Author Topic: Soarer's Converter issue with Alt + Print Screen  (Read 3313 times)

Offline zachlennie

Soarer's Converter issue with Alt + Print Screen
« on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 14:06:03 »
Hi there folks.

I put together a Soarer's converter using an Arduino Pro Micro (32u4) for use with my Focus FK-9000. For some reason windows will not recognize the alt key and the print screen key being pressed at the same time with any keyboard running through the Soarer's converter. This issue does not happen when using the keyboards on a computer with a native ps/2 port. All other possible two key combos seem to work just fine, but not alt + print screen.

Has anyone else run into this problem and / or found a fix?

Offline Tactile

Re: Soarer's Converter issue with Alt + Print Screen
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 14:46:22 »
My Soarer's is in a 122 key model F and it behaves the same way. When holding ALT down Print Screen is not recognized. CTRL or WIN + Print Screen both work fine. Interesting...

What's also interesting is that when holding down WIN+ALT & pressing Print Screen the Print Screen doesn't light in my keyboard test program - as if Print Screen was not seen. Bur Windows gave me a pop-up saying that a screenshot had been saved. So Windows seems to see the ALT+PrntScr combo even if the keyboard test program doesn't.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2021, 14:53:02 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 15:12:49 »
Interesting..
I looked up the PS/2 protocol. Apparently the Print Screen key is a bit of a special case in the PS/2 protocol that needs special handling, which makes it ripe for there to be a bug just there.

Offline zachlennie

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 15:17:49 »
So I tried configuring the soarers converter to send the alt keycode when I press the scroll lock key to see if that would help. It did not.

I then switched the converter back to normal so it would send the scroll lock keycode as it normally would. I then added a key map to the Windows registry to swap the scroll lock key to a third alt key at the Windows level. This does work and now pressing scroll lock plus print screen does the same thing as pressing alt + print screen would on a non soarers converted keyboard.

As for what about the Soarers converter specifically causes that issue, I am still unsure. Part of the trouble is not very many people use alt + print screen so the bug has not turned up until now it seems.