Author Topic: Australia Keyboard Modding Service [Based in Sydney]  (Read 12705 times)

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
Australia Keyboard Modding Service [Based in Sydney]
« on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 04:04:49 »
Available Services:
I am able to do most things except stickering. That takes far too much time! As of the 20/04/15, I won't have terribly much time to dedicate to this hobby and I will be scaling this service down. This means I will no longer be sourcing parts on your behalf, if you wish to do any modifications or builds, you must buy all the parts yourself. If it's for a repair, I can (at my discretion) procure parts.

Requests for quotes are to be made through this form or feel free to email me:
http://goo.gl/forms/i6RF2llNaK

You can expect a response within 48 hours or as my schedule permits.

I am now charging on a case by case basis. Don't fret, small repairs will remain at about 10 AUD (usually less).

Pick up and drop off remains available. I live in the Lower North Shore area.
For those living out of Sydney, shipping is the only option. I will try ship return via Express Post so you can get things ASAP and I will keep shipping costs reasonable.

If you wish for items to be delivered straight to my home, that is an option which you can discuss with me through a PM.

Feedback

So far, I've served one person a Reddit user name /u/ArvinM who does have an account here but I can't remember its name!

My Heatware URL is this: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=97840. You may look here for feedback for people I have served and it's no longer empty!

Contact Details
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 03:05:14 by Jersern »

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
Re: Australia Keyboard Modding Service [Based in Sydney]
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 15:25:34 »
Finally! There's one!

I will definitely come here when I need a keyboard modding service!  :thumb:

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 17:37:50 »
At last!  Good one!  I hope it works out.

Suggestion: setup a Heatware account and cross-reference it to your GH account in profile preferences.  Encourage people to give you feedback.  Pretty soon you should rack up a history of positive feedbacks to use as a reference.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jersern

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 23:42:20 »
Good point. I'll go set up one when I'm at home. Another account... Another password to lose... :p none the less I'll go set one up so people can leave some feed back!

Offline Jersern

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:17:40 »
Finally! There's one!

I will definitely come here when I need a keyboard modding service!  :thumb:

Anytime! :D

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:21:39 »
Awesome! I've got two KBT Pure boards with minor issues that I'm pretty sure are caused by loose solder joints, I'd love to send them to you for repair. Don't think plateless boards agree with me, have a feeling I'm a little bit too rough when changing caps :/
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:34:50 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Jersern

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:35:22 »
Go gentle on the PCB mount boards!  :eek: They fail a lot easier especially if you're super heavy handed when removing caps.  :( Do you happen to be in Sydney? Please contact me on my new secondary email dedicated to this so my primary doesn't get spammed!  :p jersernau@gmail.com

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 00:45:09 »
Just sent you an email, cheers mate!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline Buckling

• Poker 2 Clears / Leopold 21Key Blues
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 04:02:24 »
Interesting I might check this out at some point.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 04:23:31 »
Interesting I might check this out at some point.

Anytime.  :)

Also holding off on offering lubing. I'm trying to find cheaper sources of it. As for stickers I don't think I will he offering it soon simply because of how much more time it takes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 November 2014, 04:28:58 by Jersern »

Offline Jersern

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 18:52:01 »
I now have my first piece of feedback on my Heatware!  :) It's from the Reddit user who I fixed his keyboard for a few days ago. I am now slowly building up my portfolio. Yay!  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:34:40 »
I now have my first piece of feedback on my Heatware!  :) It's from the Reddit user who I fixed his keyboard for a few days ago. I am now slowly building up my portfolio. Yay!  :D

Congratulations :)

If you go into Profile - Forum Profile and scroll down, there is a field where you can enter your Heatware user ID so that you get a Heatware icon under your avatar on GH.  Like mine (little red flame icon, except very few people have left me feedback).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jersern

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:39:01 »
Ahhh so that's how I get that! Thanks!  :D

Offline Jersern

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 22:26:50 »
The Ergodox is live on Massdrop! I can assemble these for Australian and NZ residents only!  :)

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 06:51:28 »
I'm interest in an Ergodox, do you have any experiences? What is your labour cost?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Jersern

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 14:34:37 »
While personally I have never built a dox, I have built a phantom and the dox is similar in construction. I am also (most likely) going to purchase a dox myself.

Costs will be something like this (not including postage)
Basic assembly (just pcb assembly, no switches) - 20 AUD
Full assembly (everything in a standard massdrop kit) - 35 AUD
Custom switches (no lubing at this point) - 10 AUD plus parts cost.

Orders for custom switches will take longer to be processed as I will be ordering from sprit I'm one go.

Estimated pricing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nQno8zZFI3hsbeBDCKwD8iVH8QhwPVrUyHLNO8ciFNQ/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 17:22:02 by Jersern »

Offline mr626

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 18:55:56 »
I don't have a need for your services at the moment, but it is great to know there's someone local that I can call on if needed.

Oh, and I really admire that your dad got you involved in such things from an early age.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 23:48:57 »
Being introduced to soldering and building my own electronics from a young age is absolutely awesome.  :thumb:

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 03:48:29 »
Hi Jersen, did you get the form I submitted yesterday? Can you give me an estimate.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Jersern

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 03:53:42 »
Hi there,

I most certainly received the response. I haven't had time to reply over the weekend and I am still at work at this late hour with my father finishing up some testing of some panels destined for a data centre. It has run seriously over time and my entire weekend was given to that.

Really sorry about that! I will reply in a bit when I get home. Probably about 10 to 20 mins.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 04:49:00 »
Just a quick heads up. I won't be able to receive new requests for jobs until the 5th of December. I will be away camping with no access to power or internet!  :eek: None the less, feel free to fill out a form and I will get back to you when I return on Friday.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 05:15:49 »
Have a great break!

Offline Jersern

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 13:37:08 »
Thank you! :)

Offline Jersern

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 19:00:36 »
I am back! :D Alive too! :D Feel free to contact me through the form for quotes. I am back to replying within the day or atleast ASAP.  :thumb:

Offline Jersern

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 00:11:17 »
Bump!  :)

Offline Jersern

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 22:30:28 »
Just a heads up for anyone who wishes get me to fix or build something, I'm heading on a nice holiday from the 26th till the 5th so I won't be replying (well I might, depends on Internet availability).

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a happy (and safe) holidays! :)

I will be back when I'm back :P and my HHKB tour will get up and running as soon as I get back!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 22:56:26 »
Have a great break mate :)

Offline Jersern

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 21 December 2014, 01:03:16 »
Thank you!  :D Such a shame I don't have as much time as I did a few years back when I took a 5 month holiday in rural China................................  :(

Offline Jersern

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 04:19:00 »
I'm still alive lol :)

I'm still happy to take repairs and modding work etc but if I don't reply immediately, I'm really sorry! School is really getting to me nowadays. :(

Offline Jersern

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 02:56:53 »
Small bump and small changes to the service.

This year is my first senior year in high school and damn is my school ramping up the pressure. Unfortunately this leaves me with much less time to do things related to this hobby. I will only be doing small repair services and, possibly some modifications provided I have the time (which looking at the amount of all nighters... not much :(). Small repairs encompass a few bad LEDs, diodes, switches etc. Feel free to use the form or just email me at jersernau@gmail.com for any enquiries and I will see if I will have the time to complete it.

Unfortunately I will most probably be discontinuing full custom keyboard assemblies simply because they take up a decent bit of time (quite a bit especially when I have to hunt down parts). If you are able to procure all the parts on your own and all that's required is a bit of soldering, I could possibly do it, depends on what you want really.

Have a great day everyone!

Regards,
Jason

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 03:13:02 »
Life/study first!

Still, if someone needs a switch changed in an emergency or something simple and is willing to pay you to do it, it is an option in Australia, something we were previously lacking.

Thank you for continuing to offer a small service, and good luck with the study :)

Offline Jersern

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 06:04:48 »
Life/study first!

Correction! Study and internet first! :p

Thanks! If there's ever some minor problem, happy to help out. Otherwise, just ask, I might be free.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 20:03:56 »

This year is my first senior year in high school and damn is my school ramping up the pressure.

Nice to see your priorities are all in check :)

Good luck with the HSC!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 04:43:42 »
Going to be getting in contact with you once I've got my hands on some MX Clears or Greys, need a switch and plate swap on a Filco I've got sitting here. Hoping to have the switches in the next couple of weeks! Tried doing it myself but I'm too bash-brained, managed to leave a couple of switch pins in the PCB when I removed my first switch. After that I figured I'd be better off having a pro look at it :P

Other than the switches everything is good to go, already got a plate and some plate mount Cherry stabs. Will also give the board a thorough clean with some PCB cleaner.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 01:31:21 »
Feel free to! (Though I do have to prioritise IRL commitments as the drama coach).

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 01:58:25 »
Feel free to! (Though I do have to prioritise IRL commitments as the drama coach).

Totally cool man, will do!

Offline shadowness

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 04:01:09 »
Hi there. are you still providing services? I think I need my poker3 keyboard to be fix. I have a broken switch that I tried to fix, but only ended up destroying that particular switch.  :'(

Offline Jersern

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 05:36:06 »
I can easily replace a switch for you. Where abouts are you located? It will be much easier if you're local (Sydney area)

Offline shadowness

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 07:47:27 »
hey just want to tell you guys Jersern did the fastest service ever. very responsive of my Q&A and totally would use his service again 11/10.

fixed my busted keyswitch for my Pok3r in no time!

edit: sorry for the late testimonial Jersern! :P this was done 2 weeks ago.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 15:36:13 »
Glad to have been of assistance  :D

Offline louiscarter88

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 16:27:53 »
Hey mate,

Recently ordered the infinity ergodox from massdrop but I'm getting cold feet about the soldering. Would you be willing to solder the PCBs for me, I'll be providing all the parts (switches/LEDs)