Author Topic: [IC] Nimbus 60 - Fully Levitating Plate Magnet Mount - Locked till Proto arrival  (Read 15645 times)

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
Re: [IC] Nimbus 60 - Fully Levitating Plate Magnet Mount - 5/16 Update
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 18:03:30 »
Gent turned out great, so I'll be watching this closely.

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 19:02:35 »
Wondering how a mounting design will even work. Like, it looks like there’s a good chance of magnets interfering with a case when pressed off center. The last “render” does not help to clarify this.

That’s all being said, looking forward to a prototype together with a video proving that the design indeed work. Please make a sound test as well, if possible.

Offline rokon07

• Reddit: u/rokon-07 | Discord: rokon07#2203
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 22:32:23 »
Hope you can bring this to reality. Looking forward to seeing the proto and if the internals are actually effective. Glwic
Keycult 1/60 Rev.1 | KL90 | Keycult 2/65 Red| Keycult No2 Contemporary Red | Sat75 | Rama M60a

Offline Volny

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 22:36:07 »
Lost in all the (understandably) suspicious asking of IF and HOW questions is the fact that no one thus far has addressed the more fundamental question of WHY.

What will the maglev actually offer the user? Will it be quiet because of the physical isolation of the plate, or reverberant because of the lack of sealed walls? Will the magnets be strong enough to prevent contact when thumping the keys hard? If so, won't that feel kind of like there are no magnets at all, but just a solid surface? These and other questions of the sort should be addressed.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 22:46:00 »
Lost in all the (understandably) suspicious asking of IF and HOW questions is the fact that no one thus far has addressed the more fundamental question of WHY.

What will the maglev actually offer the user? Will it be quiet because of the physical isolation of the plate, or reverberant because of the lack of sealed walls? Will the magnets be strong enough to prevent contact when thumping the keys hard? If so, won't that feel kind of like there are no magnets at all, but just a solid surface? These and other questions of the sort should be addressed.

Cause "innovation" go brrr

Offline brunosan_.

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 23:02:09 »
interesting  :thumb:

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 23:02:59 »

These things are usually well explained by using an internal render or by showing the working but I think the answer to most questions on this thread has been "It's a secret" so I'd assume the same goes here too?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 23:03:59 »
As mentioned before, regard this user with EXTREME skepticism.

He's been attempting to hide his age by deleting posts where he admits what grade he was in school.

https://archive.is/oU3bf

If he was in 8th grade in October 2019, that puts him at 14-15 years old today.

His reddit account is 4 years old.

That means he was 10 or 11 when he created it and likely will be permanently suspended for being an useraged  user when he created the account.

Also, lots of questions about having a 14-15 year old run an unlimited group buy. Who's actually handling the money?

Also, no prototypes. Just renders.

Mega sus all the way around.
Bump

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline oyinbo_pikin

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 23:08:53 »
The secrecy stems from OP wanting to patent his magnetic suspension mounting system. They fear that someone would steal their mounting system, at least that is what I gathered from their response on Discord.

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 23:12:03 »
The secrecy stems from OP wanting to patent his magnetic suspension mounting system. They fear that someone would steal their mounting system, at least that is what I gathered from their response on Discord.

maybe OP should learn terms like "prior art" and "obviousness" before mommy and daddy shell out for an intellectual property lawyer

Offline JJ48_24

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 23:19:47 »

The magnet mount is intended to create a very isolated mount. The goal is to almost completely isolate switch noise. The thickness and grade of the magnets will be tuned based on information from the proto. The final product will most likely include multiple strengths of magnets so users can choose between a flexy mount and a harder mount. There is quite a large gap to the bottom of the case so hitting the bottom will not be an issue.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 01:48:46 »
I can't give a **** about the dude's age if he does deliver a good product

That said, would need to see prototype + built by a reputable streamer. That should alleviate a lot of concerns.

And a piece of advice: if you're 15, please don't do an unlimited GB without a vendor

GLWIC

Offline Banned

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 02:43:00 »
As mentioned before, regard this user with EXTREME skepticism.

He's been attempting to hide his age by deleting posts where he admits what grade he was in school.

https://archive.is/oU3bf

If he was in 8th grade in October 2019, that puts him at 14-15 years old today.

His reddit account is 4 years old.

That means he was 10 or 11 when he created it and likely will be permanently suspended for being an useraged  user when he created the account.

Also, lots of questions about having a 14-15 year old run an unlimited group buy. Who's actually handling the money?

Also, no prototypes. Just renders.

Mega sus all the way around.

brother... prob half the gbs ran are by underage ppl, as well as he said that protos are coming the next two weeks. he ran Gentleman65 successfully with his partner, who I assume is above the legal age. you guys need to listen before jumping on the bandwagon

Offline Banned

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 02:44:33 »

maybe OP should learn terms like "prior art" and "obviousness" before mommy and daddy shell out for an intellectual property lawyer

you honestly sound hella rude just b/c someone is underage. stop whining and don't join the gb ;)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 02:52:18 »
ITT: People mad because they're not as smart as a 15 year old.

The inward force magnet arrangement is sensible, I had done something similar in CAD but didn't have the balls to proto or test anything. If you've accounted for the weight/angle of the plate assembly properly with magnet placement/strength it should be promising. Looking forward to seeing the prototypes, Orca might have some competition.

I do think a limited group buy would be a wise idea though. For such a unique mount, it might be best to get a smaller round out to people and gather feedback before jumping into something larger.

I think you should speak on your intentions with the patent as well. Do you intend on disallowing anyone in the community from using a similar (magnets with inward force applied) mounting system, or charging a fee for usage? I think that'd be a really ****ing dirty maneuver, especially considering the inspiration you've clearly taken from Lodestone and Orca.

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 May 2021, 04:09:24 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 03:11:28 »
showing photos and talking about a thing, meka it impossible to patent.
once you speak about it, it becomes "prior art"

Offline ratratrat

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 06:00:10 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104704.0 <-- Prior art. His patent would be instantly invalidated.

I guess a 15 year old being cagey about providing more than renders for his 'original idea' despite prior art makes him 'smart.'

The point is simply this: The way he has handled this IC doesn't inspire confidence. Deleting old threads that reveal his age, showing only 3 color swapped and otherwise identical renders, making claims without providing any sort of evidence to allay concerns... Either he's completely in over his head with the realities of a group buy of this complexity or... he's running a scam after doing a 'successful' small time project that required no skill. No shortage of that happening in this hobby.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 May 2021, 06:15:45 by ratratrat »

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 07:54:58 »
I'm sceptic as well but I think we should just wait for the proto..

Offline Reebes

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 09:11:49 »
Lol I know that there are multiple designers out there who’ve run successful group buys with as much or more logistics than average. I’d say give the kid a chance but he already proved himself at some level with a previous design and groupbuy. This hobby attracts a lot of big geeky nerds with big geeky brains, so I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to give constructive feedback now and wait for a proto to be sent to a streamer before dumping on the guy. He obviously understands the logistical side of things well enough so give him a chance to prove himself at least (especially bc he already ran a gb).

As for handling transparency regarding his age well, sure. He didn’t come out and straight up say “btw I’m not really shaving yet” but can you blame him after reading exhibit A: this thread? I was throwing eggs at people’s houses and doing other dumb **** when I was a kid, and you guys crucifying someone who’s already done a group buy for making spelling errors and deleting comments? Are you for real?

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 09:32:29 »
The successful GB under his belt makes me much less skeptical.  The design sounds looks cool.  I also think the higher price point will taper the unlimited GB to a manageable number (IMO of course). No comment on the patent angle... maybe maglev hoverboards are the next alice  :-\

Anywho,  good luck! I'm watching this one and I hope it turns out awesome.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 09:52:57 »
and you guys crucifying someone who’s already done a group buy for making spelling errors and deleting comments? Are you for real?
Welcome to geekhack

Offline Sh1zaru

• Keeb Studio
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 10:09:31 »
Lol I know that there are multiple designers out there who’ve run successful group buys with as much or more logistics than average. I’d say give the kid a chance but he already proved himself at some level with a previous design and groupbuy. This hobby attracts a lot of big geeky nerds with big geeky brains, so I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to give constructive feedback now and wait for a proto to be sent to a streamer before dumping on the guy. He obviously understands the logistical side of things well enough so give him a chance to prove himself at least (especially bc he already ran a gb).

As for handling transparency regarding his age well, sure. He didn’t come out and straight up say “btw I’m not really shaving yet” but can you blame him after reading exhibit A: this thread? I was throwing eggs at people’s houses and doing other dumb **** when I was a kid, and you guys crucifying someone who’s already done a group buy for making spelling errors and deleting comments? Are you for real?

100% agree with this.

Offline Banned

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 10:29:55 »

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104704.0 <-- Prior art. His patent would be instantly invalidated.

I guess a 15 year old being cagey about providing more than renders for his 'original idea' despite prior art makes him 'smart.'

The point is simply this: The way he has handled this IC doesn't inspire confidence. Deleting old threads that reveal his age, showing only 3 color swapped and otherwise identical renders, making claims without providing any sort of evidence to allay concerns... Either he's completely in over his head with the realities of a group buy of this complexity or... he's running a scam after doing a 'successful' small time project that required no skill. No shortage of that happening in this hobby.

Can you explain to me why his age matters
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 May 2021, 10:31:59 by Banned »

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 10:38:23 »

while I seriously doubt this design would be patentable (for example, for being obvious over the Lodestone and/or Orca), you're wrong if you're talking about U.S. law here. Under § 102(b)(1)(A), the inventor can disclose the invention as long as they file within a year of the disclosure. (In the EU, by contrast, my understanding is that any disclosure prior to filing voids the novelty of the invention.)

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
[IC] Nimbus 60 - Fully Levitating Plate Magnet Mount - 5/16 Update
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 13:37:45 »
Reading some of the vitriol on this thread

All I can say is - y'all need therapy. Keyboards alone shouldn't be making you THIS mad

Go outside and have a walk. Everything will be okay.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 May 2021, 15:39:48 by loop | esc lab »

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 21:20:53 »
Reading some of the vitriol on this thread

All I can say is - y'all need therapy. Keyboards alone shouldn't be making you THIS mad

Go outside and have a walk. Everything will be okay.
Keyboards make me very very very very very very very very very very very enthusiastic!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ratratrat

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 22:02:30 »

Well, for starters, it's illegal for him to have a PayPal account. Should anyone contact Paypal about JJ, his account is dead. Funds frozen. He hasn't said who his "business partner" is and whether or not they're handling the finances.

It was illegal for him to create a Reddit account when he did.

As it has been mentioned elsewhere, it's illegal for him to enter into any business contract due to his age... and should he do a runner, good luck going after a minor.

In this hobby, 100% of people who have tried to pull scams on me were underaged. So yes, I do have actual experience to feel like there's something to be wary about here. Since he IS underaged, the burden of proof that his GB should be legitimate is completely upon JJ should anyone raise concerns.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 May 2021, 22:06:23 by ratratrat »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 22:10:55 »
Would like more images of mounting, more than just a cross-section, like how is the maget incased in the plate, metal holders screwed into the plate?.

Offline PradyXT

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 07:41:06 »
I am enjoying reading the replies on this. Anyways, seems like an interesting concept.

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 08:32:23 »

while I seriously doubt this design would be patentable (for example, for being obvious over the Lodestone and/or Orca), you're wrong if you're talking about U.S. law here. Under § 102(b)(1)(A), the inventor can disclose the invention as long as they file within a year of the disclosure. (In the EU, by contrast, my understanding is that any disclosure prior to filing voids the novelty of the invention.)
i've just have a phone call with the man that handle the patents of my company.
we are both right :)

i'm in italy and yes, in UE if you discuss (like in a forum) about your idea, it won't be possible to patent it.

in usa, you have one year to patent something you are disclosing.  :thumb:

Offline Achromous

• noesc.co.uk
    • NOESC
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 08:37:57 »

Well, for starters, it's illegal for him to have a PayPal account. Should anyone contact Paypal about JJ, his account is dead. Funds frozen. He hasn't said who his "business partner" is and whether or not they're handling the finances.

It was illegal for him to create a Reddit account when he did.

As it has been mentioned elsewhere, it's illegal for him to enter into any business contract due to his age... and should he do a runner, good luck going after a minor.

In this hobby, 100% of people who have tried to pull scams on me were underaged. So yes, I do have actual experience to feel like there's something to be wary about here. Since he IS underaged, the burden of proof that his GB should be legitimate is completely upon JJ should anyone raise concerns.

Yes hyper illegal for him to create a Reddit account he's going to jail, or maybe it's just against their terms of service and has no legal repercussions.
Illegal for him to enter a business contract is not true, he can have guarantors who are accepting the burden of risk on his behalf, he is still a signing part of that contract in all likelihood.

What I will say though is undertaking all the vendoring for worldwide on an unlimited group buy is a recipe for trouble although it's not likely that you're not going to reach a purchase count that can cause massive logistical issues still wouldn't be how I would run it. Keep it limited. Eitherway gl.

Offline ratratrat

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 12:27:16 »
Yes hyper illegal for him to create a Reddit account he's going to jail, or maybe it's just against their terms of service and has no legal repercussions.
Illegal for him to enter a business contract is not true, he can have guarantors who are accepting the burden of risk on his behalf, he is still a signing part of that contract in all likelihood.

What I will say though is undertaking all the vendoring for worldwide on an unlimited group buy is a recipe for trouble although it's not likely that you're not going to reach a purchase count that can cause massive logistical issues still wouldn't be how I would run it. Keep it limited. Eitherway gl.

Legality in this case is civil, not criminal. There's no need for you to be disingenuous here by equating it to jail.

It's also a trust issue.

However, civil penalties for knowingly allowing an underaged person to have an account can get pretty steep... and as such, sites like Reddit and Paypal will act swiftly and harshly when they're made aware of such a case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act#Violations

$40,000 fine (minimum) PER INSTANCE.

"Keep(ing) it limited" doesn't change how quickly a buy can go south once JJ gets locked out of his accounts due to underage violations.

A minor cannot engage in any contract, business or otherwise, unless they are emancipated. So unless his business partner is also his guardian, such contracts are unenforceable and likely void. This falls under Capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_(law)

But the tricky part of this whole situation, which falls back into the whole trust issue... He calls the person he is working with his business partner but also says he is his partner's employee. Can't have it both ways. Either a partner or a subordinate, not both.

https://old.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/ndh5rm/ic_nimbus_60_fully_levitating_plate_magnet_mount/gydc3el/