Author Topic: Beer Spill.  (Read 5238 times)

Offline Bruce

• http://www.keyboardco.com
Beer Spill.
« on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 08:45:19 »
One of our customers has had an unfortunate beer spill on his Filco with Cherry Browns.
Has anyone here had a similar accident? And what would you recomend to get the switches nice and smooth again.
I'd normally recomend a squirt of WD40 but would be interested to hear any alternative remedies.

Offline Bruce

• http://www.keyboardco.com
Beer Spill.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 16:23:26 »
Hi Ripster

Thanks for this. He reported it was working but very sticky on several keys - I don't think he'd done anything to clean it up. We told him give a good dose of WD40 only on the basis it is pretty well ruined anyway so nothing to lose. And we got lucky - it worked and he's Mr Happy Filco experience all over.

We use WD40 a lot. But I must stress this is not officially approved way to treat your keyboard.
You're dead right. We get a heap of spills and membranes NEVER survive. We sell many washable keyboards, one you can put in the dish washer, so any serial sinners have to use those.

On a related note. Have you seen this?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1277711/Is-keyboard-health-hazard-Dirty-consoles-attracting-rodents.html
Yuck!!

Offline bitflipper

Beer Spill.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 16:37:50 »
Quote from: Bruce;182122

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1277711/Is-keyboard-health-hazard-Dirty-consoles-attracting-rodents.html
Yuck!!

I'm not feeling well - going home. I've got QWERTY tummy! Ya think my boss will buy it?

I want silver plated anti-microbial key caps.

Offline itlnstln

Beer Spill.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 16:44:32 »
This is one of the reasons I got Silestone countertops.  The problem is, the stone pattern and the color make it very hard to see messes, so you never really know when you have it clean.  It's a good thing it's anti-bacterial.

Offline Nonmouse

Beer Spill.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 16:54:23 »
A good thorough cleaning with a terpene-based cleaner, preferably one designed for circuit board cleaning.  Thorough rinse with distilled or, preferably, de-ionized or reverse-osmosis water (this avoids the corrosion issues)  An optional, but recommended, rinse with high-percentage iso-propyl alcohol or acetone (NOT nail polish remover) to drive out the water and speed drying time.

The EPA has a booklet on semi-aqueous cleaning methods that may help.

Offline Rajagra

Beer Spill.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 17:29:24 »
Yuck!!

Ewww.
Time for some words of comfort...

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Beer Spill.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 19:31:31 »
What beer was it? :)
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Beer Spill.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 04:39:58 »
Yuck!!

My thoughts exactly when I realized it was the Daily Mail =P

Offline hyperlinked

Beer Spill.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 05:31:46 »
Quote from: itlnstln;182135
This is one of the reasons I got Silestone countertops.  The problem is, the stone pattern and the color make it very hard to see messes, so you never really know when you have it clean.  It's a good thing it's anti-bacterial.

Do they make shirts made out of that stuff?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Megaweapon

Beer Spill.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 08:59:34 »
Aren't you supposed to avoid using WD40 as a lubricant on anything you plan on keeping?

Something about it gumming up and causing damage, I thought...
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline itlnstln

Beer Spill.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 09:08:59 »
That's why I use butter.  KY is pretty good, too; it's water-based.

Offline Rajagra

Beer Spill.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 09:19:38 »
Quote from: Megaweapon;183110
Aren't you supposed to avoid using WD40 as a lubricant on anything you plan on keeping?

Something about it gumming up and causing damage, I thought...

WD40 is mostly solvent with a miniscule amount of lubricant. If you use it on anything that was greased before, the grease will be washed away and it will end up being far less lubricated that it was before. WD40 is great as a Water Dispersant and cleaner and to some extent as a rust preventative. But as a pure lubricant it is one of the worst choices.

Quote from: itlnstln;183115
That's why I use butter.

"I'll drink to that!"
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 May 2010, 09:27:38 by Rajagra »

Offline itlnstln

Beer Spill.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 09:25:26 »
One of the best all-purpose, spray-on lubricants I have used is something marketed as "garage door lubricant."  It is sold in DIY stores in the garage door section (duh), and I believe it's silicone-based.  Rajagra's right, though, WD-40 helps make things move not so much through lubrication but by using a solvent to clean out the crap that's preventing the motion.  WD-40 works best in applications where something like a hinge has rusted stiff and the rust needs to be dissolved to free the hinge; something that pure lubrication really doesn't do well.

Offline Infinite north

Beer Spill.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 12:24:52 »
If it were me and the whole keyboard was drenched I think I would get a big enough container to put the keyboard in upside down and fill it with rubbing alcohol enough to reach the switches. spend some time actuating the keys, pull it out and give it a day to dry. if the contacts are greased this might not work so well though.

Offline itlnstln

Beer Spill.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 12:30:01 »
You know what I would do?  I would call myself a "dumbass,"  save up for a few weeks, and buy a new keyboard.  The other thing I would do is never drink beer by my keyboard ever again.  That's one reason why I like to have a very uncluttered desk.  I keep drinks far away out of the normal movement paths for my hands and arms.

Offline Rajagra

Beer Spill.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 May 2010, 17:39:43 »
Curry powder is good for soaking up beer. At least when it is in an Indian takeaway.

Offline Nonmouse

Beer Spill.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 May 2010, 20:50:16 »
Quote from: Rajagra;185525
Curry powder is good for soaking up beer. At least when it is in an Indian takeaway.

So you're saying Bruce should take his keyboard to an Indian take-out restaurant and ask them to dunk it in the curry chicken pot?

Hey- is this why all those "beige" mechanical boards from the 80s and 90s are yellowish- unsticking beer-spilled keys?

Offline aegrotatio

Beer Spill.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 May 2010, 21:27:19 »
I have washed, or more correctly, "rinsed," many membrane keyboards and once I let them dry out completely they all have worked.

More than once I've come downstairs after a bender to find a keyboard filled with old booze, presumably spilled into it.  One time it was a $100 Kensington trackball.  The keyboard survived (and I still use it) but the trackball did not.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow