Author Topic: [GB] Austin R2 - Finished (R3 on the website, check latest post)  (Read 48673 times)

Offline driftingbunnies

Austin R2 - A compact keyboard for your full size needs.

Specs
  • Full aluminum top and bottom case
  • 6.5 degree typing angle
  • Sandblasted raw brass weight
  • Sandblasted raw brass plate
  • PCB is QMK/VIA compatible
  • USB C
  • Top mounted

For more information about the board, please check out https://driftmechanics.com/pages/austin-info

Color Options
  • E-White
  • Charcoal Gray
  • Cabernet Red

Price
  • Base kit (includes brass plate, PCB, fasteners, bumpons) - $525
  • Extra PCB (Limit 2) - $60 (compatible with R1/R2)
  • Extra Plate (Limit 2) Brass, Polycarb, or Carbon Fiber - $45 (Only compatible with R2)

Layout

Where to purchase

US/CAN Buyers - US/CAN buyers will be able to purchase on https://www.driftmechanics.com. These orders will only be available for US/CAN buyers and products will be available at 10AM CT on May 16th. There will be 75 units, FCFS. Extra PCBs and plates will be available 30 mins before so you can add them to your cart ahead of time.

International Buyers - Anyone outside of the US will be able to purchase through ilumkb (https://www.ilumkb.com). A product page will be available the day before and a google form will be in the description. GB starts at 3PM SGT on May 16th. Hopefully this time should work for those in EU and Asia. There will be 75 units, FCFS. ISO plate options should be available on the form.

For those who might not be able to join during the FCFS, there will be extras available after the GB units are delivered. Please do not ask until then.

Leadtime
5-6 months

Disclaimer on colors
Many of you have asked about the Charcoal gray. The chip that was provided to me doesn’t seem to match the prototype received by ilumkb so I will defer to his pictures for a more accurate color representation of the Charcoal gray. There is no guarantee that the production colors will be a 100% match to the prototype but should be very close. The manufacturer will generally match up to 90% of the pantone color and because anodization happens in batches, it is possible that not all grays or reds will turn out exactly the same. Please understand that there can be a lot of variances when it comes to which monitor you use to see the pictures or videos as well. The goal for the Charcoal gray is to be darker than the R1’s gray but not as dark as black.

Quality disclosure
A-stock is considered a board that does not have visible marks on the exterior parts of the board when the case is assembled. Small anodization variations might be visible in harsh lighting. Our goal is to order enough extras so that each GB participant should receive an A-stock board.

Updates
Updates will be provided whenever they are available. Normally during the first month or two during production, there will not be any updates besides the boards being in production. Once we are getting closer to the end of the lead time, I will provide as many updates as the manufacturer will provide me. I will update the GB post for all relevant updates               

Additional pictures

For those who missed the stream, please check out the VOD for the changes between R1 and R2. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/608622670

IC Thread

Differences between R1 and R2
  • 6.5 degree angle in R2 vs 5.5 degree angle in R1
  • Small plate changes to improve sound
  • Brass weight does not cut into the case anymore
  • Cavity between PCB and bottom piece has been reduced
  • Different bumpons

Build streams

I'll post a link to the youtube videos once they're up. If you want to check out the build streams, it should also be on the twitch VODs.

TopClack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VywXmktbXkw

MechsOnDeck - https://youtu.be/ps0zO3Cc4XE

More
Next week, we will have streamers 0siris from MechsOnDeck building a prototype on Tuesday (5/5), ~8PM CT on twitch. Be sure to check out the first build at https://www.twitch.tv/mechsondeck.

On Friday of that week, we’ll also be having Quakemz from TopClack build the second prototype on Friday (5/8) on twitch as long as he receives the board on time. Check him out at https://www.twitch.tv/topclack

I’ll try to be available during these streams but I can’t promise I’ll be around the entire stream. If you have any questions about the board, feel free to ask in the beginning or drop by the discord. https://discord.gg/X6XhE6B

More
Polycarb Austin Auction

To celebrate the start of R2, I will be auctioning a 1 of 1 production polycarbonate Austin based on the R1 design. The google form will open up on the 9th and will close Monday morning (whenever I wake up) on the 11th. This polycarb case is the only one of its kind since it was based on the production files from R1 and not the prototype. The case and weight will be sold “as-is” since there are no extras to replace it. I have not taken apart the case in order to reduce the risk of stripping the threaded holes and will provide additional fasteners if you choose to replace them. Invoice will be sent via Square and payment will be required within 24 hours. If payment is not made, the case will go to the next highest bidder.

https://forms.gle/i64P2na5QHTE2K658

« Last Edit: Wed, 09 February 2022, 13:18:15 by driftingbunnies »

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin R2 - PC Auction May 9th - GB starts May 16th
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:37:23 »
5/16/20 - Orders have been closed! I would say it was a pretty successful ordering day! Each group sold out of their 75 units in a minute or less. Thank you everyone for your support to make this GB takes its first step into becoming a reality. I apologize for those who had any issues or wasn't able to grab one. There will be extras so please keep an eye out once all the GB boards have been delivered. Currently we are tallying up all of the orders and will work on placing our orders with the various vendors. Once all orders have been placed, it becomes the waiting game. I plan to update the discord and this post for any updates. However, please expect not much to happen within the first 2-3 months. Thanks!

5/21/20 - Order has been placed with the case manu and payments from both vendors have been made so they can arrange for production now. woohoo :)

6/19/20 - Manufacturer is finishing up the testing of the first board with all the screws and a slight revision was approved. Everything seems to be going well, no issues so far from the manufacturer.

7/14/20 - Boards are currently anodizing. Boxes and screws have been ordered. PCBs are still in manufacturing stage. All other accessories are already at the vendors.

8/6/20 - Boards are starting to be assembled and packed up. PCBs are stuck in customs and I need to dispute tariffs. Everything still on schedule so far.

8/13/20 - Austins are finally in assembly. I was told they were in assembly last week but the brass weights still needed sand blasting. With regards to PCBs. they're in my city but DHL still hasn't released them even though I've paid the duty on them. One of the packages are also "delivered" even though I do not have them but there will be a DHL agent contacting me tomorrow about what needs to be done. I don't doubt that I'll receive 2/3 pieces but I hope they actually have the 3rd piece and just scanned it wrong. Due to the current situation, the case manu will be shipping in batches since they're only allowed to ship 100kg each day. They also need to order stronger cartons to ship them so hopefully it'll only delay us maybe a week or so. A lot of these things are out of our control but rest assured, I will continue to work behind the scenes to try to get the Austin out as quickly as I can. Based on the current timeline, I still think we're doing really well so please be patient :). Please check the discord for pictures.  :thumb:

8/20/20 - So I just got off the phone with DHL. It's been 7 days since the inquiry was opened and they're basically saying that the two PCB packages are lost. They're thinking it was mis-sorted and went somewhere else. I've emailed the PCB manu and am asking them to start working on making more PCBs as soon as possible. I'm not sure how they're going to handle it but I'll see what they can do. Currently I have 40 pieces so probably the first 20-30 or so orders shouldn't be delayed (depending on how many extra PCBs were ordered). Sorry for the bad news but sometimes these things happen. Hopefully my next update will be more exciting.

8/26/20 - Boards have been picked up by the shipping company and should take 10-15 days to get to me. The PCB manufacturer has agreed to remake the PCBs and should be able to ship them out to be by the middle of September. Hopefully if everything runs smoothly from here on out, we should be able to still get boards out according to schedule.

9/10/20 - Boards have been received! I'm waiting for one last box of cases that hopefully should arrive today or tomorrow. PCB manufacturer said the PCBs should be ready to be shipped early next week. I've started shipping some of the boards and will continue to work on QC'ing/shipping in batches. The boards weren't packaged in the best manner so some of the packaging boxes were damaged and/or dirty. In order to not cause any delays, I'll be using the packaging boxes that are still intact and will order new packaging boxes for the extras. Also, as a reminder, A-stock is considered a board that does not have visible marks on the exterior parts of the board when the case is assembled. However, due to how e-white is finished, there might be small specks caused from dust while the e-white was curing.

9/23/20 - PCBs have been received! I'll start shipping out batches tomorrow! I hope to get out everything by the end of the week. :)

10/18/20 - I believe all units have been shipped or packaged to be shipped now. Extras raffle will be announced later this month. I'm still waiting for packaging before I can ship them. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2020, 12:36:00 by driftingbunnies »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 12:18:33 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline aiwa501

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:45:45 »
Awesome looking board.  GL with GB.

Offline f1

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 14:38:01 »
It's finally here!! Thank you!

Sent from my smartphone which I have. Case, charger and everything.

Offline fantasyrunner

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 15:00:47 »
Good luck!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 17:45:30 »
Heard the PCB sucks, tell your PCB designer to work better this time
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 18:39:07 »
Is there pics of gray? If not when pic?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 18:48:41 »
Is there pics of gray? If not when pic?

Apologies, added some to the end of the OP

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 19:55:56 »
Heard the PCB sucks, tell your PCB designer to work better this time

I heard he's working on stuff...i have yet to see anything yet  :mad:

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 12:44:23 »
Stoked for this!

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 13:29:39 »
I NEED THIS!!!

Offline Magas

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:46:20 »
I'm having such a hard time deciding on if I want the RED or the WHITE version... I have the R1 Black so my mind is telling me to go R2 White but at the same time... I REALLY want to see what that Red looks like as I plan on using Darling with it...

Anyone have any thoughts on how Darling would look on that red? Maybe white is the better choice since the Artisans are White as well.... HMMMMMMMM

Offline cnbrauns30

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 07:03:43 »
Asking for opinions- I'm planning on using GMK Cafe with this board. Was initially planning on getting WHITE (as I think that would probably look best with Cafe), but second-guessing with the CHARCOAL GRAY. I've never had a white keyboard before and am concerned it will be less than conservative as a full size white board. What do y'all think? Your responses are greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 19:53:39 by cnbrauns30 »

Offline whinmeister

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 09:32:02 »
Ooooh more options for a full compact board!

Offline TAKUUU

• ISO FR
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 11:18:22 »
Wow,

I'm very new to this, i'm lurking through since a moment to build my first keyboard but i guess i found the One !
Coming from a CM QuickFire TK, this compact full size is perfect to replace it.

Count me in for an ISO FR build  :p

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 07:23:20 »
PC Auction is now open :)

Offline SLPNick

Re: [GB] Austin R2 - PC Auction open for this weekend only!
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:39:21 »
It looks perfect as I want a numpad. I'm pretty new to this, how does the GB work? Is it just the first 75 to order will get it?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:52:31 »
It looks perfect as I want a numpad. I'm pretty new to this, how does the GB work? Is it just the first 75 to order will get it?

Yep, there are 75 spots for both the US and international GB. They will be available on their respective websites.

Offline SLPNick

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:01:31 »
Sorry might be a dumb question, can you use screw-in stabilisers or is it plate-mount only? Thanks

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:04:54 »
Sorry might be a dumb question, can you use screw-in stabilisers or is it plate-mount only? Thanks

Stabilizers will be PCB mount only (clip in or screw ins are fine)

Offline SLPNick

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:27:03 »

Stabilizers will be PCB mount only (clip in or screw ins are fine)

Nice, thanks ;D

Offline Whale_algorithm

Re: [GB] Austin R2 - GB Starts May 16th!
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:00:56 »
Are you going to post the results of the auction?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:03:38 »

Sorry, I posted this on the discord.

The auction form is closed! Thank you everyone for placing your bids or participating to let me know you're interested. Avg $ - 605, Median - 600, Entries - 54. Top 5 highest bids were 850 and up! Thanks everyone for your support! Good luck in R2!

I won't post the final price just to protect the privacy of the winner. If he/she decides to tell others and he/she wants me to confirm the amount, I will do so then.

Offline rkarp

• hypertext.dev
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:27:02 »

The auction form is closed! Thank you everyone for placing your bids or participating to let me know you're interested. Avg $ - 605, Median - 600, Entries - 54. Top 5 highest bids were 850 and up! Thanks everyone for your support! Good luck in R2!

I won't post the final price just to protect the privacy of the winner. If he/she decides to tell others and he/she wants me to confirm the amount, I will do so then.

Congrats!

Offline Magas

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:31:51 »
Congratulations!!!!!!!

Offline iaman

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 17:00:12 »

Dang and I was worried my bid was gonna be under the average but it turns out it was nearish to the top. Hope they enjoy their board!

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 17:59:03 »
What payment method do we use to checkout for US?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 22:26:50 »
What payment method do we use to checkout for US?

It will be through shopify so a credit card, apple pay, google pay, etc should work. Paypal will not be accepted.

Offline quadrotiles

Re: [GB] Austin R2 - GB Starts May 16th! (check post for times)
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 03:07:58 »
Hey! I filled out the form on ilumkb. Will I be getting like an invoice or something? And I also realised the form didn't ask what country I live in... so I'm probably going to have follow up with them anyway, right?

Offline SLPNick

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 09:07:36 »
OMG, I was waiting for it and completely forgot about it on the day...don't know how long it will be until there's another keyboard with this layout now...

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:01:47 »
Aaaaaand they’re gone.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:02:41 »
Got it for e-white. Hurray!

Offline portbaron

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:03:52 »
How did they all sell out in less than 1 minute?
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:04:42 »
How did they all sell out in less than 1 minute?

It had to be under a minute. So fast.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:09:16 »
Not sure why there is a limit of 75. Most GBs don't have a max. Same thing happened first round.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:12:19 »
Not sure why there is a limit of 75. Most GBs don't have a max. Same thing happened first round.

Exclusivity drives the brand, and I also imagine QC is a lot harder with more units.

Offline musdem

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:12:53 »
Had to fix my postal code and then missed the GB, feels bad man.

Offline chits

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:14:15 »
ensures a quality product, that simple.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:17:35 »
Congrats on the big success!!

Offline portbaron

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:23:58 »
That argument doesn't hold up considering with the 30+ board GBs I've been in before I've only ever had one issue, but sure.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:15:01 »
That argument doesn't hold up considering with the 30+ board GBs I've been in before I've only ever had one issue, but sure.

Have you considered that maybe he doesn't want to spend his time QC'ing hundreds of boards and he may have other things he wants to do with his life?

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:11:19 »

You've been in 30+ board GB's that haven't had limits? Please tell me where to find these magical no limit GB's, I'd love to get in on them!

Offline methbreath69

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:39:33 »
CABERNET GANG RISE UP

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:47:47 »

You've been in 30+ board GB's that haven't had limits? Please tell me where to find these magical no limit GB's, I'd love to get in on them!

He's got 30 boards from Aliexpress and thinks he's an expert now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2020, 13:56:48 by DukeEsquire »

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin R2 - Orders closed! See second post for updates
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 13:47:16 »
Orders are closed! Thanks everyone for those who purchased a board!

I hope to receive a personal board this next week and plan to stream building it. If you have any questions about the GB or how they are run, feel free to come hang out and ask your questions thanks. Please pose your questions there and not on this thread. Thanks!

Offline thanatic

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:20:51 »

He's got 30 boards from Aliexpress and thinks he's an expert now.

Wasn't 7v 75% (gok) & decent65 both unlimited GB proxied on NovelKeys? I could be wrong. Oh I think Rukia GB was also unlimited but time limited (couple weeks)

Offline Capsy

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin R2 - Orders closed! See second post for updates
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 20:01:30 »
I appreciate everyone's passion for this board. I just wanted to clear things up since it seems like there are some assumptions that I don't believe to be true.

The limit of 75 boards for both US and Int'l is not to keep the board exclusive. If you compare this round to round 1, we are delivering 4x more boards in total once GB and extras are done. If I am trying to make an exclusive board, I would have kept it the same number or less than R1.

Most GBs run by GB runner not sponsored by a full time vendor are limited groupbuys. Novelkeys has been around for a few years now and have enough manpower and capital to run an unlimited GB. Even if I did have more money, that does not reduce the amount of effort it takes to run a GB, not to mention my full time job that I still have.

As a one man crew, I am only comfortable handling up to 75 boards at this moment in time. If I become more efficient and adding more boards would not cause the quality to lower, I might consider doing more at that time.

For those who think running unlimited groupbuys means that the cost of materials essentially become zero, I would like to disagree. The design changes for this round actually made cost of materials higher than round 1 even with the increase in units. However, I felt that the changes were beneficial and made the decision to take that risk. So even though I am ordering what I consider to be a lot more than the first round, the costs from the manufacturer is more per unit than what I paid the first round. I can only do this because of the faith and support I had from R1 participants.

Thanks for your understanding and patience. I'm trying to push as many boards as I can to whoever is interested. I'm really grateful there are so many people interested. Hopefully I can strive to do more in future rounds.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2020, 20:06:26 by driftingbunnies »

Offline KeyCap75