Author Topic: Looking for a new fav linear after gateron yellow  (Read 3904 times)

Offline problemxyz

Looking for a new fav linear after gateron yellow
« on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 12:01:58 »
They're actually nice, but the memory foam-like feel is kind of wearing me out. A little too heavy at that too.
And while Im also looking for as much thock as possible coming from the switch alone, I could be working on a nice opportunity here.

My guess is that when progression towards heavier feel is off the table, this would leave out black inks. Red inks perhaps, but do they keep their thockiness?
So, thock and smooth feel, a bit lighter than yellow. Not lighter than red though.
Not sure about the progressive feel; if it's the heaviness or the progressiveness that bothers me.
Preferably not higher than $0.7/piece

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 September 2021, 12:07:47 by problemxyz »
Keychron Q1 Unsilenced Boba u4T silents 55g springs Mistel kecyaps | Keychron K6 Feker Panda MT3 Cyber | GK64 in pieces | Ducky One Full Size PCB broken

Offline Leopard223

Re: Looking for a new fav linear after gateron yellow
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 17:22:11 »
You have Gateron Ink testers so you could test out the thock, you can always spring swap the black inks with the Gat yellow spring.

Offline highvoltagetf2

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 19:09:02 »
red inks look like a good choice for you. i advise you overbuy them, maybe buy 20 more than you need as ink batches tend to be garbage sometimes
new to gh hi

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 September 2021, 20:23:42 »
Vintage mx black, gat black/inks and alpacas are all pretty good. Im enjoying c3 tangerines a lot more lately.

Offline aerOcraft

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 02:16:17 »
Just get something you think sounds great and then spring swap them if the biggest issue with it is the spring weight. Springs are so cheap and with them being linears it really doesn't matter what spring weight you use in the switches. You could get Black Ink V2s and just pop some 55g springs or whatever weight you want really. And all Ink housing is the same material. It's just the coloring that changes. Red Ink V2s should sound like Black Ink V2s if you swap springs out to be the same weight as them. But Inks are higher in price than $0.70/switch right now. Look into Lavenders and Alpacas.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Looking for a new fav linear after gateron yellow
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 19:16:58 »
I’ve had great success with Inks on an aluminum plate, Alpacas on half FR4, Lavenders on full FR4.

All are lubed with 205g0, most of them are SSd Durock 62g, and some have deskeys films. I love all of them

I’d suggest (as other have) you get samples of each switch that interests you and try every permutation (lubed, filmed, and swapped to a target weight).

Half of the fun of switches is experimenting IMO
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Kokukenji

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 10:19:32 »
Throwing a vote for Everglide Aqua King v3. They come in a few options, 55, 62 and 67. I am currently using the 55g stock and it's a dream!

Offline problemxyz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 09:04:36 »
Thanks for all the replies everyone en sorry for the long mia.
Looks like anything above 50gr feels sluggish and fatiguing after a while.
Bought a small batch of Gateron Blak inks just to cover the alphas. What's extremely weird is that 45gr springs in them the heavy feel kind of remains. I just don't understand why. Same thing for the Gateron yellows.
Then I kindof forgot about linear switches for a while and then my Keychron Q1 arrived. With phantom red switches and weirdly enough they scratch my itch.

red inks look like a good choice for you. i advise you overbuy them, maybe buy 20 more than you need as ink batches tend to be garbage sometimes

These probably would have made the most sense given my question and also the Phantom reds that are being really good to me.

Throwing a vote for Everglide Aqua King v3. They come in a few options, 55, 62 and 67. I am currently using the 55g stock and it's a dream!

These are really gearing up to become favorites aren't they.

You have Gateron Ink testers so you could test out the thock, you can always spring swap the black inks with the Gat yellow spring.
I've never been able to get a feel of what switches are like based on a tester. Unfortunately! Life would be so much bloody easier wouldn't it

Keychron Q1 Unsilenced Boba u4T silents 55g springs Mistel kecyaps | Keychron K6 Feker Panda MT3 Cyber | GK64 in pieces | Ducky One Full Size PCB broken

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 16:53:30 »
What do you mean by memory foam feel?
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline problemxyz

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 03:33:13 »
What do you mean by memory foam feel?

A feeling that is a little bit similar to pressing down on memoryfoam. Gateron Yellow and Black Ink I find have that.

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 November 2021, 03:44:32 »
A feeling that is a little bit similar to pressing down on memoryfoam. Gateron Yellow and Black Ink I find have that.

i've tried both and i definitely haven't experienced that in either. maybe you'd like long pole switches though, they tend to have a firmer/more pronounced bottom out. check out bolsa's techno violets, they're sick. as for aqua kings, definitely avoid if you don't want to deal with inconsistent lubing and tolerance issues (or just buy a bunch of extras like you would with inks)
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline problemxyz

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 04:00:25 »

i've tried both and i definitely haven't experienced that in either. maybe you'd like long pole switches though, they tend to have a firmer/more pronounced bottom out. check out bolsa's techno violets, they're sick. as for aqua kings, definitely avoid if you don't want to deal with inconsistent lubing and tolerance issues (or just buy a bunch of extras like you would with inks)

Thats interesting, what is it that you like about bolsa techno violets?

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 November 2021, 04:33:56 »
they just seem like they fit what you're looking for pretty well. they have 58g springs, so slightly lighter than gat yellows albeit 2 stage so they'll likely feel somewhat similar. if they're still too heavy, you could always just pick up some external springs, they're pretty inexpensive. their long pole stem would probably mitigate some of that "memory foam" feeling that you're feeling. they're also full nylon, so they have a deep sound signature. downside is that if you're from belgium, they'd be a bit difficult to get without paying a small fortune for shipping
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline problemxyz

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 13:55:30 »
downside is that if you're from belgium, they'd be a bit difficult to get without paying a small fortune for shipping

That's right. Ive tried biting the bullet on some things from the US, but canceled orders because of that exact reason.
Anyways, the phantom reds seem to hold up fine actually.

Offline Altis

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 16:10:22 »
Have you checked out the Varmilo EC switches? They seem to be buttery smooth and are capacitive.

Green Alps have stolen my heart when it comes to linears.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 15:17:18 »
Have you checked out the Varmilo EC switches? They seem to be buttery smooth and are capacitive.

Green Alps have stolen my heart when it comes to linears.

I was hoping somebody else would mention something contactless, although I can't recall whether or not I have ever tried any myself. I'm pretty sure I would want something hall effect or EC if I really wanted super nice linears myself.

Sakura and Rose would be the Varmilo switches to try if used to yellows. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a Rose board just to try them.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 19:52:09 »
I went from Cherry MX reds to Gat Yellows to Alpacas. I would highly recommend the alpacas. Super smooth and I enjoy the sound personally.

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 03:29:01 »
My favs are gateron black inks (spring swapped with 60g springs and heavily lubed)
KEEBS: Niz atom TKL, KBD67 Lite V2 R3 with gateron black inks
AUDIO: beyers dt 880 pros with a k3 DAC. Really want to get my hands on some sennies hurr durr six hungos