a specific legend discussion with SP around some of these to make sure their visually consistent, like there was a question along the way around the *, to get a 5 point asterisk vs the 6 on dolch.

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 23:52:32 »
Please consider adding a second tab to the TKL kit so it can cover 2 boards.

Also, I think the row labels for the numpad are off by one after that top row; home row should be R3 instead of R4, right? Same thing with the 40s kit; top row is R2.

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 06:04:09 »

Also, I think the row labels for the numpad are off by one after that top row; home row should be R3 instead of R4, right? Same thing with the 40s kit; top row is R2.

i think it should be
R2
R3
R4
R3
R3
R3

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 07:17:54 »

i think it should be
R2
R3
R4
R3
R3
R3

You are absolutely right! I'll fix those labels, thanks for calling them out. Though for some reason Imgur is failing to let me upload images right now...so those image links might break. I'll try again in a few.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 07:38:50 »
All fixed now!

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 09:49:43 »
All fixed now!

:thumb: Looking forward to the GB!

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 10:13:09 »
Good enough. Would like to see some other accents, but there is a good variety

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 11:05:00 »
Good enough. Would like to see some other accents, but there is a good variety

Good enough is my middle name, lol. You talking other colors? I wanted more too, red...pink... Might do some stand-alone accent kits later on.

Offline MattVortex

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 07:14:52 »
In the render for the alphas kit, this key has the wrong legend, it should be [' @], not [1 @]:

Offline RiC0

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 08:29:47 »
The image for the Colemak Alpha kit has the bottom four keys [B D R K] labeled as R3. Am I correct in thinking that they should be R2?

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 14:24:13 »
Ne renders with RGB Kit avail?

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 09:20:15 »
In the render for the alphas kit, this key has the wrong legend, it should be [' @], not [1 @]:

(Attachment Link)

I'll double check this, thank you!

The image for the Colemak Alpha kit has the bottom four keys [B D R K] labeled as R3. Am I correct in thinking that they should be R2?

You are right! I'll adjust the row label. Thanks.

Ne renders with RGB Kit avail?

Oh yes, coming soon. New kit and board renders will be out before this launches on July 13th.

Offline Timception

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 09:56:29 »
Whether or not that I get this depends on the vendors, if you send some to ilumkb then I'm in!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 10:46:41 »
Whether or not that I get this depends on the vendors, if you send some to ilumkb then I'm in!

ilumkb is in! Get hyped. New renders and info on pricing should be coming soon.

Offline jpk6134

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 10:57:40 »
Do you have an idea how long these might take to ship once the GB closes? I'm surprised to see that keycap sets are 15mo+ in some cases, so I'm hoping this one won't be quite as long as that.

Looking forward to seeing the new renders!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 10:59:38 »
Do you have an idea how long these might take to ship once the GB closes? I'm surprised to see that keycap sets are 15mo+ in some cases, so I'm hoping this one won't be quite as long as that.

Looking forward to seeing the new renders!

I've heard different things coming out of other recent SP projects, and I think there's been a plastic shortage. But it's in the order of a few months at most. Will have a solid estimate once we get a little further along.

Offline svenge

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 14:53:34 »
Not that I need another WOB set ...but they do look the best and DSS is my favorite profile.  I will go in for this as long as it covers standard ANSI full size and typical 65/75% with reasonable prices.  The Norbauer DSS kit was stupid expensive ... Hoping that's not the case with WOB.  Would recommend this profile to anyone, I think it's the best.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 09:13:11 »
looking forward to next update. and i’m wondering if a different background (basically any color with some contrast) would help the kitting images pop a bit more?

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 11:25:16 »
looking forward to next update. and i’m wondering if a different background (basically any color with some contrast) would help the kitting images pop a bit more?

Definitely agree on the background, going to lighten it a bit. It helps.

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB July 13th - Pricing Update!
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 15:00:14 »
Yo! Big update prior to the GB starting next Tuesday July 13th. Pricing is up as are new kit/board renders.

Pricing for a few vendors is still TBD as they are waiting for some more accurate exchange rates closer to the GB date. Will update as I receive them.

Look out for Reddit, Keebtalk, and Instagram posts from me and the vendors. Drop your likes, subscribes, comments, etc. in those to support the GB.

One outstanding edit is adding 6.25 and 7u bars to the Colemak alpha kit, rending incoming shortly.

I'm super hyped about this...I hope you are too.

Offline smshark

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 16:09:13 »
This may have been mentioned elsewhere but I think the RGB kit but have Alt and Shift rows mixed up

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 16:13:03 »
This may have been mentioned elsewhere but I think the RGB kit but have Alt and Shift rows mixed up

Ah yes, thank you. Good call, will update soon.

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB is Live!
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 21:34:53 »
Group buy thread is up and most if not all vendors are live.

Thank you all for the feedback and support!

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | Updated IC - New Kitting
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 15:03:55 »
IC is back and updated!

New kitting, simpler this time. Take a look and leave any feedback here, in the IC form, or in the discord.

New IC Form

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2022, 09:51:41 by Triticus »

Offline Akele

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 02:28:05 »
IC is back and updated!

New kitting, simpler this time. Take a look and leave any feedback here, in the IC form, or in the discord.

New Proposed Kitting

New IC Form

Thanks!

Great to see this make a return. Hope it generates enough interest for a successful GB, as it's a really nice looking kit.

Offline Gimbal

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 06:29:25 »
I don't have any DSS caps, and this set seems to have norde support... So yes, interested.  :thumb:

Offline Belled

• I like shoobs
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 19:09:53 »
I like it but what's with the green accents?

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 20:44:50 »
Many older boards came with RGB mods or CYMK mods. It is a vintage look kit.

Google Amstrad CPC464 for an example.

Or look at Vintage Cherry G80 RGB mods.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99047.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 February 2022, 20:47:08 by rpiguy9907 »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 13:11:38 »
Great to see this make a return. Hope it generates enough interest for a successful GB, as it's a really nice looking kit.

Thanks!

I don't have any DSS caps, and this set seems to have norde support... So yes, interested.  :thumb:

Yes indeed, it will have norde support. And ISO moved to the base kit.

I like it but what's with the green accents?

The first version of this had white/green accents and an RGB mod kit. TBD if any of that will move forward into this new version.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 14:04:09 »
Updated kitting again based on feedback.

I've included some basic black on white accents in each kit. Notably missing is an accent ISO enter in the base kit - unfortunately ISO enters are expensive so I opted to leave it out. If there is really enough interest I would gladly run a single accent ISO enter kit, which would cost somewhere around $15 each.

I opted to leave out accent bars as well, again just another cost saving measure. I think with BOW accent bars feel a little less necessary when compared to other non-mono sets.

I also am going to stick just with BOW accents for ESC and Enter keys this time. Again just trying to simplify.

I did keep the RGB kit included because there were a surprising amount of requests for it. I think it's an interesting way to further accent this set or pick it up to mix with other DSS sets.

Offline Akele

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 16:49:31 »
Would you include either trashicons or text modifiers in the base kit, or would you include trashicon mods in an extras kit? TBH I'd buy the base kit whether it had text mods or trashicon mods, but I do have a slight preference for the trashicons.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the kit not having an accent ISO enter and I probably wouldn't buy one if it was available as an extra as I prefer the black enter. I do really like the inclusion of the BoW esc key though so thanks for adding it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 February 2022, 16:52:13 by Akele »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 04:11:46 »
So those DSA blank bars are just in normal DSA profile instead of in proper spacebar profile?

When will SP start making DSA / DSS mini spacebars?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 11:16:12 »
So those DSA blank bars are just in normal DSA profile instead of in proper spacebar profile?

When will SP start making DSA / DSS mini spacebars?

I believe they're working on this, but not yet as far as I know. If they're available by the time this run I'll definitely switch the small bars to Convex as well.

Would you include either trashicons or text modifiers in the base kit, or would you include trashicon mods in an extras kit? TBH I'd buy the base kit whether it had text mods or trashicon mods, but I do have a slight preference for the trashicons.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the kit not having an accent ISO enter and I probably wouldn't buy one if it was available as an extra as I prefer the black enter. I do really like the inclusion of the BoW esc key though so thanks for adding it.

I think we're going to go with text mods this time around as that was what won in the feedback form. I'd absolutely do a trashcon mod expansion kit in the future. Maybe in a round 2 if round 1 is successful we can do more.

Offline JackPikatea

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 14:51:10 »
I really like the updated kitting. It's a good set of options

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 11:22:03 »
Updated renders, and vendor announcement coming soon. Been a slow wind up for this one, but hoping to pick up speed this spring. I hope you all are still interested. DSS is so good, give it a try...

Offline svenge

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 12:44:51 »
I hope you all are still interested. DSS is so good, give it a try...

I'm still watching.  Need more DSS.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 10:46:40 »
Still working. Ditto. New renders soon hopefully and then we'll start progressing again.

I hope you all are still interested. DSS is so good, give it a try...

I'm still watching.  Need more DSS.

Offline twitchytheinsideman

• UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU
    • Twitchy Homepage
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 09 November 2022, 03:20:00 »
Progress?