Author Topic: Amazon US Stock Issue  (Read 78295 times)

Offline dante

Amazon US Stock Issue
« on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 16:44:38 »
We thought it would make sense to discuss this Amazon US stock issue in a new thread, so one's been created.
- Will, KeyboardCo

Original post:

You should spend more time keeping your Amazon store stocked.  If you have no serious interest in selling Filco in the US then relinquish the rights so that Mechanical Keyboards.com can sell them instead.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 06:15:46 by wsjudd »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Re: Amazon US Stock Issue
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 01:28:42 »
What do you guys think of the idea?

You should spend more time keeping your Amazon store stocked.  If you have no serious interest in selling Filco in the US then relinquish the rights so that Mechanical Keyboards.com can sell them instead.

^ Yes ^

I agree 100%.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 05:15:12 by CommonCurt »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Bruce

• http://www.keyboardco.com
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:01:30 »
Hi Guys
I'm sorry we can't get as much stock into Amazon USA as we would really like to. It's not a matter of time, or of channels, it is about how many keyboards are available. In general - Filco stocks are in demand all over and we work with Diatec to get as much into USA as we can, along with supplying other areas. There are a variety of channels Diatec might use for this but whichever way, it won't change the overall amount of keyboards that are available.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 08:54:49 »
Hi Guys
I'm sorry we can't get as much stock into Amazon USA as we would really like to. It's not a matter of time, or of channels, it is about how many keyboards are available. In general - Filco stocks are in demand all over and we work with Diatec to get as much into USA as we can, along with supplying other areas. There are a variety of channels Diatec might use for this but whichever way, it won't change the overall amount of keyboards that are available.

NCIX Canada has no problems with keeping the Majestouch-2 in stock.  The only reason NCIX US doesn't stock it is due to the licensing agreement you have with Diatec.  If you're about to ask why not order from NCIX Canada: it's due to shipping rates.

If you are not providing Amazon with inventory then you are not losing money if someone else sells it, are you?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:33:05 »
Hi Dante

No, I would not lose money, but I would lose keyboards, so then I definitely wouldn't be sending any.........

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 21:15:05 »
Wow I didn't realize ncix had so much stock. Sad I haven't seen filcos stocked at amazon like that in forever.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 22:37:27 »
Wow I didn't realize ncix had so much stock. Sad I haven't seen filcos stocked at amazon like that in forever.

I know.  I check Amazon about every day to see if keyboardco has restocked any white TKLs.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline dante

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:15:02 »
Hi Guys

NCIX Canada has no problems with keeping the Majestouch-2 in stock.  The only reason NCIX US doesn't stock it is due to the licensing agreement you have with Diatec.  If you're about to ask why not order from NCIX Canada: it's due to shipping rates.

If you are not providing Amazon with inventory then you are not losing money if someone else sells it, are you?

So Bruce why is NCIX able to have such a nice stock of Filcos? Much less buyers in Canada? I know you don't know their business but it does seem like you guys are not really focused on the states.

I have not seen Filco stock on amazon like you see on NCIX in years.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:39:31 »
We don't have any special 'rights' to sell in USA any more than anyone else, what we do have is a partnership with Diatec in which we handle the store on Amazon and all Pre and After Sales. Diatec make the keyboards, do the production schedules and have the final say on what ships where. This channel works extremely well and puts Filco on the shelf at some 10-20% less than when using a local disty, which is an avenue that has been explored. Goods ship from the factory directly to Amazon warehouses so the logistics are excellent.

Diatec are not, and never have been, targetting the mass market in the way some others do. There is not the same scale, so it is much more difficult for them to ramp up production to meet demand. The Cherry MX supply situation won't be helping either.
I know that the people at Diatec are very flattered and honoured by the popularity of Filco worldwide. They are working flat out to meet demand (What business wouldn't?) and are extremely grateful for peoples patience. But I also know they will never cut corners or compromise on quality.

When you talk of other distributors and of our European stocks - you miss the point that very little of the stock in Europe is ANSI - so you wouldn't want it - and that stocks in Canada are ANSI but that sales turnover won't be as fast as USA so those stocks will be available for longer.  But as lightsout points out, NCIX are best to answer that.
So although right now we have Filco Keyboards available in UK, German, French, Italian, Swedish/Finnish and COMING SOON!!! - Spanish, these are all ISO and all move around in smaller amounts and sit 'in stock' for longer. We keep ANSI here too but a fraction of the numbers that are sent to USA. If we do have stock here that you want - please feel free to order, carriage to the USA is not bad at all.
Now you could say those other layouts might have been made as USA and sent to Amazon but I'm sure no-one wants Filco to reduce the variety they offer to the smaller markets around the globe. And again, the numbers are such that it wouldn't make a noticable difference.

So the underlying facts remain - It doesn't matter what route to market you want to take, if you are short on product, you are short on product.
I can 100% guarantee that everyone involved at The Keyboard Company and Diatec is absolutely committed to satisfying all customer demand for Filco Keyboards and that there is not and never will be any form of favouritism.
If I am honest I do have to admit that this is likely to be on-going. Demand is increasing and I don't see Cherry doing a lot to help either.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 08:31:13 »
Do you guys think filco will ever partner with kailh for switches instead of cherry?

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:04:42 »
Do you guys think filco will ever partner with kailh for switches instead of cherry?

people would riot lol

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:09:32 »

people would riot lol

"people" that think cherry MX is of any particularly estimable quality in the first place
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:26:31 »
Thanks for the feedback Bruce. Appreciate the insight.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 09:48:06 »
I've not had a good play with any Kailh switches and I've heard both good and bad reports. Probably more negative.
I was quite surprised to learn there were no patents covering MX switches.
If you were a manufacturer you'd be mad not to look into it but I don't think they would use them if there was even a sniff of quality drop.

Offline dante

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:06:45 »
So the underlying facts remain - It doesn't matter what route to market you want to take, if you are short on product, you are short on product.

This talk about "limited product" doesn't add up when week after week NCIX.CA always has plenty in stock.

Also, while I know you have no control over the exchange rates a Filco 104 Ninja runs around $207USD depending on the day.  That's Topre territory!

At a bare minimum you guys could put up a page like MK.com displaying the dates of incoming product and what you expect.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:15:03 »
FYI, I was able to place an order with NCIX.CA and have it shipped to my US address, from the NCIX US warehouse, and didn't have to pay int'l shipping rates. I ordered a couple Filco Majestouch-2 (104) with MX Blues from them, and got them quickly, with no problems whatsoever. One was with the black case, and the other metallic blue. They were even on sale at the time (early March 2014), so I paid $145 CAD shipped, (about $135 USD) each.

I would have ordered these two Filcos from TheKeyboardCo via Amazon, if they had been available. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Bruce

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 10:52:15 »
Good point about communicating ETAs. I'll see if we can do that, I know that we used to at the outset with Amazon.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 18:37:57 »

This talk about "limited product" doesn't add up when week after week NCIX.CA always has plenty in stock.

That, and, it doesn't add up why KeyboardCo is so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ about the situation. They are making a lot of excuses for themselves and Diatec. Maybe Diatec is doing a bad job of allocating limited stock, but it sure doesn't seem like KeyboardCo is going to put any pressure on them. Seems odd -- USA is the biggest economy in the world, why is it so hard to get a few units here? And shouldn't they be more upset that Diatec isn't sending any product to Amazon? That's costing them money. At the end of the day, I think KeyboardCo is doing fine without Amazon US, and maybe don't feel like they are in a position to negotiate with Diatec, and so they aren't going to fight for it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 18:40:06 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline sacratoy

• Twitch
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 22:25:55 »
A Filco MJ2 ninja 104 w/ brown switches from NCIX Canada is only $167 after shipping to the US (thank goodness for the strong USD), but after looking, their stock is ridiculously good. Not sure why a US supplier would have so much trouble.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 22:28:24 by sacratoy »
Poker II

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 13:00:45 »
A Filco MJ2 ninja 104 w/ brown switches from NCIX Canada is only $167 after shipping to the US (thank goodness for the strong USD), but after looking, their stock is ridiculously good. Not sure why a US supplier would have so much trouble.

keyboardco isn't a US supplier per say
they just have product in amazon warehouses and use amazon as a storefront to handle logistics in the USA
their main market is UK/EU

Offline NumberTwoinQQ

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 20:09:25 »
FYI, I was able to place an order with NCIX.CA and have it shipped to my US address, from the NCIX US warehouse, and didn't have to pay int'l shipping rates. I ordered a couple Filco Majestouch-2 (104) with MX Blues from them, and got them quickly, with no problems whatsoever. One was with the black case, and the other metallic blue. They were even on sale at the time (early March 2014), so I paid $145 CAD shipped, (about $135 USD) each.

I would have ordered these two Filcos from TheKeyboardCo via Amazon, if they had been available. :(
may I ask how you did that? I want to order: http://www.ncix.com/detail/filco-majestouch-2-ninja-cherry-3d-70730.htm
but the international shipping costs too much...