Author Topic: Rapid Trigger technology, Hall effect magnetic switches  (Read 3403 times)

Offline MaximilianKohler

• My youtube channel
Rapid Trigger technology, Hall effect magnetic switches
« on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 14:42:54 »
I don't see a thread about this so I thought I'd start one.

These switches address an issue I complained about many years ago: the inaccuracy of mechanical switches (specifically for FPS games) due to the travel distance and the midway actuation.

I haven't been following the keyboard world but today I learned about Rapid Trigger technology which seems to be one way to solve this problem.

Rapid Trigger technology utilizes Hall effect magnetic switches to create custom actuation and reset points for every individual switch that can be adjusted on the fly at any point. https://www.ggrecon.com/reviews/endgame-kb65he-review/

What this allows as such is for key presses to deregister or 'reset' the moment that you lift your finger off the switch, as opposed to having to wait until the switch reaches its fixed reset point on a standard keyboard.

Rapid Trigger & Actuation Point Explained
High-level, competitive CS 1.6 player.
My reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ2riVNLJly0KG7Z8albMETEmbRB8bCzd

Offline Prince Valiant

Re: Rapid Trigger technology, Hall effect magnetic switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 19:02:41 »
Buy one of the boards from Wooting and report back?

Offline MaximilianKohler

• My youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 04:42:30 »
I don't play competitive games anymore, so I couldn't justify the cost. But I learned about them from this Boardzy guy who tested out a few:
My reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ2riVNLJly0KG7Z8albMETEmbRB8bCzd

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 06:41:29 »
are you asking if you should get one? i don't get what you're asking lol
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline MaximilianKohler

• My youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 07:14:03 »
I'm not asking anything, I'm just creating a thread about them since I didn't see one. I'm interested in reading other people's experiences, comparisons, and other info.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 07:44:35 »
I'm not asking anything, I'm just creating a thread about them since I didn't see one. I'm interested in reading other people's experiences, comparisons, and other info.

Oh, yeah.

I love mine personally. I think if you really want there to be no room for bottlenecking in terms of peripherals then the Wooting is perfect. some people don't like how it sounds for normal everyday typing but i like it, though stabilizers need lubing. the switches pretty much feel free floating with how smooth they are and the software is easy and doesn't use all of your resources like razer synapse

switching from normal actuation to rapid trigger takes a lot of getting used to and you will definitely make mistakes and miscalculations, but once you get used to it you will feel like the game is reading your mind. you think of where you want to move and the keyboard does it pretty much lol

if you're into cars, think of a custom keyboard as a Ferrari 812 GTS and a wooting keyboard as an 812 Competizione. its built for performance and it delivers but luxury mechanical keyboards will be more daily drive-able
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2024, 07:48:48 by mohawk1367 »
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 22:40:53 »
This technology is really interesting. I'm not a competitive gamer (I just play games on a custom keyboard) but I could see how this stuff could be really useful for people who require quick reaction speeds. I'm really looking foward to seeing more of this stuff, especially at more accessible prices, and even custom keyboards that take advantage of the tech (I know geon.works is working on a hall effect keyboard at least which is really cool)
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 13:11:37 »
I have not tried it but the feel and sound may be bad which will discourage me from trying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 February 2024, 13:43:39 »
I have not tried it but the feel and sound may be bad which will discourage me from trying it.

I know soundtests aren't very accurate unless they know what they are doing (like a lot of soundtests use mono vocal mics which isn't very good for sound tests) but from what I heard it wasn't great in the wooting board specifically, but the switches didn't sound too bad in some of the aftermarket cases that people used (like there was one with a fjell that was fine)

But the thing is I don't think you are buying these keyboards for the sound, more for the performance and feel, which from what I've heard, seems good. Do want to try out the wooting board though, love trying out different stuff.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Cree

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 February 2024, 06:16:18 »
Has anyone got any experience with the Gateron magnetic switches? Like the ones available with the Holy60 atm,
Im super interested in them but im not sure if they would be comparable to the Lekker switches in the Wooting. Im still fairly competitive in the fps games I play so the minute details are interesting.

Offline HeadlessHorseman

• Kiwis have it tougher than you
    • My yt channel
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 February 2024, 01:29:43 »
I wonder how long its gonna take for something like this to go open source, or open source keeb software in general would be nice

Offline marcusr

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 March 2024, 08:09:55 »
Has anyone got any experience with the Gateron magnetic switches? Like the ones available with the Holy60 atm,
Im super interested in them but im not sure if they would be comparable to the Lekker switches in the Wooting. Im still fairly competitive in the fps games I play so the minute details are interesting.

I have made a table comparison of recent Gateron magnetic switches: https://www.hlplanet.com/gateron-magnetic-switches/ (I hope this isn't spam)

Personally, I have used the Magnetic Jade in my Wooting 60 and they feel great.

Offline Exquite

• GeekAnubis
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 March 2024, 15:23:09 »

I know soundtests aren't very accurate unless they know what they are doing (like a lot of soundtests use mono vocal mics which isn't very good for sound tests) but from what I heard it wasn't great in the wooting board specifically, but the switches didn't sound too bad in some of the aftermarket cases that people used (like there was one with a fjell that was fine)

But the thing is I don't think you are buying these keyboards for the sound, more for the performance and feel, which from what I've heard, seems good. Do want to try out the wooting board though, love trying out different stuff.
Ye I have watched the Wooting 60 review and the sound is so gaming :)) . I'm not hating it but the sound is weird not in a good way. I have hoped to try some new sound besides some ordinary thock, thick, clack bla bla to something new a bit but the Wooting is a little bit disappointing.
I'm a Color lover and a designer.

Offline blondie

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 11:27:23 »
I have a few comments regarding this topic. First, as to speedy key presses, I have often wondered why we don't see flip-flops employed to remove all need for key press sampling.

Here's a set of examples of debounce circuits:
https://circuitcellar.com/research-design-hub/design-solutions/how-to-eliminate-switch-bounce/

As it states under method 2, 1, 2, and 3 provide immediate output with no debounce delay. My only guess is that the components needed for these circuits may make the board too expensive, though I would think Hall effect sensors would as well.

Regarding the Hall effect switches, there was a guy on the Reddit forum, and he has a Youtube channel (I forget the name) working out how to make custom key switches using magnets to simulate tactility. You could customize key travel, bump placement, and actuation force with those. Then since he already has magnets, he simply added Hall effect sensors to them as well.

One of the most interesting things about using Hall effect sensors to me is that you can make the key analogue instead of just a simple digital on/off switch. I could have linear switches on my arrow and page up/down keys, and the further I press on them, the faster the web page scrolls.

A final point to make. I think if you buy Gateron or other Hall effect switches and put them into your existing keyboard, you will not receive the speed improvement. That's because the firmware in the keyboard still thinks it needs to sample the key for debounce purposes. I imagine the Wooting keyboard would be designed to not even have to worry about debounce, and maybe there is existing firmware in QMK or elsewhere that supports these kinds of switches.