Author Topic: O rings on MX Blues  (Read 2301 times)

Offline halfkiller

O rings on MX Blues
« on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 18:51:38 »
So, I just got my Ducky Shine 2 with MX blues in and thought putting o-rings on it would make it feel great, but it feels like I have to bottom out the keys harder than before(on my old Blackwidow Ultimate) . Does anyone else use o-rings on mx blue? If so did you like them at first ?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: O rings on MX Blues
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 19:19:11 »
I like O-rings on all other Cherry switches, but prefer landing pads on the blue ones.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 00:17:01 »
I tried them, but it didn't make as much difference as I'd hoped.

The high-pitched click of the blue switches is, to a lot of people, more annoying than the bottoming out sound.  And you can probably train yourself not to bottom out anyway.

Actually I probably still have a couple of O-rings on certain keys :))  But that keyboard is on my gaming PC, and the opportunities to game these days are few and far between.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 02:39:46 »
... it feels like I have to bottom out the keys harder than before...

Could you please explain what you mean by this? You don't have to bottom out the keys at all in order to get them to actuate.

A difference in feel can be the result of different keycaps. Different keycaps have different heights underneath, between the top of the switch case and the cross-braces of the cap when bottomed out. Some keycaps don't even have cross-braces, so you have to use much thicker orings or multiple orings. Cherry profile caps have a very small gap. DCS have no cross-braces.

This is one of the reasons I don't bother with orings any more. I trampoline mod all my switches.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline osi

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 08:58:21 »
Used o-rings on my blue keypad at first but I removed them later. It's a personal preference for sho

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 09:37:50 »
I only place O-ring on mx blue. It makes the clicky sound more pleasant by eliminating the bottom out sound.

But putting O-ring on other types of switches just makes the feel more mushy.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:53:07 »
... it feels like I have to bottom out the keys harder than before...

Could you please explain what you mean by this? You don't have to bottom out the keys at all in order to get them to actuate.

A difference in feel can be the result of different keycaps. Different keycaps have different heights underneath, between the top of the switch case and the cross-braces of the cap when bottomed out. Some keycaps don't even have cross-braces, so you have to use much thicker orings or multiple orings. Cherry profile caps have a very small gap. DCS have no cross-braces.

This is one of the reasons I don't bother with orings any more. I trampoline mod all my switches.

I am a heavy typer and it feels weird to typer on blues with o-rings installed. I will most likely go back to running them without o-rings. Even though it took quite a while to get the orings on all the keys heh. Hm.... I may try it out a bit more before removing them.

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:53:22 »
I like O-rings on all other Cherry switches, but prefer landing pads on the blue ones.

Landing pads?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:55:31 »
Landing pads?

Some people say that it feels like mush, but after the click, the rest is just waste, anyway.

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads&pid=sl120_cs
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:57:39 »
Landing pads?

Some people say that it feels like mush, but after the click, the rest is just waste, anyway.

I'm one of those who think landing pads make it feel like mush..I guess it's personal preference but they're not for me. Don't know till you try it!

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 11:52:51 »
Landing pads?

I may have to try that out.  Do they interfere with leds?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 12:30:44 »
I may have to try that out.  Do they interfere with leds?

Quite possibly. I have never used a lighted keyboard.

Offline halfkiller

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 12:45:02 »
MMkay, well they aren't to pricey. I might as well pick some uo.