Author Topic: [IC] Nimbus 60 - Fully Levitating Plate Magnet Mount - Locked till Proto arrival  (Read 15646 times)

Offline JJ48_24

Nimbus 60

268476-0

The Nimbus 60 is a magnet-mounted board with a stylish exposed rear weight. The board has options for HHKB, WKL, and WK tops. The mount on the Nimbus allows the plate to have no contact with the rest of the case using 12 internal N35 magnets. The Nimbus uses a unique mounting system differing from the Lodestone and Orca 60 which use a gasket between the top of the case and the plate. The Nimbus uses no gaskets making the first board to have no contact between the plate and case.

IC Form forms.gle/fjJZNUTPWMkossDS7
Discord discord.gg/KD4qnJ34Hs

Renders
268478-1
268480-2
268482-3
The Board will be available in E-white, clear anodized, E-black, and a fourth color option to be decided by the community.

PCB/Layout
The PCB for the Nimbus utilizes the universal daughterboard to allow maximum unimpeded flex. The universal daughterboard also includes ESD protection. There will be options for soldered and hotswap PCBs with the soldered PCB supporting split backspace, stepped caps, and split shift. The only bottom row layout support is Tsangan to improve the appearance of the plate.

Release Timing
Prototypes should be arriving within 2 weeks. If there are no corrections necessary on the prototype, the board should run within a month of proto arrival.

Options

Plate
- Aluminum
- Polycarbonate
- Polycarbonate Half

PCB
- Hotswap
- Solderd

Layout
- HHKB
- WKL
- WK

Color
- E-White
- E-Black
- Anodized Clear
- 4th community chosen color

Pricing/Avalibility
Pricing will be dependent on demand but the estimate is $450-$600, planning to do a near unlimited international GB.
Vendors
Worldwide - JKeys.Design

Update - 5/16/21

-I understand that some of you are concerned with my credibility given my age however, this is not my first GB. I have already fulfilled the Gentleman 65 GB which was produced in-house and ran in late December 2020. All of the legal and financial matters are handled by my business partner. If you don't feel comfortable with this please don't join the group buy. I am sure there will be plenty of extras!

-Given the concerns regarding the IC not having a proto, I will be machining an aluminum proto with the interior design of the Nimbus this week. The proto from my manufacturer will arrive in about 2 weeks.

-I have decided to show some pictures of the mount to clarify how it works.

268538-4

The mount uses four magnets in the bottom case, four magnets encased in the plate, and four magnets in the top piece. The magnets on the bottom are larger to account for the weight of the Plate-PCB assembly. The plate is stabilized through strategic internal positioning of the magnets to create an inward force on the plate(not shown in the render).
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 May 2021, 12:29:28 by JJ48_24 »

Offline JJ48_24

Re: [IC] Nimbus 60 - Fully Levitating Plate Magnet Mount
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:04:45 »
Please take a minute or two to fill out the survey! The best way to stay update with the board is to join the discord so please do so if you are interested!

IC Form forms.gle/fjJZNUTPWMkossDS7
Discord discord.gg/KD4qnJ34Hs
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:06:52 by JJ48_24 »

Offline Aegis

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:12:13 »
Looks dope! Super excited for this one.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:12:24 »
What is this witchcraft

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:12:47 »
Hey mate, any more information about how this magnet system works ? I could see six top and six bottom magnets holding it in place, you'd need six magnets on the plate as well though at least and magnets on the side to prevent it from bouncing off the edges of the case wouldn't you?

Offline JJ48_24

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:14:05 »
Hey mate, any more information about how this magnet system works ? I could see six top and six bottom magnets holding it in place, you'd need six magnets on the plate as well though at least and magnets on the side to prevent it from bouncing off the edges of the case wouldn't you?
the system uses 4 magnets in the plate 4 magnets on the bottom and 4 magnets on the top. Unfortunately I can not give too much more info, but I can assure you there will be no lateral movemeant.

Offline well_cooper

• Turn metal in to typing machine
    • Thocc Supply
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:18:12 »
This is dope, GLWIC

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:20:07 »
the system uses 4 magnets in the plate 4 magnets on the bottom and 4 magnets on the top. Unfortunately I can not give too much more info, but I can assure you there will be no lateral movemeant.
Do you have a prototype?

Offline JJ48_24

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:26:31 »
Do you have a prototype?
If you read the ic it states that the porto will be arriving in a few weeks!

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:29:00 »
Alrighty then, I'll reserve judgement until the proto ships, I personally don't think you'll be able to fully isolate it with just 12 magnets, it would need some form of alignment pins if the magnets are in repel/repel to stop it skating off the side, if they're in attract/attract it won't skate off the side but it will instantly crash into the top or bottom and won't float. but hey, maybe you know more about magnets than I do.

Offline JJ48_24

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:31:24 »
Alrighty then, I'll reserve judgement until the proto ships, I personally don't think you'll be able to fully isolate it with just 12 magnets, it would need some form of alignment pins if the magnets are in repel/repel to stop it skating off the side, if they're in attract/attract it won't skate off the side but it will instantly crash into the top or bottom and won't float. but hey, maybe you know more about magnets than I do.
Like I said there is a solution to the issue I just cant share it.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:33:22 »
Looking forward to seeing how the mounting system looks in the future.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:35:42 »
interested

Offline ai06L

• SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:39:33 »
this is amazing. btw, have you designed any magnetic shielding, it would be nice to enjoy this board without killing my watches and banks cards :)
Collection: Keycult No.1, 8XV2.0 Additional Ano silver WKL, FC660C Novatouched, Polaris, 8XV2.0 Additional coated black CWKL, Vega E-white, Vega Grey, Novatouch, Jelly Epoch SE

Waiting to ship: Cruelworld 60, 8XV3.0 light grey WKL

Offline JJ48_24

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:53:21 »
this is amazing. btw, have you designed any magnetic shielding, it would be nice to enjoy this board without killing my watches and banks cards :)

Honestly didn't think about that, for sure something that I need to look into

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 01:10:58 »
1. Will you be considering other vendors? Near unlimited GB is not easy at all
2. Is this your first proto? Has there been any testing for the mount other than the proto that is shipping soon?
3. You are, understandably, reserved regarding the details of the internals. That said, there are still many crucial information missing in the main IC post. Please consider adding the following information.
Adjusted front height, typing angle, unbuilt mass, plate renders (any cuts? Standoff locations if any?), hotswap PCB layout and renders of more than 2 angles.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 01:27:07 »
Damn a floating plate this is wild.

Future's now old man :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 02:41:12 »
HOVERBOARD

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 03:56:48 »
Looking forward to seeimg the proto. Would getting an exploded view of the mounting system be a possibility?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 06:53:56 »
So, you expect to sell a board for $400-$700 with a "new" mounting style without showing the internals?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 May 2021, 07:03:52 by Rafa_n »

Offline Timber Mech

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 07:09:53 »
So, you expect to sell a board for $400-$700 with a "new" mounting style without showing the internals?

Yep, if the design is so unique and you want to protect it, then there are legal paths for that. This community wants to know the how and why - and will commit if the end product is tantalising enough.

It's a very interesting concept, and a video of the plate mounting setup would certainly propel the GB along.

Offline Garner

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 07:27:22 »
It's an interesting concept. I'm curious to what you believe the technical advantage would be using magnets in terms of sound, vibrations, sturdiness, etc. compared to other mounting systems?

I can see how it will provide a unique way for the plate to flex but how do you think it will handle vibrations and unwanted sound when the plate is floating and air/sound pass freely around it?

Offline Juan.

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 08:19:36 »
make the entire keyboard levitate, i want a flying keyboard. 2 so i can stand on them and float, thank you.
rubber cup   

Offline Volny

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 08:43:35 »
I'm not into small boards, so wouldn't purchase this myself, but I must admit it does sound pretty cool.

As well as what others have said, I'd be curious if such strong magnets would have any effect on nearby switch springs (eg. Making them stiffer or pushing them against stems to increase scratchiness?)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 09:26:31 »
1. Will you be considering other vendors? Near unlimited GB is not easy at all
2. Is this your first proto? Has there been any testing for the mount other than the proto that is shipping soon?
3. You are, understandably, reserved regarding the details of the internals. That said, there are still many crucial information missing in the main IC post. Please consider adding the following information.
Adjusted front height, typing angle, unbuilt mass, plate renders (any cuts? Standoff locations if any?), hotswap PCB layout and renders of more than 2 angles.
The kk did all the work for me :)  No treeleaf needed
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Dopamine

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 09:40:27 »
Can you please show how the maglev system works?

Offline unknownh

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 13:35:46 »

Ah yes, relatively new maker, lots of spelling mistakes a 300 USD range in price... are you're not going to show us know the keyboard we are going to buy is going to work... BUT TRUST US WITH YOUR $$$ I ASSURE you there will be no lateral "movemeant"

What a joke.

Look at this, dude's like 14, but yes trust him with your money...
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/ndh5rm/ic_nimbus_60_fully_levitating_plate_magnet_mount/gybgdhk/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

TGR-Jane v2
 | TGR X SINGA UNIKORN 60 | Duck TC-V3 | Geonworks F1.69 | EX: GS "GUGA" 60 | yoot Calliope - XTFRLWKLTKL | AEK64 SKCM Browns | unknown60 WKL (x2) unknown60 WK (x2) RAMAWORKS M65-A RAMAWORKS KOYU RAMAWORKS M60-A |HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 2 

https://imgur.com/ntJaJ1c.png[/img]

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 14:42:02 »
this sounds interresting and I would buy it, but I need some more visualization, for example a prototype build done by Alexotos or Taeha to see the board with some switches and keycaps in order to decide wheter or not I would buy it. It does looks good and I would consider it for now if I get a good typing test and if the price doesn't skyrocket because the demand isn't high enough (400-500)

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 14:57:20 »
Magnets?! How do they work?

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 15:09:52 »

Like many others, I am highly skeptical of this IC:

1. The price range is too high, $300 of variation tells us either the design is incomplete or you don't know what interest will be like.

2. You can't make claims like "fully levitating" without having some form of proof of concept. You've provided no internal renders, yet claim that there will be no lateral movement. While this doesn't sound impossible, it does sound very difficult. If you're concerned about IP, you can always patent your design. But to make incredible claims with no proof-of-concept   leaves me, and others, skeptical.

3. Is this your first board? If so, I'd recommend a smaller quantity GB like 50-150 units. Don't get greedy. An unlimited groupbuy implies you expect 1000+ orders, and at that quantity, you're most definitely taking advantage of economies of scale.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 15:14:00 »
Wait, my friend you're 15     Pls dont run group buy!!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 15:25:09 »
Explain your mounting system or the IC is useless. People would only put their money into something that they can understand / believe in.

Offline JJ48_24

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 15:39:59 »
Wait, my friend you're 15     Pls dont run group buy!!
I have already successfully ran a GB for the Gentleman 65. The board was also made in-house. I don't think that my credibility should be a concearn.

Offline JJ48_24

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 15:50:52 »

Like many others, I am highly skeptical of this IC:

1. The price range is too high, $300 of variation tells us either the design is incomplete or you don't know what interest will be like.

2. You can't make claims like "fully levitating" without having some form of proof of concept. You've provided no internal renders, yet claim that there will be no lateral movement. While this doesn't sound impossible, it does sound very difficult. If you're concerned about IP, you can always patent your design. But to make incredible claims with no proof-of-concept   leaves me, and others, skeptical.

3. Is this your first board? If so, I'd recommend a smaller quantity GB like 50-150 units. Don't get greedy. An unlimited groupbuy implies you expect 1000+ orders, and at that quantity, you're most definitely taking advantage of economies of scale.

1. I understand that this is a very large price range, however, I was quite unsure of the interest would be shown. The IC will be updated with a more accurate estimate.

2. More information regarding the mount will be included in the next update.

3. I have already ran a 200 unit GB so I have experience with manufacturing and fulfillment.

Offline Coby

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 16:05:54 »
More renders please, glwic

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 16:46:19 »
Explain your mounting system or the IC is useless. People would only put their money into something that they can understand / believe in.

Maybe 4 years ago this was true. Not anymore.

Plus, sending a few proto's to the popular streamers will alleviate any concerns most people will have. Relying on a blown-up image means nothing if you can watch someone talk through building a case.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 16:50:03 »

Plus, sending a few proto's to the popular streamers will alleviate any concerns most people will have. Relying on a blown-up image means nothing if you can watch someone talk through building a case.

Not true at all.

Sending protos to popular streamers does the exact same thing - the streamers will explain how the board is put together. No one's going to buy it if they don't know how it's put together / works. I just don't see the point of NOT showing the internals if people are going to find out later anyway through a streamer? You think the streamer's also going to keep this a secret and say "just buy it"? Not a chance lol... otherwise I'd be impressed if you could show me a single keyboard that went to GB without the mounting system being shown / revealed.

e: and I'm not even doubting the OP. I'm just pointing out that never in the history of ever has there been a keyboard group buy based on a secret... people join keyboard GBs when they know what they're buying
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 May 2021, 16:55:54 by Ustinj »

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 16:56:28 »

Not true at all.

Sending protos to popular streamers does the exact same thing - the streamers will explain how the board is put together. No one's going to buy it if they don't know how it's put together / works. I just don't see the point of NOT showing the internals if people are going to find out later anyway through a streamer? You think the streamer's also going to keep this a secret and say "just buy it"? Not a chance lol... otherwise I'd be impressed if you could show me a single keyboard that went to GB without the mounting system being shown / revealed.

ROFL, keeping things a secret...Right dude, I'm sure that's exactly what the OP is doing here.

There's 100+ keyboards that have gone to GB and been successful without showing the internals. Pay more attention.

If you don't like the internals not being shown, don't buy it. In this absolutely stupid market we're in, people will buy anything. Especially if streamers like it. You  don't speak for anyone here, and never confuse you not buying something with the overall market.

Offline Iksion

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:00:28 »
Any protos?
KBD75v1 | Kira | Melody96 | TX75v2 | TX-CP | hbcp | Keycult No.2 rev.1 | NK65 | Duck Octagon v3 | Percent Volt | TX65v2 | KY-01 | Sunsetter | Mr. Suit | J-01 | Dolphin 2021 | Phase One 65 | KBD8x Mark ii

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:08:10 »

Not true at all.

ROFL, keeping things a secret...Right dude, I'm sure that's exactly what the OP is doing here.

There's 100+ keyboards that have gone to GB and been successful without showing the internals. Pay more attention.

If you don't like the internals not being shown, don't buy it. In this absolutely stupid market we're in, people will buy anything. Especially if streamers like it. You  don't speak for anyone here, and never confuse you not buying something with the overall market.

Give me an example of a board with a "new novel mounting system" that has gone to GB without anyone knowing how the board is mounted.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:10:09 by Ustinj »

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:12:24 »
This has to be the funniest IC that I have seen so far.

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:14:06 »

are you daft?you quite literally said the same thing by saying the board would be sent to a streamer or it would have to be demonstrated to "alleviate any concerns most people will have"
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:23:58 »

are you daft?you quite literally said the same thing by saying the board would be sent to a streamer or it would have to be demonstrated to "alleviate any concerns most people will have"

Go back and read what he wrote. He clearly said no one would buy it unless he posted an exploded view in this IC, which simply isn't true. I pointed out exactly how it could be shown and how it will still sell.

So my question to you...Are you daft?

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:26:20 »

Not true at all.

Give me an example of a board with a "new novel mounting system" that has gone to GB without anyone knowing how the board is mounted.

That's not what you said at all. You said no board would sell unless an IC contains an exploded view of the internals, which again, is 100% not true.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:33:16 »

Go back and read what he wrote. He clearly said no one would buy it unless he posted an exploded view in this IC, which simply isn't true. I pointed out exactly how it could be shown and how it will still sell.

So my question to you...Are you daft?

Public builds and streams are part of the IC is it not? I did not ask for an exploded view specifically, I said that if the mounting system is not explained, then the IC is useless. If it gets explained by a streamer, then the system is explained. Did the OP mention anything about sending the board to streamers? It seems more likely that he's going to explain it himself with a prototype demo. Bottom line my original point still stands and is 100% true. I'm not aware of any KB group buy that has completed where a new + unknown mounting system was not explained, still waiting for you to share that with me..

"People would only put their money into something that they can understand / believe in." definitely does not translate to "no one would buy it unless he posted an exploded view in this IC". If streamers build it and explain it then viewers will understand / believe in it. But I am not going to go back and forth with you, seems you were clearly confused on what I meant in my original comment.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:35:09 »

That's not what you said at all. You said no board would sell unless an IC contains an exploded view of the internals, which again, is 100% not true.

Show me anywhere that I asked for an exploded view of anything, send me a private message so we don't clog up the thread lol

Offline ratratrat

Re: [IC] Nimbus 60 - Fully Levitating Plate Magnet Mount - 5/16 Update
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:47:57 »
As mentioned before, regard this user with EXTREME skepticism.

He's been attempting to hide his age by deleting posts where he admits what grade he was in school.

https://archive.is/oU3bf

If he was in 8th grade in October 2019, that puts him at 14-15 years old today.

His reddit account is 4 years old.

That means he was 10 or 11 when he created it and likely will be permanently suspended for being an useraged  user when he created the account.

Also, lots of questions about having a 14-15 year old run an unlimited group buy. Who's actually handling the money?

Also, no prototypes. Just renders.

Mega sus all the way around.

Offline NightRye_

• keebs n' fluff
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:48:47 »
How soft or tight do you think this moun could be? This looks super interesting and I am extremely curious about how it sounds too.

Sent from my SM-M115F using Tapatalk

Offline Pontus

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 17:49:09 »
uh yeah this sure is something.