Author Topic: FC660C or Realforce Type-S  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Justintoxicated

FC660C or Realforce Type-S
« on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:12:30 »
I can't decide, I have been thinking to try the smaller form factor but I do use the F keys a lot for debugging and not sure I would like a non standard layout.

I don't like the realforce boards appearance though. 

How close is the dentalbands mod for the FC660C the to the Type-S?  This will be used in a work environment for software development where the F keys are used constantly for the IDE and web browser debuggers.

I'm going to give up waiting on the novatouch.

Also the realforce is made in Japan while the FC660C is made in china?  Maybe thats enough reason right there to get the realforce and deal with the look of the board?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: FC660C or Realforce Type-S
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:28:55 »
From everything I've heard, a lot of people prefer the Fc660c  to the realforce. I can't speak for the fc660c because I've never used one, but I personally love the realforce. If you do go with the fc660c,  it's not expensive to silence mod topre at all
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:39:36 »
From everything I've heard, a lot of people prefer the Fc660c  to the realforce. I can't speak for the fc660c because I've never used one, but I personally love the realforce. If you do go with the fc660c,  it's not expensive to silence mod topre at all

Yea I also see alot of people seem to like the 55g the most, could this one also be silenced easy enough?  Of course they are all of stock for the 55g boards anyways right now.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:41:29 »
The FC660C layout was difficult for me to get used to.  As of now it's been tabled from Dev to IRC duty.  That being said, the feel/sound of the FC660C is absolutely amazing.  It's one of the keyboards that feels as good as it sounds!

The Type-S is f'n annoying because it's over $200 bucks and while most of the keys are silent you can still hear metal rattling under backspace/enter/shift/etc.  Oddly, while some previous reviews complained about the spacebar being louder mine didn't have that problem.

Also if you are typing without a wrist rest I found the FC660C much more comfortable to type on.

Hope this helped!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:42:44 »

Yea I also see alot of people seem to like the 55g the most, could this one also be silenced easy enough?  Of course they are all of stock for the 55g boards anyways right now.

I actually just silenced my 55g not too long ago. Its very easy. I followed a guide for the o2dazone mod
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 23:23:53 »
Just stop writing buggy software and get a HHKB. :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 02:57:56 »
Chances are you will miss the F-row keys on the FC660C.  That, plus the arrow keys, are what I miss most on this HHKB.  Although I am getting used to the Fn+[;'/ to get arrow key operation, nevertheless for function keys I still have to look.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 10:05:02 »
Function keys aren't a huuuuge problem on the 660C, but for serious coding work I usually stick to the RF so I don't have to look.

Of course, you could get a Silent 87U and a 55g 87U, swap sliders, end up with standard variable 87u, sell it and end up with a 55g Silent :-o

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 12:17:19 »
Function keys aren't a huuuuge problem on the 660C, but for serious coding work I usually stick to the RF so I don't have to look.

Of course, you could get a Silent 87U and a 55g 87U, swap sliders, end up with standard variable 87u, sell it and end up with a 55g Silent :-o

How hard is this to do and would an ergo weighted realforce still sell in the for sale forum?  Kind of a pain to re-sell stuff but that that does indeed sound like an awesome end product.  I use my cherry brown keyboard at work and haven't had any complaints although I do work on not bottoming the keys.  So maybe silencing isn't critical.  Not sure how much I would miss those Function keys either, some people just click on the buttons to debug with the mouse but I tend to use the keyboard.  I still do not like the way the realforce boards look but I guess I would have to go with the all black version...  Not sure that I would be the kind of person to like heavier weighted keys either... It seems that the lighter weight of the keys is one of the best things about the mechanical over a typical rubber dome.

I don't know what I am liking about the fc660c so much, maybe it's just the grey key caps, the realforce options look like keyboards I would use in the early 90s lol.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:22:40 »
Yeah, the 660 is pretty sweet. There's just something super satisfying about it.

Swapping sliders wouldn't be that bad. I eventually plan on doing that do my 55g, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 23:03:50 »
The FC660C layout was difficult for me to get used to.  As of now it's been tabled from Dev to IRC duty.  That being said, the feel/sound of the FC660C is absolutely amazing.  It's one of the keyboards that feels as good as it sounds!

The Type-S is f'n annoying because it's over $200 bucks and while most of the keys are silent you can still hear metal rattling under backspace/enter/shift/etc.  Oddly, while some previous reviews complained about the spacebar being louder mine didn't have that problem.

Also if you are typing without a wrist rest I found the FC660C much more comfortable to type on.

Hope this helped!

So for development neither keyboard is good and I should stick to my blackbird?

Offline dante

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 23:23:01 »

Hope this helped!

It's about personal preference.  Maybe the 660C might suit you - you'll have to try and simulate the layout experience in your mind.   The 87-Silent was a turn off because at 2 bills I expect the entire board to be silent.  It was very annoying that the space bar was perfectly silent but you had all these other keys that still had a metallic sound when typing.

My current development board is a Topre Typeheaven and I love it to bits.  I will always swap in keyboards at home for various reasons but my Type Heaven has been my work board for around 6 months now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 23:26:33 »

Hope this helped!

It's about personal preference.  Maybe the 660C might suit you - you'll have to try and simulate the layout experience in your mind.   The 87-Silent was a turn off because at 2 bills I expect the entire board to be silent.  It was very annoying that the space bar was perfectly silent but you had all these other keys that still had a metallic sound when typing.

My current development board is a Topre Typeheaven and I love it to bits.  I will always swap in keyboards at home for various reasons but my Type Heaven has been my work board for around 6 months now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The solution to the metallic sound you're talking about is to add some lube to the stabilizers. I had it on my RF until I did that.

Offline dante

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 23:33:28 »
The solution to the metallic sound you're talking about is to add some lube to the stabilizers. I had it on my RF until I did that.

Which is complete and utter BS.  I'm sorry - I expect more from a Realforce board.  The QC is just horrible and leaves an impression that they just don't care.

On the other hand, the cheaper Typeheaven and 660C are IMHO the best Topre typing experiences.  They feel and sound great.

It makes me eager to try out the NovaTouch to see how it compares to its siblings.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:13:51 »

Hope this helped!

Interesting to hear.  I think I could get by without the F keys and hitting pressing an extra key for the others that are missing.  It certainly is probably not optimal but I think I could get used to it.  I do not like having the fullsize keyboard on my desk at work, but normal minus the TK is small enough to help and make room for a mouse.  I think I sort of understand the metal sound your talking about.  I had a thermaltake Poseidon I bought due to the price and the stabilizers were really ****ty so I returned it.  Switches don't make the whole keyboard.  The FC660C/EG is $220 though, so it's actually more expensive than the Realforce 55g, which seems strange considering that it is a made in china keyboard and that there are actually less switches.  Are the realforce key caps not dye sublimated? 

I'm tempted to just drive over to elite keyboards, but probably not much point if the 55g are not in stock.  It's a 4 hour round trip though, and they are only open on weekdays so i would have to use a vacation day :(

Total cost for the FC66-C/EG is Total $247.21 USD shipped ouch!
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 June 2014, 01:28:47 by Justintoxicated »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 10:05:28 »
I keep my 660c on my laptop and the 55g on the desktop, and split my development time between the two. IMO the 660C is perfectly suitable for development work. Granted, I do VIM/bash work on the laptop and Visual Studio on the desktop, so that might bias my opinion somewhat.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:35:51 »
Thanks I went with the 660c because the 55g was out of stock.  If it does not work out expect to see it in the for sale section :)