Author Topic: Tenkeyless ALPS models from Matias — USB for PC, Bluetooth for Mac  (Read 18589 times)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
Info and video, courtesy of Engadget...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/matias-mini-quiet-laptop-pro

These use our dampened Quiet Click switches, based on the ALPS design.  Ordering and product details can be found here...

http://matias.ca/quietpro

Let me know if there are questions.

Offline iri

Re: Tenkeyless ALPS models from Matias — USB for PC, Bluetooth for Mac
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 09:30:24 »
yes! yes! yesssssss!!!!111111
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 09:36:37 »
fukken ordered!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fatmav

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 13:01:08 »
Have anyone seen the actual Force-Travel diagram of the quiet switches used in these keyboards? It's easy to find those diagrams for Cherry switches, but I have no luck for these so far.

(For example, a diagram for cherry ML can be found here: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/images/ml_force.gif )

Thanks!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 13:05:15 »
That guy has horrible typing technique.

PS: Will you guys ever release a PC version of the Tactile  Pro? I'd absolutely love a NON silenced version of that mini PC board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2013, 13:07:11 by daerid »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 15:12:54 »
Wouldn't it be more logistically simple to offer DIP switches on the bottom that toggle between PC/Mac modes - and include a keypuller and relevant keycaps of the other OS?

That's a brilliant idea, but unfortunately I think it would cannibalize sales.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 19:11:03 »
I would buy it in a second if they had clicky keys. BUT, in the video the guy clearly is typing on a mini clicky keyboard. Do you have it? I am buying it if you do. Thanks.  ;D
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2013, 19:18:32 by ValerieV »

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 00:28:03 »
The DIP switch idea really makes sense for a smallish portable keyboard, since its more likely to be carried around between Macs and PCs by the same user.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 00:31:35 »
I would buy it in a second if they had clicky keys. BUT, in the video the guy clearly is typing on a mini clicky keyboard. Do you have it? I am buying it if you do. Thanks.  ;D

There's the Mini Tactile Pro: http://matias.ca/minitactilepro/mac/
Mac layout only for now, it looks like.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 16:25:31 »
Why wouldn't they make that keyboard Bluetooth? It makes no sense. But i credit Matias for getting a jump on the competition for having a Bluetooth, USB port tenkeyless keyboard. DAS is too slow on advancing their keyboard that i wouldn't waste my time with them unless they do something soon.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 10:23:53 »
looking at the matias mini quiet pro

I love the layout, the choice of keys at corners where fingers can home in on.
pgup and pgdn conveniently located.
But I am puzzled, Y.O.Y are there two 2! OS keys instead of 1 OS key and 1 menu key.
That is beyond my understanding and I rarely if ever use the menu key anyway, but still...

<sarcasm>.oO(I wonder if it has two multimedia STOP buttons and no PAUSE button.)</sarcasm>

I intend to protest this absurdity and get one anyway, because it is frankly IMHO gorgeous, functional and considerate and I will learn to overlook this quirk.

matias mini quiet pro mmMMMmm

« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 10:26:03 by deepthawt »
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 11:19:03 »
I rarely if ever use the menu key anyway

Reckon you may have answered your own question there...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:41:56 »
SwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwEeeeet!!!

And the Laptop Pro for Mac... Does it mean no wireless version for PC?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:51:20 »
Reckon you may have answered your own question there...

LOL Indeed! i did.

At work i'm using a model M 1391401, which has neither OSkey nor Menu key , and I get by with Ctrl+Esc  and Shift+F10

I have 2 keyboards on my wish list, this one and a Model M compact.
maybe i'll nickname then whisper and shout :D

edit:
ok, i couldn't stand it anymore, I went to the matias.ca site and pre-ordered one. 
it was the 'free shipping' on pre-orders that pushed me over the edge
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:25:26 by deepthawt »
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 16:53:36 »
Quote from Matias site http://matias.ca/miniquietpro/pc/

"Available in Japan from Diatec (Filco)"

Kewl - That's pretty neat.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 20:04:05 »
When are these things shipping?  I know it said early feb but any updates?

Oddly I was already charged for it. That's not standard practise

Offline fatmav

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 20:13:05 »
I too noticed that they charged my card already. The pre-order confirmation email says mid-Feb:

Thank you for your pre-order of our new Matias keyboard.
As per the description on our order page, this keyboard is not yet in
stock and will be sent with free shipping via UPS as soon as the stock
arrives in mid February.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 21:02:39 »
Just in time for my birthday on the February 16. How pathetic that i have to buy my own birthday gift.  :mad:

Offline iri

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 09:19:25 »
they did charge my card too. didn't know i'd have to wait for mid february for it to be shipped.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 09:56:28 »
Matias has wonderful customer support. They admitted from the beginning that it wouldn't be ready until mid-Feb so i will be waiting anxiously for it. I give a lot of credit to Matias for making a compact keyboard. I wish they made the Tactile one Bluetooth or wireless but maybe some day they will.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 15:16:38 »
I use the menu key all the freaking time. I wish that Windows had the ability to do device-specific remapping :-|

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 16:44:15 »
Man the Mini Tactile Pro looks really good  :D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:59:23 »
When are these things shipping?  I know it said early feb but any updates?

The February production run of the Bluetooth model is sold out, so we're now taking pre-orders for March on that one.  The Wall Street Journal reviewed it on Saturday, and the resulting sales pushed us over the edge.  :-)

The USB models are still available for February.

Oddly I was already charged for it. That's not standard practise

Sorry about that.  It's a limitation of our online store provider (Kagi).  If you'd rather have it billed when it ships, just call us and place your order over the phone -- and mention that you want it charged only when it ships.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:15:57 »
Might have to pick up my first alps board.  Anyone with experience with both switches have a preference?  I don't care that much about noise. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 12:08:59 by gameaholic »
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline deltr

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 15:44:20 »
That guy has horrible typing technique.
QFT

Also, that design left it shaped like it is the top half of a laptop.. like it would connect to a macbook keyboard to create some sort of monster..

Offline polpo

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:04:38 »
Hilarious 'shop, deltr.

The design comes from Matias's original Tactile Pro keyboard, which is is a reference to Apple's original USB keyboards:

Which are themselves a reference to Apple's Keyboard II:
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline deltr

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:17:24 »
Hilarious 'shop, deltr.

The design comes from Matias's original Tactile Pro keyboard, which is is a reference to Apple's original USB keyboards

Haha, it all makes sense now!

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 18:30:03 »

Stock minus one... Just ordered mine.

Matias has wonderful customer support.

+1 -> I suspected a KRO problem when I got my full size Quiet Pro. It turned out to be the KVM's fault.
Meanwhile Matias provided immediate support to investigate the problem.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Dirty Bint

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 18:42:43 »
Will the mini quiet pro be available with UK layout?
I\'m so filthy, I\'m disgusting.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:36:12 »

Stock minus one... Just ordered mine.

+1 -> I suspected a KRO problem when I got my full size Quiet Pro. It turned out to be the KVM's fault.

I had a problem getting the wrong keyboard from Matias and i vented my frustration on this website and the Matias moderator intervened and helped point me in the right direction for help. This site is awesome and so is Matias! That is why they are going to be getting more of my money. It's a win win.

Offline Dirty Bint

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:13:12 »
I will repeat my question:

I\'m so filthy, I\'m disgusting.

Offline polpo

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 17:38:14 »
Matias says in this post that they'll do the Laptop Pro in UK if The Keyboard Company decides to carry them. I assume the same for the Mini Quiet Pro. So asking The Keyboard Company probably will help.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:22:36 »
Kinda a weird question but... how do you pronounce "Matias".  Is it "mah-tee-ahh-sss" or "mah-t-eye-yaa-sss"?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 00:28:27 »
Matias : update on blank keycaps?

We're gearing up for the switches now.  Should be ready to ship next week.

The keycaps will have to wait until after Chinese New Year -- March.

Why wouldn't they make that keyboard Bluetooth? It makes no sense. But i credit Matias for getting a jump on the competition for having a Bluetooth, USB port tenkeyless keyboard. DAS is too slow on advancing their keyboard that i wouldn't waste my time with them unless they do something soon.

When we started working on the Mini Tactile Pro, there was a lot of debate as to whether it should be Bluetooth or USB.  It was a close call.  Ultimately, we chose to go with USB because the Tactile Pro was USB, and the Mini gave us a small and wired option for the Mac, while the Laptop Pro served as the small wireless option.

Having said all that, we are always open to feedback, so if anyone has strong feelings either way, feel free to vent them here.  :-)

looking at the matias mini quiet pro

(Attachment Link)

I love the layout, the choice of keys at corners where fingers can home in on.
pgup and pgdn conveniently located.
But I am puzzled, Y.O.Y are there two 2! OS keys instead of 1 OS key and 1 menu key.
That is beyond my understanding and I rarely if ever use the menu key anyway, but still...

This was another compromise we made.  For Mac users who want a wired or black Mini Quiet Pro, having 2 Win/OS keys makes it easy for it to serve double-duty as a Mac keyboard.

If you want that right Win/OS key to be a Menu key, it's easy enough to remap using AutoHotkey.

The other option would be to use Shift+F10 instead (as deepthawt suggested).

Yes, and you can thank The Keyboard Company for that.  They placed Mini Quiet Pro orders for UK, German, and Nordic layouts.

Kinda a weird question but... how do you pronounce "Matias".  Is it "mah-tee-ahh-sss" or "mah-t-eye-yaa-sss"?

There are a few different ways you can pronounce it, but probably the easiest is "muh-tie-us".  :-)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 00:49:26 »

I had a problem getting the wrong keyboard from Matias and i vented my frustration on this website and the Matias moderator intervened and helped point me in the right direction for help. This site is awesome and so is Matias! That is why they are going to be getting more of my money. It's a win win.

Glad you both had positive experiences -- and thanks for saying so!  We try to take good care of everyone.

Regarding KVM switches, they are a bit of a headache when used with keyboards that have built-in hubs.  If anyone has had success with any particular model, please let me know, so I can pass the info along.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 00:58:12 »
Hilarious 'shop, deltr.

The design comes from Matias's original Tactile Pro keyboard, which is is a reference to Apple's original USB keyboards:
Show Image

Which are themselves a reference to Apple's Keyboard II:
Show Image

Yes, the lineage is pretty clear.  :-)

Having the top edge inset makes it easier to accommodate plugs into the hub -- you don't have to worry about them poking out the side, and interfering with your mouse.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 12:38:40 »
There are a few different ways you can pronounce it, but probably the easiest is "muh-tie-us".  :-)

Cool thanks now I'm ready for the Matias Tour  :D

PS: Will you guys ever release a PC version of the Tactile  Pro? I'd absolutely love a NON silenced version of that mini PC board.

lol I'm actually interested in a full size PC version Tactile Pro  :)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 18:47:06 »

lol I'm actually interested in a full size PC version Tactile Pro  :)

I think you'll see one eventually.  :-)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 10:05:39 »
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- "and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called”

I think the word is 'anticipation'

yay, February is here and that means the MMQP is soon to be on its way.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 February 2013, 10:08:38 by deepthawt »
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 10:38:14 »
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- "and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called”

We can bet on who is going to get it first...
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline iri

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 04:20:39 »

We can bet on who is going to get it first...
can we be on who is going to get it last? i will win

-Ray Bradbury

Offline simingma

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 20:53:44 »
I preordered Bluetooth and but cancelled it after receiving the tactile pro. I will definitely get one when resellers start to carry them.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 21:03:42 »
wait so your saying the bluetooth one is only available for a mac os computer....why cater to something with only a 10% market share instead of catering to all personal computers (yes macs are pcs)
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline Burz

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 21:47:08 »
Well I did it-- Went and pre-ordered a PC Mini MQP (that's a mouthful)!

I should soon be out of the keyboard ghetto. :D
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 08:55:41 »
Matias most likely is going to make a bluetooth PC mini tactile keyboard along with a mini tactile mac bluetooth keyboard. I don't understand why they didn't do it for the tactile models in the beginning but whatever. I bought the Matias Mini Tactile Mac keyboard and i can't wait. I have cleaned off my desk and it is ready for it's new home.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:15:26 »
I think you'll see one eventually.  :-)

Hell yes! This makes me very excited :)

Also, I don't remember where, but Matias said that they went with the configuration (mac+bt, pc+wired) due to market research.

There's nothing stopping you from using the BT MQP on a PC, you'd just have to remap some keys. Vice-versa for the USB MQP on a Mac

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 12:01:49 »
Personally, i like the look of the PC mini version keyboard. However, it isn't tactile and that is what i want so i bought the white mini tactile keyboard.

Offline Burz

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:17:58 »
Personally, i like the look of the PC mini version keyboard. However, it isn't tactile and that is what i want so i bought the white mini tactile keyboard.
They are ALL tactile. I think what you mean is they aren't clicky.

I still mostly use Macs, but got the PC MQP anyway. Once you setup a program like keyremap4macbook a PC keyboard becomes no impediment whatsoever.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 20:28:15 »
yes! yes! yesssssss!!!!111111
+1 ^-^

edit: LOL I   +1'd   an old post,  changed my forum prefs to have newest on top, and started reading oldest ..

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2013, 20:30:58 by deepthawt »
More

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:06:53 »
Still waiting