Author Topic: Advice for a simple casting device  (Read 3854 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Advice for a simple casting device
« on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 20:08:49 »
I want a simple TV casting device. I have a recent smart TV and I simply want to cast across the room from my desktop at a reasonable ("low") price.

No need or desire for anything fancy, I am not a heavy TV user/watcher. I just want to get a signal across the room via wi-fi, mostly off the internet or from files on the hard drive. Simplicity of use is my goal, and a remote control might be nice but not essential. People I know enjoy Chromecast but I don't like Chrome and would prefer an OS/browser agnostic device.

What have you had good experiences with?
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Advice for a simple casting device
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 22:29:23 »
From your desktop?
Honestly, what you're after is a road full of disappointment and wasted money in my experience.

The cheap stuff you're looking at is for short term use or comes with a lot of caveats. Sure you can get it to "work" but it's fickle, has issues, never works how you want unless it's a dedicated solution. There is no cheap, easy way to do this. Yes, Chromecast works, but does it? If you need to constantly leave that big gaming rig running how efficient is that? And if you stream local content like a ripped blueray, oh boy do I have some bad news for you. All these cheap solutions are for temporary use and a secondary function. I have never seen anyone use these systems long term with real success. Students can do it in a dorm but they usually don't mind fiddling (they're cheap) and it's in a single room. If you get home from work do you want to spend 5, 10, or even 20 minutes getting it to work properly or do you want to pop it on and start watching?

First things first...
Wireless in my experience is going to be an issue due to bandwidth. Yes, I know companies claim "1800Mbit!!!!", that's adding all the radios inside together and it's complete marketing B.S., besides the fact that wifi receivers don't really work that way, usb adapters are even worse. The truth is, if you actually exceed 300 or so Mb in usable bandwidth you're doing exceptionally well, especially if it's consistent. Just getting a faster, more reliable connection than good old 10/100 hardwire is an accomplishment at times. Keep in mind, I said consistent, which is the problem. In my apartment just going through two walls and 30 feet distance I went from what should be a 400-450MbMb (?) connection when close to the router down to around 20Mb. Transferring a 2GB file took the better part of an hour whereas on gigabit I could do it in 3 or 4 minutes at most. Keep in mind most usb adapters are even slower, few get over 400Mb and are usually either 300 or 150 unless you spend quite a lot on it and that's assuming the router supports it. Don't forget, this is before you encounter external influences like neighbor interference or worse, someone else using the same wifi. Got a spouse or kids who use it while you stream, good luck.

Wifi is good for internet, you download in chunks, it has variable resolution and quality, downscaling upscaling, it's compressed and it caches as it goes so any up and downs get masked.
Local streaming has a buffer but that's about it. If you stream a blueray rip it's going to send that same quality and expect a consistent connection. Wifi is f'ing TERRIBLE for transferring and streaming large files, the rate can jump from 25Mbit up to 400 and back down again simply because someone walked in front of the router or tv.  What you watch online is highly optimized, your system won't do that, once you lose that and try to stream anything you download or rip all bets are off. You may have seen TP and I discuss 10Gbit connections to replace our gigabit hard wired connections to our media systems, this is why. Gigabit is actually fine for streaming local stuff, we want faster for moving files around because while you can stream a DVD over 2 hours, you don't want to wait that long for a transfer.

The solution
If you stick with it odds are you will end up where most people who do this end up, building a dedicated media player and/or file server. It sounds extreme but it cures a lot of issues with data transfer and if you use it daily, it can actually save you money compared to just casting. It also makes your desktop faster. I assume your desktop is a big, built up gaming machine with big drives, it needs to remain on anytime you want to watch something through it and it's power hungry.

This doesn't need to be expensive, my first media player and file server was just an old computer but these days people use Raspberry Pis. Personally I'm not a fan of that, Pis are a hassle but have their uses. I recommend looking around for a small Intel system, Celeron or Atom is plenty, even old first gen Atom is perfectly fine. Laptops are fine, though a small form factor is better. Yank out the optical drives, use onboard graphics disable anything not in use, at this point it will idle in the single digits for power once the drive spins down. If you want or need to build something, I like to use use 3rd gen core I5s, they run about $30, the motherboard can often be found at similar price. Another good option is Intel Nucs and similar, a cheap alternative is Lenovo M92p and M93P, you can find these on Ebay for $100. These and the Pi work for streaming but for file serving they are not as good as a low power SFX/ITX setup where you can pile in all your drives and offload all of that from your desktop unless you spend the money on a single large drive as they lack connections and power (watts) to run it all. For media player remotes I use old HP or Dell media center remotes (infared), they're plug and play and run about $15 on Ebay but you can get cheap Chinese radio ones for $10, just be sure it's plug and play and not some old infared Chinese junk if you go cheap, those are not plug and play. Then load install Kodi and point it at your media folder. You can get all of this, for not much more than the cost of a nice wireless Nic and a lot less than a good router.

So how does it save you money and speed up your desktop?
My desktop uses about 75 watts at idle (more if I had my big drive in it), with screens it's even more, but I can turn it off at night or let it sleep, meanwhile my server runs at a consistent 15 watts and I can access all my files from my laptop, media player, phone, etc. at any time, anywhere. This also means I don't need large drives in my desktop, allowing for a smaller box, smaller power supply, fewer parts and when I need to rebuild it, very little data is actually stored on it. Backups are faster since that data isn't there, I can offload large downloads and uploads to it even while I game, there's less data indexing going on since none of it is stored on it, it just makes for a much simpler desktop. I keep my server drive spinning (no power down) so it accesses faster which keeps it closer to 25 watts but that's because I prefer the faster access times. It's still less than running the desktop which would be running the system plus that drive 24/7. It saves me about $50-$75 a year in electricity by powering off the desktop and I can't imagine life without it it's made things so much easier.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 23:39:26 »
Either plug it in with a long cable or get a mini pc just for your living room TV and a wireless keyboard/trackpad. Or use the plex app to watch stuff on your smart tv that you've downloaded on your pc.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:19:48 »

From your desktop?

Wireless in my experience is going to be an issue due to bandwidth.

wifi receivers don't really work that way, usb adapters are even worse.

Just getting a faster, more reliable connection than good old 10/100 hardwire is an accomplishment at times.

most usb adapters are even slower, few get over 400Mb and are usually either 300 or 150 unless you spend quite a lot on it and that's assuming the router supports it.

Gigabit is actually fine for streaming local stuff

your desktop is a big, built up gaming machine with big drives, it needs to remain on anytime you want to watch something through it and it's power hungry.

So how does it save you money and speed up your desktop?

Thank you for your immense and generous answer, but "the answer you get depends on the question you ask" ....

First, I do have a "large-ish" desktop (Ryzen 5) with multiple drives but I never game. This is the command center where I do all of the work and store the data.
These days I live alone in a house with a relatively long and narrow room where this all takes place. There are no other users on the system and little multi-tasking is ever taking place. Nothing else will be going on when I am watching and I shut my system down completely every night. And I am satisfied, at least for the foreseeable future, with 1080 video or less.

I want the TV to be on one end wall without building any other shelves or accoutrements on the wall around it. It is in full view of my desk and computer which is near the middle, and "behind" me is the modem and router at the far end wall of the same room. Since I am not particularly concerned with looks, at least in the near term, I could bring cables up the wall to it if that makes the most sense. Running a USB cable from my computer would be easy enough and require a 25 footer, I have 3.1 ports available. Just about as easy would be a 35 foot ethernet cable from the router.

I have perhaps 3TB-4TB of video material on external hard drive and the simplest answer may be to plug that into the USB port of the TV and control it with the TV remote. Or, I could even load a USB thumb drive with what I want to watch for the next week and just plug that in. In that scenario I would not be watching anything off the internet, but the computer would not even have to be on at all.

So, a simple question for a simple answer: Would a USB or ethernet cable be satisfactory for my less demanding requirements?
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 01:37:06 »
Ethernet, it's a bit more initial setup but it's a one and done.
USB A ports (also called a sneakernet, as in walk it over in your sneakers) have a 500 insertion lifespan and I have definitely ran into this lifespan a few times.

One issue you may still run into is compatibility, not with cables and such but video formats depend on on where it comes from. This is the problem with casting and such, Sling gets around it because it's standardized tv signal, casting can use an image of the screen or document or something (I ruled it out really fast for my use), it can use bandwidth but it's not streaming a 1080 full res video with 7.1 audio. These devices are meant for sharing homework, Powerpoint, spreadsheets, Word docs, things of that nature. All using a standardized file formats.  Audio compression is a mess and it looks downright rosy compared to video compression codecs used. Even with a full on media box using VLC I occasionally still have videos that refuse to play because of codec problems thanks to the 50 gajilion incompatible standards and settings people use. A "smart" Tv will have even fewer codecs installed making it even less likely.

If you want to just play content from the computer, instead of an ethernet cord and using the TV to play media get a long HDMI cable and plug it in as a second or third display, maybe install Kodi and get a remote and just simply  play it direct. There's no extra cords, no codec concerns, no wireless concerns, not networking... Simple.

P.S.
Since you have a lot of drives, I'd still consider the file server, it really does make life a lot easier.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion