Author Topic: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set  (Read 208725 times)

Offline mteinum

Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set [Massdrop poll is up!]
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 10:01:12 »
This kit on an Ergodox would be awesome. Can't stop with just a HHKB... or?

Offline Geekmie

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 10:05:31 »
Voted. Really looking forward to this.

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 11:47:59 »
Seems like lovers of grey modifiers are in the minority. Hopefully both white and grey will still be produced though.

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 11:54:11 »
I personally voted grey, but I'm fine with either/or really.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 12:16:35 »

I'll probably only get the set if grey is available, but only because I'm already on the fence due to the uniform profile - really wish it was Sculpted SA.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:20:01 »

I'll probably only get the set if grey is available, but only because I'm already on the fence due to the uniform profile - really wish it was Sculpted SA.

I'm in the same boat.  I'm iffy on R3 alphas and negative on white mods.

Offline wongie

« Reply #256 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 15:43:35 »
Voted, I am so goddamn excited for this set!

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 18:18:03 »
VOTED!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 22:47:59 »
Thanks to everyone who has voted so far.  Less than 18 hours in and we are only 5 away from 200!

I'll reply to everyone after work when I'm not on mobile.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #260 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 22:49:02 »
Congratulations Pwner!

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 22:10:30 »
MAKE IT HAPPEN! What happens at 200? Lol.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #262 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 01:28:42 »

We then wait for MassDrop to do something about it.

Probably also best to send the MassDrop crew here PMs and drop an email on their support page for this kind of thing as there's added behind the scenes stuff that tends to go on with cap buys.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 05:33:54 »

Both!

Seems like lovers of grey modifiers are in the minority. Hopefully both white and grey will still be produced though.

I really don't have an issue running both.  I can't choose between the 2, that's why I did both.  I just wanted to try and cut some of the kits down so there wasn't so many choices.. which saying it like that doesn't necessarily mean it would be a bad thing.  I just didn't want to have to do 2 of every kit.. mainly with the novelties.  I could do black/ white legends like the stripe kit for them, that way they could be used for either modifier set. I'll have to see how that looks.

What if I incorporated some type of gray option?  Something like with the 'Flextras' kit that was with the Hana drop if I remember right.  Would something like that work or would you guys strictly want full gray mods?

**Quick mockup edit:
More

Also, regarding R3.. This is not 100% set in stone.  I think it makes the most sense in order to have the best chance of the Aurebesh alphas to be done.  All layouts would be supported in the least amount of keys possible.  That being said, those alphas have over 100 votes alone and going on the quote I got [before the number row and punctuation keys were added], if each of those who voted actually bought the set it would only be about $38/ea.  I would assume with the few extra keys added it would be in the $45ish range.  If this set is a success, I will have no problem running a sculpted version sometime in the future.

Probably also best to send the MassDrop crew here PMs and drop an email on their support page for this kind of thing as there's added behind the scenes stuff that tends to go on with cap buys.

I talked with Yanbo a couple weeks ago, that's partly why this poll was set up.  I will be PM'ing him again soon to check in.

I wanted to wait until the 3D render was done, but my brother and I just haven't had enough free time to get it finished.  We are already at nearly 300, so once the render is done I hope that will increase the interest even more.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2016, 05:41:15 by Pwner »

Offline punkpc

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 09:40:18 »
Voted!!!

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 13:42:45 »
Voted. This is lookin' pretty damn good!

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 13:44:58 »

What if I incorporated some type of gray option?  Something like with the 'Flextras' kit that was with the Hana drop if I remember right.  Would something like that work or would you guys strictly want full gray mods?

**Quick mockup edit:
More
Show Image

Also, regarding R3.. This is not 100% set in stone.  I think it makes the most sense in order to have the best chance of the Aurebesh alphas to be done.  All layouts would be supported in the least amount of keys possible.  That being said, those alphas have over 100 votes alone and going on the quote I got [before the number row and punctuation keys were added], if each of those who voted actually bought the set it would only be about $38/ea.  I would assume with the few extra keys added it would be in the $45ish range.  If this set is a success, I will have no problem running a sculpted version sometime in the future.

Personally I would want full grey modifiers, but that is partly due to the fact that this set would go on a white keyboard (also, white keys can be a pain to keep clean). I agree with the fact that all R3 would offer greater compatibility, but it would be interesting to see the amount of people that wouldn't purchase this set because of the uniform profile, versus the amount of people who wouldn't purchase due to the sculpting (if it was sculpted that is) not being compatible with their layout.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 15:44:00 »

Both!

I really don't have an issue running both.  I can't choose between the 2, that's why I did both.  I just wanted to try and cut some of the kits down so there wasn't so many choices.. which saying it like that doesn't necessarily mean it would be a bad thing.  I just didn't want to have to do 2 of every kit.. mainly with the novelties.  I could do black/ white legends like the stripe kit for them, that way they could be used for either modifier set. I'll have to see how that looks.

**Quick mockup edit:
More
Show Image

I talked with Yanbo a couple weeks ago, that's partly why this poll was set up.  I will be PM'ing him again soon to check in.

I wanted to wait until the 3D render was done, but my brother and I just haven't had enough free time to get it finished.  We are already at nearly 300, so once the render is done I hope that will increase the interest even more.

A gray option could work.  It would probably need to be seen but it has potential.

R3 is something I'm still contemplating.  I haven't actually tried it, though am currently typing on sculptured SA (Troubled Minds) and have finally started to get used to that.  A run of both R3 and sculptured certainly has potential to spark buyer interest from both camps.

From what I've heard on timelines, sounds like getting anything onto MD will be rather later in the year so it seems like there still may be time to figure out which way you'd like to take the set.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 19:26:17 »

Huge thanks to csmertx for doing this!
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2016, 23:23:03 by Pwner »

Offline deeoh

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 20:28:58 »
Show Image

Oh yeah, I didn't need convincing, but this looks amazing!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set [Massdrop poll & render are up!]
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 21:14:38 »

:)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 21:22:51 »

**Quick mockup edit:
More
Show Image

Like this version only because you've added a vital "Gray" tint which is needed in this Colour-way.  Remember if you're trying to capture the true "Rebel Folklore" they are a messy, rag tag fleet of rejects, wanting to break free from the Unified Structure of the Empire.

As I'm getting older in life I now see the advantages of the Empire and it's absolute Control over the Cosmos, we need that more than any so-called Freedom Fantasies.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #272 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 23:13:24 »

Sculpted does work really well even for planck.  I haven't finished soldering my ergodox so I can't comment on how the profile would look on a dox kit but I definitely can add a +1 for a fully sculpted 40% board.

Offline Kenda

« Reply #273 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 23:38:41 »
Definitely will get the aurebesh set if this happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #274 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 00:14:41 »
Apparently reading is hard for me today and I completely missed the gray option linked.  That actually looks good, though my wallet's sighing a bit at the admission.

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #275 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 05:40:04 »
You got my votes. Really excited for this, please make it happen.with dat ISO version plz :D

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 05:49:53 »
Apparently reading is hard for me today and I completely missed the gray option linked.  That actually looks good, though my wallet's sighing a bit at the admission.

Your wallet will have plenty of time.  I'll probably just stick with how the set is now.  We'll see what happens.

You got my votes. Really excited for this, please make it happen.with dat ISO version plz :D

ISO will be there.  :thumb:

Offline yoft

« Reply #277 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 12:04:18 »
Love this set! Really hoping the black stripe kit will be available for the drop; otherwise, the orange+white looks like a dreamsicle  ;)

Offline Kangaroo

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 16:21:25 »
Does it count as treason if I put my new Dark Lord Helmet Artisian on that?  ;)

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 16:59:56 »

Your wallet will have plenty of time.  I'll probably just stick with how the set is now.  We'll see what happens.

This is true.  Given what we've heard regarding timelines on Dasher/Dancer, this set will probably be a bit.  Still, with all the stuff I want to pick up, I'll need to make good use of that time to ensure the wallet is sufficiently stocked for all that stuff.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 21:10:58 »
Does it count as treason if I put my new Dark Lord Helmet Artisian on that?  ;)

Not at all, SW theme!!!

Offline hummelm10

« Reply #281 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 19:12:44 »
Is there any possibility of inverting the colors on the alpha? White with orange aurebesh legends? Im looking for a set to go with another set of ergodox mods I have and I absolutely love this set and I will end up getting the aurebesh alphas anyway when this drops but it would look better inverted...

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #282 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 20:06:13 »
Is there any possibility of inverting the colors on the alpha? White with orange aurebesh legends? Im looking for a set to go with another set of ergodox mods I have and I absolutely love this set and I will end up getting the aurebesh alphas anyway when this drops but it would look better inverted...

I've had this asked a few times.  The real issue I have is that I feel it will take to much away from the theme.. that and I personally don't want white alpha's.

Offline hummelm10

« Reply #283 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 22:11:34 »

I've had this asked a few times.  The real issue I have is that I feel it will take to much away from the theme.. that and I personally don't want white alpha's.

Fair enough, what about darker alphas? Like I said, Ill probably end up buying them anyway. Thanks for the reply/explanation though!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #284 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 22:59:08 »

Fair enough, what about darker alphas? Like I said, Ill probably end up buying them anyway. Thanks for the reply/explanation though!

The difficult part about switching up colors is trying to keep this set different from other popular sets that use similar colors.. ie. Carbon, Hack'd & Nostalgia off the top of my head.  I certainly don't want to step on any toes and I'd like to keep to the theme as much as possible & keep it distinguishable.  If you have an idea how to do it, I'll gladly take a look.  Keep in mind, orange is the most prevalent color, then white/gray and followed up by black.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #285 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 19:11:30 »
You have my vote! This looks delicious, and would love to be a part of it, if it drops. :thumb:

Any update on the 1.5U novelty?

Sorry, just excited about this set!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards

Soon™

..If work doesn't kill me first.

Near 400 votes on MD.  Thanks for the support!!  <3 you all.

Offline dunglefinker

Soon™

..If work doesn't kill me first.

Near 400 votes on MD.  Thanks for the support!!  <3 you all.

Now that the s word is trademarked, gonna have to resort to "in the near future." Thanks, Obama

Offline Niomosy

The difficult part about switching up colors is trying to keep this set different from other popular sets that use similar colors.. ie. Carbon, Hack'd & Nostalgia off the top of my head.  I certainly don't want to step on any toes and I'd like to keep to the theme as much as possible & keep it distinguishable.  If you have an idea how to do it, I'll gladly take a look.  Keep in mind, orange is the most prevalent color, then white/gray and followed up by black.

Quite honestly, the orange caps with white legends is a bit more unique.  I think 7-bit did an earlier round with those colors but it's not a combination I've seen a lot but is one I've wanted.  Thus this set stands out to me in terms of orange while being different from other orange sets.

Offline hummelm10

Re: [IC] REBEL - A Star Wars inspired SA ABS set [updated 3.12.16]
« Reply #290 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 18:53:47 »
Seriously here's what I want to just throw out there for you.  Mock up three different sets, your color schemes are fantastic.  Orange and white and charcoal are definitely the craze now and it will go excellent with a side project I am working on too geared towards the SW theme.  Run the GB through whatever channel you prefer.  Then when it ends, run the next theme maybe with legends, maybe not, completely up to you.  Own the GB!

Next run add a little extra, take a little out, people will go scrambling trading for the sets and options they wish they bought into and you'll have a better idea of what sold well and what needs to be set aside for another time.

Just some random thoughts tossed on my screen to see what sticks  :rolleyes:

Well, here was my initial 'goal' that I wasn't sure how I wanted to go about it.  Should I attempt each set separately, or run everything in one?  Individually would mean I could do a few set specific novelties and whatnot.  Altogether would be set up similar to how it is now except orange, white, red and gray alpha base kits with the white and gray modifier kits and all sets interchangeable.  Anyways:

X-Wing:
Current set in OP

B-Wing:
Show Image

A-Wing:
Show Image

Y-Wing:
Show Image

Please please run the Y-Wing with Aurebesh. Or really just run any of these including the current interest check, my wallet will hate you but my keyboard will love you.

Offline tacnificent

I don't usually nerd out on star wars stuff but these look pretty good and the incidentally the same color combo I'm planning on using for the dox up on MD :thumb:

Let me preface this by saying the following: please be gentle.

This is my extremely amateurish mockup of potential replacements for the 1.5U key.

Obviously I wouldn't expect the Neb-B to be so intricate in actual production, but it's just a jumping off point in case people thought it was interesting.  The Y-Wing is more iconic though and would fit more with the X-Wing silhouette as well.

The only other idea I had would be CR90 corvette.

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes with this.

Offline mogo

I think they're great! I don't think anyone will be offended by collaborating and open exchange of ideas and suggestions. And at the very least, the Y-wing legend looks pretty compatible with double-shot limitations. The Nebulon-B probably not so much, as you've pointed out. Good ideas knux!  :thumb:

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
Could I get an orange spacebar for an AT cherry keyboard?
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Seriously here's what I want to just throw out there for you.  Mock up three different sets, your color schemes are fantastic.  Orange and white and charcoal are definitely the craze now and it will go excellent with a side project I am working on too geared towards the SW theme.  Run the GB through whatever channel you prefer.  Then when it ends, run the next theme maybe with legends, maybe not, completely up to you.  Own the GB!

Next run add a little extra, take a little out, people will go scrambling trading for the sets and options they wish they bought into and you'll have a better idea of what sold well and what needs to be set aside for another time.

Just some random thoughts tossed on my screen to see what sticks  :rolleyes:

Well, here was my initial 'goal' that I wasn't sure how I wanted to go about it.  Should I attempt each set separately, or run everything in one?  Individually would mean I could do a few set specific novelties and whatnot.  Altogether would be set up similar to how it is now except orange, white, red and gray alpha base kits with the white and gray modifier kits and all sets interchangeable.  Anyways:

X-Wing:
Current set in OP

B-Wing:

A-Wing:

Y-Wing:

[/quote]

Please please run the Y-Wing with Aurebesh. Or really just run any of these including the current interest check, my wallet will hate you but my keyboard will love you.
[/quote]

My ultimate goal is to get this current set run first.  I would love to run the other colorways either as 1 big round afterwards or even broken up in to seperate drops.  Once REBEL is done, there will be no additional cost on the Aurebesh so every set after can also have it as an option.  Personally, my body and keyboard want this:

Let me preface this by saying the following: please be gentle.

This is my extremely amateurish mockup of potential replacements for the 1.5U key.

Show Image

Obviously I wouldn't expect the Neb-B to be so intricate in actual production, but it's just a jumping off point in case people thought it was interesting.  The Y-Wing is more iconic though and would fit more with the X-Wing silhouette as well.

The only other idea I had would be CR90 corvette.

Don't mean to step on anyone's toes with this.

Like I said above, I want to run all the sets.  I would like specific novelties for each set which the Y wing would be perfect for its respective set.  Whether this happens is probably pretty unlikely although not impossible.  I have yet to hear a peep from MD as of yet regarding the current set even.

And no, you aren't stepping on anyone's toes.  I encourage everyone interested to give me ideas!

Could I get an orange spacebar for an AT cherry keyboard?

Is that one of the huge ones over 7u?

Thanks again to everyone who has voted.  We are well over 500 now!  I'm not sure what the goal really is, it's clearly more than 200 before MD shows interest.

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
It's a modest 10u.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
It's a modest 10u.

Pretty sure SP does not make a 10u spacebar. But I could be wrong.

Offline mogo

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
It's a modest 10u.

compensating for something?  :))