Author Topic: Videocards availability and mining  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Merfus

Videocards availability and mining
« on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 05:34:43 »
I would like to know if there are any difficulties with availability of videocards in your country? I am from Russia and we LITERALLY have all cards sold x2 or x3 of the original price. It started in mid-January when bitcoin went up and continues to this day.

Offline yui

Re: Videocards availability and mining
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 05:48:18 »
there is a worldwide silicon fab shortage, the fabs can't produce enough and neither gpu makers expected to sell that many cards, so did not reserve enough of the production, even if mining was out of the equation we would have a shortage, although maybe the price would be a bit lower if they were not profitable at 2 to 3x msrp
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 09:05:54 »
And now they are talking production cuts for at least another month and a half due to drought. yay.
Don't expect card to buy a card at retail price for about a year but I do expect them to come back down a little on the used market once people have spent their stimulus.

By the way, you almost can't even buy complete systems with them at this point, had a chance to steal a GPU from a complete the other day for a customer, all Best Buy near me had was a 1650 TI. Best advice now is to get on a wait list if you can find one and treat your current card as if it was worth it's weight in gold.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 March 2021, 09:08:18 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 10:43:26 »
Scumbags have been buying up and scalping graphics cards everywhere for some time because of how they are wanted by crypto-miners.
Bitcoin haven't been "mined" with GPUs for some time, but with dedicated ASIC hardware. Scumbags use GPUs for Etherium and lesser known ones.

IMHO, both categories of scumbags should be lightly killed and ground up into fertiliser for new tree plantations, to offset the CO₂ emissions they had profited on, at least a little.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 10:48:13 »
to be honest i have not used my GPUs for gaming in over a year now, although i only mined for 2 weeks, and only on one out of 5, the rest of  the time they were used for folding (Folding@Home) to aid in Covid19 research, until all my motherboards and power-supplies died.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 13:57:04 »
Scumbags have been buying up and scalping graphics cards everywhere for some time because of how they are wanted by crypto-miners.
Bitcoin haven't been "mined" with GPUs for some time, but with dedicated ASIC hardware. Scumbags use GPUs for Etherium and lesser known ones.

IMHO, both categories of scumbags should be lightly killed and ground up into fertiliser for new tree plantations, to offset the CO₂ emissions they had profited on, at least a little.

people who pay reseller prices are equally as stupid and guilty as the human trash resellers

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 16:07:57 »
They did have stock, they sold it all to miners who bought in bulk.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 23:27:25 »
Stop blaming miners
They're an easy target but if they were the problem we would have never seen 20 series prices reach stability. 2080s were not fetching these prices, neither were 1080s and Nvidia has stated they actually made more 3080s than the other 80's because they were concerned.

This all started a bit over 2 years ago and it wasn't during the mining craze.
For years Intel had stagnated as had gaming, what changed was high refresh rates/1440p/4k gaming and AMD pushing core count. Suddenly 4 cores and a 960 wasn't enough. Everyone has been scrambling to upgrade ever since. Think about Black Friday sales the last few years, it wasn't just GPUS sold out, it was CPUs as well, miners don't care about 6 cores for mining much less 8, 12 or 16. They also are not the ones buying up the 650 and 750 watt SFX power supplies. And then Covid hit and everyone was staying home, bored and stimulus check burning a hole in their pocket.

Yes, miners had an impact but the truth is it's gamers who created this shortage and scalpers cashed in on it, they honed their craft on sneakers, moved into game consoles and now GPUs.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 04:48:32 »
It certainly didn't help that nVidia was said to have sold US$175 million worth of Ampere GPUs directly to miners. Yes, I understand that business is business, but that certainly exacerbated the supply shortage situation.....

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 05:01:46 »
relatively speaking 175 millions worth of 1400$ card is not that much, pretty much a drop in the ocean, it was the stupidest PR move ever, and nVidia has done some stupid **** in the past already, and it does not explain the high end AMD cpu and gpu shortage, does it? miners would take the lowest end cpu possible to keep power at the lowest possible, so likely go intel i3 or lower, and those are not in short supply.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 March 2021, 21:41:58 »
With a little luck you can actually get a 3090.
I've seen 3090's in stock, I have yet to see any other 3000 or 6700 series.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sniping

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 12:47:56 »
not even that excited about the cards anymore. $1000 graphics card? who am i kidding? i'm good.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 12:57:38 »
I can't even look at r/hardware swap without getting pissed off, so now I have to avoid it.  The pricing people are putting these cards up for is ridiculous - I'll be sticking w/ my 1080ti till prices normalize again.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 13:26:11 »
Here's the thing..  of All the things in this world that SHOULD be $1000,  GPU, completely justifiable.

Some crummy CNC Keyboard case for $500, GTFO..   In terms of precision machining, a GPU represents Micron scale worksmenship.   Cnc keyboard cases in relative terms is the equivalent of nailing a bunch of 2x4s together.

So it comes down to perspective, and I do believe many of these young people have been duped and led astray.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 15:40:53 »
we should round up all the resellers, botters, and scalpers into some sort of camp...

But what really pisses me off is product scarcity has become the new norm and most people accept it and roll over, which only exacerbates the issue. I strongly feel we need Federal regulation in place to stop scalping. These people should be doing jail time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 March 2021, 15:43:17 by noisyturtle »

Offline yui

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 01:42:26 »
Here's the thing..  of All the things in this world that SHOULD be $1000,  GPU, completely justifiable.

Some crummy CNC Keyboard case for $500, GTFO..   In terms of precision machining, a GPU represents Micron scale worksmenship.   Cnc keyboard cases in relative terms is the equivalent of nailing a bunch of 2x4s together.

So it comes down to perspective, and I do believe many of these young people have been duped and led astray.

economies of scales TP, when you make 10000000 gpu you will have specialized equipment that will make you save time, and money, when you make 500 case you will not, so each one will cost you a lot more than if you made 10000 of them.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 05:05:13 »
Completely disagree.
GPU is the least one worth the money, it's the first part to age-out. They're disposable.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 07:41:32 »
Completely disagree.
GPU is the least one worth the money, it's the first part to age-out. They're disposable.

The NEW, or a NEW GPU does MORE than the one that came before it. This is progress.

The NEW $500 keyboard does exactly the same thing as the $5 one we all had before getting into the hobby.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 12:14:52 »
If they want the new part to sell more, then it needs to be priced as such or else it will sit there collecting dust due to people holding onto the older hardware that still gets the job done.  I was all for getting a 3080 at or close enough to the MSRP (+/-$50 to $100 depending on the variant), but these prices are higher than some meth heads around this area.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 08:29:59 »
Completely disagree.

The NEW, or a NEW GPU does MORE than the one that came before it. This is progress.

The NEW $500 keyboard does exactly the same thing as the $5 one we all had before getting into the hobby.

If you paid $500 and it does nothing more than the $5 one then that's on you. It may perform the same job, but you paid for extra features. A Honda will get you to work just as fast as a Mercedes.

Disposable does not exclude improvement.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More