Author Topic: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set  (Read 209670 times)

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set [Updated 10.16.16]
« Reply #400 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 00:26:38 »
Love the color scheme
Love even more that it's SA
Love it a ****ing **** ton that it's star wars
Absolutely hate that it's r3

Sounds like more pro's than con's to me.  :p

Yeah I definitely would have liked to see it in 1-1-2-3-4-3...I was thinking about picking up a set with aurebesh, and then picking up another set of standard alphas to mix and match with SA Dasher (blue and orange are my company colors and I think those would juxtapose quite nicely, especially with the light blue in there)

Anyways, I have never owned an R3 keyset so I can't say, but I can tell you that I've avoided purchasing them thus far, if that means anything.

I guess I see why a flat profile might be chosen because of the non-standard alphas, uniform gives it a "sci-fi" look...but with how bright this keyset is going to be with the orange, I feel like a super bright keyset would look a little better sculpted. Don't ask me why, I just have a feeling it would.

Then again, I've never used R3 so what do I know?

R3 is good.  I like the 'retro' look of SA but I don't really care for sculpted.  There are a ton of sculpted sets out and that are in progress already and I know there are plenty of people like me who enjoy R3.  Ultimately, I'm not going to design/get a set made that I wont enjoy.

While there's definitely a lot of sculpted sets there's also plenty of all R3 sets people don't think about like 1976, danger zone, ice cap, and upcoming kabuto to name a few. I agree with your last statement, maybe run a sculpted set moq and if it doesn't meet moq then it's dropped, don't think that would really take away from your R3 at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #401 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 01:21:25 »
While there's definitely a lot of sculpted sets there's also plenty of all R3 sets people don't think about like 1976, danger zone, ice cap, and upcoming kabuto to name a few.

Off the top of my head:
R3:
Nuclear Data
Dangerzone
2x 1976
Rebel
Ice Cap
Industrial

Sculpted:
2x Jukebox
2x Penumbra
2x Hyperfuse
2x Pulse
2x Commando
Carbon
Modern Selectric
Nantuket Selectric
Retro
Godspeed
TAC
Troubled Minds
Dasher & Dancer
Hackd By Geeks
Calm Depths
Oblivion
Grand Budapest
Camping
Photo Studio
Round 5, 6, 7
Valentine
RetroBlight
Green Screen

It wouldn't hurt to have another R3 option.

maybe run a sculpted set moq and if it doesn't meet moq then it's dropped

That could be an option, but then there would be a ton of issues I foresee with that.  There's 2 alpha & mod options, people are going to want both included.  Then there will be those that want X key added for X layout.  It's basically a never ending cycle haha.  I chose R3 not only as a mere selfish option, but one that could please everyone.. well, in a sense anyways.  There's no need for even more options like cole./dov. kits as well as 1 or 2 keys here and there for this and that layout.  With trying to get Aurebesh done, that is going to be expensive as is.  R3 seemed like the easiest option to keep the cost as low as possible all the while supporting as many layouts as possible.  A sculpted set option might still be a possibility.  As I said, the last communication I had with MD was around August and they said they wanted to make this set happen on 2017.  With the amount of sets out now and waiting for a slot, I have no idea if that is even still going to happen.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Seelen

« Reply #402 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 03:15:31 »
With a Star Wars set, you definitely have timing on your side. If this hits massdrop fresh on the heels of the latest Star Wars movie, it should be a mega hit.

I personally really enjoy typing on uniform DSA keysets, I've just never tried the same for SA. I'm definitely interested in giving it a shot, and would probably work best for this set tbh...I'd just love to mix these alphas with Dasher mods, but that's not a very good reason to change a set :p

I have been meaning to pick up an r$ SA set one day, and this might have to be it.

Offline lydiainmint

« Reply #403 on: Sun, 15 January 2017, 20:41:29 »
With a Star Wars set, you definitely have timing on your side. If this hits massdrop fresh on the heels of the latest Star Wars movie, it should be a mega hit.

I personally really enjoy typing on uniform DSA keysets, I've just never tried the same for SA. I'm definitely interested in giving it a shot, and would probably work best for this set tbh...I'd just love to mix these alphas with Dasher mods, but that's not a very good reason to change a set :p

I have been meaning to pick up an r$ SA set one day, and this might have to be it.

Funny thing about star wars is you actually dont need to line it up with anything, the hype runs all year since disney got rights, and star wars collectors go nuts over anything perceived as niche or limited. Anyways I have plans for this on the rama65-a, blue/whiite LEDs on the base, dark grey, star wars theme here I come.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 01:29:18 »
You could always run R3 for one round and sculptured for another round.  As a mild curiosity, I'm wondering if the company that does XDA could handle this colorway.  Isn't that somewhere between SA R3 and DSA in terms of height while being non-sculptured?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 03:18:37 »
You could always run R3 for one round and sculptured for another round.  As a mild curiosity, I'm wondering if the company that does XDA could handle this colorway.  Isn't that somewhere between SA R3 and DSA in terms of height while being non-sculptured?

That is an interesting thought.  And with it being a Chinese? company, I wonder if novelties wouldn't be an issue with them.  Regardless, I have no idea on who to even contact to check that process, and getting in touch with anyone from MD is practically hopeless.  :))

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #406 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 07:02:21 »

That is an interesting thought.  And with it being a Chinese? company, I wonder if novelties wouldn't be an issue with them.  Regardless, I have no idea on who to even contact to check that process, and getting in touch with anyone from MD is practically hopeless.  :))

LunarisDream, jchan94 or MiTo might be able to help with XDA?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #407 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 13:22:49 »

The MD lack of communication gets me.  You would think that they'd want to keep in better contact with the community given their willingness to throw money at the screen on a regular basis with cap sets.  Instead, we get crickets and then, surprise!  Buy is up or at least coming soon and even the set creator had no idea.

I understand that they don't want to give out time slots for buys well ahead of time as things change.  They've extended some buys and others have ended up pulled.  That's understandable.  A basic confirmation would be helpful though.  Something like, "okay, we've got the info and everything's set.  You've got a slot and once we get closer to launch, we'll confirm the time frame for the buy."

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #408 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 15:27:59 »

As was said I believe Lunarisdream should be able to figure something out, he knows a lot about XDA and as far as I know the profile's creator/responsible, though his name escapes me right now, is fairly involved in the community - hopefully you'd be able to work something, as a huge fan of DSA I'm all for more XDA sets.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #409 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:53:50 »
What's the status on this?

Also out of curiousity, is there any chance of the Novelties pack including a 1.75 keycap and perhaps a second 2.25 one?
I'm asking because that would allow truefox owners to buy the nolveties only without having to buy the Compatibility pack for 1 or 2 keys only.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 March 2017, 11:59:03 by Valaris »

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #410 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 19:27:10 »

Also out of curiousity, is there any chance of the Novelties pack including a 1.75 keycap and perhaps a second 2.25 one?
I'm asking because that would allow truefox owners to buy the nolveties only without having to buy the Compatibility pack for 1 or 2 keys only.

No update.  I messaged Yanbo from MD probably 2 months ago and haven't heard anything.  I'm going to assume that since SP is booked out for the year that this set isn't even in the pipeline or else I probably would've heard something by now.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #411 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 19:54:31 »

No update.  I messaged Yanbo from MD probably 2 months ago and haven't heard anything.  I'm going to assume that since SP is booked out for the year that this set isn't even in the pipeline or else I probably would've heard something by now.

Such a shame.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #412 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 00:10:48 »

Such a shame.

I agree, especially since it's closing in on 1800 votes on the MD poll and hearing last year that they wanted to make it happen in 2017.

I have the OP mostly done, I probably won't update it until I hear something.  Not a huge deal regardless, I'm working on some bigger non keycap related projects at the moment anyways.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #413 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 08:03:13 »
I guess Project Rogue Fox will have to wait! It doesn't help I'm currently binging the Rogue Squadron book series so I'm fully immersed in Star Wars right now, it's making the wait even harder.

Offline Rwhite025

• I love 40%
Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set
« Reply #414 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:02:02 »
Because of SP's backlog, would you be running this through Maxkey? I really like the set though!
I was looking too hard, when I should have been looking more easy.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #415 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 12:28:25 »
Because of SP's backlog, would you be running this through Maxkey? I really like the set though!

mangoPog

Offline Valaris

« Reply #416 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 13:18:41 »

I've seen some recent pictures of their SA sets, they look pretty damn good. I would be all up for this if it happened with Maxkey instead of SP.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #417 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 17:22:51 »

I've seen some recent pictures of their SA sets, they look pretty damn good. I would be all up for this if it happened with Maxkey instead of SP.

Which ones?  The ones that MaxKey has in GB status with pictures are renders.  AFAIK there were issues with the molds that MaxKeys received from SP, basically BACK SPACE and SHIF T are some of the most known issues but I believe there are others.  I'm on the fence with MaxKeys until we see some actual photos of their current work.  There are reasons I'm sure besides SP's blatant upcharging with why Maxkeys would sell for only $75 when the typical cost from SP is at least double that estimate. 

My 2 cents which are worth... exactly $0.02

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #418 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 02:42:11 »
MaxKey might be interesting.  There's a group buy up on zFrontier for them currently.  It would be nice to have another spherical caps player to deal with.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #419 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 09:07:16 »
So I'm curious, with the recent mess up of SA Metro. Would people like this set in PBT rather than ABS since the wait time for PBT is like 2 months instead of a year?

Offline Jedi

« Reply #420 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 09:25:16 »
So I'm curious, with the recent mess up of SA Metro. Would people like this set in PBT rather than ABS since the wait time for PBT is like 2 months instead of a year?

Most likely not for two reasons.  PBT would most likely mean dye subliminated and the colors will most likely not match the OP.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #421 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 09:33:25 »

Most likely not for two reasons.  PBT would most likely mean dye subliminated and the colors will most likely not match the OP.

Gotcha

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #422 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 13:02:17 »

I have actually thought about PBT.  A simple swap to black legends would still look alright I think.  In doing that, since white is pretty important to the theme I may drop the gray mods and maybe do some type of gray color pack for those that still want the gray option.

Also with dyesub, the Aurebesh Alpha set should be much easier and cheaper to do. 

Maybe I should just skip Massdrop and see about getting this in a 'set of the month' from PMK.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #423 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 13:16:53 »
I won't be in on this as I don't like all R3. But you should check to see how well they can recreate that orange on pbt, and also know you'll be losing that nice shine to the keys.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #424 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 13:31:12 »
What if you change vendors just before they decide to launch the drop?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #425 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 13:35:22 »

Ideally I would hear something back from MD.. but it's been months already.  :))

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #426 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 13:37:31 »
I won't be in on this as I don't like all R3. But you should check to see how well they can recreate that orange on pbt, and also know you'll be losing that nice shine to the keys.

OAX or OAZ both look decent.  I would get color chips before finalizing that regardless if it's ABS or PBT.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #427 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 14:26:07 »

Ideally I would hear something back from MD.. but it's been months already.  :))

Dang

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #428 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 17:38:03 »

I guess I'm out of the loop. What happened with SA metro?

Custom KC60

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #429 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 18:30:38 »

I guess I'm out of the loop. What happened with SA metro?

Too expensive.  Drop was cancelled shortly after it went up on MD.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #430 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 21:44:35 »

I have actually thought about PBT.  A simple swap to black legends would still look alright I think.  In doing that, since white is pretty important to the theme I may drop the gray mods and maybe do some type of gray color pack for those that still want the gray option.

Also with dyesub, the Aurebesh Alpha set should be much easier and cheaper to do. 

Maybe I should just skip Massdrop and see about getting this in a 'set of the month' from PMK.

However you decide to go, I'm in.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #431 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 00:53:18 »

I always find the orange/black color combo very Halloween-esque.  It could work but I wonder.  The other option might be orange legends on a lighter cap like gray or white.

Offline deeoh

« Reply #432 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 20:36:33 »

Count me in. As long as those Aurebesh alphas are around, I'm in.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #433 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 10:55:38 »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #434 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 11:08:13 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #435 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 13:49:55 »
I had some fun with that render. Your case design is awesome :)

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #436 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 06:20:09 »
d-d-d-d-d-d-ddamn I would buy the **** out of that combo

Offline punkpc

« Reply #437 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 21:52:41 »
Show Image

Some one needs to make that case for real. I would buy it.  :thumb:

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #438 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 23:24:30 »

Show Image

Some one needs to make that case for real. I would buy it.  :thumb:

Working on it. ;)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline TypicalOranges

« Reply #439 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 23:39:53 »
I am fairly new to the mechkeyboard community in general, but I was wondering if you had considered going with the company that does the MT3 keys that are currently on MassDrop atm?

They do dye subbing and it's thick PBT. I'm not at all sure of what that company has in store for their future considering their very first drop is still in motion, but it seems like something that is worth checking. Especially so considering SP seems to have trouble producing sets quickly and Maxkeys seems to have quality issues (and doubleshotting a new alphabet sounds... expensive).

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #440 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:29:45 »
I am fairly new to the mechkeyboard community in general, but I was wondering if you had considered going with the company that does the MT3 keys that are currently on MassDrop atm?

They do dye subbing and it's thick PBT. I'm not at all sure of what that company has in store for their future considering their very first drop is still in motion, but it seems like something that is worth checking. Especially so considering SP seems to have trouble producing sets quickly and Maxkeys seems to have quality issues (and doubleshotting a new alphabet sounds... expensive).
MT3 uses a process called dye sublimation for the legends which is, more or less, a printing process. So you can't print legends that are lighter than the base cap color. In this case it means you couldn't do the white on orange. They could do the dark gray on orange, but that would probably change the feel of the set more than the designer would like.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #441 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:49:16 »
Could you add a "Ç" cap to the Int kit? It's the only key left for my PT layout and almost no keysets have it.
Other than that, I'll be all over this like hotcakes when this out (ç or no ç).
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:51:14 by jihadu »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #442 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 23:56:47 »
If it's dyesub, the legend colors would need to change.  If they can add doubleshot capabilities, it moves to MaxKeys, or stays with SP then the colors can remain as-is.  There's a Chinese maker doing reverse dyesub but the quality's not fantastic at this point.

Offline TypicalOranges

« Reply #443 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 00:39:08 »

MT3 uses a process called dye sublimation for the legends which is, more or less, a printing process. So you can't print legends that are lighter than the base cap color. In this case it means you couldn't do the white on orange. They could do the dark gray on orange, but that would probably change the feel of the set more than the designer would like.

Oh I'm sorry. I wasn't aware of the limitation of dye subbing. Thank you for explaining.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #444 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 17:27:53 »
More renders

167271-0

167273-1

Offline Bob

• Kaleidographer
« Reply #445 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 01:33:24 »
Very interested in this for the uniform R3 orange alphas for my POS board. Any chance of 1x1 unit orange blanks being made available?
TG3 BL82, Cherry MX clears
Access IS 15x8 matrix layout, Cherry MX blacks

Offline ski_

« Reply #446 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 21:52:43 »
Loving the set!  How about two long novelty keys for the ergodox thumb cluster-- something like the yellow cation key shown in the 1.25U novelty set?

Offline Valaris

« Reply #447 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 07:35:19 »
Out of curiousity, have you considered releasing this in another profile while you look for someone to make it in SA?
**** I'd buy this in XDA just to tide me until SA gladly.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #448 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 08:27:31 »
Out of curiousity, have you considered releasing this in another profile while you look for someone to make it in SA?
**** I'd buy this in XDA just to tide me until SA gladly.

Maybe. ;)

Things may or may not be in motion on this set, I just have a few bigger projects in the works at the moment.

Offline Valaris

« Reply #449 on: Tue, 25 July 2017, 08:54:39 »
Great to hear! I need me some aurabesh on my work keyboard.