Author Topic: OEM Discussion (Originally iOne Discussion) - The Good And The Bad?  (Read 56449 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Hey guys before I start can we please keep it as a healthy and well informed discussion.  I know it's very easily to jump into a bashing war but I'd rather we have a discussion backed up with proofs.  Thanks !!!

List of Topre Keyboards:
Realforce - trademark and brand owned by Topre, see here
PFU Limited - contract customer of Topre for HHKB.
Leopold - Leopold is only the distributor for only the 87U.
Diatec - AKA Filco! Distributor for 91UDK-G, 91UBY (Yellow)
JUSTSYSTEM - 91ATOX (programmable key version?)
ILOVEX - The green and yellow monstrosity.
EliteKeyboards - Exclusive United States distributor (all models) to my knowledge.

So here's how it works. Topre manufactures all Topre switch keyboards to my knowledge. (Not sure if it's direct or indirect.) But they do not have a distribution channel for keyboards - their primary industries are things like refrigerated trucks, industrial paint application, you get the idea.

Now we're really confused, no? Here's how supply chain works for Realforce, abridged version.
Topre makes keyboards -> keyboards go to MAIN distribution -> shipped to regional distributor (think Ingram Micro, TechData equivalent) -> regional ships to retail -> you buy your keyboard from retail.
Topre makes contract order keyboard -> keyboards go to contract customer (e.g. PFU, ILOVEX) directly -> contract customer supply chain.

So for example, with the 87U what they might do is just ship all of them to Leopold who then sells and ships to retail (e.g. EK) so that Topre doesn't have to worry about any of it. So technically they're all distributed by Leopold, since Leopold is handling the distribution chain. But for a 105U they might ship direct to certain retailers, and through distributors for other regions. Leopold won't sell them to other retail channels in the US because EK has an exclusivity agreement, but is free to sell them to anyone they want in say, Japan or Taiwan or Europe. It's very complicated and confusing, yes.

Thank rootwyrm for all the Topre info  :P

List of Costar Keyboards:
GEEKHACK FAVORITE
Filco - Sounds like geekhack's most recommended.  Though I would like to hear if there's any problems with this.  For example the debatable "ping" issue.
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - The most recommended bang for the buck keyboard, sometimes recommend over Filco.  Although only tenkeyless option available.
OTHER GOOD ONES
CM Storm QuickFire Trigger - A lot of confusion on this one but it's actually a Costar board confirmed by Carter.  Though doesn't seem to be as popular as QuickFire Rapid (most likely because of price and macro keys).
Last Gen Das Keyboard - Aside from the glossy finish, seems like a very good option.  The cheapest full size Costar board available next to Rosewill.
WASD Keyboards - A good solid option and let you customize your keycaps also.  Though can get very expensive very quickly depends on what you do with it.
Thermaltake MEKA G1 - Doesn't seem too popular either, too gamer?
Mionix Zibal 60 - Doesn't seem popular, maybe because it's expensive and it's green?
DEBATABLE
Rosewill 9000 - The cheapest fulll size Costar board, goes on sale occasionally for super cheap.  Has mini b connector issue that might or might not have been fixed.

Do keep in mind even though Costar is highly regarded amongst the forums, but they still vary in quality between brands.  For example Filco is consider higher quality than CM Storm and Rosewill.

List of iRocks Keyboards:
Thermaltake MEKA - MEKA NOT MEKA G1, different model.  This one is sort of like CM Storm TK layout with dedicated arrow key, quality unknown.
Rosewill 9100 - Backlit version of Rosewill keyboards, quality unknown.

List of Ducky Keyboards:
MOST RECOMMENDED BACKLIT
Ducky Shine II 9008/9087 - Made in Taiwan.  High quality backlit boards, one of the best backlit mechanical keyboards.
NEW
Ducky Zero 2008/2087 - Made in China.  New lineup to replaced the 1008/1087 series.  So far well received.
OLD
Ducky 1008/1087 - Made in Taiwan.  Though the 1000 series aren't so well received.

List of iOne Keyboards:
NOT WELL RECEIVED
Razer Blackwidow - Seems like there are a lot of negative feedback on it, but at the same time I heard a lot of people have no issues with it.  So not too sure.
Razer Blackwidow 2013 - It appears that the quality remains the same for their 2013 edition.
XArmor U9BL - I heard this is just bad, won't argue with it.
iOne Scorpious U9BL - Same as above.
HOWEVER
QPAD MK-85 - I heard this is actually a decent keyboard.
Max Keyboard - Same as the QPAD, I've mostly only heard great reviews regarding those.
AND
Monoprice - No review yet.
Adesso - No clue also.
CM Storm QuickFire Pro - Sounds like the main complaint is the regarding the plug, but I heard it's just people didn't plug it in all the way.  And got member stating that this actually has quality comparable to Costar boards.

This is a quote from Carter from OCN:
Moving away from that, iOne was actually not an awful manufacturer for us. The Pro unfortunately caught a bad wrap because we went with a snap method on the USB connector which required quite a bit of force to plug in.... In certain regions (Everywhere except North America) this was considered a really nice and secure fit/feature. The market here, was unable to plug in the keyboard properly and thus we had a "DOA" failure rate which was astronomical & deadly to the boards lifespan. In actuality the boards were perfectly fine.....

Source:  http://www.overclock.net/t/1316851/new-cooler-master-quickfire-tk-keyboard/60#post_18621069

List of Datacomp Keyboards:
SteelSeries 6GV2 - Decent keyboard from what I've heard.  Though I think this would definitely sell better if they just did a proper ANSI and ISO layouts instead of mixing it.

List of TG3 Keyboards:
Deck - Really high quality backlit keyboard with price tag around $180.  Has PBT dye sub keycaps (Clear plastic dye sub with black surrounding).  However only has MX Black and MX Clear switches choices at the moment.  Also some describe the font choice as "crayon scribble".

List of Plum Keyboards:
Plum - Made in China, otherwise unknown OEM.  Good soldering but questionable housing and keycaps, also loose keycaps.

List of Sunsky Technology Keyboards:
Noppoo Choc Mini - Made in China, don't know too much about quality.

Boards With Unknown Manufactures:
THE GOOD
Leopold - Thought they were made in Korea then one memeber claimed it's made in Taiwan.  But 2 member later claimed it's made in China, so I wonder if they changed OEM also.
THE UNKNOWN
Corsair K60 - One vote for this being actually good as oppose to K90.
Corsair K90 - Mostly negative feedback on this one.
New Das Keyboard - Not iOne, not Costar, and made in China.  Based on the new amazon review it appears that the new ones are indeed inferior to the old ones (Costar).
CM Storm TK - Not iOne, not Costar.
Logitech G710+ - No info at all, just doesn't look like Costar.  Seems really good quality but a lot of customers have reported LED flickering/dying early on.

Based on Carter's quote from the same article:
The OEM of TK is not one ever mentioned in Mechanical Keyboard market. Its quite funny as they have done several popular boards and manufacture one of the biggest hyped releases recently.

I'm guessing he's hinting Logitech G710+, so I wonder if CM Storm TK is made in the same place.

So what do you guys think, again keep it civil please.

EDIT:  Converted to OEM Discussion so we can talk about all the OEMs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2013, 21:16:25 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline FoxWolf1

Re: iOne Discussion - Are they really as bad as people claimed?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:16:20 »
You've missed out Adesso and Monoprice from your list of iOne boards.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:25:11 »
This will be fun!

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:27:49 »
I didn't mind my Blackwidow while it lasted, other than the fact it's a total finger print magnet, but now that I have seen the rust on it, I have to wonder what the heck went wrong.. Also saw a Das (Not sure what one, but it's on these forums) that has become rusted as well.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:49:34 »

Ok I'll add them in but I haven't heard any reviews regarding those yet so I don't know if they're good or bad.

I didn't mind my Blackwidow while it lasted, other than the fact it's a total finger print magnet, but now that I have seen the rust on it, I have to wonder what the heck went wrong.. Also saw a Das (Not sure what one, but it's on these forums) that has become rusted as well.

Uh which part rusted?  The plate mount?  Or stabilizer bars?  I don't think there are too many metal parts in a keyboard?  >___>

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:54:55 »
I'll contribute some OEMs you've heard of but probably didn't know make keyboards (or have the capability to do so):
Hon Hai (AKA Foxconn)
Delta Electronics (no, seriously.)
Win Industry Company (primarily industrial keypads and flexible pad type)
Tai Hao (who specializes in - wait for it - mechanical keyboards and is based in Taiwan)
Cherry Corporation does some contract manufacturing (you provide the design, they provide the parts and knowhow.)
Keytronic is still cranking out solid parts year after year and a big ODM people forget about.
Mototech - which is another design and build house - think they're part of Accton and rolled together with Joy now?
Digitec Technology used to make some of Logitech's keyboards, think they're still around as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:59:26 by rootwyrm »
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 22:19:42 »

Ok I'll add them in but I haven't heard any reviews regarding those yet so I don't know if they're good or bad.

Uh which part rusted?  The plate mount?  Or stabilizer bars?  I don't think there are too many metal parts in a keyboard?  >___>

Plate mount.

Blackwidow:

Das Keyboard:

Costar model, Ultimate S, btw. TheQsanity is the owner of this one.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline zongeva

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 23:45:28 »
Who's the OEM for Corsair K60 and K90?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 23:47:43 »
Mmmmm I wonder if it has to do with the location (humidity country) or using habit (spill water)?  Do you know how long has these boards been used?

Last time I pop open my Das it looks fine (10 months old).

I'll contribute some OEMs you've heard of but probably didn't know make keyboards (or have the capability to do so):
Hon Hai (AKA Foxconn)
Delta Electronics (no, seriously.)
Win Industry Company (primarily industrial keypads and flexible pad type)
Tai Hao (who specializes in - wait for it - mechanical keyboards and is based in Taiwan)
Cherry Corporation does some contract manufacturing (you provide the design, they provide the parts and knowhow.)
Keytronic is still cranking out solid parts year after year and a big ODM people forget about.
Mototech - which is another design and build house - think they're part of Accton and rolled together with Joy now?
Digitec Technology used to make some of Logitech's keyboards, think they're still around as well.

lol cool that's a nice list there I'll check them out.  Though some of them look like they have weird layout  :P

Who's the OEM for Corsair K60 and K90?

I've been wondering the same too.  Also seems like Ducky and Leopold are both made in Taiwan but we don't know which company.  I'll add them to the list.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 23:58:41 by Hyde »

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 23:54:39 »
I certainly didn't spill anything on the BW, and I used it for umm about 14ish months until it got the double key pressing issues.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 00:10:21 »
Could have been a manufacturing defect - paint not evenly applied to the plate for example.  Or stored in a damp warehouse prior to distribution.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 00:12:58 »
Ahhhh then I'm not too sure, I'll let you know if it happens to me later.

Could have been a manufacturing defect - paint not evenly applied to the plate for example.  Or stored in a damp warehouse prior to distribution.

Sounds legit lol.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 00:27:45 »
I'm still wondering about that random letter z that shows on there, as well.. seems odd.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 02:28:47 »
Well hello guys. This looks like a nice thread to bash on some companies...

j/k, I think the paint coming off on the inside is not a big issue. At least in my case. You can't tell unless you take some keys off. If you got it NIB and you can see it rusted before you take some keys off, that may be more of an issue.(my Das is Costar)

On a more important note, You should probably list some Costar keyboards with their known defects. Since these two are the two big names. It wouldn't be fair and bias if we listed just one manufacture. If you guys want to be superstars, you could add other OEMs and other keyboards with unknown OEMs into a category.

I am actually a little more of an iOne fan believe it or not. The bashing and what not has made them undesirable, which is good, thus making people not buy them, thus making the prices cheaper. I am currently waiting for another big slip-up to happen. That is when I will be in the market for iOne, but not a Razer. They are just bad all around. If you have been watching (ebay), you could have seen the prices drop dramatically over the past half year. Hope there still aren't anymore people buying RBWU.

The prices on the new RBW line aren't too bad and actually look kind of nice. Too bad they lost my loyalty. When I am comparing the durability or reliability of a keyboard, I  consider the product over the cost, giving me the value. Ducky is not very good in my opinion because it just costs too much. I have heard bad things about Ducky but have also heard that they have "gotten a lot better" also. The Quick Fire Pro on the other hand feels just like their other Costar counterparts, if not better. So I would say feel and sturdiness is not to be confused with reliable as I hear those terms thrown around together a lot. Some keyboards may feel solid but have faulty PBCs or firmware and others may feel light and flimsy but still work great.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 03:46:12 »
I have a wireless xarmor for my HTPC and though its not built as well as say a filco or any comparible board it hasnt fallen apart yet.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 07:23:12 »
From what I've heard the QPad board is just a rebranded XArmor, I don't think they've made any significant changes other than the branding as it's not the only rebranded product they sell.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 07:26:08 »
To be honest, Corsair K60 is one of the best built keyboards on the market. I have never felt such quality.
If it wouldnt be so ugly and using domes on some keys I would still have it :P

Offline xyril

• Youtube Channel (full of typing and gaming vods)
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 07:28:55 »
Im sorry , does Quickfire Rapid is  iOne or costar? :)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 07:29:16 »
Im sorry , does Quickfire Rapid is  iOne or costar? :)
The QFR is Costar

Offline wetto

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 08:41:45 »
To be honest, Corsair K60 is one of the best built keyboards on the market. I have never felt such quality.
If it wouldnt be so ugly and using domes on some keys I would still have it :P

Kinda weird... The K60 may be good as you say (but I dislike its price tag), but now, the K90 is a horrible piece of crap. Not only are many of its keys rubber domes (especially the macros), but Corsair's macro software sucks more than what I've seen on US$ 30 gaming keyboards. It's just terrible and unfortunately my mouse has the same Macro system as it and honestly, when your mouse's firmware gets corrupted just because you changed a DPI setting, you know that they did something very wrong.

Also, one of the few K90s I knew just died soon after shutting down a PC.

And actually, one of the reasons why they feel so durable, is that rather than making a PCB > Aluminium Plate > Plastic cover, they just eliminated the plastic cover and made most of the keyboard of Aluminium, thus making it seem like it's more durable than other mechanical keyboards, while I don't think that's actually true...
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 08:44:06 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 08:54:59 »
Leopold - I always thought they were made in Korea but some member mentioned the bottom label says made in Taiwan.

Just looked at the label on my leopold at work it says, "Made in China". It's a full size not a tenless so they may be built in different places.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 09:02:37 »
Leopold - I always thought they were made in Korea but some member mentioned the bottom label says made in Taiwan.

Just looked at the label on my leopold at work it says, "Made in China". It's a full size not a tenless so they may be built in different places.
I'm is a TKL and made in China.

Offline Hyde

Re: OEM Discussion (Originally iOne Discussion) - The Good And The Bad?
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 13:08:04 »
Ok updated info on Corsair K60, Leopold, and added SteelSeries 6GV2 and Costar OEM  :)

From what I've heard the QPad board is just a rebranded XArmor, I don't think they've made any significant changes other than the branding as it's not the only rebranded product they sell.

I heard the internal is heavily updated and added a lot more features on the QPAD and Max Keyboards, for example they have resister on all the LEDs and also added internal memory (so when you reboot it saves setting).

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 13:43:27 »
I've got one for ya under unknown... Plum.  I own two of their 96 key boards.  PCB mounted, PBT or POM laser etched keycaps.  Lots of modding options and has a blue-tooth.  The soldering quality is great, quality of housing and keycaps are questionable.  The keycaps are easy to remove and do not fit tightly.  One of my boards came without the feet which would prop up the board.  Usually available to us over Taobao
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 13:45:39 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline wetto

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 14:35:35 »
I've got one for ya under unknown... Plum.  I own two of their 96 key boards.  PCB mounted, PBT or POM laser etched keycaps.  Lots of modding options and has a blue-tooth.  The soldering quality is great, quality of housing and keycaps are questionable.  The keycaps are easy to remove and do not fit tightly.  One of my boards came without the feet which would prop up the board.  Usually available to us over Taobao

And also the next keyboard I'm buying, for sure.

And I mean, US$ 100 with shipping to my country? Dang, that's cheap for all it offers!  ;D
My collection:
More

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 14:55:16 »

Hmm. Interesting. This thread made me do some google searching. I only really was able to find leopolds with a label saying they were made in China.
A review with some pictures.
A page for a FC700R showing the back label. It's small but you can see Made in China.

But then I found a few reviews for some tenless version that show they were made in Taiwan.
One review
Second review

I don't know what this means exactly but leopolds have at one point been made in China and in Taiwan.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 15:04:11 »
The 6GV2 and 7G are both Costar CST104 variant. The 6GV2 is closer to the 'stock.' This is also true of the Thermaltake Meka G1 and WASDKeyboards as well. They are all the exact same base model, with changes made to meet OEM design. The controllers are directly swappable when feature matched. So all four of those are known to be CST104.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 15:11:45 »
Ahhhh cool I'll update the list.  Also adding Plum.

Thanks guys, keep the feedbacks coming  :D

Offline wetto

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 15:27:52 »
Ahhhh cool I'll update the list.  Also adding Plum.

Thanks guys, keep the feedbacks coming  :D

Hyde, I think both PLUM and DUCKY are also OEMs...

If I'm not mistaken, PLUM also makes Nopooo keyboards.
My collection:
More

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 15:41:03 »
The 6GV2 and 7G are both Costar CST104 variant. The 6GV2 is closer to the 'stock.' This is also true of the Thermaltake Meka G1 and WASDKeyboards as well. They are all the exact same base model, with changes made to meet OEM design. The controllers are directly swappable when feature matched. So all four of those are known to be CST104.

SS are Datacomps. The PCB and component choices are highly similar to known MIT Leopolds (Datacomp made).

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:13:51 »
SS are Datacomps. The PCB and component choices are highly similar to known MIT Leopolds (Datacomp made).

Really now? That raises an interesting question. Question being whether Datacomp == Costar or there's something else going on. I haven't been able to confirm the 6GV2/7G, but I have on WASD. And the controllers are literally identical to a marked CST104 right down to the PN. I don't mean "figurative" identical. I mean WASD's got the omitted U1 on a 94VB and the Meka G1 has U1 on a 94UD part number. (AKA Costar "Sydney" - silk screening varies.) That MAY be WASDv1 vs v2 though?

But more to the Datacomp question; how is it they're experiencing the exact same keycap defects? And I do mean exact same - you'd have to do some serious chemical and mechanical analysis to have any hope of telling them apart. (Hell, look at the reviews. Identical complaints. Identical timespans.) So are Datacomp and Costar using the same third party for keycaps? I was under the impression both of them also made their own keycaps.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:25:20 »
My 6Gv2 has "DCK101" under the spacebar. Note that it has weird layout, Cherry stabilizers (I've heard they're knock-offs), no legs and some other specific "features".

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:28:18 »
I hear there are only 2 manufacturers for MX caps in Taiwan. They are not molded in house at Datacomp/CST.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:33:33 »
BTW I would add Tt eSports Meka (non-G1) to the list. It's made by iRocks (made in Taiwan). I'm not sure about rating though — it feels quite solid, but the rest is... ummm... it has weird layout, bit too stiff Cherry-style stabilizers (especially in combination with Cherry MX Black) etc.

It should be also noted that backlit Rosewills probably aren't made by Costar.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:40:44 »
I hear there are only 2 manufacturers for MX caps in Taiwan. They are not molded in house at Datacomp/CST.

That would explain it then, yes. The question then becomes who's providing who, because one of them is definitely shipping large numbers of defective parts. And Datacomp and Costar are both using the same one for at least some orders, if not all of them.

But yes - the 6GV2 is definitely an OEM DCK100, so I stand corrected! What's particularly interesting there is the severe derating of the switches. Datacomp is saying 20M cycle for Cherry MX - versus Cherry's stated rating of 50M operations. I'll have to do some poking of my sources, see if I can find out some more info. (There is a reason I presumed Costar, but I can't give details.)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:43:58 »
I believe the site is just old info. The cherry switches were rated for 20mil actuations until recently (50mil for blacks always I think).

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:45:14 »

There's almost no chance Rosewills are made by Costar, at least not consistently. Rosewill is in fact, Newegg. (Same owners, different name. It's the typical shady trick dating to the 90's.) Look downmarket - this is evidenced by their rebranded PSUs, generally rated between "junk" and "guaranteed to catch fire."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 16:59:16 »

There's almost no chance Rosewills are made by Costar, at least not consistently. Rosewill is in fact, Newegg. (Same owners, different name. It's the typical shady trick dating to the 90's.) Look downmarket - this is evidenced by their rebranded PSUs, generally rated between "junk" and "guaranteed to catch fire."
Here we go:
It was already determined it is made by iRocks and is a rebranded KR6251E. The bottom row was a real put off to me as well, I wouldn't buy one of them for that alone.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 17:03:53 »
RK9000 series are Costar. It has CST part number on the PCB. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/rosewill_rk_9000_mechanical_keyboard_review,4.html
Depending on the subcontracted manufacturing partner, Costar can vary from so so to OK.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 17:05:18 »
I believe the site is just old info. The cherry switches were rated for 20mil actuations until recently (50mil for blacks always I think).

Aye, from what I've heard, until fairly recently, only MX Black were rated for 50 million; the others were only rated for 20 million.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that they actually changed anything when they changed the ratings, which raises an interesting question...are all Cherry colors really equal in longevity?
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 17:31:06 »
RK9000 series are Costar. It has CST part number on the PCB. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/rosewill_rk_9000_mechanical_keyboard_review,4.html
Depending on the subcontracted manufacturing partner, Costar can vary from so so to OK.

Well, as I said, "it's not Costar consistently." You might put two RK9000's side by side and have two entirely different manufacturers with entirely different quality. I've seen some of their non-keyboard rebrands where the 'same' part was two totally different manufacturers and components more than once. So even when it looks identical from the outside and has the same PN, there's no guarantee that it's the same.

Aye, from what I've heard, until fairly recently, only MX Black were rated for 50 million; the others were only rated for 20 million.

That's interesting and a half; I'm wondering if I was looking at different documents back then or I'm just misremembering. To the best of my memory, it was 50M previously for the entire line. I specifically remember early G80 family sales sheets for OEMs and resellers touting their 50M operation lifecycle. (Don't remember if they were actually Cherry sheets or IM/TD sheets.) But this was years and years ago - '97ish I think. Honestly, 50M is probably still low, but a reasonable average. Plus I think we still have the open question of whether or not it's electrical operations or mechanical operations, don't we?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 17:56:33 »
You might put two RK9000's side by side and have two entirely different manufacturers with entirely different quality. I've seen some of their non-keyboard rebrands where the 'same' part was two totally different manufacturers and components more than once. So even when it looks identical from the outside and has the same PN, there's no guarantee that it's the same.

The thing is, they can be different manufacturers and still fall under the label of Costar.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
OEM Discussion (Originally iOne Discussion) - The Good And The Bad?
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 18:19:57 »
We need a wiki page for all this.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 18:23:11 »
Wiki </3
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 18:24:42 »

Yupe someone else should do it because I'm lazy LOL.  Originally made it because I feel sorry for iOne but really didn't intend for this to get this big LOLLLL.  Though I'll try to update this as much as I can and hopefully this will help new users making their choices.

Updated Datacomp, Ducky, Plum, iRocks as OEM list.  On a random note, why would anyone name their brand Noppoo?  Sounds like no poo as in constipated  :confused:
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 18:34:50 by Hyde »

Offline wetto

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 19:39:51 »

Yupe someone else should do it because I'm lazy LOL.  Originally made it because I feel sorry for iOne but really didn't intend for this to get this big LOLLLL.  Though I'll try to update this as much as I can and hopefully this will help new users making their choices.

Updated Datacomp, Ducky, Plum, iRocks as OEM list.  On a random note, why would anyone name their brand Noppoo?  Sounds like no poo as in constipated  :confused:

Well, still better than naming a brand Rapoo and selling low quality keyboards with fake Cherry switches.

Dem yellows  ;D
My collection:
More

Offline amarshonarbangla

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 22:29:38 »
How's the Razer Blackwidow 2013? I have been hearing it's better than its predecessor when it comes to build quality. Is that true? Are they still made by iOne?

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 22:41:30 »

Well, still better than naming a brand Rapoo and selling low quality keyboards with fake Cherry switches.

Show Image

Dem yellows  ;D

They also have a more expensive one with real Cherry switches, the V5. The V7 is more of a "budget" model.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 02:04:25 »

Hmm. Interesting. This thread made me do some google searching. I only really was able to find leopolds with a label saying they were made in China.
A review with some pictures.
A page for a FC700R showing the back label. It's small but you can see Made in China.

But then I found a few reviews for some tenless version that show they were made in Taiwan.
One review
Second review

I don't know what this means exactly but leopolds have at one point been made in China and in Taiwan.
Why the hell I wrote "I'm" instead of mine is beyond me. Anyways, only thing I can think of is they changed countries of production to make the FC700R. Either way, it feels like a great keyboard, except I hate the caps on it  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 03:44:22 »
I reckon you are TKL, MissMurd3r84.  Unless you have a numeric keypad growing out of your forehead ;)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 05:35:37 »
FYI, costar keyboards have varying quality between different brands. The costar in Filco is superior to costar in CM quickfire and Rosewill. This is based on 3 filcos, 3 CM quickfire, and 2 Rosewill that I've opened up and desoldered.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 13:07:40 »
How's the Razer Blackwidow 2013? I have been hearing it's better than its predecessor when it comes to build quality. Is that true? Are they still made by iOne?

Yupe need more REVIEWS coming guys, so someone please answer that thanks  :D

FYI, costar keyboards have varying quality between different brands. The costar in Filco is superior to costar in CM quickfire and Rosewill. This is based on 3 filcos, 3 CM quickfire, and 2 Rosewill that I've opened up and desoldered.

Cool I'll make a note in the original post thanks !

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 23:43:58 »
@FoxWolf

What are those fake Cherry Yellow Switches?

Is there a force graph for them somewhere?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline wetto

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 23:57:42 »
@FoxWolf

What are those fake Cherry Yellow Switches?

Is there a force graph for them somewhere?

Those are Kailh (a.k.a fail) switches, a company that rips off AVAGO switches and Cherry switches. You can see more about the switch here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35468.0

And about the company itself here on their official website:
http://www.kailh.com/

And here's a portfolio of their ripoffs:

Well well well...
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2012, 23:59:33 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline VoDivineDark

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 19:49:24 »
Just wanted to pop in with some feedback on the Blackwidow. I own the 2011, 2012, and just retured a 2013 BWU, and Razer just keeps kicking me in the nuts with that board. I have to give it some credit, though. It was the board to get me into mechanicals, but the failure rate and fit/finish is just sub par. It is, of course, a member of the ill fated iOne family. I think that compared to the other iOne boards I've used, the Razer is definitely one of the nicer, but the backlighting failure rate, 2KRO, hot and cold software function, HORRIBLE placement of the macro buttons, and hollow feeling just ruin what I keep hoping will be a board that I can come back to.

I just purchased and returned the new 2013 BWU. I hoped that after hearing all of the hype it meant that Razer tightened up their quality control on this board, but after spending several hours pounding away with it, I came to a realization. It's the same damn board that I've got sitting on a shelf in my basement. The feel was the exact same, and considering both of my BWU's have failed on me, I just started getting that old iOne feeling again. I needed to return it before I got stuck with the damn thing.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 21:14:13 »
Thanks for the feedback !!!  Added Razer Blackwidow 2013 to the original post.

Offline wetto

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 21:18:37 »
Thank you, your feedback may save money of many people who think that the new Blackwidow is actually good but haven't tried one.

But can't say anything about the Razertards. They'll buy anything as soon as there's Razer written on it, even if it is a ridiculous keyboard with a LCD screen for US$ 250 or more.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 December 2012, 21:20:10 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 00:06:40 »
But can't say anything about the Razertards. They'll buy anything as soon as there's Razer written on it, even if it is a ridiculous keyboard with a LCD screen for US$ 250 or more.
Link broken
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 13:54:58 »
Link broken

Seems to work for me, but I'd say it's not as bad as $300 rubber dome http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5529&idCategory=262&scid=MC_Strike7  :P

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 17:40:47 »
...I'd say it's not as bad as $300 rubber dome http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5529&idCategory=262&scid=MC_Strike7  :P
When I saw ur post I thought u were making a joke against Topre.  :))

But then I clicked the link and saw that you meant one of those horrible rubber dome over membrane keyboards.  :eek:

Offline Hyde

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 22:35:15 »
lol don't worry topre is totally worth the $300, or at least I hope so because I'm buying one later next year  :P

Sometimes I forget topres has rubber dome components lol.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 18:50:33 »
Hm...

Is PLU (no M...PLU, not PLUM) an OEM? They seem to also make the Team Scorpion gaming mechs...or maybe the relationship is some other kind of partnership? Hard to tell.

Could add TG3 to the list, for stuff under the TG3 brand and Deck.

Also, I was thinking a little bit earlier about Kailh switches. It must be rather tempting for keyboard makers to consider Kailhs, not just because of price issues, but also because it seems like Cherry is always running out of one switch type or another. Would suck to get screwed over just because some bigger brand decided to monopolize the switch you needed...

Offline wetto

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:12:09 »
Hm...

Is PLU (no M...PLU, not PLUM) an OEM? They seem to also make the Team Scorpion gaming mechs...or maybe the relationship is some other kind of partnership? Hard to tell.

Could add TG3 to the list, for stuff under the TG3 brand and Deck.

Also, I was thinking a little bit earlier about Kailh switches. It must be rather tempting for keyboard makers to consider Kailhs, not just because of price issues, but also because it seems like Cherry is always running out of one switch type or another. Would suck to get screwed over just because some bigger brand decided to monopolize the switch you needed...

Thing is, the moment people hear the keyboard has Cherry MX Knockoffs and there's authentic Cherry MX Keyboards at the same pricetag, you know what will happen.

Besides, the quality of Kailh switches just sucks. They're known for making OMRON knockoffs too.
My collection:
More

Offline nullstring

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:36:23 »
FWIW, I love my two rosewill boards. I hardly consider them debatable and would not at all hesitate recommending them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:39:09 by nullstring »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 21:35:48 »
FWIW, I love my two rosewill boards. I hardly consider them debatable and would not at all hesitate recommending them.

I only put it as debatable due the mini b plug issue.  Are both your boards still working perfectly as intended?  Also how long has it been?

==============================================================================

EDIT:  Adding TG3.  And I wonder when they gonna fix their font, it's really one of the main reasons putting me back from buying a Deck.  Reason no. 2 is because I don't like heavy switches  :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 21:44:18 by Hyde »

Offline Joe6pack

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 03:59:52 »

I can verify this.  I got two Rosewill keyboards from different stores for the last three weeks.  One is a bad one.  I couldn't get it connected even I tried on different connectors and hooked up to two different computers.  They have no problem in getting a RMA but I have to pay shipping.  This is a defected item and I have to shell out $17.00 to ship it back negated the promo prices I paid. 

It was a hit and miss for Rosewill stuff I got from Newegg.  Most of them were good.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 09:58:35 »
Both of my Leopolds say "Made in Taiwan"
9145-0

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 10:28:55 »
I have a brand new Rosewill.  It works great and I love the cherry red switches except that they are toooo short.

But the deal is, the USB connector is wobbly and the cable is the most retarded cable of all time.  This has obviously been designed to break on purpose.  They could have supplied an off-the-shelf cable.  But they went to a lot of trouble to cook up some wierdo super stiff cable.

So u should keep them in the "dodgy" category for now.

About the Taiwan / China thing:
Many years ago (1980s - 1990s) I used to buy things from Taiwan.  But the products always said "Made in China".  I inquired in the 1990s and they said it was because of the USA's stupid "One China" policy and that lots of stuff made in Taiwan is stamped with "Made in China"

So either:
A: They lied to me.

B: There is a trick where a Taiwanese company would want to label their goods as "Made in China" and get some benefit somehow.

C: No trick and no lie but the CEO of that company was simply a pro-communist guy.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 11:17:26 »
Well Taiwan = "Republic of China"...maybe that has something to do with it?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 11:30:59 »
Think they would put republic of china then?

Saw a ziabol 60 at frys, it was destroyed.. keycaps, stabilizers, everything...
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:34:36 »
Both of my Leopolds say "Made in Taiwan"
(Attachment Link)

I wonder if Leopold also pulled a Das Keyboard.  Like secretly switching OEM without people knowing.  Need to investigate into this lol.

As for the Taiwan thing, maybe back in the days not too many people know about Taiwan?  So maybe they just figure it's easier to write off at China.  But yeah these days it should all be properly labeled as "Made In Taiwan".

Saw a ziabol 60 at frys, it was destroyed.. keycaps, stabilizers, everything...

Why did they destroy it?

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 05 December 2012, 13:56:02 »
Why did they destroy it?

Because parents these days do a poor job of watching and educating their children.

Offline Eptar

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:06:40 »
Based on Carter's quote from the same article:
The OEM of TK is not one ever mentioned in Mechanical Keyboard market. Its quite funny as they have done several popular boards and manufacture one of the biggest hyped releases recently.

I'm guessing he's hinting Logitech G710+, so I wonder if CM Storm TK is made in the same place.

Hmm I'm definitely curious if this is the case.  After comparing a CM Trigger and QuickFire TK (both with blues) side by side, the TK keys have a distinctly more satisfying feel, as if they are slightly springier, while the Trigger feels a bit mushy comparatively.  The layout of the TK just wasn't working for me so I would love to figure out who the OEM is in the hopes of picking up a full size keyboard with a similar feel.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:28:02 »
@Eptar: Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline Hyde

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 19:47:45 »
Hmm I'm definitely curious if this is the case.  After comparing a CM Trigger and QuickFire TK (both with blues) side by side, the TK keys have a distinctly more satisfying feel, as if they are slightly springier, while the Trigger feels a bit mushy comparatively.  The layout of the TK just wasn't working for me so I would love to figure out who the OEM is in the hopes of picking up a full size keyboard with a similar feel.

Yeah I'm not sure what it is.  Even though CM Trigger is made by Costar but somehow I find their keys mushy like you said.

Like compare to the MX Brown I have on my Das it just feels weird, maybe the keycap material?  I'm not too sure  >____>

Offline Eptar

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 21:00:16 »
thanks rowdy!  I've spent so much damn time researching mechanical keyboards that I felt obligated to join hehe.

Hyde I am relieved to hear that you feel similarly about the Trigger.  I was actually thinking about getting a Das but all the complaints about the new ones have caused me to hold off.  Maybe I'll make a trip down to Frys and see if they have a G710+ out.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 21:46:28 »
thanks rowdy!  I've spent so much damn time researching mechanical keyboards that I felt obligated to join hehe.

Hyde I am relieved to hear that you feel similarly about the Trigger.  I was actually thinking about getting a Das but all the complaints about the new ones have caused me to hold off.  Maybe I'll make a trip down to Frys and see if they have a G710+ out.

At the moment if you want a Das, I'd say go for the Ultimate (blank) or Mac Edition.  They're still made by Costar so you're safe for the time being.  It is still the cheapest Costar made full size board unless you go for Rosewill (But then you pay for shipping).

I'm not big on the G710+ but mainly because I don't like macro keys also they have non-standard size modifier keys.  So if you want to buy a PBT set in the future it will be a pain in the butt.  I'd suggest you buy a Das Ultimate or Rosewill and get PBT keycaps down the road.  Otherwise for tenkeyless CM Storm QuickFire Rapid is pretty much the best option.  :)

Offline Human

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 11:47:47 »
I place my bet that Corsair K60 had the same OEM as Logitech and QF TK.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 11:53:35 »

At the moment if you want a Das, I'd say go for the Ultimate (blank) or Mac Edition.  They're still made by Costar so you're safe for the time being.  It is still the cheapest Costar made full size board unless you go for Rosewill (But then you pay for shipping).

I'm not big on the G710+ but mainly because I don't like macro keys also they have non-standard size modifier keys.  So if you want to buy a PBT set in the future it will be a pain in the butt.  I'd suggest you buy a Das Ultimate or Rosewill and get PBT keycaps down the road.  Otherwise for tenkeyless CM Storm QuickFire Rapid is pretty much the best option.  :)

Make sure you put the Das under misc chinese manufacturer.  People have suspicions, but upon review there are no issues with this keyboard except pad printed caps, and its a fingerprint magnet.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 13:11:07 »

Make sure you put the Das under misc chinese manufacturer.  People have suspicions, but upon review there are no issues with this keyboard except pad printed caps, and its a fingerprint magnet.

It seems that the manufacturer is most likely Solidyear.  They are Taiwanese.  Personally, I think the whole Das Keyboard thing has been blown entirely out of proportion.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 16:56:15 »

Check the latest reviews on Amazon. There *are* issues.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 17:37:33 »

Check the latest reviews on Amazon. There *are* issues.

Quality control is an issue with all products.  Excuse me for saying the one that I received is of a decent standard of quality.

It seems that the manufacturer is most likely Solidyear.  They are Taiwanese.  Personally, I think the whole Das Keyboard thing has been blown entirely out of proportion.

Unfortunately this would be odd considering the Das is made in China.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 17:39:34 »
I assumed this discussion was about quality control and stuff.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 18:00:34 »
I assumed this discussion was about quality control and stuff.

To an extent it is, but we have no idea of the actual quality control of this product.  Barely anyone on the forums have bought the new versions of this keyboard.  Amazon reviews are as useful as a box of wet matches at times.  One bad batch early in distribution and it kills the reviews.

One thing to mention is that as per the pictures I've provided about the new Das I've heard from multiple sources that the PCB quality is very VERY low.  It is frayed and shows ripples throughout the board.  It's a shame that with all of the good soldering, functional switches, good controller chips, and quality cable/strain relief that the PCB is made like horse sh!t smells.

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 18:23:31 »
To be honest, I think this CM QFR TK has good quality, I have just bought one recently, and there were no problems at all, except it looking smashing, and built like a rock. *Trust me.. I tried throwing the keyboard.. from a height and angle* The maximum light function isn't that bright that you might be able to fire lasers through the WASD keyboards.

The only weird thing about it is the mods, it looks like G710+, which should explains if they belong to the same OEM. I have both Trigger and TK, the keycaps from TK has absolutely improved.. reason why is, after using Trigger for 2-3 days, massive WASD spamming and 123456 buttons, there are some scratches on the keycaps and the paint starts coming off from the sides, so I went on an experiment and tried to scratch the keycaps from TK to see if anything comes out and thinking they would be the same as trigger, but no, the keycaps has improved definitely. 

Oh, and it is not as heavy as the CM QFR, which is built like a tank! Definitely one of my fav keyboard still. I like the way the TK looks, it looks like a KMAC for some reason, except the top right with the CM branding and NM Lock, Caps, and scr lock.

This is mostly my review of the keyboard, built well, improved from Trigger by a lot, better looking keyboard, not rubberized. Please let me know if you guys need to see anything from the keyboard.  :))
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Terrorsathan

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:57:37 »
I've been a GH member for a handful of months now....  Read this forum for at least a month, until I decided to dive into "expensive/useless"... wait that was my girlfriend talking... MECHANICAL keyboards.

As my first mech kb, I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money. so I bought a QFR with MX blues.  I bet at this point you are wondering... why did I post in this thread?

Well... at first I blew off CM keyboards, after looking at countless Filco, HHK, VORTEX and others.  I figured, CM can't make a quality keyboard. Then I discovered that Costar manufactures a large portion of the worlds best MX based keyboards.

So back to the OG topic; Seem's to me that for MX boards, Costar is the knees.  Does anything think another manufacturer will 'dethrone' them? If yes, what would it take to do so? What features, level of build quality, materials used, and/or layout would it take?

Offline stingrae

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 20:14:30 »

Yeah I'm not sure what it is.  Even though CM Trigger is made by Costar but somehow I find their keys mushy like you said.

Like compare to the MX Brown I have on my Das it just feels weird, maybe the keycap material?  I'm not too sure  >____>

Surely this makes sense due to the Trigger having to use cherry style stabilizers due to backlighting? (which people do complain that they feel mushy).
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 21:00:20 »
Does it?  Because Costar came out with LED compatible stabs recently.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline iri

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 01:52:07 »
sure no one of you have cm qf pro? hehe
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 01:58:20 »

What's so odd about Taiwanese companies with factories in China?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 13:49:37 »

What's so odd about Taiwanese companies with factories in China?

Yeah it's true though.  A lot of Taiwanese company open factory in China these days because labour is cheaper.  For example Foxconn the company that makes iPhone is a Taiwanese company with factory in China.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 15:08:25 »
The fun part is that they can claim Taiwan or China at their preference provided they have a logistics facility in either. The attached declarations are for Country of Origin. All that really means is: where it shipped from or where final assembly took place. Which could constitute nothing more than packaging - that can count as 'final assembly.'
Case in point, Apple's making a big deal about 'building iMacs in the USA.' All they're doing is final assembly - very few, if any of the components are actually made on this continent. So take country of origin with a truckload of salt. Chances are it was made in mainland China anyways. Remember that ODMs build to customer spec. If the customer says 'sloppy solder' they do sloppy solder. If the customer says 'I want it flawless' they make it flawless.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 07:55:41 »
Yet another keyboard to the list: Thermaltake eSports Meka G-Unit. I'm not sure which OEM, though. Mine is made in China, listed as Solid Year (same as Meka, which is a modified I-Rocks design) in lsusb, uses Cherry-style stabilizers, has big-ass Enter and wide Backspace (similar to 6Gv2), but right Win/Mod4 key is missing, non-backlit keys are laser-etched, at least on the white version (very similar to MS Natural Keyboard Elite).
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 December 2012, 07:57:16 by davkol »

Offline wetto

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 08:57:19 »
Yet another keyboard to the list: Thermaltake eSports Meka G-Unit. I'm not sure which OEM, though. Mine is made in China, listed as Solid Year (same as Meka, which is a modified I-Rocks design) in lsusb, uses Cherry-style stabilizers, has big-ass Enter and wide Backspace (similar to 6Gv2), but right Win/Mod4 key is missing, non-backlit keys are laser-etched, at least on the white version (very similar to MS Natural Keyboard Elite).

Don't forget onboard soundcard, something that's not found on most keyboards...
My collection:
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 09:02:18 »
Sure, but it can be model-specific, while I'm trying to determine what OEM/design is it. I would say I-Rocks, but who knows?

Offline Morppoo

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:00:14 »
Hyde & All,

Codehead, at the Desk Thority website, reviewed a Noppoo Choc Mini keyboard. A little more than half way down on that site (link below), he wrote:

"Fun fact: I managed to find out that this company is probably the OEM of the board http://www.sunsky-online.com/base/doc!v ... de=aboutUs  Discovered it via Alibaba a month ago..."

Later edit:  Here is the intended link (above) that works:

http://www.sunsky-online.com/base/doc!view.do?code=aboutUs

Here is the link where Codehead made that statement during his Noppoo review:

http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/a-keyboard-love-story-iv-noppoo-choc-mini-black-pom-t2962.html

I did a Google search on that SunSky entity he named, and I think he is correct.  That company indeed appears to be the OEM of Noppoo keyboards.  To backup, here is the information I found using the above indicated website link:

The firm's full name is Shenzhen Sunsky Technology Limited, a manufacturer of digital products, game accessories, computer peripherals, and mobile phone accessories, located Shenzhen, China. It's a wholly-owned subsidiary of EforChina Limited, which operates numerous electronics factories, according the their website.

Here is more evidence of that fact, on another Sunsky Technology’s website. Notice how they are selling case lots of 16 (or more) Noppoo keyboards (bulk sales), because they manufacture them and sell them in bulk to resellers:

http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/245035/Noppoo+Choc+Mini+84+Keys+USB+Portable+Mechanical+Gaming+Keyboard+Cherry+MX+Black+++NKRO.htm

Anyway, I think we now know who the OEM of Noppoo keyboards is.  Do you agree?

I recently bought a Noppoo Choc Mid 87.  I, too, became interested in who manufactured this product.  Googling around, I found this site and those sites indicated above.

Morppoo
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 February 2013, 06:14:50 by Morppoo »

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:34:53 »
Hyde & All,

Codehead, at the Desk Thority website, reviewed a Noppoo Choc Mini keyboard. A little more than half way down on that site (link below), he wrote:

"Fun fact: I managed to find out that this company is probably the OEM of the board http://www.sunsky-online.com/base/doc!v ... de=aboutUs  Discovered it via Alibaba a month ago..."

Here is the link where Codehead made that statement during his Noppoo review:

http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/a-keyboard-love-story-iv-noppoo-choc-mini-black-pom-t2962.html

I did a Google search on that SunSky entity he named, and I think he is correct.  That company indeed appears to be the OEM of Noppoo keyboards.  To backup, here is the information I found using the above indicated website link:

The firm's full name is Shenzhen Sunsky Technology Limited, a manufacturer of digital products, game accessories, computer peripherals, and mobile phone accessories, located Shenzhen, China. It's a wholly-owned subsidiary of EforChina Limited, which operates numerous electronics factories, according the their website.

Here is more evidence of that fact, on another Sunsky Technology’s website. Notice how they are selling case lots of 16 (or more) Noppoo keyboards (bulk sales), because they manufacture them and sell them in bulk to resellers:

http://www.sunsky-online.com/view/245035/Noppoo+Choc+Mini+84+Keys+USB+Portable+Mechanical+Gaming+Keyboard+Cherry+MX+Black+++NKRO.htm

Anyway, I think we now know who the OEM of Noppoo keyboards is.  Do you agree?

I recently bought a Noppoo Choc Mid 87.  I, too, became interested in who manufactured this product.  Googling around, I found this site and those sites indicated above.

Morppoo

Hmmm... notice at the bottom of the overview for this board is says "OEM are Welcome! we can print customer's artwork and logo".

Wonder what that means?
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Hyde

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:36:00 »
lol cool thanks for the info.  I thought this thread is dead but I guess people still remember about it  :P

I'll update the OEM list now but I'll update the description later tonight (don't have time to read the review yet).

Thanks dude !

Offline Morppoo

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 18:41:09 »
Lunartuna,

Quote: Hmmm... notice at the bottom of the overview for this board is says "OEM are Welcome! we can print customer's artwork and logo".

Wonder what that means?

I think it means that if you want to sell these keyboards, you can buy all you want and they'll put any logo on them you specify.  So, you can have them make your keyboards with a logo like Lesppoo, or whatever.  This would be more comforting than Morppoo.  Ha!

Morppoo

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 20:46:42 »
Hmmm... notice at the bottom of the overview for this board is says "OEM are Welcome! we can print customer's artwork and logo".

Wonder what that means?
OEM could mean both the actual manufacturer and label stampers.

Offline Morppoo

« Reply #100 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 05:46:07 »
All,

I forgot to mention in my earlier comments, I found the Moppoo website during my quest, here:

http://www.thenoppoo.com/world/

However, not much information at the site.

Morppoo

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:42:50 »
i have 2 monoprice blues coming into today for the office.  I'll grab some pictures and post them.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 10:37:00 »
However, not much information at the site.

There's more on the Chinese version; they don't really seem to update the international one.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:21:01 »
i have 2 monoprice blues coming into today for the office.  I'll grab some pictures and post them.

I got 2 monoprices in the mail today.  nothing spectacular as expected.  They design was slightly changed for some reason.  It's not the worst thing i've ever typed on but most certainly not the best.

http://imgur.com/a/QoJpn#0 - album
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Hyde

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:44:56 »

I got 2 monoprices in the mail today.  nothing spectacular as expected.  They design was slightly changed for some reason.  It's not the worst thing i've ever typed on but most certainly not the best.

http://imgur.com/a/QoJpn#0 - album

Looks like they start using stems similar to the Cherry 2.0 Mechanical Keyboard kind of style.  I heard it's less balanced compare to the OEM keycap stems.  Not sure how good it is on the Monoprice ones.

Also why do they to use gloss plastic.  Haven't they learn from Das Keyboard or Razer (though Razer did address that issue and corrected it)  =_____=

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 10:39:31 »
Just a pointer to the discussion about Topre.

BTW Hyde, care to update the list?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 23:54:25 »
Just a pointer to the discussion about Topre.

BTW Hyde, care to update the list?

Ahhhh cool, I'll add that in tomorrow.  Too sleepy now  :P

Offline Hyde

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 21:16:03 »
Updated Topre info and also added Ducky Zero.

Offline MakeshiftMuse

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 00:32:06 »
Brilliant posts, everyone.  I have no input here, but I felt like I should thank everyone for theirs because shopping for my first mechanical keyboard has been a researching nightmare.  This has helped tremendously!  :D
Are there any first-hand accounts of the Rosewill 9100 (illuminated)?  I know there's been a lot of posts about Rosewill in general, but has anyone used one of these?
Lesppoo, hahahaha!  :))
OH YEAH!  As far as LED reliability, is there any one board that really stands out?  I've read that DOA/short-lived LED's is a problem for the majority of backlit keyboards.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2013, 01:12:44 by MakeshiftMuse »

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 06:56:25 »
Brilliant posts, everyone.  I have no input here, but I felt like I should thank everyone for theirs because shopping for my first mechanical keyboard has been a researching nightmare.  This has helped tremendously!  :D
Are there any first-hand accounts of the Rosewill 9100 (illuminated)?  I know there's been a lot of posts about Rosewill in general, but has anyone used one of these?
Lesppoo, hahahaha!  :))
OH YEAH!  As far as LED reliability, is there any one board that really stands out?  I've read that DOA/short-lived LED's is a problem for the majority of backlit keyboards.

Try asking in the Simple questions, Simple answers thread found http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.0
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline qi3ber

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 18:37:32 »
I find myself in a similar situation to MakeshiftMuse, in that the information in this topic has been immensely helpful to me, and I wanted to thank you all for assembling it.

But since this is an OEM quality discussion, I have a question about Leopold.  I can see that Leopold is listed twice (under Topre and Unknown), but the only comments for them are that they are 'Good', where they are sourced and what type of keyboard they sell.

Is there anymore information about their boards besides the general comment of: 'Good'?
Leopold FC500 Browns

Offline Hyde

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 22:02:33 »
Reason for it to being listed twice because they generally only carry cherry MX boards, but they've recently announced to release 1 keyboard with Topre switch.

As for the quality, most members report it has similar quality to Filco.  Overall reception seems good, though with the rise of CM Storm overall Leopold is losing its popularity.

Also I wonder if they ninja switch OEM, I used to hear reports that it's made from Korea and Taiwan.  However some member have report that it's made in China recently.  Still need to confirm that though  :P

Offline qi3ber

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 01:21:19 »
Well, none of the storm boards appeal to me, so I'll throw my hat in with the Leopold. I can't guarantee that my newb opinion will be of much help to this thread, but at a minimum I'll be able to tell you where it claims to have been manufactured.
Leopold FC500 Browns