Author Topic: Did I break my switch?? Filco Majestouch 2  (Read 2353 times)

Offline sammsorensen

Did I break my switch?? Filco Majestouch 2
« on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 19:57:42 »
So the stem and top half of my switch broke for my six key.. I bought a new switch and attempted to replace the old, however when prying the old switch off part of the switch broke off and remained lodged into the bottom half. After 30 minutes of digging I was able to  remove the broken piece, but I feel as though I may have compromised the structure of the bottom half of the original switch. Now I am unable to put the new switch on (feels like it won't fit) and I don't want to push down too hard. Is the only way to fix this to solder off the bottom part of the switch??

Here is a picture of the bottom half of the switch:

The broken top half of the old switch:
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Did I break my switch?? Filco Majestouch 2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 20:31:48 »
You shouldn't have removed it without desoldering, that's why. You can't change switches on this style of plate without desoldering, so you won't be able to replace them as well. You'll have to desolder to remove that bottom half, and just put your new switch in, and re solder it on, then it should work again. But yeah, that old switch is probably garbage now.

Also your thumbnails are broken
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 December 2012, 20:37:22 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline sammsorensen

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 20:39:11 »
Okay, thank you!
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 20:40:48 »
The crosspoint looks mangled, you'll have to desolder the bottom half of the switch and replace the whole thing. If you live in Minnesota you can just drop it off at Arby's and I'll fix it for ya like I do for the other Minnesotans in the area.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline sammsorensen

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 21:44:29 »
Unfortunately I live in Maryland :o.. Know of any good guides w/ pictures? Everything I've seen says the pictures urls no longer exist.. :/

I'm gonna go to home depot and buy a solder iron tomorrow, any recommendations on the watts? Looking at a 40 watt at the moment.
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 21:55:40 »
You don't buy a soldering iron by wattage... I would recommend a minimum of a Weller WESD51. It's only $126.41 on Amazon right now.
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline sammsorensen

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 22:59:44 »
Uh, not spending $130 on a soldering iron to fix a single switch on my keyboard.. Any cheaper options?
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 23:15:58 »
If you only ever use it once, a cheap iron MAY work. The only cheapo iron I ever bought couldn't even melt solder, which is why I have quite a few hundred dollars of soldering equipment now. I recently upgraded my setup for SMD work, which was expensive but well worth it.

You'll also need some rolls of techspray prowick desoldering braid and kester 44 63/37 solder. Those are also expensive, but well worth it.
R.I.P.ster

Offline sammsorensen

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 23:37:23 »
Okay, thank you!
Filco MJ2 TKL brown

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 December 2012, 23:42:45 »
I can solder and desolder perfectly with a $10 solder and $5 solder sucker I bought some time ago. Just saying...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 00:09:07 »
Yeah, Radio Shack 45W desoldering iron with bulb, and a 15W grounded soldering iron have worked for me for many projects. Get some 60/40 rosin core solder in .032 size while you're there. A soldering iron holder/cleaner, some tip tinner/cleaner, and a helping hands with magnifying glass are good to have, as well. Maybe some rosin flux.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 01:09:19 »
63/37 for PCB work, NOT 60/40! 60/40 is for splicing wires.
R.I.P.ster

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 01:16:36 »
Um, yeah. What he said!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 03:01:01 »
Get some 60/40 rosin core solder in .032 size while you're there.

63/37 should be used for electronics. There are no plastic molten state with 63/37, so less chance of cold joints as it cools. 60/40 will probably work fine, but why get non-eutectic solder when it's only a few cents difference?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 04:05:50 »
A cheap soldering iron should work find if you are careful, and/or have some reasonable idea of what you are doing.

A good soldering iron will help if you are not sure.

Kinda like the difference between manual and automatic cars.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 04:12:32 »
Both manual and automatic cars work, some cheapo irons don't. They are completely different.

At least I'm not the only one who spotted that 60/40 blunder.
R.I.P.ster

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 04:25:10 »
I have a cheap soldering iron (which I've had for years, cost maybe $30), on its second tip (I used to do a bit more soldering a few years ago).  It is still going strong.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 07:04:04 »
Both manual and automatic cars work, some cheapo irons don't. They are completely different.

At least I'm not the only one who spotted that 60/40 blunder.

Sorry for my ignorance. I've always used 60/40, and never had a problem.

From RadioShack.com:
Standard 60/40 formula for electronics work. 0.032” diameter. 8.0 oz. spool.

I will defer to the experts in this case.

in memoriam

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 07:49:02 »
RadioShack and BestBuy are for the ignorant proletarians. 60/40 is for splicing wires, NOT PCB work. 63/37 is the "standard formula".
R.I.P.ster