Author Topic: Topre capacitive key feel compare to brown cherries  (Read 14337 times)

Offline itlnstln

Topre capacitive key feel compare to brown cherries
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 12:39:13 »
Quote from: wellington1869;22891
I suppose technically you could obtain springs and replace them on the 30g switches, right? (if you dont mind an additional 300 bucks for a second parts board, lol). I wonder if alps springs could be stuck under the topre dome. Wouldnt be conical i guess.

I would imagine the rubber dome is thinner, too, thus the mushy feel.  The thicker rubber domes would have a more crisp feel.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 12:40:14 »
The question is, is it a rubber dome sheet, or are the domes individual domes?

Offline alpslover

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 12:54:37 »
i haven't had the keyboard apart yet.  i think i've seen a picture of a disassembled one and rather than being a single sheet of domes or individual domes, they are strips of domes.

full-size realforce keyboards also have 55g num locks.  i find the 45g keys to be just right, and if the keyboard had all 45g keys i'd be more inclined to use it on a regular basis.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 12:55:00 »
It's a single sheet for most of the keys:
HHKB
HHKB (clearer pic)
Realforce 89U
Realforce 91UBK
Realforce 91U

Some strips in the Realforce 89 and 91US.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 26 February 2009, 14:02:17 »
Looks individual to me.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline dougy

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 27 February 2009, 21:25:08 »
I still don't get it. The rubber dome apparently constrains the spring, which gives the velvet feel Wellington talks about. But what is the actuator? Something that shorts a pair of contacts on a pcb? The Wiki gives me this "With the HHK Pro, however, a circular cone spring systems was adopted. This system is based on an electric capacitance system instead of an electrode system." Pressing the key makes the spring into a capacitor? The rubber dome is one side of the capacitor and proximity actuates it?

It boils down to this, could the thing be cut in pieces and still be reworked to function....