geekhack Community > Reviews

Matias QuietPro (full-size) review and comparison to Topre 45g

<< < (2/2)

quickcrx702:
Cherry browns feel quite different than the 45g Topre, but are about as enjoyable to type on.  They feel more mechanical, but almost like the switches were made out of wood or something.  They have a tactile bump, but it's hardly noticeable if you type fast.  The 55g in my opinion feels more tactile than buckling spring boards, but in a different way.  Buckling springs almost feel like a toy to me, in both a good and a bad way.  The 55g's tactile bump almost feels like you are popping bubble wrap with your fingers every time you press a key, but then feels smooth as you bottom out.

Tempest790:
Thanks for the review.

macguy80:

--- Quote from: quickcrx702 on Thu, 11 April 2013, 01:02:36 ---Cherry browns feel quite different than the 45g Topre, but are about as enjoyable to type on.  They feel more mechanical, but almost like the switches were made out of wood or something.  They have a tactile bump, but it's hardly noticeable if you type fast.  The 55g in my opinion feels more tactile than buckling spring boards, but in a different way.  Buckling springs almost feel like a toy to me, in both a good and a bad way.  The 55g's tactile bump almost feels like you are popping bubble wrap with your fingers every time you press a key, but then feels smooth as you bottom out.

--- End quote ---

Oh my. I will have to try Cherry browns and a 55g Topre as well. I can tell from your description that the 55g Topre is more for me than the 45g. Is the sound any different? I never know how trustworthy sound samples on Youtube are. I can't really tell if any difference I might perceive is an actual difference, or merely differences in microphone quality and/or placement. I've yet to find any sound comparisons of the two in the same video.

I highly doubt that anything will replace the QP as my daily driver. The tactility is just right (for me, anyway). But "research" never hurts, right? ;)

lazerpointer:
Nice review, interesting to see someone compare such different keyboards.

--- Quote from: macguy80 on Fri, 12 April 2013, 18:45:50 ---
--- Quote from: quickcrx702 on Thu, 11 April 2013, 01:02:36 ---Cherry browns feel quite different than the 45g Topre, but are about as enjoyable to type on.  They feel more mechanical, but almost like the switches were made out of wood or something.  They have a tactile bump, but it's hardly noticeable if you type fast.  The 55g in my opinion feels more tactile than buckling spring boards, but in a different way.  Buckling springs almost feel like a toy to me, in both a good and a bad way.  The 55g's tactile bump almost feels like you are popping bubble wrap with your fingers every time you press a key, but then feels smooth as you bottom out.

--- End quote ---

Oh my. I will have to try Cherry browns and a 55g Topre as well. I can tell from your description that the 55g Topre is more for me than the 45g. Is the sound any different? I never know how trustworthy sound samples on Youtube are. I can't really tell if any difference I might perceive is an actual difference, or merely differences in microphone quality and/or placement. I've yet to find any sound comparisons of the two in the same video.

I highly doubt that anything will replace the QP as my daily driver. The tactility is just right (for me, anyway). But "research" never hurts, right? ;)

--- End quote ---

First of all, good call with the 55g purchase - don't settle your impressions on it until a month has passed though. Seriously, the thing will "break in" and won't be so stiff / frictiony.

Also Cherry brown switches are in my opinion the best of the Cherry variety because they're among the only switches that I am not able to feel the tactile bump without either actuating the key twice or not actuating it at all... and they're just comfy to type on if you have something soft to bottom out on like o-rings or landing pads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version