Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606715 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2450 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 17:45:06 »
understand what you're saying there, and it is definitely worth a try, however, why would it be crashing at random points in time if it is a problem with dependencies. it loads up perfectly fine, and sometimes will work for a decent period of time (very rarely), but it almost always crashes at some point, even when i have not given any user input to change anything. is discord trying to do something in the background? if it is, why does it sometimes work for a good amount of time, and sometimes not ¯\_(ツ)_/
It may only be crashing when it makes a specific call to that resource/dependency or another program steals a specific resource/dependency it needs.

The Appimage is probably your safest and easiest thing to try but ultimately I'd point the finger at Discord.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2451 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 18:17:48 »
Just out of curiosity and laziness, I have both my desktop and laptop set to dual-boot into Windows and Mint Cinnamon, but generally use Windows.

In your opinion, which recent release of Mint is most superior for the casual user? I keep my Linux directories lean and clean, and could upgrade with minimum drama (aka trauma).
The most recent tends to always be the recommendation.
Mint is pretty consistent with user experience and interface, I didn't spend a lot of time in Mint 20 (just long enough to check that) but it all seemed the same. It's Mint (and Linux), nothing changes very quickly.

One thing I will recommend though is if/when you move more into Linux as your primary system is to get off Mint.
I love Mint, it's FANTASTIC for new Linux users but long term it's got a massive Achilles heel and that is updating to new versions. The upgrade from 16 to 17 was the last time it went remotely smooth for me on any system I've worked on and pretty much always required a re-install, I think it was 18-19 that even flubbed a fresh Virtualbox install upgrade I did as a test. I just don't get it, I know of no other distro that consistently screws this up, which is all the more unacceptable considering Mint is the distro of choice for people coming from Windows and that Linux makes it so darn easy to backup and move your data. Most people who left ended up on an Arch based distro which doesn't use distro version updates.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2452 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 19:18:26 »

pretty much always required a re-install,

For now, I don't keep anything of value in the core Mint ecosystem for long. Generally I have various internal and external hard drives where everything important goes, and so any new OS installation goes onto a new hard drive bought fresh for the project. These days hard drives are cheap enough that springing for a new one for the OS every 2-3 years seems like a no-brainer.

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline yui

« Reply #2453 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 00:39:49 »
i had the same experience with OpenSuse leap, keeping the /home in a separate partition helps a lot with not losing much though, and having switched to tumbleweed that problem is pretty much existent (rolling release, should never need to upgrade but i get huge updates everyday)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Altis

« Reply #2454 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 16:28:57 »
I'm still on Mint Xfce for most of what I do and it's by far the best distro and one of the best operating systems I've ever used. It's super fast, stable, and seems to just work with my hardware and software.

I still do use Windows 10 for certain software, though.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline yui

« Reply #2455 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 01:18:35 »
last update on Opensuse tumbleweed and steam made steam work fully :) i do not know for how long, but it does, right now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2456 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 20:37:49 »
We'd sort of standardised on CentOS (mostly for servers) at work and home, but since the debacle with CentOS 8 we've switched back to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is also more similar to Raspbian on my Raspberry Pis, so it's all good.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline BlueberryIsHere

• Formerly KaptainKitsune
  • Just a normal guy
« Reply #2457 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 07:38:34 »
I use Arch  :cool:. No particular reason other than the fairly minimal install (which immediately dies once I'm through with it)
I was told to put something here.
So I did

Offline kizuna

« Reply #2458 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 20:39:00 »
I use Arch with gnome on my thinkpad and MX linux on my desktop Xfce. After alot of distro hopping I do like MX linux the best.

Offline yui

« Reply #2459 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 07:49:41 »
do anyone ever tried to run an LTO drive on linux? i have trouble with MT, when i try to get the status of it i get activity on the wrong port on my HBA (HBA being an HP P800 and the LTO drive an HP Ultrium 448 on port 3 drive 0, i get activity on port 4 that has nothing plugged).
wondering if someone here tried and managed to make something like that work.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2460 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 04:17:59 »
Switched out Windows on my main PC for Pop!_OS - damn that is awesome.
The only game I play at the moment is WoW and it runs fantastic.
Other than that the OS doesn't get in the way at all. Just works.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2461 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 22:26:55 »
Any recommendations for a user-friendly rolling release distro? Is Manjaro a good way to go? I don't have any major requirements other than having basic development tools available in repositories, but don't want to spend a bunch of time vetting software updates for compatibility with my system. If it matters, I don't need bleeding-edge hardware support, the hardware I'm considering is about 5 years old.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2462 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 05:47:30 »
Any recommendations for a user-friendly rolling release distro? Is Manjaro a good way to go? I don't have any major requirements other than having basic development tools available in repositories, but don't want to spend a bunch of time vetting software updates for compatibility with my system. If it matters, I don't need bleeding-edge hardware support, the hardware I'm considering is about 5 years old.
Depends on your skill level and how much definition you want for the software.

Manjaro is good, it fights me a bit here and there but many absolutely love it and it has a big community and buffers you from the latest bugs similar to other major distros.
Endeavour is another good one, though it's still a bit new, it takes over from Antergos, which was an absolute favorite of mine. While stable it's a bit more bleeding edge than Manjaro but only by the smallest of margins.

Arco is another good one, I personally prefer it since I can use the Type D version to install kernel, wireless and networking and install everything by hand from there, meaning it's absolutely stripped to the bone other than enough to get going but they offer standard installs as well. Arco is about as close to pure Arch as you will get without going pure Arch, meaning it's a bit more bleeding edge than the other two but I like not having anything extra but without the hassles of pure Arch.

If you're experienced any of the 3 will work, if you're still new to Linux, go with Majaro, it's by far the most noob friendly.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #2463 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 06:16:49 »
Or just go Ubuntu, it works. Everything is fine out of the box and stays that way.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2464 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 07:06:23 »
Or just go Ubuntu, it works. Everything is fine out of the box and stays that way.
Did they make it rolling release then or is it still number and associated alliterative animal?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #2465 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 09:17:23 »
Did they make it rolling release then or is it still number and associated alliterative animal?

Hirsute Hippo...
They're still doing the 3 year LTS, 9 month standard support thing.

I can't remember the last time I ran across someone running Linux on their desktop at work.
Finding a decent laptop that ships with Linux and a warranty is hard, so people usually opt for a Mac.
Server side I usually see Ubuntu, CentOS and CoreOS.  And lots and lots of containers.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 July 2021, 09:22:44 by MajorKoos »

Offline nuudul

« Reply #2466 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 10:31:35 »
I use funtoo, and it was my first linux distro. I'm planning on trying arch some time soon on one of my spare computers though.

Funtoo? First distro?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2467 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 11:54:56 »

I've been using Linux Mint for the past 5ish years, and have no major complaints. I have nothing against it, just looking to try out something a bit different.

Depends on your skill level and how much definition you want for the software.

Manjaro is good, it fights me a bit here and there but many absolutely love it and it has a big community and buffers you from the latest bugs similar to other major distros.
Endeavour is another good one, though it's still a bit new, it takes over from Antergos, which was an absolute favorite of mine. While stable it's a bit more bleeding edge than Manjaro but only by the smallest of margins.

Arco is another good one, I personally prefer it since I can use the Type D version to install kernel, wireless and networking and install everything by hand from there, meaning it's absolutely stripped to the bone other than enough to get going but they offer standard installs as well. Arco is about as close to pure Arch as you will get without going pure Arch, meaning it's a bit more bleeding edge than the other two but I like not having anything extra but without the hassles of pure Arch.

If you're experienced any of the 3 will work, if you're still new to Linux, go with Majaro, it's by far the most noob friendly.

I like the sound of Manjaro having a bit of a buffer, so will likely give that one a try. What you describe with Arco Type D sounds like what I did with a Debian netinstall about 6 years ago. That was fun, but more work than I'd like to do again at this point.

I hope I've got enough experience with linux to make the transition not too difficult. It's been a lot of years since I used a non-Debian-based distro, so I'm interested in seeing what the other side looks like.

I can't remember the last time I ran across someone running Linux on their desktop at work.
Finding a decent laptop that ships with Linux and a warranty is hard, so people usually opt for a Mac.
Server side I usually see Ubuntu, CentOS and CoreOS.  And lots and lots of containers.

Dell used to sell (and still might) a version of their XPS 13 with Ubuntu and full warranty/support -- I think they called it the 'Developer Edition'. In my experience, their support was very accommodating about using other distributions on that hardware as well, but for major issues they would typically want you to revert back to their Ubuntu image for troubleshooting.

Linux is probably more common in my environment than a typical office though. I do still see a lot of macs used for remote access to CentOS servers.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2468 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 22:35:04 »
I like the sound of Manjaro having a bit of a buffer, so will likely give that one a try. What you describe with Arco Type D sounds like what I did with a Debian netinstall about 6 years ago. That was fun, but more work than I'd like to do again at this point.

I hope I've got enough experience with linux to make the transition not too difficult. It's been a lot of years since I used a non-Debian-based distro, so I'm interested in seeing what the other side looks like.
Arco D takes planning, same as Arch or Debian or Slack or.... Arco D just removes the hassle of the initial install, similar to Ubuntu Server. I pretty much can guarantee I can backup, reinstall, and have all my data back in place other than games in less time than most users or even most distros can really even get started putting everything back. While it sounds daunting to have to install all your programs, if you keep notes, it's really just a simple command.

Here's my install process
Install Arco D with zero extras.
update
. . . (you literally type update on Arco)
sudo pacman -S sddm plasma-meta libreoffice-fresh dolphin-plugins ark
. . . (installs desktop manager, kde, libreoffice, file manager and de/compression program, this can be split up to simplify it but there's a reason it's so much to do manually)
sudo systemctl enable sddm
. . . (enables desktop manager)
reboot
. . . (type reboot)

Once inside I restore my data (this is why I needed dolphin and ark), open my cheat sheet (this is why I install libreoffice-fresh) and copy this one large command that installs all my apps at once. This is not technically everything, I install a few things from the AUR later but you get the idea.
sudo pacman -S gparted thunderbird filezilla openscad gimp gthumb gnome-disk-utility traceroute gdmap okular pavucontrol spectacle htop nano firefox i7z glances kbackup keepass cura qbittorrent prusa-slicer galculator kate gedit vlc gnome-keyring kwalletmanager uget audacious freecad vinagre cura falkon

Enable bluetooth (disabled by default)
sudo systemctl enable bluetooth
sudo systemctl start bluetooth

Total time about 15-20 minutes if I hurry, but I can be back and running for the most part in 10 minutes.
From this I tweak the look, install video drivers if needed, Steam, start my games installing, all this takes another 10 minutes but it takes a while for the games to download. BUT... This whole thing only works if you keep a USB installer handy, easy to access backups, have a cheat sheet/notes for your list of apps to install and aren't constantly having to go search for commands. If you take the time to build a cheat sheet and have a good backup system in place it can really streamline things.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2469 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 03:33:15 »
Your first set of installs before rebooting don't seem to handle networking (though maybe they do through dependencies) so why not install, reboot, login as root (nothing's running and it's your house so hopefully no security risk) and run a script from the command line to do everything?  Would only save seconds of interaction but you could be doing something else.  Though I guess you wouldn't be back in X(?) quite as quickly (you could switch to another terminal and start it) and it could go wrong early without you noticing so actually take longer...

Think I answered myself - it depends on your priorities, and as a user who's not reinstalled for nearly 3 years mine are probably very different to yours :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2470 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 21:38:42 »
Your first set of installs before rebooting don't seem to handle networking (though maybe they do through dependencies) so why not install, reboot, login as root (nothing's running and it's your house so hopefully no security risk) and run a script from the command line to do everything?  Would only save seconds of interaction but you could be doing something else.  Though I guess you wouldn't be back in X(?) quite as quickly (you could switch to another terminal and start it) and it could go wrong early without you noticing so actually take longer...

Think I answered myself - it depends on your priorities, and as a user who's not reinstalled for nearly 3 years mine are probably very different to yours :)
The base install of Arco installs networking.
I have considered making a script to do it but by the time you get to that point it's just as easy to copy/paste.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #2471 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 08:01:52 »
my new favorite distro is OpenSuse Tumbleweed, even though it is not great for gaming the not having to upgrade version every 1, 2 or 3 years is very attractive to me

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2472 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 02:53:30 »
Void linux.. super fast in itself, super fast package manager. It's the only rolling major release that didn't break anything for me in the last 3 years. Only once had to manually update some perms due to changes in sudo's behavior. Sooo it probably breaks this week then now I have said that..
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2473 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 11:20:50 »
Still Debian Linux...  Currently experiencing a little issue on my new Ryzen 3700X but it's very likely due to the proprietary NVidia drivers: when the screen goes in suspend/hibernate/off mode, then when I come back at the computer and move the mouse/type on the keyboard, the picture doesn't come back: it doesn't correctly detect the signal for the 3840x1600 mode of my 38" monitor.  This worked fine on my previous machine: Core i7 6700K with integrated GPU.

I found a workaround: I toggle to tty2 / console / text mode whatever you call it, then I toggle back to X.  Works fine.  So basically I already got used, when sitting back at the computer, to "unlock" it doing ctrl-alt-F2 / ctrl-alt-F1.  This way the monitor picks the signal fine.

I don't know what the root cause is but, anyway, I'll soon be replacing the GTX 2060 Super (selling it to a friend who wants it) with an AMD GPU and getting rid of the proprietary NVidia drivers so I take it the issue shall be gone soon anyway.

Now Debian 11 "Bullseye" is stable (since a few days?), but I'm still on Debian 10 "Buster".  No hurry.

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2474 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 11:35:53 »
Install Arco D with zero extras.

My install process with Debian is to use the "netinst" installer (which I burn on a good old DVD or put on a USB key), then install a minimal system at first, not even an UI at first (I start with the text mode only, then I install Xorg / the Awesome WM).

Then I apt-get install everything as needed.  I always compile Emacs from source (btw down from 15 minutes to compile the "native-comp" of Emacs on a six years old (?) 6th gen Core i7-6700K to 4m45s on the Amd Ryzen 2 3700X, so one third of the time.  The "native-comp" branch is notoriously "heavy" to compile).  I install one app using it's "AppImage".  I install a few things like Rust using "curl" (not a big fan that but, hey...).  Then some thing I download the .deb, like ripgrep (guys, ripgrep is way, way, way faster than grep in most cases).

I'm using Linux (and Debian) since 20+ years so I've got no problem finding my way around ; )

And then Debian is so stable that I don't re-install often at all.  Typically only when buying a new machine.

I like to do that "manual" install: it keeps me in the loop!
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 August 2021, 11:37:24 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2475 on: Mon, 16 August 2021, 23:23:04 »
This is a big part of it for me as well.

If you install Windows or Linux once using an installer you really don't learn much from it, though most have no need or want.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2476 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 05:50:42 »
Currently experiencing a little issue on my new Ryzen 3700X but it's very likely due to the proprietary NVidia drivers

Are you sure it's that? I had similar issues (including whole random computer lock-ups), but that was due to the stability of early Ryzen and stepping states. There is a tool for that: ryzen-stabilizator. I run this at boot in a shells script:

Code: [Select]
sudo modprobe msr
sudo ryzen-stabilizator -disable-c6 -enable-psicworkaround -enable-boosting
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline yui

« Reply #2477 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 06:54:04 »

If you install Windows or Linux once using an installer you really don't learn much from it, though most have no need or want.
i did once install a linux manually, so i know it possible, but how do you install windows manually? the only 2 ways i know of is to use the windows installer or clone an install

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2478 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 07:35:44 »
Are you sure it's that? I had similar issues (including whole random computer lock-ups), but that was due to the stability of early Ryzen and stepping states. There is a tool for that: ryzen-stabilizator. I run this at boot in a shells script:

sudo modprobe msr
sudo ryzen-stabilizator -disable-c6 -enable-psicworkaround -enable-boosting
Not sure and haven't tested with another GPU yet.
But that's very interesting... I'll give it a try.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2479 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 21:57:20 »

i did once install a linux manually, so i know it possible, but how do you install windows manually? the only 2 ways i know of is to use the windows installer or clone an install
I did not mean to imply installing Windows manually just that many people only do it once and move on or think setting up a new Dell is the same. It's an accomplishment doing it but in terms of learning things about your computer and keeping your skills fresh it actually ranks pretty low.

Most people would also be surprised what all you can do with a Windows installer.
Besides shrinking install media, pre-installing a serial, drivers, software or updates, you can put multiple versions on a single disk (not like Ventoy but in the actual Windows installer) and if you get really creative you can even swap out sub systems such as ACPI to get Windows running on things it shouldn't run on.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline iaji

« Reply #2480 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 09:02:14 »
i use arch. currently on the fourth year for this installation.
other distros that i've used:
- ubuntu: 2010 / 2011 (unity) on really weak laptop with sis video card.
- arch: 2011 on the same laptop
- arch: 2013 on desktop
- funtoo: 2014 on the same desktop
- arch again on the same desktop to this moment.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2481 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 09:48:46 »
I used Pop-OS (based on Ubuntu) for a couple of months. I have to get back to Win-10 due to a few minor inconveniences to get my personal set of applications working. The main caveat, keyboard-wise, was how cumbersome is to get a custom definition of a keyboard layout up and working; on the other hand, there is the nice Ms-Keyboard-Layout-Creator in windows that is so easy to use and friendly that you can get the layout exactly as you need in minutes. It is a shame that Linux lacks this basic feature for customizing the experience. Another drawback was how cumbersome is to get R and RStudio working, also, the R packages take a lot longer than in windows to get installed. Another shame-shame-on Linux, that an open statistical programming environment may run better on Windows than in Linux. The last and final, but not minor, inconvenience is how slow the pc gets when using Zoom for teaching. In summary, I cannot do my job easier in Linux, but much more difficult, so there is no reason to run with the hassle.

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
« Reply #2482 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 02:42:38 »
My first distro was linux mint, although I am currently using Arch with openbox for my daily driver, manjaro for my laptop, and fedora server for my home server, (which is also my passion-project server). I used fedora because I have a book about server administration that uses fedora, but I really like arch-based distros, so I'm not sure if I should choose another one.
KEEBS: Niz atom TKL, KBD67 Lite V2 R3 with gateron black inks
AUDIO: beyers dt 880 pros with a k3 DAC. Really want to get my hands on some sennies hurr durr six hungos

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2483 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 15:05:30 »
Commenting here again...  Still running Debian mostly everywhere but on my latest toy (AMD 3700X, nothing crazy fancy but it's the most recent computer I have) I'm running "Devuan" atm.  It's a Debian fork, where everything "systemd related" has been removed.  I have nothing against systemd but I'm not either a "pro systemd" fanatic (as in: I really don't care much about my init system as long as everything works).  Anyway so I've got several Debian installs and, so far, one Devuan install.  Seems to be working perfectly fine but YMMV.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #2484 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 12:01:52 »
Commenting here again...  Still running Debian mostly everywhere but on my latest toy (AMD 3700X, nothing crazy fancy but it's the most recent computer I have) I'm running "Devuan" atm.  It's a Debian fork, where everything "systemd related" has been removed.  I have nothing against systemd but I'm not either a "pro systemd" fanatic (as in: I really don't care much about my init system as long as everything works).  Anyway so I've got several Debian installs and, so far, one Devuan install.  Seems to be working perfectly fine but YMMV.

What Kernal do you run? My server runs Debian 10 (LTS to 2024), but I had some problems with kernel 4.19. However, Debian 11 has LTS on kernel 5.10. I think I need >5.4 unfortunately. I will just upgrade to a later kernel now, but at some point I think I will change OS to something more cutting edge. Any thoughts?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2485 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 17:02:40 »
What Kernal do you run?
The only "Kernal"s I've seen, spelled with an 'a' were the ones in Commodore 's 8-bit machines such as the Commodore 64. ;)

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #2486 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 00:49:37 »
Oh man, I've tried to switch to a linux desktop multiple times over the past 20 years but it never stuck. My most recent serious attempt to switch was to OpenSuse maybe about 3 years ago. I think I made it a couple of months. I've tried Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, Chakra, Gentoo and probably several others as well.

I went through about 10 distros a few months ago, 5 or 6 different desktop environments. I finally settled in Budgie Ubuntu (not an official remix at this point.) I installed the numix circle icon pack and I absolutely loved it. I ended up going back to macos for now for some graphics programs I'm used to but I'm psyched I finally had a great time with a linux desktop.

I do, however, plan to try Qubes OS in the next month or two for an extended period of time. I will be virtualizing windows this time so I won't have to try to give up outlook and onenote. I am hoping that I'll have better luck this time since I'm not actually trying to give up all my favorite windows apps at the same time as well.

I never did get around to this. It never liked any machine I wanted to run it on. The machines where it installed for me had too little RAM and I gave up quickly.

When it comes to servers and command line, I absolutely love linux. You can pry it out of my cold dead hands :) I use Centos/RHEL here as I need the ultra long term stability. I'm fairly comfortable on an Ubuntu LTS server as well, but I don't really consider their LTS distro all that LTS. We're getting close to the next LTS release, but I just had to install an unbuntu server with the current LTS version, and it only has 3 years of bugfixes left. That kinda sucks for a "long term" OS that I just installed. This is why RHEL/Centos has a much longer support cycle. In addition, I can work with RPM spec files and can build/adjust my own RPMs most of the time without too much issue. This allows me to run my own small repository for my needs.

Not much changed here except I swapped out Centos for Rocky linux since Redhat retired Centos and only has Centos-Stream. I still use and love RHEL and Ubuntu LTS.

My firewalls are pfsense (freebsd), but I may switch to one of the vyatta forks at some point. I tried to use vyatta before pfsense, but found it more of a router OS and not super ideal for firewall use. But it's been years, and I really did love it. Managing it is similar to managing cisco or hp stuff.

I left pfsense for OPNSense. It surprises me that netgate lets their pfsense employees behave like they do, but it is what it is.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #2487 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 01:17:57 »
What Kernal do you run?
The only "Kernal"s I've seen, spelled with an 'a' were the ones in Commodore 's 8-bit machines such as the Commodore 64. ;)

I'm glad you found it amusing ^^

Offline iri

« Reply #2488 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 03:04:47 »
4.19.0-18-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.208-1 (2021-09-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Not Devuan, but another Debian spin-off without systemd (MX Linux).
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yui

« Reply #2489 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 07:23:49 »
i started using proxmox recently, tried multiple competitor as i do not like that they expect you to pay for freely available software and community support (not support by them but access to a community forum) but to be fair the competition just does not see to work at all, or at least not on my very early 64 bits server... so i guess they have somewhat a point.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2490 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 03:14:45 »
i started using proxmox recently, tried multiple competitor as i do not like that they expect you to pay for freely available software and community support (not support by them but access to a community forum) but to be fair the competition just does not see to work at all, or at least not on my very early 64 bits server... so i guess they have somewhat a point.
What are you trying to set up?  All the software is the same regardless of the distro, maybe the config files move and how to start it on boot will change but that's it.  The beauty of Linux is that hardware is irrelevant, there is no "that was built for Windows 7 of course it doesn't work in 10" nonsense so your old server is not a problem - it's 64bit so good as new.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2491 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 06:19:59 »
i am trying to setup a homelab with a web server + game servers on the one physical server. i have a 2nd server but i want to play with VM so yeah only one is running :) the other one is 32 bits, and 64 bits can not be as good as new, ILO2 that is on it for example has become completely useless (uses Java applets), and the thing does not like usb stick larger than 4 GB (or maybe 8, only tried with 16 and 4, worked with 4 so i did not try further) i did try XCP-ng that installed but its management interface could start on this old hardware and 2 others that never managed to even boot. sadly hardware is not that irrelevant anymore with most distros dropping support for anything older than 5 to 10 years, the kernel itself i think only recently dropped compatibility for 386 but it is hard to find a 32 bits distro these days (32 bits is only the most visible example, i have not yet found a distro working on an old HP 8570p since OpenSuse 11.3 and it is a 64 bits system).

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2492 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 07:25:02 »
Ok, didn't think you'd have proper server hardware with random management interfaces.  I have much to read to even know what you're talking about such has been my disenchantment with computers in the past 10 years but XCP-NG is Citrix so hoping it works with their rival HP sounds like a long shot.

What are you putting on the USB stick?  My first thought was it's a new stick formatted as exfat but I think you're better than that.  Maybe the 16gb is USB3 and the old server doesn't put out enough power?  It should be backwards compatible to USB2 but maybe the server has some USB1 ports and that's a step too far.

Many laptops rely on binary drivers will reach end of life when the manufacturer wants you to buy a new one, if you want one that lasts forever chose carefully.  Seems yours is a  business/security focussed so perhaps disabling some of that in bios will make it more friendly?  Hard to say without knowing what doesn't work.

Arch32 is still actively maintained if you really want to torture yourself with something that old :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2493 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 08:05:02 »
the USB thing both had been dd-ed with the same iso (at that time the proxmox iso) both are USB2 and work on my more modern PCs but yes it could be sightly out of spec device for power or something.
and for the old HP laptop the problem is the GCN1.1 gpu in it, i kinda gave up last year so maybe it finally is working but last i check GCN 1.1 was supported by neither AMDGPU-PRO, AMDGPU, Mesa or legacy drivers, making anything after linux 3 kernel (last kernel compatible with old proprietary AMD drivers) completely impossible to install with graphics. only other things that never worked in linux was the bluetooth and the fingerprint reader.
As far as i thought XCP-ng was the Linux Foundation (maintainers of Xen) response to Citrix's XenServer (just learnt it is now called Citrix Hypervisor) although i never knew that Citrix were selling hardware, and given that a while back HP documentation listed XenServer as a compatible OS so i do not think they were ever competitor.
and nice to know that at least one distro still can be ran on my old machines :) i had the bad idea to take the time to repair the board before reading on it and discovering it was 32bits only (Pentium 4 and will not boot a Pentium dual or core2duo) so now i want to use it :) although it will be my 1st time trying arch

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2494 on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 11:52:51 »
dding an iso, nice.  I think that would start at a default sector and overwrite everything after, a bigger drive would have a bigger partition table which would get corrupted?  That could be completely wrong, it has been a long time since I played with dd or partition tables for that matter.

GCN 1.1 seems to be supported by AMDGPU since at least 2020 just broken by default with an alleged fix here, the parameters would need to be added to your grub (bootloader) config.  You could swap out the bluetooth module for a Linux friendly one if that's useful.

I'm on my fist time trying Arch too - it's been nearly 5 years without anything breaking which I still struggle to believe.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2495 on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 16:05:38 »
the Bluetooth is compatible with later versions of the kernel :) but anyway the motherboard in that laptop is dead, i am at my 4th board and the last one i bought was password locked on arrival, so the seller managed to argue it was working even though it is pretty much a brick, so i got tired and found a 5euros dell around that time so abandoned it. i was giving it as an example for hardware that is too old to properly work on most distros.

in my experience only 2 things breaks stable linux distros, user failures (forcing debian 10 and 11 packages on debian 9 for example) and hardware failures (very bad bitrot for example, happened to me on an old laptop). so 5 years seems doable, i had a suse install that lasted in those times too (Suse 11.3 on an old pentium 4 system, my 1st linux pc) but i have had many install killing experiments making 2 years my best since i quit school.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2496 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 16:11:19 »
Starting to make Linux Mint to really work for me, but I have run into something that has been problematic for me in the past: shortcuts

I am an avid user of keyboard and desktop shortcuts, and they are my primary method of working and using the computer. I know that there must be a trick for this, but I am having trouble finding it. I use Firefox and remember that a shortcut needs to point to both Firefox and a URL, but I can't remember the way to ask the question to get the answer I want.

Thanks for your help, experts.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2497 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 16:24:02 »
Starting to make Linux Mint to really work for me, but I have run into something that has been problematic for me in the past: shortcuts

I am an avid user of keyboard and desktop shortcuts, and they are my primary method of working and using the computer. I know that there must be a trick for this, but I am having trouble finding it. I use Firefox and remember that a shortcut needs to point to both Firefox and a URL, but I can't remember the way to ask the question to get the answer I want.

Thanks for your help, experts.
Web shortcuts vary depending on D.E.
Simplest way on most is to drag the tab to the bookmarks toolbar, creating a bookmark, then drag the bookmark to the desktop.

That usually works.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2498 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 17:01:49 »

drag the tab to the bookmarks toolbar, creating a bookmark, then drag the bookmark to the desktop.

That put something on the desktop, but it didn't simply open when I clicked on it. I think that the question that I am trying to ask is how to point to Firefox as the program to open it.

For example, in Windows, I can use "control-alt-g" and it opens the Geekhack index page, whether or not Firefox is already open.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2499 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 22:13:45 »

drag the tab to the bookmarks toolbar, creating a bookmark, then drag the bookmark to the desktop.

That put something on the desktop, but it didn't simply open when I clicked on it. I think that the question that I am trying to ask is how to point to Firefox as the program to open it.

For example, in Windows, I can use "control-alt-g" and it opens the Geekhack index page, whether or not Firefox is already open.
The method I posted just worked in a vm for me but sounds like what you want is keyboard shortcut and I'm not good with those.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More