Author Topic: Cooler Master Storm Trigger Review  (Read 11935 times)

Offline PrisonSex

Cooler Master Storm Trigger Review
« on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 21:48:28 »
Hey guys this is my first ever mech keyboard and I wanted to offer my impressions and later a review on it. I'll post a full review in two weeks so I can say with 100% how I feel about this boards performance.

The keyboard I bought is a Cooler Master Storm Trigger.

FEATURES:
- Gold plated Cherry MX Blue switches
- Full Red LED Backlit
- Full-size layout with 5 programmable Macro keys
- 3 Different lighting modes (Fully lit, Breathing, and partially lit with the WASD/Arrow Keys/Macro keys lit)
- 2 USB Ports on the board to hook up devices (Phone, Headset, Mouse, etc.)
- 6 Key rollover
- Detachable wrist-rest

For more check out the website at http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/Trigger/

My first impression of this keyboard is how much heavier it is compared to my Logitech G110, which is great because I always had problems with my keyboard sliding around. The back of the keyboard has rubber stops on it to further prevent it from sliding, including stops on the feet that put the board on an incline. A definite plus for me because my keyboard must be inclined or it feels very awkward for me to type on it. The entire case has a non-slip rubber coating on it, including the detachable wrist rest. If feel this gives the keyboard a nice texture and it is very comfortable for my wrists to rest on. I can assume that this coating will prevent the case/wrist rest from getting that glossy look to it that most boards get after long use. The wrist rest is a very large plus for me, I love the matted feel to it and it is so far very comfortable.

The back lighting is nice, but really wasn't part of my requirements, it lights the board well and it gives it a nice aesthetic. The USB ports on the back which require a 5.0 volt adapter which sadly is not included in the packaging. Luckily I had one that I wasn't using, but I think it's a little silly that they wouldn't include something so simple with the package. The keyboard is connected with a gold plated braided micro usb cord. I personally didn't want a detachable cord but I'm fine with it although the cord itself feels a little loose in it's connection to the board, but I've seen no issues with it communicating between the board and my PC.

The switches feel great and are definitely a step up from my rubber dome keyboard. I've played a few hours of CS:GO on this and I honestly don't see why people say MX Blues are bad for gaming, my keys react crisply, and even when double tapping keys I never noticed missed strokes.

So far I love this keyboard and for around a $120 price (I paid $99) I feel this was one of the best investments I've made for my computer. If you're interested in a mechanical keyboard for gaming, this one is a very good entry level board from what I've seen so far.

-----------------------------------

2 Week Update:

I've had this keyboard for a little over two weeks now and I have to say this is probably the best investment I've ever made in my computer peripherals. Everything on this keyboard feels so much crisper and the texture on the keys, the wrist rest, and the board itself give it such a nice feel to type with.

Pros:
- Great back lighting with various modes (not as much as a Ducky Shine but still more than most backlit keyboards).
- The textured rubber that goes over the keyboard and the wrist rest give a very comfortable experience without having to invest in a separate wrist rest.
- Detachable micro USB cord makes it very easy to move this keyboard or rearrange the wire.
- USB ports on the back of the keyboard give easy access to other peripherals.
- All of the keys feel very crisp in their actuation
- Rubber pads at the bottom of the board itself and the feet make the board very hard to accidentally move around on your desk.

Cons:
- In order to make full use of the USB ports and all of the lighting modes, you have to have a 5 Volt adapter that is sadly not included with the keyboard.
- The stabilizers don't feel very smooth when pressing. It feels like they add much more resistance to the key.
- I've noticed that if you disconnect the 5 Volt adapter from the keyboard while in use, the keyboard itself disconnects and reconnects tot he computer. This may be an issue with communicating with Windows, but it's very annoying when it has happened to me.
- I would have preferred other back lighting colors to be available, but having back lighting wasn't mandatory for me so this is me really nit picking.

Overall Rating: ★★★★★★★★★☆ 9/10

I would say this keyboard is amazing for the price you pay, compared to most other mechanical gaming keyboards this has a really sturdy build with a lot of the extras that most expect from non-mechanical gaming keyboards. There are a few issues with the keyboard but most of them are me really looking for things to complain about. The stabilizers while annoying doesn't ruin the function of the board.

If you're a gamer, I see no reason to getting any other board other than say a Logitech G15 if you desperately need the extra macro keys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 October 2013, 20:45:29 by PrisonSex »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Cooler Master Storm Trigger Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 21:56:48 »
Thanks for that!

Some people have wondered whether the rubber coating will rub off and/or look patchy after a while.  No reports of it so far.  QFR has the same coating.

Yes, and shame about the 5V adaptor.

As long as you are careful connecting and disconnecting the cable, it helps make the keyboard more portable.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:01:24 »
What's the 5V adaptor for? For the backlit?

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:14:36 »
Without the 5v adapter, you're limited to 3 levels of brightness, with the adapter, you have 2 additional levels of brightness. But honestly, the 3rd level of brightness w/o the adapter is plenty bright enough as it is. Also, with the 5v adapter plugged in, you can use high power devices like, an external 2.5" HDD and such. W/o the 5v adapter, the USB ports may not have sufficient juice for high powered or multiple devices.....something like that. I have the Trigger MX Green and I love the heavy switch.....not using it now though.

BTW, great first mini review or first impression, looking forward to your full review.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:18:51 »
I had a Trigger with Browns, and it was a comfy solid keyboard.  The wrist rest is very well-designed in the sense that it's plastic, but curved so nicely that I found it essential.  Every time I put it away to get a minimalistic look, it had to go back out within a day or two.  I really think it would be a great keyboard for everyone had CM minimized the "gamer" look by trimming the bezel.  I also never got used to the left-side macro buttons, so they just were mostly not utilized.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:48:58 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline PrisonSex

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:33:55 »
I had a Trigger with Browns, and it was a comfy solid keyboard.  The wrist rest is very well-designed in the sense that it's plastic, but curved so nicely that I found it essential.  Every time I put it away to get a minimalistic look, it had to go back out within a day or two.  I really think it would be a great keyboard for everyone had CM the "gamer" look by trimming the bezel.  I also never got used to the left-side macro buttons, so they just were mostly not utilized.

Yeah I probably won't use the macro keys unless for MMO's/RTS's (which I rarely play) in most other games the macros really don't have much of a purpose other than pressing button combos.

The 5V adapter gives you additional brightness levels and also provides juice to your USB ports, I tested the USB ports without the adapter and found that it could barely charge my cell phone, so it's pretty much mandatory to have the adapter unless you only intend to use the USB ports for thumb drives and other devices that require very little power.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 22:50:30 »
Even when I did play and liked macro options, I prefer more buttons on my mouse or ctrl / shift + something keybinds, because they are easy to reach.  The macro keys on the trigger are rather far on the left, and seemed a bit inconvenient for quick pinky-presses.

Offline ZeodoHokill

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 11:44:36 »
Thanks for your review, I also love Blue switch very much and with no issue gaming with it. And Welcome to the world of mechanical keyboard, this is the point of no return ;D

Offline PrisonSex

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 20:46:11 »
Updated with rating and pros/cons and a two week analysis.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 20:59:52 »
What makes gold plating on the switch better than normal switches?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 21:16:12 »
Nothing of consequence--just better corrosion/oxidation resistance, which is not really a significant factor for mechanical keyboards.  Mostly a marketing gimmick, and it works on some people.  An acquaintance thought his Steelseries 7g had "special" Black switches that were lighter than normal because of the gold plating advertising... lol.

Offline PrisonSex

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 21:25:09 »
Like he said, it's mostly marketing, gold will however be less likely to corrode.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 00:50:23 »
I finally got around to testing mine - and it definitely has issues.  It was purchased secondhand as defective, so I'm cool with that.

The CM keys act as Win keys - both of them, all the time.  No way to turn the backlighting on.

The keyboard does not work at all unless the CM configuration utility is actually running.  Kinda annoying, as the keyboard would only "work" on Windows at best.

I kinda got it for my 7yo daughter to display her keycap collection on it, but it seems that is about all it is good for. ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 01:05:42 »
I finally got around to testing mine - and it definitely has issues.  It was purchased secondhand as defective, so I'm cool with that.

The CM keys act as Win keys - both of them, all the time.  No way to turn the backlighting on.

The keyboard does not work at all unless the CM configuration utility is actually running.  Kinda annoying, as the keyboard would only "work" on Windows at best.

I kinda got it for my 7yo daughter to display her keycap collection on it, but it seems that is about all it is good for. ;D
Woah how many keyboards do you have?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 02:39:34 »

Woah how many keyboards do you have?

Mechanical or all together?  Mech = about 9, non-mech = about 35.  Total about 44.

Offline PrisonSex

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 02:58:51 »

You can change the CM key in the software, but I haven't found a way to keep the settings without it somehow screwing up. I should note also that the software overall isn't that great, but as a person who rarely uses the windows key it never bothers me. I haven't really used the Macro keys for anything other than single commands so I'm not well versed in how well the software responds to complicated macro commands.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 06:28:11 »

You can change the CM key in the software, but I haven't found a way to keep the settings without it somehow screwing up. I should note also that the software overall isn't that great, but as a person who rarely uses the windows key it never bothers me. I haven't really used the Macro keys for anything other than single commands so I'm not well versed in how well the software responds to complicated macro commands.

Not quite - you can change the left CM key between a Windows key and a "macro" key, but the right CM key is supposed to be hard-wired as a "macro" key.  Mine is not - it is hard-wired as a Windows key.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 10:14:19 »
Lots of people get confused with that for some reason :)

In the software, set your left Storm key to act as Windows key in Profile #1 (for example) and leave the right Storm key as is.  Then program that into the keyboard memory once you save it or close the program (I think close the program--been a while, so details are fuzzy to me).  Once that's done, and the dialog box that says "programming the keyboard" or something like that closes, load profile #1 by pressing one of the Storm keys + 1, I think.  That will load the first profile, and your left Storm key will function as Windows key, while your right Storm key will remain a function key.  That's permanent until you reprogram Profile 1.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 October 2013, 10:18:11 by Photoelectric »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 18:56:05 »
That's the point - the right Storm key seems to be fixed as a Windows key.

But this board is known to be broken anyway, so that's cool.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:25:34 »
Hrm, well, I never had that issue with my Trigger.  I've read about people having trouble, but I followed that method from the first day, and it was always fine.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:27:55 »
I'm guessing it's a faulty controller, although I pulled it apart and visually inspected it - looked clear.  But then I only half know what I'm looking for :))

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 20:48:19 »
Up-to-date firmware and all, I assume?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 22:17:03 »

No idea, guess I should check that at some stage.

Offline Cycane

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 19:55:16 »
Good review, i liked it! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:03:19 »
Good review, i liked it! :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

I've had a quick look around - where do you get firmware from for these?  The official site only has the Windows utility and documentation to download.

http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/keyboards/trigger/ (under Support)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:24:28 »
Oh, not sure, sorry.  I was just guessing.  I never had to do it for my Trigger, but I remember using the software.  Maybe it's part of the latest software? (v1.2)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 23:55:55 »
Oh, not sure, sorry.  I was just guessing.  I never had to do it for my Trigger, but I remember using the software.  Maybe it's part of the latest software? (v1.2)

Ok, thanks, I'll have to check next time I use my daughter's computer (where I installed the software).

Offline Forsythe

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 04:06:07 »
Nice and clean review. How was the rubber coating after using it until now?