Author Topic: Is Branson an astronaut?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Is Branson an astronaut?
« on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 11:51:00 »
I think that a quickie little up-and-down is not really going to space.

Alan Shepard, well maybe, he went well over twice as high as Branson, but back in the day some Air Force pilots were given astronaut's wings just from flying their planes high enough.

But in my opinion getting into orbit should be the minimum criterion for a realistic claim of a person being an astronaut. Otherwise you have just barely gotten away from Earth's surface, and, of course, actual "escape" is an additional achievement of a much higher order.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline F eq ma

Re: Is Branson an astronaut?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 13:10:47 »
Nope.   Just an ego with way too much money.   To me, being an astronaut is a profession and not a weekend jaunt.

Offline iri

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 14:21:57 »
Branson reached the altitude of 85km vs Gagarin's 327km. Certainly not a cosmonaut grade flight :p
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 14:54:37 »
Some guy on the radio is apparently an “astronaut in the ocean”, so I suppose this is plausible.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 21:24:38 »
But in my opinion getting into orbit should be the minimum criterion for a realistic claim of a person being an astronaut. Otherwise you have just barely gotten away from Earth's surface, and, of course, actual "escape" is an additional achievement of a much higher order.
You can do an orbit without breaching "space", you just can't maintain it for long, also you can go quiet high without doing an orbit.

Height is the only valuable metric, though there is some argument about where "space" actually starts.

Personally, if only to snub Bezos, I vote Branson got there first.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 22:10:39 »
It’s a huge accomplishment, and he’s spending his own money to advance science and explore our world. It’s kind of crappy to denigrate that. We can argue whether an orbit matters, or whether his altitude matters, or whether he left the atmosphere of earth, or blah blah blah… I would submit that none of it matters. He’s done something incredible, and it should be celebrated.

The curve of the earth is visible from around 35-40K feet. The ceiling of Class A airspace is 60k feet. Branson reached nearly 5x that altitude. The moon is still in earth’s atmosphere at ~240K miles, so no astronaut has ever completely left earth’s atmosphere. Whatever your personal definition of an astronaut is, you’ve probably not done anything close to this before, and it’s really a bummer to be denigrating it while we all geek out over soldering keyboards.

One day everyone may have the opportunity to be an astronaut. But it would never happen without people doing what Branson, Musk, Bezos, and new companies like Axiom Space are doing right now.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 01:40:32 »
I'd say yes, just because Bezos is a far bigger prick :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 06:55:16 »

It’s a huge accomplishment, and he’s spending his own money to advance science and explore

it would never happen without people doing what Branson, Musk, Bezos, and new companies like Axiom Space are doing right now.

I agree with both of these sentiments, and these are some of the rare examples of the ultra-ultra-wealthy who attempt to advance the species with some of their money.

And, of course, Virgin Galactic has 600 applications for future flights ....
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:52:34 »
In my book, an "astronaut" is someone who goes to space to do something useful in space.

That makes any question of drive, enthusiasm or ego irrelevant. I'm sure that many "traditional" astronauts/kosmonauts/tachyonauts were also full of those things.
If Branson, Musk or Bezos goes to space and when they are there, they just look around, boss people around and have fun, then they are still just "space tourists", no matter how much money and effort they spent to get there.

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 08:23:30 »
Branson and Musk may be space tourists but Bezos in space is just plainly a bond villain
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 08:52:02 »
Bezos is a Bond villain.
Musk aspires to be one.
The Bond-villainesque Hank Scorpio in The Simpsons has been said to have been modelled on Richard Branson.

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 11:40:21 »

I agree with both of these sentiments, and these are some of the rare examples of the ultra-ultra-wealthy who attempt to advance the species with some of their money.

And, of course, Virgin Galactic has 600 applications for future flights ....

I think that what Branson is doing, whist very cool, has nothing to do with practical spaceflight. It's not something that can ever be scaled, nor can it ever result in achieving orbit.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 12:59:43 »

applications for future flights

something that can ever be scaled

Not true. I have always believed that the law of supply and demand requires that demand be satisfied and that supply will come into being to satisfy it.
(and remember, of course, that demand is not wanting something - it is being willing to pay the price for something)

Perhaps not in our lifetimes (mine anyway, I'm an old man) but an orbiting hotel in space will attract a sizeable number of tourists.

Offline jamster

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 20:18:27 »

applications for future flights

something that can ever be scaled

Not true. I have always believed that the law of supply and demand requires that demand be satisfied and that supply will come into being to satisfy it.
(and remember, of course, that demand is not wanting something - it is being willing to pay the price for something)

Perhaps not in our lifetimes (mine anyway, I'm an old man) but an orbiting hotel in space will attract a sizeable number of tourists.

Low earth orbit is >160km. My understanding of Branson's approach is that it's a very high altitude plane launched off another plane (it can never get that high, hence not being practical) and vastly dependent on manual/pilot skill (hence not scalable).

At most, if there is a lot of demand, it will cater to people who want a certain view and five minutes of weightlessness, but it's not useful for research or industry.