Author Topic: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 557514 times)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: [GB] PURPLE/CLEAR ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)
« Reply #1400 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 00:44:19 »
Awesome to see R2 happening so soon.

I really... REALLY wish there was an MX Brown equivalent of zealios.  These gritty cherry browns are mehh.

And I wish the milky bottom was also PCB mount.
Wait... Aren't zealios basically Browns with a larger tactile bump? (more or less. I realize the spring weight is different...)

Zealios are similar to ergo-clears which are basically clears with brown springs in them.

Lengradde: If you really want you could swap the stems out of browns and put them into the Zealios.

Most of the grittiness of browns comes from the molding of the stem and the lack of lube.  Zeal and Gateron are providing a solution for the clear/ergo-clear users (and linear in R1).  I wouldn't mind some brown love though. :)

Well there are several options that you could do...

1. Harvest some old browns that are much smoother than newer ones.

2. Buy Linear Zealios and put weaker springs in them or even the mx brown's springs.

3. Buy current browns and lube them, you could also lube the other options for even added smoothness.

I have browns from a NIB g80-11801 and they feel quite good. I didn't anything to them other than add a clear Gateron switch top.

Why doesn't he just buy Gateron Clears? Aren't they supposed to be similar to Browns?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1401 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 00:57:32 »
More
Awesome to see R2 happening so soon.

I really... REALLY wish there was an MX Brown equivalent of zealios.  These gritty cherry browns are mehh.

And I wish the milky bottom was also PCB mount.
Wait... Aren't zealios basically Browns with a larger tactile bump? (more or less. I realize the spring weight is different...)

Zealios are similar to ergo-clears which are basically clears with brown springs in them.

Lengradde: If you really want you could swap the stems out of browns and put them into the Zealios.

Most of the grittiness of browns comes from the molding of the stem and the lack of lube.  Zeal and Gateron are providing a solution for the clear/ergo-clear users (and linear in R1).  I wouldn't mind some brown love though. :)

Well there are several options that you could do...

1. Harvest some old browns that are much smoother than newer ones.

2. Buy Linear Zealios and put weaker springs in them or even the mx brown's springs.

3. Buy current browns and lube them, you could also lube the other options for even added smoothness.

I have browns from a NIB g80-11801 and they feel quite good. I didn't anything to them other than add a clear Gateron switch top.

Why doesn't he just buy Gateron Clears? Aren't they supposed to be similar to Browns?

Gateron Clears are linear and lighter, there are Gateron Browns if he wanted to as well but linear zealio switches are a better version of that imo.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #1402 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 10:22:47 »
Just out of curiosity have you ever tried putting the purple stem in the Gateron Red switches? Also do you sell just the stems?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #1403 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:30:26 »
Just out of curiosity have you ever tried putting the purple stem in the Gateron Red switches? Also do you sell just the stems?

The purple stem would work in any Gateron housing. As for the purple stems, they are not sold separately.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1404 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:34:03 »

The purple stem would work in any Gateron housing. As for the purple stems, they are not sold separately.
I actually have some spare stems from those switches we talked about that I messed up

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #1405 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 18:45:48 »

I actually have some spare stems from those switches we talked about that I messed up

Would you be willing to send them along my way for a small fee :) I just purchased 120 red gateron switches I am to experiment with.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1406 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:37:33 »

Would you be willing to send them along my way for a small fee :) I just purchased 120 red gateron switches I am to experiment with.
Shoot me a pm!

Offline ileben

« Reply #1407 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 04:50:24 »
Finished putting Zealios onto my Filco. The alpha rows each have different weights for comparison (bottom 62g, middle 65g, top 67g). Quick review below:
135207-0

The good thing is that the tactility and smoothness is everything I wished for. The 67g gives me an experience that is the closest to 55g topre I've had on a non-topre switch. The large bump fills almost entire travel distance which gives a similar experience to a topre dome compressing.

There are two problems, though, which annoy me to the point that I would actually prefer to use any other of my boards with Cherries or Topre instead. First issue is the wobbliness, which others have already mentioned. The switch stem wobbles enough to give the entire build a very cheap feel, like I'm typing on something that's going to fall apart any moment. Second issue is the bottom out, which feels every so slightly spongy and muted. I like to bottom out when I type and for me personally, the sharp clack of MX's is a part of the whole tactile experience, just like the actuation bump is and I want my bottom out to feel sturdy and solid.

I've tried several different caps on the board - SA, thick Imsto (cherry-profile) PBT, GMK thick ABS, thick OEM PBT. Due to the two issues above combined, all of these caps lose some of their quality feel when put on the Zealios board, compared to another same Filco board with Cherry switches in it. I would try a cap on Zealios for a bit in think "that's kind of alright", then put the same cap on a Cherry switch and be like "oh wow this cap is really nice". Yes, the tactile feedback and smoothness is sublime and that is irreplaceable and cannot be reproduced on any cherry switch, but the wobbliness and spongy/muted sound kind of overshadows the whole experience.

Props to Zeal for innovating and developing something new and unique, but as of right now, for me personally, the negatives outweigh the positives. I hope this development will not stop here, and I'm looking forward to potential Version 2 in the future.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #1408 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:02:03 »
Finished putting Zealios onto my Filco. The alpha rows each have different weights for comparison (bottom 62g, middle 65g, top 67g). Quick review below:
(Attachment Link)

The good thing is that the tactility and smoothness is everything I wished for. The 67g gives me an experience that is the closest to 55g topre I've had on a non-topre switch. The large bump fills almost entire travel distance which gives a similar experience to a topre dome compressing.

There are two problems, though, which annoy me to the point that I would actually prefer to use any other of my boards with Cherries or Topre instead. First issue is the wobbliness, which others have already mentioned. The switch stem wobbles enough to give the entire build a very cheap feel, like I'm typing on something that's going to fall apart any moment. Second issue is the bottom out, which feels every so slightly spongy and muted. I like to bottom out when I type and for me personally, the sharp clack of MX's is a part of the whole tactile experience, just like the actuation bump is and I want my bottom out to feel sturdy and solid.

I've tried several different caps on the board - SA, thick Imsto (cherry-profile) PBT, GMK thick ABS, thick OEM PBT. Due to the two issues above combined, all of these caps lose some of their quality feel when put on the Zealios board, compared to another same Filco board with Cherry switches in it. I would try a cap on Zealios for a bit in think "that's kind of alright", then put the same cap on a Cherry switch and be like "oh wow this cap is really nice". Yes, the tactile feedback and smoothness is sublime and that is irreplaceable and cannot be reproduced on any cherry switch, but the wobbliness and spongy/muted sound kind of overshadows the whole experience.

Props to Zeal for innovating and developing something new and unique, but as of right now, for me personally, the negatives outweigh the positives. I hope this development will not stop here, and I'm looking forward to potential Version 2 in the future.

I don't feel any wobbliness on the switches
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #1409 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 12:20:16 »
(Attachment Link)

I don't feel any wobbliness on the switches

I guess it's quite subjective. I have no issue with wobbliness or how the switches feel when bottoming out.