Author Topic: Dream Hobbies You Would Get Into IF You Could Afford Them  (Read 27895 times)

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
Re: Dream Hobbies You Would Get Into IF You Could Afford Them
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 18:24:17 »
Definitely want to expand on my metal working hobby. I currently have a mill, lathe and a welder that is way older than I am.. Would love to add a small furnace for metal casting and a forge and Anvil for blacksmiting... but apparently old anvils are also collectable, so just like our vintage boards, used anvils have become ridiculously expensive. Not to mention that there don't seem to be too many in my local area and shipping on a 400+ lb chunck of iron gets pretty steep.

And someday, I would love to have a dedicated shop with three-phase and enough room for something the size of a Haas VF-3 or even better, a UMC-750..
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline KeyRelic

• KeyRelic
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 13:27:24 »
High sea piracy.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 06:10:56 »
High sea piracy.
Achievable, all you need is a wealthy sponsor and a Kenyan crew of sailors.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 07:51:47 »
High sea piracy.

Can you imagine being a billionaire so bored you become a pirate overlord? Ahh man I'd for sure have an island hideout, probably hire some big architect to make sure it's shaped like a skull and volcano adjacent.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 02:23:28 »
High sea piracy.

Can you imagine being a billionaire so bored you become a pirate overlord? Ahh man I'd for sure have an island hideout, probably hire some big architect to make sure it's shaped like a skull and volcano adjacent.

**** yeah piracy.

Offline iri

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 03:07:34 »
High sea piracy.
Why not Somalian? Get the best talent money can buy!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline hvontres

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 09:56:16 »
High sea piracy.
You'd make an excellent Dread Pirate Roberts
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Rerun

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 11:11:25 »
If I could PCB making would be pretty sick

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 13:43:46 »
Off the top of my head, cuckoo clocks.  The really good ones are $$$, and every time I browse a cuckoo clock web site I have ideas about how I'd really like to modify or build one. 

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 15:54:02 »
Cosplay. Star Wars, Star Trek, LotR, Power Rangers. I love that stuff.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 17:00:21 »
In my experience, the cost of costuming/cosplay is often more in time and effort than in money.

I did manage to do some Star Wars cosplay on a budget when I was back in college, although only soft costumes that I could make myself with a sewing machine.
When I had a steady income I got a Clone Trooper kit, with boots and helmet, but although it cost a bit, it also required quite a bit of work to trim and fit -- but I never finished it because I messed it up. Maybe some day I'll get back on it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 18:14:55 »
I keep having this dream.

I dream I'm at some desert cliff with a couple flatbeds full of vehicles. Each vehicle can be remotely operated and has a camera on the front. Then we proceed to drive them around in a remote destruction derby before launching each one full speed off the cliff.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 18:54:50 »
Pay people to urban farm and give away the food.

Pay people to torpedo whalers and sealers.

Pay people to get STEM education.

Also I really like the pirate idea.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 21:49:58 »
In my experience, the cost of costuming/cosplay is often more in time and effort than in money.

I did manage to do some Star Wars cosplay on a budget when I was back in college, although only soft costumes that I could make myself with a sewing machine.
When I had a steady income I got a Clone Trooper kit, with boots and helmet, but although it cost a bit, it also required quite a bit of work to trim and fit -- but I never finished it because I messed it up. Maybe some day I'll get back on it.

Definitely a trade off between time and money, as with pretty much anything.

Offline sloth.

• Corne gang
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:07:48 »
Trains, just trains.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 17:26:14 »
It would be cool to start a YouTube channel or something where the intent is to travel around the world and rescue/rediscover vintage electronics. The premise of each episode would essentially be finding rumors about a warehouse or storage place that is filled with backstock or computer repair service storage, shuttered stores or even government facilities. It could be video game stuff, computer parts, old terminals. But with a specific focus on the adventure and clue chasing, finding old electronics that were manufactured and used regionally then either rescuing them for preservation or documenting them. You could discover a lot from places that had restrictions in the past like Soviet-era computers, Brazilian video game and pc stuff, or regional Korean electronics that are lost to time. It would be sick to go somewhere like N. Korea specifically for them to show off their old computer tech.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 11:52:30 »
It would be cool to start a YouTube channel or something where the intent is to travel around the world and rescue/rediscover vintage electronics. The premise of each episode would essentially be finding rumors about a warehouse or storage place that is filled with backstock or computer repair service storage, shuttered stores or even government facilities. It could be video game stuff, computer parts, old terminals. But with a specific focus on the adventure and clue chasing, finding old electronics that were manufactured and used regionally then either rescuing them for preservation or documenting them. You could discover a lot from places that had restrictions in the past like Soviet-era computers, Brazilian video game and pc stuff, or regional Korean electronics that are lost to time. It would be sick to go somewhere like N. Korea specifically for them to show off their old computer tech.

So like LGR meets 007 or maybe Indiana Jones. Would make for a great show.

Offline hvontres

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 12:12:41 »

Only if we can get Chyros to do the voice over work.....
Henry von Tresckow

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 22:04:12 »

Only if we can get Chyros to do the voice over work.....

Excellent

Offline Kavik

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 21:01:32 »
Traveling for long periods of time and learning languages through immersion.

Trying a bunch of different jobs for a week or a month at a time.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 18:51:47 »
I wanna make a movie called Spider Insider (or Spider Inside Her) about a guy who falls for a beautiful woman and after getting married slowly discovers she's actually a giant spider wearing human skin and how he has to grapple with his emotions of being terrified but also still loving his spider-wife.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 20:10:07 »
Quantum Computing and Super Computing.

Not exactly super computing, but I'd love to expand my homelab. I had an r720 and r220, but they were loud / took a lot of space / very annoying to move. Like most of hobbies above, it's less about the price of the hobby (buying used enterprise hardware is surprisingly cheap) and more about the space, setup, and stability requirements.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 21:38:25 »
I wanna make a movie called Spider Insider (or Spider Inside Her) about a guy who falls for a beautiful woman and after getting married slowly discovers she's actually a giant spider wearing human skin and how he has to grapple with his emotions of being terrified but also still loving his spider-wife.

china already beat you to that, they've got dozens of folklore of animal transforming into human form marrying some dude and sucking away his Ki.  They got a bunch of tv shows like that too.

It's actually not rare in folklore of all nations to have something like this.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 17:37:25 »
Polo. I played it for 3 days back in the early 00's and it was amazing. You need about 4 ponies to start, and maybe 12 if you're taking it seriously. Plus people to look after them and stables. If I had wads of cash I'd be all over it.

Designing my own range of PC cases, monitors and peripherals. Lots of chonky 80's and 90's molded plastic inspired stuff. Beige and other interesting colours other than black and white.

Collecting early Japanese arcade machines sounds dope but I'd need a staff of like 10 people to maintain all the leaky capacitors, and even then it's going to die eventually. Stuff wasn't really designed to last 50 plus years!
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2020, 17:41:56 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 18:19:42 »
Designing my own range of PC cases, monitors and peripherals. Lots of chonky 80's and 90's molded plastic inspired stuff. Beige and other interesting colours other than black and white.ut I'd need a staff of like 10 people to maintain all the leaky capacitors, and even then it's going to die eventually. Stuff wasn't really designed to last 50 plus years!

I'm actually surprised retro looking PC cases are not a thing. The modern led ridden neon nightmares of today are really not my style.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 15:57:38 »
I'd imagine once computers become sort of invisible with paper thin monitors that stream content from hardware elsewhere, we'll see a return to more deliberate computers as aesthetic devices in their own right. I mean they're probably the thing we look at most nowadays the minimalist approach can't continue forever.

Maybe not though. RBG and metal cases are really cheap I figure that's why they're pushing it. Plastic from molds is really expensive if not produced on a massive scale. Maybe you can replicate that with 3D printers now but I don't know most of the 3d printed stuff I see looks really cheap and nasty.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 December 2020, 15:59:32 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 19:02:26 »
 So this will become more difficult if Trump can't prove his case, but ... gun building.
I mean, I build my own computers from parts, I've built my own keyboards, why not build my personal declaration of the 2nd amendment?

AR-15s are the gun-equivalent of legos -- just buy a box and slap them together it's hardly difficult. Glock-alikes, likewise are very straight forward. Then there's the ones that need fancy metalworking. the 1911 pistol, or new 2011 double-stack 1911-ish pistols. The Sig P320 can be had in 80% build-at-home but my real dream here, is to build, I guess it would be a PSL, and deck it out with stained wood furniture to look like a dragunov.
Parts kits or even a full list of individual parts like bolts and generic trunnions are all but dried up though. At least for now, but I can hope to see the day when garage based equipment and off the shelf metal stock can be made with a lathe, spot welder, and probably a full CNC machine to allow me to make my whole combloc-looking 270 Winchester.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline fantasyrunner

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 10:08:23 »
For sure racing cars. You wait your whole life to be able to afford these things only to find out how expensive it is to race them

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 10:41:31 »
For sure racing cars. You wait your whole life to be able to afford these things only to find out how expensive it is to race them

"You think one set of carbon ceramic brakes is expensive?? What about buying a new set every track day!!"
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline moosekeyboards

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 07:55:18 »
yacht racing

Offline Symmetrics

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 04:19:15 »
I've been getting more and more into coffee as of recent and holy hell is equipment expensive.
I really want to start making quality espresso drinks and the thought of dropping thousands of dollars onto semi-commercial grade machines which need yearly maintenance seems dubious.

Still, it's something I'm passionate about and looking to slowly buy my way into eventually.

Offline hvontres

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 12:34:24 »

"You think one set of carbon ceramic brakes is expensive?? What about buying a new set every track day!!"

Vintage Car Racing....I always wonder how the insurance agents feel watching something like the Goodwood revival where people flog vintage metal around a track.
Henry von Tresckow

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 13:52:34 »
Car racing. I'd love to get my own project car but I don't have the time/money/knowledge for it, and I certainly do not have the space....

Sailing. Would love to be in a position to own a yacht or a powerboat someday.

I'd also love to build my own house. Not by hand, but be a part of the architecural design and the construction/interior design from beginning to end, I guess this isn't really a hobby though.

« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2021, 08:49:02 by yqqdrasil »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 21:49:53 »
I would also love to privately fund, develop, and publish a huge AAA game with no big corporate fingers in the pie. Just go 100% buck wild with design ideas and content.

Just imagine if someone privately funded a $200 million game with no executives, PMs,  investors, or regulations. Hiring creatives across many industries I have always admired to work on it with no time limit or budget constraints.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 18:55:21 »
All of the trouble I could get into with a 5-axis CNC or alternatively (or maybe in conjunction with) a massive kitted out garage for cars.

I would also love to privately fund, develop, and publish a huge AAA game with no big corporate fingers in the pie. Just go 100% buck wild with design ideas and content.

Just imagine if someone privately funded a $200 million game with no executives, PMs,  investors, or regulations. Hiring creatives across many industries I have always admired to work on it with no time limit or budget constraints.

Make sure you bring onboard quality management and directors so you don't spend nearly a decade working on a title that runs like a potato and lacks basic things like police AI.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 December 2020, 18:57:12 by Asininity »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 16:28:38 »
All of the trouble I could get into with a 5-axis CNC or alternatively (or maybe in conjunction with) a massive kitted out garage for cars.

Make sure you bring onboard quality management and directors so you don't spend nearly a decade working on a title that runs like a potato and lacks basic things like police AI.

Part of me very much wants a decade long project that is ever evolving with consistent new challenges and pitfalls to overcome. It would make me feel useful and my life worth living again.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 17:37:29 »

You'd probably break it, it's a full time advanced job to do 5-axis. This ain' our crappy 2.5d keyboard where you can casual it.

Offline hvontres

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 20:20:38 »

You'd probably break it, it's a full time advanced job to do 5-axis. This ain' our crappy 2.5d keyboard where you can casual it.

If AVE can manage to keep it going, others can too. Just make sure you have your own version of Prudence the safety goat :)
Henry von Tresckow

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 21:01:29 »
I would love to get into synths, and I'd probably be happy with something basic and entry level, but I think learning to make patches is more time than I can afford.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 16:05:14 »

Part of me very much wants a decade long project that is ever evolving with consistent new challenges and pitfalls to overcome. It would make me feel useful and my life worth living again.

What if it was never completed, and never saw distribution? I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong or selfish in pursuing a project for ones self. That psychological boon can be an end in itself. However, a video game created by a team is to me something for which whose purpose is to be played by others. Not to do so would be like creating an interactive exhibit, having it at a museum, but never allowing anyone to interact with it. Few enjoy having someone else (or themselves) ordering them to focus and get a job done. I get a lot more done on work projects than my own, for example. As much as directors, managers, and the like can be frustrating (and bad ones counterproductive) they are at the very least a necessary annoyance.

Or maybe I'm simply taking this entire "dream hobbies" thing a wee bit too seriously. 

If I have the money to buy a 5-axis CNC I have the money to pay someone the big bucks to tell me not how to ruin it. For example, hire AvE to insult me in Canadian.

If AVE can manage to keep it going, others can too. Just make sure you have your own version of Prudence the safety goat :)

Time to see how much it'd cost to hire him.

Offline CosminOance

• 'tis the season to be yourself
    • PixelDrama.club by Cosmin Oance
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 11:19:30 »
I'd start watchmaking, but a Chinese clone watch lathe is $10k, forget about a swiss one. And that is just one tool. :eek:

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 14:20:08 »

Vintage Car Racing....I always wonder how the insurance agents feel watching something like the Goodwood revival where people flog vintage metal around a track.

last I remember, it's not that bad since the vehicle is normally not intended for standard road use - so it would be insured differently and if something did happen I can bet it wouldn't be reported to insurance lol.
I would love to get back into AutoX and tracking cars again, I do miss it.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Asininity

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 16:43:08 »
I'd start watchmaking, but a Chinese clone watch lathe is $10k, forget about a swiss one. And that is just one tool. :eek:

That's incredible. I'm assuming that the tolerances must be incredibly tight, but for $10K I wonder if it'd be easier to get a machine shop to fab some parts and just buy the chuck.

Offline CosminOance

• 'tis the season to be yourself
    • PixelDrama.club by Cosmin Oance
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 20:54:01 »
I guess it's a bit like keyboard prototypes. Since you're requesting a unique item and need the manufacturer to stick to some really exact measurements, the cost of fabricating all the bits and pieces would probably amount to something astronomical.
More so when those bits and pieces have specific angles and shapes, which you can't estimate and won't even know if they're correct or not, until you actually try doing something with them.

But watchmaking in general is full of tools that have astronomical prices. Think a simple file, 300$. WHY? Well, it probably is a very good file :) You can't fabricate quality, I guess.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 18:52:08 »
Was looking into the cost of building a bare bones private 1-2 mile race track. Turns out quite expensive.
You are talking $10-20 million with no bells and whistles. Just asphalt in a circle.

Offline yui

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 01:04:27 »
Was looking into the cost of building a bare bones private 1-2 mile race track. Turns out quite expensive.
You are talking $10-20 million with no bells and whistles. Just asphalt in a circle.
actually that would be nice to have :)
an other hobby to add to the list :
Gem cutting
metal working
PC modding
woodworking
car modding
cnc machining
robotics
and now own a racetrack :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 12:59:05 »
I've got a few hobbies that I'd be interested in getting into if I ever have the money / space / time for them. High end and custom PC building, for one. Being able to afford the bleeding edge of tech, and also being able to do some of the projects I've dreamed about for a while easily. Getting the parts to build an emulation rig in the case of a GameCube (I'd go for a nonfunctional console, of course - not going to destroy one of an ever-decreasing amount of working hardware.) wouldn't necessarily be the most expensive thing out there, for example, but the time investment would be... somewhat hefty.

Second? Learning what I consider the interesting parts of manufacturing. Lathe work, laser cutters, machining, PCB manufacture, 3D printing, and more I can't think of at the moment; I find all of it incredibly interesting and I would love to know more about it (though I've done 3D printing in the past, it was all on printers that didn't belong to me, and I don't have the room for one right now), and would love to assemble something that I've built every part of - a keyboard, some sort of fidget toy to help manage my nervous ADHD energy at work, some sort of robotics thing. I don't exactly know, I just find the processes interesting and would love to do more of that work.

Last one I can think of at the moment is that I kind of want to give learning coding another shot. This one is easily the most achievable of the 3, for me, at the moment. The only issue is the time investment necessary in learning to code - around my current job, and some of the uncertainties I have at the moment around the temp -> perm employee conversion process I'll be going through for the next couple of weeks, I don't really have much time to focus on something that would be as time consuming as learning to code. Maybe in a month or two, once things have settled down, and I'm back in my groove at work and can focus on more time consuming hobbies, I'll be able to actually sink some time into this one without worrying about whether or not I'll need to start job hunting again.

Offline Thoughtfork

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 17:17:15 »
I would like to own a large plot of land. I would then put various structures onto that land (buildings, broken buildings, campgrounds, etc.). I would then like to allow large scale warfare to take place there, most likely in the form of paintball fights. My dream is to get a large group of friends and acquaintances and spend months on the land camping, scouting, living off care packages, strategizing, and fighting wars. This is a real game of attrition. Food is limited, people might starve. The game may be fake, but the mental consequences are not. Whoever gets hit has to pack up and go home, and the winners have a fun story.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 14:27:15 »
Billionaire Fighting Giant Death Robot Battle

Here at BFGDRB we specialize in two things and two things only. Building giant death robots, and battling giant death robots togeather in the desert.
We know our clientele is looking for a unique and exhilarating experience on which to spend their vast fortunes, which is why we provide a service no one else does.
We hire the finest engineers and mechanics to customize, design, and build your giant death robot to your exact specifications.
Upon project completion our betting windows open up to the public and your giant death robot is entered into the bracket, going against some of the most rich and powerful figures in the world and their giant death robots.

Don't just sit on your money and watch it rot, live out your childhood dream, do something cool and contact Billionaire Fighting Giant Death Robot Battle today for your free consultation!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 14:35:54 »
The concept of large fighting robots only make sense in fantasy, because in reality, you can't have weapons that blow up. That makes everything basically like bumper cars and uninteresting. This is why battle bots had a hard time continuing, no body wants to keep building the same bots. The audience also tires quickly.

NOW, if they did battle robots + Gambling, that could be a huge untapped market. IDK why they haven't done this.