Author Topic: How does Ergodox use numpad?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline FinancialWar

How does Ergodox use numpad?
« on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 08:25:57 »
Can someone with the ergodox tell me how any one use numpad on the ergodox? Is there a numlock or something?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline slickmamba

Re: How does Ergodox use numpad?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 08:43:27 »
Can someone with the ergodox tell me how any one use numpad on the ergodox? Is there a numlock or something?

I switch the layer to my numpad layer.  You can easily program one on the massdrop site, or through whatever program you have. 

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox
Hi :)

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 09:06:09 »
Stupid question, how do you switch layer on Ergodox? Is it a simple button press or do I have to go through some software?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 14:08:51 »
It is all on the keyboard.

Go to the Ergodox Configurator. Click "Defaults", choose "QWERTY" and then click "Load".
That will populate the keys in the configurator with codes.
In this layout, the Numpad layer is Layer 2. To change to Layer 2 you press the key with the code [+L2], and you get back to the previous layer by pressing the key on Layer 2 that has the code [-L2].

To use this layout, click "Download Current Layout (.hex)" and then load that onto your ErgoDox using the "teensy" program. The build instructions should contain instructions about that.
If your Ergodox is already programmed, then I suspect that it is programmed with this default layout. Otherwise you would have to ask the person who programmed it.

On my own ErgoDox, I activate the numpad layer with a latching key: a Cherry MX Lock. A latching key stays down after the first press and gets back up on the second.
That requires that the numpad layer is active while the key is being held down. Instead of [+L2] and [-L2], I use the code [~L2] (note the tilde character, not a minus).
There is more info about the layer codes under "Additional Information" in the configurator.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 November 2014, 14:15:05 by Findecanor »

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 19:05:44 »
So will the Ergodox work without any software install on the computer? Say, after I build and program all the layout etc at home, and every thing works fine at home, than I take the Ergodox to turn, will it just work by plug-in or will I need to install the same programs on work computer also?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 19:08:03 »
It is all on the keyboard.

Go to the Ergodox Configurator. Click "Defaults", choose "QWERTY" and then click "Load".
That will populate the keys in the configurator with codes.
In this layout, the Numpad layer is Layer 2. To change to Layer 2 you press the key with the code [+L2], and you get back to the previous layer by pressing the key on Layer 2 that has the code [-L2].

To use this layout, click "Download Current Layout (.hex)" and then load that onto your ErgoDox using the "teensy" program. The build instructions should contain instructions about that.
If your Ergodox is already programmed, then I suspect that it is programmed with this default layout. Otherwise you would have to ask the person who programmed it.

On my own ErgoDox, I activate the numpad layer with a latching key: a Cherry MX Lock. A latching key stays down after the first press and gets back up on the second.
That requires that the numpad layer is active while the key is being held down. Instead of [+L2] and [-L2], I use the code [~L2] (note the tilde character, not a minus).
There is more info about the layer codes under "Additional Information" in the configurator.

What this guy said.  The slapped the numpad on one of my layers. 

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox

You are correct about the keyboard not needing software to work on any computer.  The firmware is installed on the keyboard and it will work on any keyboard by plug in.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing