geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Cherry mx red feels heavy

(1/3) > >>

acidthrot:
i had a keyboard with cherry mx reds and they felt nice and light but the keyboard broke, i purchased the exact same keyboard as a replacement and the new switches feel way heavier. im assuming they will get lighter with use but im not sure how long that will take as its causing me some finger pain

pixelpusher:

--- Quote from: acidthrot on Thu, 21 September 2023, 08:17:41 ---i had a keyboard with cherry mx reds and they felt nice and light but the keyboard broke, i purchased the exact same keyboard as a replacement and the new switches feel way heavier. im assuming they will get lighter with use but im not sure how long that will take as its causing me some finger pain

--- End quote ---

No, the spring will not change weight or "loosen up" over time.  Are you absolutely sure both were "cherry" reds?  There are many brands that sell mx switches with red stems and their springs will all feel different. 

If the weight is bothering you, you should probably consider getting something with different switches than what you have currently.  There are several switches out there with lightweight springs if you decide to build something yourself.  Or for premade, Gateron white are sometimes an option, and very lightweight.

Rob27shred:

--- Quote from: pixelpusher on Thu, 21 September 2023, 09:28:28 ---
--- Quote from: acidthrot on Thu, 21 September 2023, 08:17:41 ---i had a keyboard with cherry mx reds and they felt nice and light but the keyboard broke, i purchased the exact same keyboard as a replacement and the new switches feel way heavier. im assuming they will get lighter with use but im not sure how long that will take as its causing me some finger pain

--- End quote ---

No, the spring will not change weight or "loosen up" over time.  Are you absolutely sure both were "cherry" reds?  There are many brands that sell mx switches with red stems and their springs will all feel different. 

If the weight is bothering you, you should probably consider getting something with different switches than what you have currently.  There are several switches out there with lightweight springs if you decide to build something yourself.  Or for premade, Gateron white are sometimes an option, and very lightweight.

--- End quote ---

It is possible Cherry F'd up & put black springs into a batch of reds destined to an OEM? Remember the silent blacks that had red springs NK got awhile back? At least I think it was silent blacks with red springs, either way it was Cherry switches is my point LOL! OP what keyboard are we talking about?

acidthrot:
its a corsair k63 so just an old corsair board. i had the same keyboard before with the exact switches but these new ones feel a fair bit heavier its actually causing some discomfort, but maybe the old reds are heavier cause they are worn in more ?? im not sure if a gaming board would have the wrong springs in the switches

Rob27shred:

--- Quote from: acidthrot on Thu, 21 September 2023, 22:11:09 ---its a corsair k63 so just an old corsair board. i had the same keyboard before with the exact switches but these new ones feel a fair bit heavier its actually causing some discomfort, but maybe the old reds are heavier cause they are worn in more ?? im not sure if a gaming board would have the wrong springs in the switches

--- End quote ---

The fact that it is a gaming board or a Corsair wouldn't make a difference. Cherry could've made the mistake (as they have before) & I highly doubt Corsair would check the switches to see what spring they have. They'd just see the red slider & assume all is good most likely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version